• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Nymerio

Bought it on a whim yesterday and I'm really liking it. Playing an outlander and I'm currently level 17. So far the outlander reminds me of the demon hunter in D3. I'm using dual pistols mostly with the rapid fire skill and a shotgun as secondary weapon. I started the game on veteran difficulty which is challenging enough for me.

As someone who has not played the first game what can I expect in terms of mods, once the tools release and workshop support is added?

SteveWD40

I am sad this thread isn't more active...

On a plus note I finally found a Shotgun spec I can use in NG+, using:

Rapid Fire (mainly just as a mana dump / trash mop ups)
Repulsion Hex (up 100% of the time)
Venomous Hail (main damage skill, great for cheesing trash packs out of LOS)
Cursed Daggers (essential for packs / bosses, opener)
Stone Pact (for longer fights, dealing with packs)

I haven't used a potion outside of a boss fight and even then I can avoid it. I have the mana regen ember in my Unique shotgun and at lvl 53 in Act 1 NG+ am finding it far more fun than the glaivespam spec.

VH is actually more powerful in my experience, mainly due to the better range but it also hits like a train.

RH is amazing, things rarely hit me at all now, I don't bother with the dodge passive anymore, slamming everything into focus, then the range, shotgun, elemental and poison passives.

Riggs

Banned
Can someone please help me here , getting really agrivated with this game. Trying to do a 2h engineer and getting my ass kicked so hard it's pathetic. I am on Veteran which is obviously a mistake, should of done normal. But I am lvl 40 and can't do much about that now. (Not playing MP)

Here is my build.

15/15 Aegis
15/15 Flamehammer
15/15 Heavy Lifting
15/15 Onslaught
15/15 Supercharge
15/15 Heal Bot

The list above makes up the primary skills of the build and should have points allocated as often as possible and are inorder of what I have experienced to be the most important from top to bottom

15/15 Fire and Spark
5-15/ Charge Reconstitution
10-15/15 Coup De Grace
15/15 Bulwark

This is a copy and paste and all these are not filled, primarily using Aegis/Flame/Heavy/Heal bot and working up bulwark

I've reset my skills and attribute points around 25 times already. (Respec mod) Mainly putting points into STR and VIT at first, but VIT does shit. So I tried STR/DEX and some vit ... still not doing shit. I die so hard especially on projectile mobs, it's to the point where I don't even want to play anymore. These projectiles are ridiculous.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how I can survive? Even put all the points I could into force field / heal bot / aegis , then flame hammer and onsalught at one point ... and I AM STILL dying non stop unless I run around like an idiot. I don't want to sword and board , really want to make this 2h build work.

Please help gaf!

SteveWD40

and I AM STILL dying non stop unless I run around like an idiot. I don't want to sword and board , really want to make this 2h build work.!

Try the runic forum class discussion for Engineer builds, there may be a 2 hander one, but all can say is that, especially in act 3 you either go 1 hand and shield or get used to mobility (running around like an idiot).

Link to the build thread, some 2 handers there:

Runic Forum

Riggs

Banned
Try the runic forum class discussion for Engineer builds, there may be a 2 hander one, but all can say is that, especially in act 3 you either go 1 hand and shield or get used to mobility (running around like an idiot).

Link to the build thread, some 2 handers there:

Runic Forum

Fair enough lol, thanks for the link.

scy

Depends on the build. 4 STR/1 DEX is essentially the best Damage option; VIT isn't great for survivability, really, barring the earlier access to better Armor you get from it. Even 1H/Shield is fine without spending points on VIT.

VIT is basically the bad stat of the game, honestly.

Riggs

Banned
I just put my str to 169, dex 80, focus 15, vit 15, .... doing so much better already. Crazy that vit sucks lol. It must be good for sword n board though I'd think.

The irony is I read that about Vit from one of the 2hander builds I linked you :)

I don't play an Engi.

The weird thing is that you gain like such minimal health from vit, I don't know why. But with the Dex crits / dodge chance / fumble recovery it's pretty nice for 2h. That link I posted has a good ratio to balance str and dex it seems.

Ocho

Can someone please help me here , getting really agrivated with this game. Trying to do a 2h engineer and getting my ass kicked so hard it's pathetic. I am on Veteran which is obviously a mistake, should of done normal. But I am lvl 40 and can't do much about that now. (Not playing MP)

Here is my build.

15/15 Aegis
15/15 Flamehammer
15/15 Heavy Lifting
15/15 Onslaught
15/15 Supercharge
15/15 Heal Bot

The list above makes up the primary skills of the build and should have points allocated as often as possible and are inorder of what I have experienced to be the most important from top to bottom

15/15 Fire and Spark
10-15/15 Coup De Grace
15/15 Bulwark

This is a copy and paste and all these are not filled, primarily using Aegis/Flame/Heavy/Heal bot and working up bulwark

I've reset my skills and attribute points around 25 times already. (Respec mod) Mainly putting points into STR and VIT at first, but VIT does shit. So I tried STR/DEX and some vit ... still not doing shit. I die so hard especially on projectile mobs, it's to the point where I don't even want to play anymore. These projectiles are ridiculous.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how I can survive? Even put all the points I could into force field / heal bot / aegis , then flame hammer and onsalught at one point ... and I AM STILL dying non stop unless I run around like an idiot. I don't want to sword and board , really want to make this 2h build work.

Please help gaf!

This is my build: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=3#cmZ5aSvr_f2uDe1MDDL2UKCiY4V42cu5hGy

I call him the focusgeer. The trick of this build is to get enough charge for a full forcefield shield, then spam emberquake/onslaught/seismic slam. I completed Veteran without a hitch. I'm around level 60 and I have like 100 in strenght, 80 in focus, 80 in stamina, 30 dex (or something like this). Try it out.

Embermages are so awesome. Playing NG+ elite and trapping mobs with ice prison while phasing around throwing out hailstorms, frost waves, and blazing pillars while thunder locus beats on enemies is so satisfying. Best execution of a mage class in an arpg yet.

Riggs

Banned
This is my build: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=3#cmZ5aSvr_f2uDe1MDDL2UKCiY4V42cu5hGy

I call him the focusgeer. The trick of this build is to get enough charge for a full forcefield shield, then spam emberquake/onslaught/seismic slam. I completed Veteran without a hitch. I'm around level 60 and I have like 100 in strenght, 80 in focus, 80 in stamina, 30 dex (or something like this). Try it out.

HELL yes, just figured that one out. I get 5 charges and Forcefield to hell and back, can't touch me!!! Especially loving charge domination with the chance to get a full charge bar. Nice build man.

Embermages are so awesome. Playing NG+ elite and trapping mobs with ice prison while phasing around throwing out hailstorms, frost waves, and blazing pillars while thunder locus beats on enemies is so satisfying. Best execution of a mage class in an arpg yet.

Embermage definitely my next I think.

From what I read it's all about Str and Vit, with a preference to the former. Focus seems redundant with the healing bot, not sure about dex.

Got up to level 10 putting points in those 2 stats exclusively

Sword and Board is really boring so far. My Berserker was tearing shit up at this point with frenzy

Think I'll start again with an Embermage and see how that goes

bigf00t

Beat Veteran Co-op with a buddy the other night. Engi/Mage combo makes the game so easy. 100% forcefield uptime and he never has to worry about positioning, and can spam away.

We jumped into our first Mapworks map last night and the very first enemy, within 5 sec, dropped a legendary staff that was perfect for his spec. Some people get all the luck...

Luthos

So I'm at Demigod fame level, and I heard there is one after it called Unobtainable but it doesn't grant a point. Is it just for showing off? Because holy crap does the bar build slow. (I only have 125k fame or so, out of 9 million)

SteveWD40

So I'm at Demigod fame level, and I heard there is one after it called Unobtainable but it doesn't grant a point. Is it just for showing off? Because holy crap does the bar build slow. (I only have 125k fame or so, out of 9 million)

Maybe it gives an achievement... Just think of the "cheevo" ;)

Nymerio

Wow, veteran difficulty is no joke... Barely managed to beat the boss in act 1, had to send my pet back to town to fetch some potions. I'm playing an outlander and I have put most of my stat points into dexterity. I think I may have to respec :/

SteveWD40

Wow, veteran difficulty is no joke... Barely managed to beat the boss in act 1, had to send my pet back to town to fetch some potions. I'm playing an outlander and I have put most of my stat points into dexterity. I think I may have to respec :/

My spec is above (Shotgun), what weapons you using? whats your main attack?

Focus is usually the best stat for Outlander (then Dex) as we use so many poison attacks and our physical dps sucks. It tends to either be Shotgun or Pistol and our main hits are either Venomous Hail or Glaive Throw, the latter being seen as OP even after the nerf but I prefer the former.

Repulsion Hex is a must imho, as is Stone Pact.

Nymerio

Ok, seems like I'm doing it wrong... I'm currently using a bow and a shotgun as secondary. The skill I'm using most is rapid fire and shadow shot for multiple enemies. I only recently switched to the bow because it had better dps than the two pistols I was using before. I quite like the shotgun but the range kinda sucks, which is why I prefer the bow. Rapid fire really chews through enemies when get to use it as my crit chance is relatively high. I'm not using any poison attacks though.

Edit: Is it possible to respec without being labeled a cheater?

spiritfox

If you are going Rapid Fire (and Shadow Shot IIRC) Strength is the main priority as the skills scale with weapon DPS. Dex is not a main damage stat, so it shouldn't be the main focus even on ranged classes like Outlander.

There is not stat respec yet, but you can get a skill respec potion through other means (either with another character or download one of the shared stash mods) and use it on your main without being labeled.

edit: Ok I'm wrong about no stat respec. But I haven't been keeping up with the game for a while.

Nymerio

Thanks, that worked. Respecced and I'm now running with about 120 focus, the ranged and shotgun mastery maxed for my level + poison daggers, rapid fire and that knockback hex thing.

Works like a charm, the poison damage is really high and rapid fire just keeps going and going with that much mana.

SteveWD40

Thanks, that worked. Respecced and I'm now running with about 120 focus, the ranged and shotgun mastery maxed for my level + poison daggers, rapid fire and that knockback hex thing.

Works like a charm, the poison damage is really high and rapid fire just keeps going and going with that much mana.

Glad you like it, pick up Venemous Hail when you can, I open with Cursed Daggers and then hit with VH and most packs are pretty much toast, even bosses can be kited with relative ease this way. VH also negates the short range of Shotguns as it's targeted and LOS is not a factor.

Alright. Started this game tonight. Wasn't planning on picking it up until Christmas, but didn't have shit else to play.

Is the game super easy like the first? I'm not far in at all, but so far it's super fucking easy. I never play games above normal, but I know I cranked the difficulty up in the first cause it was so easy. Same case here, or is it just warming me up?

Also, my friend swears his pet lost an equipped item (only had one thing equipped) all the items the pet was holding were gone (he didn't send it to town) and in his own inventory all his potions vanished. Any clue about any of this?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Alright. Started this game tonight. Wasn't planning on picking it up until Christmas, but didn't have shit else to play.

Is the game super easy like the first? I'm not far in at all, but so far it's super fucking easy. I never play games above normal, but I know I cranked the difficulty up in the first cause it was so easy. Same case here, or is it just warming me up?

Also, my friend swears his pet lost an equipped item (only had one thing equipped) all the items the pet was holding were gone (he didn't send it to town) and in his own inventory all his potions vanished. Any clue about any of this?
Yes

mrpeabody

It does get harder as you go, but Normal is a total waste of time.

Sanic

Looks like a huge performance patch went out. INteresting.

Just noticed, booting up now to see how things fare. The performance I was getting on my rig was awful relative to how demanding the game should be from a technical perspective.

edit: Not seeing anything improved on my end. I don't understand why I drop to under 30 fps with a quad core cpu and modern gpu, even in towns with nothing going on.

Just noticed, booting up now to see how things fare. The performance I was getting on my rig was awful relative to how demanding the game should be from a technical perspective.

edit: Not seeing anything improved on my end. I don't understand why I drop to under 30 fps with a quad core cpu and modern gpu, even in towns with nothing going on.

That's fucked up. The first game ran fucking great on even weak rigs.

_machine

Are there any news on when GUTS will be released? I haven't really even played the game yet, but there are few things I'd like to see if I can't mod them better.

Tess3ract

Banned
I had a hd4890 with a 3.5 phenom II x3 720 and ddr2 ram, I replaced all that and now have a 3570k @ 4.2 and ddr3 ram with the same graphics card.

Most times It's not even at 60fps, and when i get enemies It drops down to the 30-45 range. Or just running around doing nothing it drops frames like a bastard.

Here is my build.

15/15 Aegis
15/15 Flamehammer
15/15 Heavy Lifting
15/15 Onslaught
15/15 Supercharge
15/15 Heal Bot

15/15 Fire and Spark
10-15/15 Coup De Grace
15/15 Bulwark

Please help gaf!

This is my build.

http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=3#dfiM63xVm-xngOtEGXPiTeQ3ZUw7TlJKEIO

Completed first playthrough on Veteran. with no effort bar end of act III where I had to improve my weapons.

I'm showing you the actual level of my skills. Anyway, I dumped everything on Str and Vit with Dex sitting at 45 unbuffed.
Mainly you want to have forcefield up all the time when dealing with tough packs/ranged, even at 0 charge (It scale with player level, usually CD will be down to recast it so it's always a second life bar).
Have healbot up everytime, mostly for the mana heal, and net-bot is a life saver.

Spam Flame hammer when dealing with packs§/shield bearers/tough ranged caster and retreat a bit when things gets tough or forcefield is down before CD is over and then get back in.

JRW

I had a hd4890 with a 3.5 phenom II x3 720 and ddr2 ram, I replaced all that and now have a 3570k @ 4.2 and ddr3 ram with the same graphics card.

Most times It's not even at 60fps, and when i get enemies It drops down to the 30-45 range. Or just running around doing nothing it drops frames like a bastard.

Isn't the hd4890 older? I'm running an i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / GTX 480 1.5gb / 1920x1080 and the game runs 60fps even when things are hectic.

EDIT: After enabling FRAPS turns out it's not always 60fps, lowest Ive seen it go is 45fps when there's a lot going on (currently on Act 3).

Tess3ract

Banned
Isn't the hd4890 older? I'm running an i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / GTX 480 1.5gb / 1920x1080 and the game runs 60fps even when things are hectic.

EDIT: After enabling FRAPS turns out it's not always 60fps, lowest Ive seen it go is 45fps when there's a lot going on (currently on Act 3).
Yes that's what I'm saying. There's no way that this game should be as taxing as it is. Skyrim isn't even this bad.

The Hermit

I've decided to try this only now after being burned by that terrible clone (Diablo III) and damn, just the music of this game is better than the entirety of that other thing.

amatecha

TL2, definitely one of my favorite titles in 2012. Ultra-impressive work from Runic (not surprisingly)! I keep describing it as "what Diablo 3 should have been", as that pretty well summarizes my feelings on it. I know everyone keeps making the comparison (and I'm sure the Runic guys are insanely sick of people doing so), but after the ultra-letdown of D3 (IMO) I'm very glad TL2 came along to quickly take its place.

Bottom line, if you haven't played TL2 yet do yourself a favor and *at least *grab a copy of the demo (available on their website at http://www.torchlight2game.com/ ).

I've been playing a lot of co-op and for me that's really where it shines... very fun and super-addicting. Running through dungeons with a buddy or two is definitely an excellent co-op experience. The soundtrack from Matt Uelmen is, of course, top notch (this statement should of course be no surprise coming from a guy who has Diablo 1 & 2 soundtracks on his iPhone). ;) The art direction and assets live up to the same standard IMO.. That said, there are times where I'd almost prefer more detail, or "higher fidelity", perhaps. I somewhat frequently feel that the game is not as immersive as I'd like, and that's really only due to the artwork. Not a big deal though, because I actually really like the artwork anyways.

Yeah, either way, I haven't yet finished the game and I'm sure I'll be putting many more hours into it!

Top Bottom