• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Perkel

Banned
I really don't like the precedent this sets. People are going to turn Kickstarter from a cool way to help creative teams that need it to a shitty store where consumers take on all the risk, but the businesses get all the profit.

What precedent ?

My money my choice. You sound like those people from march 2012 after DFA kickstarter they spread FUD that kickstarter should be only for small indie titles etc.

In fact after DFA all other small kickstarters received massive amount of funding completely shutting up naysayers.

Cyrano

This thing is still going at a level rate of one-hundred thousand per hour...with no stretch goals announced yet.
A testament probably to both the pedigree and the deep desire to see more of these kinds of games with high production values, which seems to be entirely absent in more popular markets.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sigh...

b962ca3a55404edb61ec0e4bba98f91a_large.jpg
vs
image-163777-full.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sheesh, really puts the differing concepts of the projects in stark contrast. One of the reasons I couldn't get really motivated behind Eternity.

It has improved since:

I'm mostly speaking on how it affects the perception of each respective project during the kickstarter campaign. Perception is everything. Having drop-dead gorgeous amazing concept art front and center will probably influence backing in the range of seven figures.

duckroll

I just hope Obsidian doesn't fuck anything up management-wise, because I'm totally confident that Sawyer WILL deliver. Once the game is actually playable, there should be no more doubts. But it's a long road until then. >_<

Corto

I'll be disappointed if the difference is that big in game. Somehow I don't think that'll be the case.

I still believe that Project Eternity will look great in-game. The isometric distanced camera will be more forgiving to Obsidian and gorgeous detailed concept art as the one in Torment will be more difficult to translate to in-game assets.

GlassBox

Banned
It has improved since:

I'm mostly speaking on how it affects the perception of each respective project during the kickstarter campaign. Perception is everything. Having drop-dead gorgeous amazing concept art front and center will probably influence backing in the range of seven figures.
Agreed. For me it wasn't just the quality of the concepts, but the "uniqueness" in the style that caught my eye. Eternity's first concept art was hardly unique, and neither was the high fantasy setting.

Kurtofan

It has improved since:

The Snow Dwarf picture I posted was from day one...

Frogacuda

Banned
Like the original Double Fine pitch puts it, these games would likely not have happened outside this scenario. It is a case of gamers going "I would pay so much money for a new Torment game" and then allowing them to put their money where their mouth is.
Had they not had this massive success with Wasteland 2, that would probably be true, and I'd have no problem with it. But they did, which means they could have found a publisher to fund their next game (maybe even this one), and self-funded using Wasteland 2's profits.

I get why this is a better deal for them, but I don't like scenario where gamers are continually asked to shoulder all the risk, while the businesses get to keep all the profits. I don't mind doing that once in a while when someone needs something to get started, but coming back for seconds is a whole other matter.

They even hint in the video that now publishers are interested in them. They have other opportunities, but they would involve having to pay back loans or let a publisher get part of the cut, and they'd rather have you take on the burden instead. It's not so sympathetic this time.

Anyway, I don't want to start a whole debate about. Clearly most people don't think about it the way I do, and they just see Kickstarter as a big store to buy games. I'm certainly not here to tell anyone how to spend their money, but I'm sticking to my "one kickstarter per lifetime" rule.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Had they not had this massive success with Wasteland 2, that would probably be true, and I'd have no problem with it. But they did, which means they could have found a publisher to fund their next game (maybe even this one), and self-funded using Wasteland 2's profits.

I get why this is a better deal for them, but I don't like scenario where gamers are continually asked to shoulder all the risk, while the businesses get to keep all the profits. I don't mind doing that once in a while when someone needs something to get started, but coming back for seconds is a whole other matter.

They even hint in the video that now publishers are interested in them. They have other opportunities, but they would involve having to pay back loans or let a publisher get part of the cut, and they'd rather have you take on the burden instead. It's not so sympathetic this time.

Anyway, I don't want to start a whole debate about. Clearly most people don't think about it the way I do, and they just see Kickstarter as a big store to buy games. I'm certainly not here to tell anyone how to spend their money, but I'm sticking to my "one kickstarter per lifetime" rule.

Fuck the notion of an EA, Activision, or Ubisoft published Torment sequel.

Durante

Frogacuda said:
I can see where you are coming from with that, but for me this is a case of the end justifying the means. If Wasteland 2 turns out well, I wouldn't be opposed to backing even a third inXile kickstarter. I would, however, most likely cut back to a minimum pledge.

Eusis

Fuck the notion of an EA, Activision, or Ubisoft published Torment sequel.

this can't be stressed enough.
There would hopefully be other publishers willing to take this on and have the funding to do so, but I'd only really be frustrated if these games were great, smash successes and they STILL wanted to go to Kickstarter for each game. Once they have steady revenue coming in I'd rather it be saved for a particularly risky thing on the side as the doubles as a way to see just how many people are REALLY interested in it.

dude

dude
I knew people were gonna bring up the P:E art in this thread. Ugh, I hate GAF sometimes.

Anyway, yeah, I backed this shit like crazy. Since Wasteland and Eternity drained me financially, I didn't put as much this time around - But hey, the campaign is still young!

Top Bottom