• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Azih

I get the impression with Avellone that he wants to make sure Obsidian is taken care of if he's off helping out with inXile projects. So WHEN Torment smashes through it's funding limit inXile will use some of the stretch funds to 'rent' Avellone away from Obsidian for some writing and design duties.

Edit: In for 20. And I think I'm kickstarted out. seriously. FTL was amazing but I think 5 pending projects is a good limit to stop at for now.

Almighty

Damn. I knew this would get funded fast, but this is something else. Anyway as i said before I will still pass. I understand their reasons now thanks to that email they sent out, but without knowing how well Wasteland 2 is going to be I don't want to put down money on another game.

Velinos

I get the impression with Avellone that he wants to make sure Obsidian is taken care of if he's off helping out with inXile projects. So WHEN Torment smashes through it's funding limit inXile will use some of the funds to 'rent' Avellone away from Obsidian for some writing and design duties.

Maybe for a stretch goal they could get him to do an expansion. I would imagine that Project Eternity design would be wrapped up by then and he could have time to work on other things.

Azih

Maybe for a stretch goal they could get him to do an expansion. I would imagine that Project Eternity design would be wrapped up by then and he could have time to work on other things.

It seems like game companies need to be working on multiple things all the time to keep going. That's why we hear about Obsidian constantly pitching projects to everyone even though they're deep into Eternity. Avellone's gotta keep Obisidan's interests top most.

Dr.Acula

Banned
A story-driven CRPG crafted in the tradition of Planescape™: Torment & set in the world of Monte Cook's Numenera.

What's that?

Google: Monte Cook Numenera

Kickstarter.com

Numenera is a brand-new, science fantasy rpg set in the distant future. It focuses on story and ideas over mechanics.

So Torment: ToD is a kickstarter game based on someone's kickstarter game? Yo dawg.

Nokterian

Backed 153 dollars. Since the 18 dollars is transport costs out of the US and put a extra 25 dollars there for Wasteland 2. Feels good man!

shutupandtakemymoney5wj0j.gif

duckroll

Why did they pick such a conservative amount, anyway? They must have had some inkling that this would be popular.

When crowdsourcing, you always aim low no matter what. The funding goal should be the minimal sum you need to make the product you promise, and then you expand from there when it gets funded.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Why did they pick such a conservative amount, anyway? They must have had some inkling that this would be popular.

While I am sure they knew the game would do well, I don't think they expected anything like this. One of the line producers at inXile (forgot his name) posts over at the Something Awful forums and based off his posts they are really surprised this is getting off to a better start than Wasteland 2, much less Project: Eternity.

Kayhan

Now I bought the core rulebook for the Numenera pen and paper game......to be delivered August 2013.

Damn game is costing me a fortune.

Perkel

Banned

Minimal funding that can materialize game. RPG games scale very well with budget so they won't have problem like Tim kickstarter when they funded game without stretch goals.

Also we should remind people that it was Wasteland 2 that started stretch goals idea and kick it forward. No wonder their pitch is so good.

Minimal funding that can materialize game. RPG games scale very well with budget so they won't have problem like Tim kickstarter when they funded game without stretch goals.

Also we should remind people that it was Wasteland 2 that started stretch goals idea and kick it forward. No wonder their pitch is so good.

Indeed, this is far and away one of the best pitch videos around, only one that compares is Project Eternity.

Backed for 95, looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
While I am sure they knew the game would do well, I don't think they expected anything like this. One of the line producers at inXile (forgot his name) posts over at the Something Awful forums and based off his posts they are really surprised this is getting off to a better start than Wasteland 2, much less Project: Eternity.

I'm surprised too. I thought it would do 200 000$ on the first day, 400 000$ tops.

It seems like PS:T resonated with a lot of people back in the day (and in the next 5 years after the release).

GlassBox

Banned
Better to aim low and sell high than vice versa (I can recall a few kickstarters that aimed too high and didn't make it).

But I too am actually surprised it is doing well. I figured after Wasteland and Eternity (not to mention current backlash against kickstarter in general), people would be out of funds or too tired to donate.

Instro

Yes you are right, the pitch is what makes it, but having a good pitch doesn't mean the kickstarter trend is still firing on all cylinders. Recent failures, like Wildman and Project Awakened, both with solid pitches and talent behind them, failed. Not to mention every game you commented was successful while the Kickstarter train was still moving pretty strongly(and every game you mentioned all filled a niche, the CRPG, the Space Sim, and PA was successful because it was trying to innovate on Total Annihilation, again, another title that people wanted to see a proper successor to). These are the things that drive kickstarter success and sadly titles like Wildman and Project Awakened tried to be to ambitious. It is obvious that the high profile more expensive Kickstarters are slowing down. Again, this project is coasting on the success of Numenera, Wasteland 2 and a void that the PS:T community have been aching for. A community that most high profile video game kickstarters wish they had. It might reignite success in more high profile titles, but it doesn't ultimately prove that the Kickstarter trend is still a viable market for high profile video games (I don't consider smaller projects like Delvers drop to be High profile, FYI, i DO believe that Kickstarter is still very huge for these sub 100k projects)

I am certainly not disagreeing with you in anything you said, but it is hard to argue that Kickstarter is still a valid tool for these high profile titles. I would be willing to bet If projects like Wildman or Project Awakened tried there hand at kickstarter last year, they would have both found success. Unless you are looking for like sub 100k or fill some niche, you likely aren't going to find much success anymore.
The Dreamfall kickstarter is over 1 million btw.

Anyway, I jumped at the $95 tier earlier this morning before it was filled. Luckily I waste time of GAF at work to catch these important things. I'm not exactly comfortable dropping that much on a kickstarter but I guess I can always pull it back a bit before the thing ends. Previously my highest was $65, so its not too big of a jump for those rewards.

subversus

5 years? Try 14.

well, it went into "the classic" territory afterwards, i.e. games which everybody try but not a lot of people finish. Shame, that GOG doesn't have any kind of achievements. Would be interesting to take a look at completion percentage.

Dr.Acula

Banned
this actually confused the shit out of me. I thought they made a kickstarter for the torment game already, but it turned out Numenera is a self-contained game of its own :S it's just the names, they're too similar

Props to the corporate synergy though.

Man, already over 846k.

Midou

To ponder on this:

if Tim Schafer hasn't done his kickstarter there would be much less people doing what they love today.

One man can make a difference (yes, I know that a lot of people worked on their pitch and it wasn't solely his idea but his execution made this whole thing fly).

Yeah I think about this often, I mean, a lot of the big projects have not come out yet, but before Double Fine, I had never heard of Kickstarter, I'm sure there have been successful games on it before double fine, but it really... kickstarted, kickstarter, for gaming ones.

Hopefully at least the big name projects turn out great, would be great to see all of this meet expectations. Making it possible to enjoy classic games again without some publisher telling you that it isn't mainstream worthy..

I'm honestly kind of shocked this is getting funded so quickly. What has inXile done in the past ten years that would make anyone think the parties involved are still capable of CRPG gold? Like Wasteland 2 I think I'll just wait until the game is released before I drop any money on it.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm honestly kind of shocked this is getting funded so quickly. What has inXile done in the past ten years that would make anyone think the parties involved are still capable of CRPG gold? Like Wasteland 2 I think I'll just wait until the game is released before I drop any money on it.

Same. A lot of people love PST, and they've got a lot of good will from the Wasteland 2 kickstarter.

I just wished we could get some hands on their first game, before they start another KS.

subversus

the thing is that the project is led by people who hasn't worked at Inxile before Kickstarter era. It's like Rare in reverse - as it was founded the day MS bought it and then people who made KI, Golden Eye, etc. came on board, bought the company from MS and started making games of Killer Instinct caliber. I know it doesn't make much sense but you get the point (I hope).

Azih

I don't think it's the company that people are responding to; it's the people. But yeah I see your point. Fargo hasn't done much for a long while while Avellone is just a celebrity supporter at this point in time.

well everything they say sounds really great and thought-through + plus all gameplay insights of WL2 look really great so far imo. fargo knows what it takes to make a good game. he seems really authentic and aware of the current state of the gaming industry + doesn't fear to critize it. just the fact that they haven't found a mainstream publisher for their games is a sign of quality in my eyes. they have a clear vision and don't want the product to be compromised in any way. I have complete faith

Perkel

Banned

Fargo created personally Wasteland 1. And he started Interplay which was god tier publisher at time releasing god tier RPGs one after another. He personally green lighted games like Fallout and Planescape Torment.

InXile didn't have amazing output but Fargo is really dude who can do shit if he want. DFA kickstarter was just right event for him (since he already pitched Wasteland 2 for years to publishers)

Eusis

Yep totally Kickstarter Fatigue there lol.
Kickstarter fatigue can take a break for some Torment.

Alternatively Kickstarter fatigue actually only lasts for about a month or so after a huge Kickstarter. Once that's passed BRING ON MORE

Top Bottom