• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Nokterian

Message from Brian Fargo! :)

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l818k0

You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!! Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today's support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly!!! We are joyfully scrambling right now to get a longer update and some stretch goals in front of you as soon as we can. We should have more to say later today.

You are all unbelievably awesome and we could not be happier about receiving your trust in us. For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing. Thank you for backing our vision once again and we will not let you down. We will continue to communicate and and make sure we solicit input such that the game is hitting all the right notes.

Our goal is to make great RPGs for you all for the rest of our careers.

Thank you,

Edit : To late :(

GlassBox

Banned
Man, Brian sounds so awesome. Love this:
For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing.

CrunchyB

I just found out, what the hell? Late to the party already!

I'm happy it is backed already, slightly annoyed I missed all the fun though :D

Perkel

Banned
I just found out, what the hell? Late to the party already!

I'm happy it is backed already, slightly annoyed I missed all the fun though :D

Yeah funded out of fucking nowhere. In about 1 hour there will be slower time because Europe will go to sleep.

US it is now your time to show what you can do !

Simply amazing! Now I'll wait for Planescape to go ons sale to play that until Tides gets finished.

Despite owning the original P:T discs, I just bought the digital download from GOG for $9.99. Just played the first 30 minutes or so (after installing all the mods), and it totally holds up.

inm8num2

Damn that $95 tier would have been the sweet spot for me. Hard to justify going to $110 for the same thing, though.

The Kid

$20 tier and more to come!

Also Ryan Davis is criticizing inXile and giving them money on his Twitter. Although I feel he is unfairly critiquing the brand name rather than the talent

Derrick01

Banned
Thought about backing like I did with the other big RPG kickstarters but without Avellone I don't think I can. He needs to be directly involved too, not just a side goal for 1 quest or whatever he's doing in wasteland 2.

BraXzy

Wow it's insane how quick this has lifted off! :|

Never played the original (I plan to soon) but I have heard many great things about it so consider this my first Kickstarter backing ever! :D

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
as much hate Kickstarter receives, I still find it valuable and it is bringing forth a few of the most anticipated games for me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, I just heard of this and it's already funded and nearing $1 million. This sounds even more exciting to me than Wasteland 2, which I funded at $100.

Definitely going to put some cash behind this project.

Backed for $20.

I am 10x more likely to pay full price for a Kickstarter project a year plus away (at the smallest backer level that gets a digital copy) than I am for a modern AAA release.

Dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

Derrick01

Banned
And Dead State !

I'm more interested in that then all of the other ones, and it seems to get the absolute least amount of attention. Even from fans of the crpg genre. It only made like 300k I think and almost 100k of that came in the final last hour push.

It's amazing that, after keeping track of Fargo's game industry movement in the post-Interplay days and with the start of his new studio, I started out so hopeful for WL2 and a return to more classic RPGs, and then grew pretty disappointed with inXile (I believe this is the intended capitalization) for the ten or so years they were around before they level'd up with Kickstarter. I wanted Wasteland 2 ever since that original game was released. It's my favorite game. Their first Kickstarter project is this dream game sequel and it ends up being a massive success at funding and is now midway through development, looking mostly great. WL2!! Then, they start a new one for a spiritual sequel for Torment, a great-great RPG. They succeed at funding on the first day. If they don't drop the ball and fans mostly like or love what they get at release, they have a nice opportunity to stay independent forever and rely upon the KS and RPG audience act as gatekeeper to more specific choices in the marketplace they have. Crowdfunding and crowdsourcing isn't dying out anytime soon.

GlassBox

Banned
I was thinking of my pledge, but decided to leave it. The $80 is the highest tier that also gets the Wasteland 2 copy as well since I missed the boat on that one.

I'll admit, I was more motivated to contribute to this project than Eternity, not only because of the Torment name, but because from what I've seen so far in concept, it looks so much more interesting than Eternity, which unfortunately seemed to veer in the more generic fantasy setting (human, elf, dwarf) than I'd have hoped.

Azih

I'm more interested in that then all of the other ones, and it seems to get the absolute least amount of attention. Even from fans of the crpg genre. It only made like 300k I think and almost 100k of that came in the final last hour push.

Well Mistoda doesn't have the name that Avellone or Fargo do. And I think Vampire: Bloodlines was far more of a cult hit than Wasteland or Torment.

Top Bottom