• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Lancehead

inXile might not have the game design prestige of Obsidian, and the demo of Wasteland 2 does look pretty rough especially in the loose mechanics which are currently implemented, but goddamn somehow they always get amazing artists on board. I wish Project Eternity looked as good as the concept art from WL2 and Torment so far. :(

Why are you comparing art with concept art? P:E in-game screenshot looks way better than WL2.

Azih

This is a question though, do they put 'stretch goals' beyond say 1.3 million to try to get extra funding or will they put up their original plans?

950 K Stretch Goal: Already funded LOL

1 Mill Stretch Goal: DONE DONE DONE

injurai

Banned
Dropped $1 grand on this. Words cannot describe how much I loved the original Planescape: Torment. Jumping for joy at this game.

:')

Holy shit!

Awesome work.

Do you get to create an item now?

Aquamarine Infused armlet of the Knights who highfive!!!

Eusis

By the way, the skepticism is probably why I'll keep it at $20. If I knew they made great games, and great physical packages, I'd be more inclined (though maybe not at this specific point) to chip in for a physical copy. But right now, I'd rather show some support in the chance it ends up being great, and if not then it's not a huge loss at least.

SerRodrik

I fully believe Avellone will be stretch goal.

If Avellone is stretch goal this kickstarter will get more money than Star Citizent did in 40 days with after campain support.

I'd think this if it weren't for the fact that he's probably still working full tilt on Project Eternity. I don't know that he would/should risk spreading himself too thin, given that he has his own kickstarter backers to serve before anyone else.

Perkel

Banned
Kickstarter just confirmed that Torment reached faster 1st milion than any other gaming project. Including OUYA

duckroll

Why are you comparing art with concept art? P:E in-game screenshot looks way better than WL2.

It's not an in-game screenshot. It's a target render. There are no in-game screenshots for Project Eternity because there are no implemented areas in the game yet.

As far as comparing concept art goes, concept art sets the tone for what actually gets implemented. :p

volturnus

Banned
Holy shit!

Awesome work.

Do you get to create an item now?

Aquamarine Infused armlet of the Knights who highfive!!!
Speaking of creating items, the GAF Inn in Project Eternity is going to be awesome.
Too bad they didn't come up with something just as interesting for this, I could see shagg convincing people again.

Lancehead

It's not an in-game screenshot. It's a target render. There are no in-game screenshots for Project Eternity because there are no implemented areas in the game yet.

As far as comparing concept art goes, concept art sets the tone for what actually gets implemented. :p

That's a good indication of how the game will look, because rendered 2D backgrounds, not 3D.

I don't put much stock in concept art, you need to have good artists first to realise the concept art well.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Their updates have been really lacking, just some vague comments each month about what's involved in production, staff changes, etc. We haven't really been seeing anything shape up ourselves. In the January update they claimed they had new footage ready to show "in the next few weeks," but silence since then.

Dead State KS is really dissapointing. I remember Mitsoda popped in VTMB thread right before the end of his KS and was like "wow, I'm really glad that the game is a cult hit, I'll answer the questions, blah-blah-blah, DON'T FORGET TO BACK US BTW". He hadn't answered any questions after that and seem to forgot about the thread (and backers too). It's kinda a dickish attitude. Yeah, he wrote a good game, directed voice acting and made some good design decisions on dialogues in Alpha Protocol but it seems that he can't manage projects on his own and can't handle the load.

Game development is hard and unpredictable, Grim Dawn guys are late with their alpha too, but they are transparent at least. We know that they had problems with animations, but then they've hired an animator and he has been working his ass off while the game progresses in other ways (and they show how it progresses). Mitsoda shows nothing. It's telling that he managed to release only one game in his whole carreer.

I really hate myself when I back Kickstarters like this. The rational part of me is screaming about how I should wait until the game actually exists and I can make an informed purchase instead of taking a needless, pointless risk just because the $20 tier is limited. As if I wouldn't be able to get the game for that much or less in the future, anyway.

So far, I've sunk money into:

Double Fine Adventure
Wasteland
Shadowrun
Project Eternity
Solforge

And I already regret Solforge because I backed that one for a lot ($115) and have already lost interest in it.

Beckx

Well, Brian's going to be pulling matching dollars out of his wallet a lot faster than I bet he thought he would. :)

wrowa

I fully believe Avellone will be stretch goal.

If Avellone is stretch goal this kickstarter will get more money than Star Citizent did in 40 days with after campain support.

I'd love to think so, but I think there's a simple reason why he's not part of Torment: He's busy with Project Eternity. He likely needs to write a ton of text for it, not to forget the novella promised to backers. Rumors (unverified ones though) say that he might be just a human being with limited resources.

Regarding inXile, I was very pessimistic during Wasteland's kickstarter and I couldn't understand why it got as much money as it got. But honestly, since then I pretty much changed my mind. Wasteland is shaping up great, they are really in touch with the community and they've got some cool people on board. Especially in Torment's case, I'm not worried at all. Even without Avellone they've got great people to attached to the game -- I'm confident. It also helps that writing and art is the most important part of a Torment game and they seem to nail that.

And to be honest, Obsidian are pushing inXile quite a bit. If they are confident, why should I have doubts?:p

subversus

That's a good indication of how the game will look, because rendered 2D backgrounds, not 3D.

I don't put much stock in concept art, you need to have good artists first to realise the concept art well.

what if backgrounds will be prerendered? (I'm sure they will). Concept art will play a huge role then.

Durante

Dead State KS is really dissapointing. I remember Mitsoda popped in VTMB thread right before the end of his KS and was like "wow, I'm really glad that the game is a cult hit, I'll answer the questions, blah-blah-blah, DON'T FORGET TO BACK US BTW". He hadn't answered any questions after that and seem to forgot about the thread (and backers too). It's kinda a dickish attitude. Yeah, he wrote a good game, directed voice acting and made some good design decisions on dialogues in Alpha Protocol but it seems that he can't manage projects on his own and can't handle the load.
It's true that they are bad at communicating, but Mitsoda is active pretty much every day on the Dead State forum. So it's not like he (or the project) has gone radio silent entirely. Still, they absolutely should have more regular kickstarter updates.

subversus

It's true that they are bad at communicating, but Mitsoda is active pretty much every day on the Dead State forum. So it's not like he (or the project) has gone radio silent entirely. Still, they absolutely should have more regular kickstarter updates.

it's good to know. Some developers are reaaaaly bad at communicating. Is it hard to drop a paragraph every week, like "We were working hard on AI this week, also John did some modelling, cee ya, thanks for support".

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
10k backer please!

I put $3k on Project Eternity, sort of an obscene amount of money as it were, so I sort of backed that horse to the exclusion of others. All the post-Kickstarter updates have made it clear that I didn't choose poorly, though; such capable people on that team, and the weekly updates have all been a pleasure to read.

My enthusiasm for backing Tides of Numenera is tempered by a few factors:

1) Second Kickstarter from InXile before we've played the first one

2) Wasteland 2's gameplay footage didn't inspire that much confidence

3) InXile rather than Obsidian

4) No Avellone involvement (yet)

5) No really exciting backer tiers, like the original art based on your likeness as a character portrait option or the NEOGAF INN

I'm probably in for at least $500 despite all that. ;b Edit: done.

I put $3k on Project Eternity, sort of an obscene amount of money as it were, so I sort of backed that horse to the exclusion of others. All the post-Kickstarter updates have made it clear that I didn't choose poorly, though; such capable people on that team, and the weekly updates have all been a pleasure to read.

My enthusiasm for backing Tides of Numenera is tempered by a few factors:

1) Second Kickstarter from InXile before we've played the first one

2) Wasteland 2's gameplay footage didn't inspire that much confidence

3) InXile rather than Obsidian

4) No Avellone involvement (yet)

5) No really exciting backer tiers, like the original art based on your likeness as a character portrait option or the NEOGAF INN
haha that would be the dream.
I liked wasteland 2's gameplay footage though.

volturnus

Banned
What are your Stretch Goals?

We're eager to make Torment the best it can be, but we'll wait to talk about Stretch Goals until after we have reached our target funding. Note that every $ we receive through this Kickstarter (and PayPal) for Torment will be invested into enhancing the game. Please join our community (register with us at tormentRPG.com and then visit torment.uservoice.com) to give us your Stretch Goal ideas and to vote on the ideas of others.

Some planned Stretch Goals include adding more writing talent (including some names you may find familiar), increasing the number of companions, and adding more Mark Morgan music (including some live orchestra pieces).

I think it's safe to say Avellone is a stretch goal.

subversus

haha that would be the dream.
I liked wasteland 2's gameplay footage though.

yeah, I was blown away by the footage - it had that Fallout feel down to its drawbacks too. As I've replayed Fallout 1-2 the last year my rose-tinted glasses cracked a bit but still I enjoyed the hell out of my multiple playthroughs.

Perkel

Banned
I think it's safe to say Avellone is a stretch goal.

George Ziets tweeted that he may or not may be as stretch goal.

yeah, I was blown away by the footage - it had that Fallout feel down to its drawbacks too. As I've replayed Fallout 1-2 the last year my rose-tinted glasses cracked a bit but still I enjoyed the hell out of my multiple playthroughs.

I loved that gameplay. I was honestly surprised that it looked so good in pre alpha stage.

injurai

Banned
Honestly the setting and art design is 100x as inspiring as PE. However, and possibly just because I've learned much more. PE sounds like it is going to nail the gameplay and 2D rendered zones much better.

Really excited for both.

Just checked the Kickstarter for the pen and paper Numenera rulebook that is the main source for this setting and........it received $517,255 pledged of $20,000 goal.

Thats insane!

It's Monte Fucking Cook! His name alone put this pnp RPG over the top for me.

I'm probably in for at least $500 despite all that. ;b Edit: done.

Anyone who is trying to get the physical collectors editions better get to it. The $95 and $250 tiers are gone, and $110 and $500 are going fast. Wish I got in on the $250, but disappeared while I was debating it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Dropped $1 grand on this. Words cannot describe how much I loved the original Planescape: Torment. Jumping for joy at this game.

:')

Are you an in-game character, or did you go for that lam-o print?

I'm totally gonna kill your character on all my playthroughs :)

volturnus

Banned
Don't forget about Casey Hudson lol
Mac Walters and Casey Hudson at $2 million!

Reminds me:
gaming-heavenhell-600etzkc.jpg

Herla

He's a designer, though, isn't he? Shit, that could mean both George Ziets and Avellone.

He was the writer for Mask of The Betrayer.
Having both Ziets and Avellone on a Torment "sequel" might be more exciting than Project Eternity, they have to do this.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I continue to be impressed with how well Brian Fargo orchestrates the acquisition of talent. It's one of the most important aspects of the Kickstarter pitches. The name power here is already plenty sufficient for it to turn out well, but if we end up getting Avellone and Ziets as stretch goals it'll reach another level of excitement.

Top Bottom