• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
When crowdsourcing, you always aim low no matter what. The funding goal should be the minimal sum you need to make the product you promise, and then you expand from there when it gets funded.

While I am sure they knew the game would do well, I don't think they expected anything like this. One of the line producers at inXile (forgot his name) posts over at the Something Awful forums and based off his posts they are really surprised this is getting off to a better start than Wasteland 2, much less Project: Eternity.

Minimal funding that can materialize game. RPG games scale very well with budget so they won't have problem like Tim kickstarter when they funded game without stretch goals.

Also we should remind people that it was Wasteland 2 that started stretch goals idea and kick it forward. No wonder their pitch is so good.

Better to aim low and sell high than vice versa (I can recall a few kickstarters that aimed too high and didn't make it).

But I too am actually surprised it is doing well. I figured after Wasteland and Eternity (not to mention current backlash against kickstarter in general), people would be out of funds or too tired to donate.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Also, funded in six hours? It's interesting, Ragner Tonquist said that prior to launching the Dreamfall Chapters KS, he dreamed that they would hit their goal in six hours. That didn't happen for them -- it took a bit longer -- so perhaps he somehow had one of Brian Fargo's dreams by accident?

Eusis

I really wish a stretch goal was having Fargo send a letter to like EA saying FUCK YOU IN THE FACE.

?
Why do that? They've actually been really helpful for Wasteland's Kickstarter, selling (... giving?) the Wasteland IP back to him, and even allowing the first game to be bundled with the second, maybe straight up giving that to him too. At most I'd want it sent to Bioware specifically going "See, you could have stayed this path!"

Madouu

Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited about this but I really really really hope inXile can deliver regarding the quality of the final product.

Also, getting close to a million without any stretch goals announced yet... amazing.

lmpaler

Wow it's insane how quick this has lifted off! :|

Never played the original (I plan to soon) but I have heard many great things about it so consider this my first Kickstarter backing ever! :D

I'm LTTP with Torment as well, but my god I love it and thus I backed this and just donated to Wasteland as well.

A lot of people in the comments are clamoring for Arcanum, will it be next!?

nbthedude

I really love Kickstarter. I think it's great for indie developers and I'm interested in both of Inxile's current projects.

But....

Dudes have given them nearly FOUR MILLION dollars now and they have yet to show anything tangible for it yet. Moreover this company has had some some really really shitty games in the last five years. The cynical side of me thinks that they needed to do this kickstarter before the bad news on Wasteland 2's development/quality of final product is recognized. I can't help but be scared that this is a cash grab. I chipped in for Wasteland, but now I'm going to wait and see. They don't get any more of my money until they deliver what they promised the first time and I can look at the quality of it. I think it is pretty shitty of them to ask their audience to double down before they deliver the first time.

Do I want to be able to give them the benefit of doubt? Yes. But:

1) You have a shitty track record of recent games

2) You already got my money+trust for one project despite this

3) You are asking for money again before you finish and deliver on the first product.

I just realized how amazing it is that there are so many classic rpgs coming up. it's like a new golden era of videogames thanks to kickstarter. aside from the witcher or dragon age maybe, there hasn't really been a solid rpg around for a while. and now we have so much to hope for :3

Sentenza

I'm more interested in that then all of the other ones, and it seems to get the absolute least amount of attention. Even from fans of the crpg genre. It only made like 300k I think and almost 100k of that came in the final last hour push.
Well, part of it is because Brian Mitsoda is a PR disaster in the making when it comes to promote his work.
And just to be clear I'm a big fan.

Dr. Light

I jumped on the $250 tier. Wow, this thing is selling like crazy. It went up $200k since I first pledged not even 90 minutes ago.

Kurtofan

How can they make a whole game for $900k if a single character costs at least $150k?

The character itself won't cost 150k, it's just a way to get people to give more money to improve the game as a whole, with the added bonus of a character.

injurai

Banned
How can they make a whole game for $900k if a single character costs at least $150k?

That was for a 2D fighting game, where they spend crazy amounts on animation, including complex transitions for pretty much any move cancellation and transition from that.

JDSN

Banned

It is obvious for them before this was released that it was gonna reach that goal and go past it, they have been heavily marketing this KS for months.

Durante

...serious question?
Absolutely.

Giant Bomb.
Thanks.

I'm more interested in that then all of the other ones, and it seems to get the absolute least amount of attention. Even from fans of the crpg genre. It only made like 300k I think and almost 100k of that came in the final last hour push.
I think it was really unlucky for them that the Zombie genre exploded in popularity in games after they chose it. That made it seem like a bandwagon jumping game when nothing could be further from the truth.

It's still sad to see that it didn't make more money, the game was further along and they presented far more concrete plans than most.

Might as well. It seems interesting enough.

Do you suppose donating to a Gamestarter would break my New Year's Resolution of not buying any games this year?

My anger at Stoic's bait-and-switch Banner Saga kickstarter has dissipated. Here's my $20, Mr. Fargo.

Oh, Talk Bunny, you're like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

:p

Derrick01

Banned
I think it was really unlucky for them that the Zombie genre exploded in popularity in games after they chose it. That made it seem like a bandwagon jumping game when nothing could be further from the truth.

It's still sad to see that it didn't make more money, the game was further along and they presented far more concrete plans than most.

Well they still made enough for the goal and almost all of the stretch goals so hopefully they'll still be able to get the game out without any problems. I'm kind of worried that there hasn't been much word on it since it ended which was almost a year ago now.

Mashing

$20 pledged. Gonna break a million in the next couple minutes.

I'll probably up my pledge closer to the deadline.

I see Kickstarter fatigue has caused this game to barely cross the finish line with not even a month to spare.
I personally love the idea that those so-called 'game journalists' of little faith will be mercilessly TORMENTed from here on with their own idiotic 'soundbite'.

SerRodrik

Well Mistoda doesn't have the name that Avellone or Fargo do. And I think Vampire: Bloodlines was far more of a cult hit than Wasteland or Torment.

Also part of it might be that Dead State, from what little I saw of it, seemed like a very different game than Bloodlines, whereas most of the more successful kickstarters have been direct spiritual successors succeeding in part due to nostalgia.

I didn't back Dead State, but I'm certainly going to check it out once it releases.

Perkel

Banned
Well Mistoda doesn't have the name that Avellone or Fargo do. And I think Vampire: Bloodlines was far more of a cult hit than Wasteland or Torment.

I think "hurr durr zombies" did more harm than good. I still love that project.

Zaventem

Man if they're using the Torment name they should have set the goals higher.I bet it would reach the same amount if it was 2 million around the same time span.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well they still made enough for the goal and almost all of the stretch goals so hopefully they'll still be able to get the game out without any problems. I'm kind of worried that there hasn't been much word on it since it ended which was almost a year ago now.

Their updates have been really lacking, just some vague comments each month about what's involved in production, staff changes, etc. We haven't really been seeing anything shape up ourselves. In the January update they claimed they had new footage ready to show "in the next few weeks," but silence since then.

SerRodrik

Who is Steve Dengler?

And Razer like computer peripherals Razer?

Owner of a successful money exchange website or something similar, if I recall. He was the financial backer of a lot of Double Fine's recent projects, and he tends to pick up a $10,000 tier whenever one of these kickstarters goes live.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I'm gonna be so sad to see the collective disappointment of GAF when Wasteland 2 is released and it's a total stinker. Afterwards, it'll be hilarious to see the backlash on this game from all its backers.

Anyway, here is hoping for the best, but don't count on it.

Not that I'm unhappy about this - Torment is in my top 3 RPG's of all time BUT!

1) We know Wasteland 2 will make a chunk of change for inXile - they had their production costs taken care of already. Any copy they sell will be pure $$$

2) Wasteland 2 is slighted to finish in October.

Why not at least wait for the first month sales figures to come in before asking for money for another kickstarter? Is inXile funding anything with their own money? (serious question)

LiK

I'm gonna be so sad to see the collective disappointment of GAF when Wasteland 2 is released and it's a total stinker. Afterwards, it'll be hilarious to see the backlash on this game from all its backers.

Can't be any worst than the trash stories we get from "AAA" RPGs these days.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

As long as this doesn't happen to Project Eternity I'll be okay :lol

DaBuddaDa

Their updates have been really lacking, just some vague comments each month about what's involved in production, staff changes, etc. We haven't really been seeing anything shape up ourselves. In the January update they claimed they had new footage ready to show "in the next few weeks," but silence since then.

This is exactly why I chose not to back that project: I did not for a second trust the pitch. I think the entire thing is vaporware. The pitch boiled down to: "We fucked up and didn't plan well, so we need you to bail us out please!" Why would I trust my money to people like that?

Top Bottom