• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Midou

I'm honestly kind of shocked this is getting funded so quickly. What has inXile done in the past ten years that would make anyone think the parties involved are still capable of CRPG gold? Like Wasteland 2 I think I'll just wait until the game is released before I drop any money on it.

Well it isn't like a lot of people are paying a ton of money, most people are probably backing in the $30-50 tier, not the worst investment someone has made. Sure the $95 tier sold out because it sounded so good, but even that isn't the worst thing. Wasteland 2 is looking pretty great, and I am willing to invest in a potential to return to classic CRPG days.

I don't think it's the company that people are responding to; it's the people. But yeah I see your point. Fargo hasn't done much for a long while while Avellone is just a celebrity supporter at this point in time.

A lot of the people involved haven't done much of note either in the 14 years since PS:T released. At least looking at their Wiki's

Eusis

Talk about pleasant surprise.
I'm sure he's too old for it, but it'd be funny if it was for a wisdom tooth removal (or anything else that needs you to be put under) so he'd be all hooped up when he got back AND heard this. Would be like a surreal dream.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was kinda iffy on the subject of them making another Kickstarter before W2 is released but really it's simple and makes sense.

Why fire writers and concept artists if you can have them working on another game with its own funds and it doesn't affect W2 at all? I'll imagine the money will come in handy for both projects since rent and stuff, but still.

Also I'm all on board with a MCA-led expansion. I mean for fucks sake, New Vegas' DLC was magnificent, just thinking about it.

Nokterian

Kickstarter fatigue can take a break for some Torment.

Alternatively Kickstarter fatigue actually only lasts for about a month or so after a huge Kickstarter. Once that's passed BRING ON MORE

That's why i backed this over others,since i love Torment (still have the original box and game).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, I thought I would hold off a bit to gauge interest, before going for the limited $20 tier, then saw how quickly it's being pledged, so joined in.

Didn't go for Wasteland 2 because I never played the Original, and not really feeling like I'm missing out but Planscape: Torment is up there in my best games played list so had to back this one.

Now, just how high will this go and what sort of stretch goals will there be? Wont be long to find out the latter it seems.

A lot of the people involved haven't done much of note either in the 14 years since PS:T released. At least looking at their Wiki's

You sure like jumping on this point about recent activity. They're building modern versions of what they've made before many times in the past. They sound like they have all of their marbles in place when they're in front of the camera and recorder. So far, I don't think there's any reason to doubt their ability to be better than just about anyone else out there now to build what they're promising they're building with our money.

Perkel

Banned
Kickstarter fatigue can take a break for some Torment.

Alternatively Kickstarter fatigue actually only lasts for about a month or so after a huge Kickstarter. Once that's passed BRING ON MORE

People need to realize that there is no such a think as Kickstarter fatigue. People don't need to fund more than 20$. And 20$ is steam sale price.

People after DFA said that there will be fatigue
People after Wasteland 2 said that there will be fatigue
People after Planetary Anihilation said there will be fatigue
Poeple after XXXX said there will be fatigue.

And what is most interesting:

People after DFA and Wasteland 2 said that those old developers will suck out money from other kickstarters.

In fact thanks to big kickstarters other gaming kickstarters got enormous boost in money.

People say many things but they have no proof. Right now Kickstarter is growing with each month and recent Torment is just proof of that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
on a sidenote I've received an update from Sui Generis KS today. I thought it was dead in the water but it looks like they have secured some additional funding (from the looks of it). So more RPG goodness may wait in the future.

zkylon

zkylewd
This kinda makes me sad Obsidian went the more traditional route with Eternity.

Clearly Torment's KS has now proved people are into spending money on weird shit.

Perkel

Banned
The $250 tier really is selling out. In fact, it might sell out withing the first 24 hours. Amazing.

I think they will increase amount of avabile tiers. No one @ inXile predicted that amount of support.

on a sidenote I've received an update from Sue Generis KS today. I thought it was dead in the water but it looks like they have secured some additional funding (from the looks of it). So more RPG goodness may wait in the future.

My body is ready for Sui Generis. Their combat model looks just plain amazing.

This kinda makes me sad Obsidian went the more traditional route with Eternity.

Clearly Torment's KS has now proved people are into spending money on weird shit.

pachino_stare.gif

FnordChan

I totally have a double sawbuck for Faran Brygo and Monte Cook. Those guys could announce they were teaming up to publish their new book Cooking With Little Debbie Snack Cakes and I'd happily shell out some cash.

FnordChan, adrift on tides of funded Kickstarter projects

Tanolen

Any idea how much wasteland 2 is going to be sold for? I didnt back it and that 45 dollar tier is nice. (If they ship the wasteland 2 code when it releases and not dec 2014 like the bottom says.)

Durante

Any idea how much wasteland 2 is going to be sold for? I didnt back it and that 45 dollar tier is nice. (If they ship the wasteland 2 code when it releases and not dec 2014 like the bottom says.)
I think it will be normal PC game pricing, but I can't find any source for that right now.

Eusis

People need to realize that there is no such a think as Kickstarter fatigue. People don't need to fund more than 20$. And 20$ is steam sale price.

People after DFA said that there will be fatigue
People after Wasteland 2 said that there will be fatigue
People after Planetary Anihilation said there will be fatigue
Poeple after XXXX said there will be fatigue.

And what is most interesting:

People after DFA and Wasteland 2 said that those old developers will suck out money from other kickstarters.

In fact thanks to big kickstarters other gaming kickstarters got enormous boost in money.

People say many things but they have no proof. Right now Kickstarter is growing with each month and recent Torment is just proof of that.
Well, it's probably more accurate to say this is probably more like normal game sales as far as "fatigue" goes. This isn't an issue about people not wanting to use Kickstarter, if that happens it will be after some massive failures, but too many at once and people may simply not fund all of the ones they would've if spaced out, or they even compete with new games coming (you ARE essentially buying a game afterall.) In that regard this is a good time either way: there hasn't been a huge Kickstarter for a few months I believe, and while there's lots of great (or at least hyped) games coming out it's not like that holiday crunch of massive games and massive sales.

Actually, where I most likely expect serious stumbling is with the "whales", similar to mobile games the ones who'll throw in hundreds and thousands to get these games funded. Unless they're Notch rich or absurdly so otherwise I imagine they'd only do huge backing for a small handful of titles then either abstain or go or lower tiers otherwise, though in this case it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Why did you have to show me that!? I should just sign my checks to Brian and the ream now.

Also, upped my pledge to the $110 tier after finally getting to see that pitch video. :)

you gained karma

I really wish a stretch goal was having Fargo send a letter to like EA saying FUCK YOU IN THE FACE.

?

oh can we make this happen somehow? please please please
I mean they took people's advice on the other pledge rewards too...

Midou

Funded in 6 hours, and 900k at that. I know it will slow down a lot, but wonder how ambitious their stretch goals will be.

Perkel

Banned
Brian Fargo are you ok? Tweet if you are ok.

FARGO said:
You’ve got to be freaking kidding me!! Our heads are still spinning at the incredible response we have had from today's support of our Kickstarter campaign. We had plans to roll out our stretch goals and to write our Kickstarter updates but never in our wildest dreams did we think we would fund this quickly!!! We are joyfully scrambling right now to get a longer update and some stretch goals in front of you as soon as we can. We should have more to say later today.

You are all unbelievably awesome and we could not be happier about receiving your trust in us. For many years we have wanted to get back to making this style of RPG but it appeared that the market was going everywhere but that direction. Almost every article and new game was focused on being an MMO, multi-player or micro-transition based. This wasn’t our style and we couldn’t generate interest in the classical narrative type of RPG that we all grew up making and playing. Thank you for backing our vision once again and we will not let you down. We will continue to communicate and and make sure we solicit input such that the game is hitting all the right notes.

Our goal is to make great RPGs for you all for the rest of our careers.

Thank you,

Top Bottom