• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

dhlt25

wait and see on this one since it's already funded. Already backed waste land 2 and I'll have to see the quality of their game first.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm gonna be so sad to see the collective disappointment of GAF when Wasteland 2 is released and it's a total stinker. Afterwards, it'll be hilarious to see the backlash on this game from all its backers.

Anyway, here is hoping for the best, but don't count on it.
Yeah you sure are a wonderful human being.

Perkel

Banned
Not that I'm unhappy about this - Torment is in my top 3 RPG's of all time BUT!

1) We know Wasteland 2 will make a chunk of change for inXile - they had their production costs taken care of already. Any copy they sell will be pure $$$

2) Wasteland 2 is slighted to finish in October.

Why not at least wait for the first month sales figures to come in before asking for money for another kickstarter? Is inXile funding anything with their own money? (serious question)

Serious answer: READ OP

Kayhan

I'm gonna be so sad to see the collective disappointment of GAF when Wasteland 2 is released and it's a total stinker. Afterwards, it'll be hilarious to see the backlash on this game from all its backers.

The recent footage looked great.

There will be no backlash. Just celebration.

Nokterian

1 million dollars!

dr_evil_one_million_d7wyed.jpg

Dr.Acula

Banned
Not that I'm unhappy about this - Torment is in my top 3 RPG's of all time BUT!

1) We know Wasteland 2 will make a chunk of change for inXile - they had their production costs taken care of already. Any copy they sell will be pure $$$

2) Wasteland 2 is slighted to finish in October.

Why not at least wait for the first month sales figures to come in before asking for money for another kickstarter? Is inXile funding anything with their own money? (serious question)

They adressed this in a letter. Basically, if they wait until after WL2 is shipped, then they lose continuity. They have two teams. A "pre-production" team, and a "production" team. The pre-production people are done with WL2, and they're starting on Torment. By the time production is ready to go on Torment, WL2 will be done, so they can roll over their production team to the new project without having everyone wait around to secure funding for the new project.

If they waited until after WL2 shipped, they'd have this 8-month pre-production gap.

I just backed myself. Wasn't going to, but I was reading about Numenera and it sounds cool.

Numenera is set a billion years in the future. Civilizations have risen and fallen on Earth. Even though the current inhabitants live at about a Medieval level of technology, the leftover remnants of these advanced societies lie all around them. Some of these are extremely helpful: advanced tools, valuable means of communication and learning, transportation, defenses, and weapons. Others are dangerous: genetically altered monstrosities, flesh-warping radiation, creatures transplanted from distant stars, and clouds of out-of-control nanobots, just to name a few. This setting, called the Ninth World, provides all manner of opportunities and challenges to those that call it home.

That's a great premise.

CrunchyB

I think it's safe to say that the oldschool RPG fans have a lot of disposable income :)

The kickstarter of Monte Cook's Numenera setting eventually reached 517K, over 25 times the 20k goal. That's "just" the pen & paper RPG rulebook. But of course it's by Monte Cook, who is considered hardcore even in D&D circles.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ho-lee mo-lee! One million in just under seven hours.

Indeed, holy fucking shit.

Well, imagine if a Torment fan didn't have the internet today. By tomorrow, not only will they see that the Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera has been started, successfully funded, but also that half of the limited quantity pledge tiers are gone.

There will be quite a few people I forsee doing exactly this in the near future, and screaming "nooooo" at the internets for not knowing sooner.

Perkel

Banned

And this is why kickstarter is such a good idea.

Even if Project Eternity will fall horribly on market because non RPG fans won't like it they still can go to kickstarter and make another game for their fans.

Kickstarter currently if godsend for RPG loving people. Even if kickstarter games will bomb because those games are to hard/to good for mass market we as community can fund next games.

In best case snenario Obsidian will be rich as fuck and won't need to use kickstarter.
In worst case scenario they will go back to kickstarter.

Either way we still get out beloved RPGs.

Durante

Indeed, holy fucking shit.

Well, imagine if a Torment fan didn't have the internet today. By tomorrow, not only will they see that the Kickstarter for Torment: Tides of Numenera has been started, successfully funded, but also that half of the limited quantity pledge tiers are gone.

There will be quite a few people I forsee doing exactly this in the near future, and screaming "nooooo" at the internets for not knowing sooner.
Because of this situation I don't really understand why some tiers (especially in the $100-$500 range) have such hard limits on them. Maybe it's just social engineering and they'll increase them in the future.

volturnus

Banned
No Avellone still sucks, but I'll have to retract and support this project. It's too good a premise for me to ignore, and something I've been wanting for years.

FourMyle

A stinker as a result from KS is immeasurably easier to accept than some "AAA" reboot stinker by a billion dollar company looking to make some money.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

As long as this doesn't happen to Project Eternity I'll be okay :lol
I'm sure that the people who backed Wasteland 2 will enjoy what they see from current evidence, even if the game is a critical (slightly unlikely) and commercial (probably more likely) bomb.

I'm with Evilore on Project Eternity more though, that does have more of a chance of completely cocking up in my view, and I backed that one, so I hope that does work out well.

Hana-Bi

Because of this situation I don't really understand why some tiers (especially in the $100-$500 range) have such hard limits on them. Maybe it's just social engineering and they'll increase them in the future.

I hope so too since I can only pay via PayPal and with things selling right now I won't have a chance for a boxed copy...

Perkel

Banned
I think that's the fastest Kickstarter to hit the million mark.

Yep:

$1mln in less than 7 hours - Torment
$1mln in 26 hours - Project Eternity

If they will have as good updates as Project Eternity and if their kickstarter will go same way as any other big profile kickstarter.... we are looking at 6 to 8 mln of dollars.

I just realized how amazing it is that there are so many classic rpgs coming up. it's like a new golden era of videogames thanks to kickstarter. aside from the witcher or dragon age maybe, there hasn't really been a solid rpg around for a while. and now we have so much to hope for :3

Yep.
I'm going ahead and kickstarting most of these, so I can just sit back and enjoy some good ol' old school RPGs once next-gen overwhelms us with linear ACTION ADVENTURE AAA RPGs.

This sounds like a sci-fi version of Planescape: Torment, so I'm totally in.

nbthedude

As long as this doesn't happen to Project Eternity I'll be okay :lol

The difference as far as I'm concerned is that Obsidian have proven themselves. They can make good games. They do make good games. Not always (Dungeon Siege III), but they have a solid track record. They may be a little rough around the edges, but they are generally a good, solid developer as their recent output shows:

Fallout New Vegas
Alpha Protocol
Never Winter Nights 2
KOTOR2.

InXile's recent production by comparison has been pretty shitty:

Hunter the Demon Forge
Choplifter HD
Line Rider
Baby Pals
Hei$T

There really is no way ways around it. The difference between these two companies is pretty night and day.

zkylon

zkylewd
And this is why kickstarter is such a good idea.

Even if Project Eternity will fall horribly on market because non RPG fans won't like it they still can go to kickstarter and make another game for their fans.

Kickstarter currently if godsend for RPG loving people. Even if kickstarter games will bomb because those games are to hard/to good for mass market we as community can fund next games.

In best case snenario Obsidian will be rich as fuck and won't need to use kickstarter.
In worst case scenario they will go back to kickstarter.

Either way we still get out beloved RPGs.
This is kind of unknown, I mean, these are renowned developers with the tools to make awesome stuff but shit can always go wrong i.e. DFA, and they could still screw up on their own and make a bad game (look at Obs' terrible co-op design decisions in DSIII).

I mean, nothing's for certain, all we can do is have faith in them and hope we were right to trust them with our support.

megalowho

I'm actually pleased as punch this one went so fast. The game will get made, I can ignore the Kickstarter element and evaluate the product once it's available and not feel pressured to donate to inXile a second time before seeing how they do with Wasteland 2.

FourMyle

Yep:

$1mln in less than 7 hours - Torment
$1mln in 26 hours - Project Eternity

If they will have as good updates as Project Eternity and if their kickstarter will go same way as any other big profile kickstarter.... we are looking at 6 to 8 mln of dollars.

Yeah, I think for Torment to not hit a crazy plateau it needs to have some kick ass stretch goals. They need to have stuff to get people even more excited/to raise their pledges.

Perkel

Banned
No Avellone still sucks, but I'll have to retract and support this project. It's too good a premise for me to ignore, and something I've been wanting for years.

I fully believe Avellone will be stretch goal.

If Avellone is stretch goal this kickstarter will get more money than Star Citizent did in 40 days with after campain support.

Durante

The difference as far as I'm concerned is that Obsidian have proven themselves. They can make good games. They do make good games. They may be a little rough around the edges, but they are good.

InXile thus far has made shitty games. There really is no way ways around it.
This is true, and why I went with a low pledge on the Wasteland 2 kickstarter.

However, unlike many others it seems, my confidence into them since that kickstarter launched has increased, not decreased. All the updates, their new team members, the gameplay video of Wasteland 2 and their pitch for Torment give me a solid feeling that they can accomplish what they are setting out to do -- at least to some degree. And really, that's all that is needed.

Rootbeer

Banned
OMG i can't believe I missed this thread earlier today... well I just backed at the $20 level... might up my pledge, but I wanted to get in on the earlybird price

THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

Tarsul

Did Brian Fargo at any time say why his kickstarter projects would become better games than his efforts in the recent years before?

If Avellone is stretch goal this kickstarter will get more money than Star Citizent did in 40 days with after campain support.

but there must be a reason avellone wasn't in it right from the start.
or do you believe they tricked us and to make him a stretch goal is an elaborate scheme that has been planned out right away?

duckroll

inXile might not have the game design prestige of Obsidian, and the demo of Wasteland 2 does look pretty rough especially in the loose mechanics which are currently implemented, but goddamn somehow they always get amazing artists on board. I wish Project Eternity looked as good as the concept art from WL2 and Torment so far. :(

Eusis

That's a great premise.
This sounds VERY close to dying Earth type stuff here, just that I guess the Sun's still healthy. That alone has me interested really, it's a kind of setting not regularly explored in games, not this well anyway. Closest recent example that comes to mind comes in the form of a late game twist in
Etrian Odyssey 1, and thus seemingly the rest of the series.

Incidentally, little wonder someone with a Book of the New Sun avatar is in this thread!

nbthedude

This is true, and why I went with a low pledge on the Wasteland 2 kickstarter.

However, unlike many others it seems, my confidence into them since that kickstarter launched has increased, not decreased. All the updates, their new team members, the gameplay video of Wasteland 2 and their pitch for Torment give me a solid feeling that they can accomplish what they are setting out to do -- at least to some degree. And really, that's all that is needed.

Perhaps. But it is easy to misrepresent progress. Aliens Colonel Marines looked pretty alright in all those press videos too...

I guess I would would feel a lot more comfortable if I had already played Wasteland 2 or even if they had released a public demo/beta or something.

CrunchyB

Yeah, I think for Torment to not hit a crazy plateau it needs to have some kick ass stretch goals.

How about, the second half of the game will be just as good as the first?

Because quality dropped a lot in P:T after you left Sigil. I know it was a time/budget thing, but it still sucks.

Stretch goals like "new environment, +5 hours of gameplay : 400k" would be awesome.

The difference as far as I'm concerned is that Obsidian have proven themselves. They can make good games. They do make good games. They may be a little rough around the edges, but they are good.

InXile thus far has made shitty games. There really is no way ways around it.

Well, if it helps, I think it's important to point out that we all value development studios for their past output, but know it came from a specific grouping of lead creatives who can plan and execute a game worth playing. It's fair to note that the lead creatives behind WL2 and T:ToN aren't the same as the ones behind their past output. I mean, people idolize or vilify a single person in the development community, but it's still a team sport and a new or different roster is a new or different team.

Kayhan

inXile might not have the game design prestige of Obsidian, and the demo of Wasteland 2 does look pretty rough especially in the loose mechanics which are currently implemented, but goddamn somehow they always get amazing artists on board. I wish Project Eternity looked as good as the concept art from WL2 and Torment so far. :(

projecteternitywaterfall.jpg

Miletius

The gameplay video of WL2 looked pretty solid to me. I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing though.

Edit: Either way I'm content to keep on backing projects that align with what I want to see in video games than suffer through another generation of AAA shoot em bang up's. Even if that backing ends up with a dud every once in a while.

Perkel

Banned
Did Brian Fargo at any time say why his kickstarter projects would become better games than his efforts in the recent years before?

Completely different game type ? Fargo was head of Interplay and has skill and knowledge to create fantastic RPG but he never created arcade games.

Answer yourself.

volturnus

Banned

If that happens, I'll up my pledge to the $125. I'm not sure it'll happen, though.
He didn't sound very enthusiastic about it in his support video, like he was disappointed he's not in his dream project, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Who knows, maybe he was simply tired. I don't get the guy, really. His writing is great and he seems very clever, yet he absolutely sucks at playing Arcanum lol.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm sure that the people who backed Wasteland 2 will enjoy what they see from current evidence, even if the game is a critical (slightly unlikely) and commercial (probably more likely) bomb.

I'm with Evilore on Project Eternity more though, that does have more of a chance of completely cocking up in my view, and I backed that one, so I hope that does work out well.

What constitutes a commercial bomb? Wasteland 2 has raised ~3 million (~4 with Paypal) from ~60k people (maybe ~80k with Paypal?). Is selling 80k copies of a game that costs 4 million to make successful?

Then you gotta figure sales only go up once the game is actually released. How many copies do they sell on digital download? 100k? 250k?

I think for a small team (~25 people) that results in a relative commercial hit.

Dropped $1 grand on this. Words cannot describe how much I loved the original Planescape: Torment. Jumping for joy at this game.

:')

Perkel

Banned
but there must be a reason avellone wasn't in it right from the start.
or do you believe they tricked us and to make him a stretch goal is an elaborate scheme that has been planned out right away?

Showing all your cards in poker game is bad.

Dropped $1 grand on this. Words cannot describe how much I loved the original Planescape: Torment. Jumping for joy at this game.

:')

Pics or didn't happen.

FourMyle

The gameplay video of WL2 looked pretty solid to me. I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing though.

Edit: Either way I'm content to keep on backing projects that align with what I want to see in video games than suffer through another generation of AAA shoot em bang up's. Even if that backing ends up with a dud every once in a while.

No kidding. I was really not expecting the game to look as great as it did in that video. I was pleasantly surprised. That video just hit all the right notes. I went and bought the game on their website after watching it.

Top Bottom