• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

golem

Managed to snag one of the limited levels this morning, good thing I decided to wake up at a decent hour!

I think the Planetary Annihilation dudes are pretty far up there as well. They managed a multi-million kickstarter for a game that isn't an RPG and doesn't have an existing IP to lean on.

"Planetary Annihilation brings Real-Time Strategy to a new generation of gamers in a way they’ve never been seen before: Total Annihilation-inspired gameplay on a planetary scale."

Star Citizen fits your argument better :p (but even that coasted on the longing for another Freelancer/Wing Commander style game)

Nokterian

I think the Planetary Annihilation dudes are pretty far up there as well. They managed a multi-million kickstarter for a game that isn't an RPG and doesn't have an existing IP to lean on.

There making good progress on that one. Backed it also.

FACE

Banned

They ran an amazing kickstarter campaign(and their pitch video still is the best). Nobody in the thread thought they'd hit 1.5m and they ended up with 2.2.

Edit: Here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=487088&page=4

Edit 2: The best crowd funding thread is the Star Citizen one. "Those stretch goals are madness! They'll never reach them" lol.

Zeliard

Who says he can't supervise this one as well?

I was wondering what the odds were on another Avellone stretch goal, but I imagine he's pretty busy, even if his work on Wasteland 2 is done. Plus he may feel like Eternity and Torment duties would overlap to some extent, so he would probably prefer to work on just one of those.

Mazre

In for a boxed copy. Setting sounds fantastic and if they can pull off the tides stuff it could be something really special.

Holy mother. I was going to drop $20 this afternoon and had to run out. Come back and it's all gone. Guess I'm going to have to go $25.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Every RPG Kickstarter can make use of an Avellone Bump, probably none more than the sequel to Torment. Even if it's just token representation like designing one of the party members and consulting on the story, both parties know it would be more than worthwhile to make that happen.

They've passed Dreamfall's total in less than a day.

Planescape: Torment isn't considered probably the best RPG ever for nothing... it's obvious that there was a lot of demand for a followup.

Also though, Torment: Tides of Numenera has a better pitch video and post, and better tiers too -- $65 for the basic boxed game, for instance, and $95/110 ($110 only now, for as long as they last) for the collector's edition, while Dreamfall Chapters is $110 for the basic boxed version, while the collectors' edition costs way more. Torment has much better, more affordable physical tiers that get you more for less money. I mean, in Torment you get a physical artbook, soundtrack CD, and cloth map at $95/$110! In Dreamfall Chapters you get just a disc and manual for that price. Torment makes me want to bump up to the $110 tier, while Dreamfall Chapters? There's much less incentive to, so I've just stayed at the basic digital tier. I'm not paying over $100 for just the basic box, and I wouldn't have with this game either if the basic box was $95 or $110 and the collector's edition more. But they didn't do that, to their benefit.

Zeliard

Every RPG Kickstarter can make use of an Avellone Bump, probably none more than the sequel to Torment. Even if it's just token representation like designing one of the party members and consulting on the story, both parties know it would be more than worthwhile to make that happen.

An Avellone stretch goal here would undoubtedly be a juggernaut. For the most part his lack of participation seems to be the single biggest reservation people have.

FACE

Banned
Planescape: Torment isn't considered probably the best RPG Ever for nothing... it's obvious that there was a lot of demand for a followup.

Also though, Torment: Tides of Numenera has a better pitch video and post, and better tiers too -- $65 for the basic boxed game, for instance, and $95/110 ($110 only now, for as long as they last) for the collector's edition, while Dreamfall Chapters is $110 for the basic boxed version, while the collectors' edition costs way more. Torment has much better, more affordable physical tiers that get you more for less money. I mean, in Torment you get a physical artbook, soundtrack CD, and cloth map at $95/$110! In Dreamfall Chapters you get just a disc and manual for that price. Torment makes me want to bump up to the $110 tier, while Dreamfall Chapters? There's much less incentive to.

InXile did a good job with the tiers.

sflufan

Banned
The explanation is that PC gamers have more disposable income than anyone else I think.

Considering that the PC gaming demographic probably skews somewhat older and therefore probably has a higher income level, then that's a reasonable conclusion.

The explanation is that PC gamers have more disposable income than anyone else I think.

Those that fondly remember playing Torment, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc. are likely over thirty and probably do have the disposable income to help fund these projects. I know I'm in that camp.

Zaptruder

Banned
Missed out on the wasteland 2 kickstarter.

Bam. $45 = Torment and Wasteland 2.

And publishers by and large are shit heels in gaming.

The publisher attached to Mechwarrior Online has just pushed in a 'feature' that the developers claimed that they'd never do when they pitched it: Pay 2 win.

Will be leaving game over that one.

I can't blame avellone for not wanting anything to do with it, PS:T was his magnum opus. There's a huge potential for fuck up on this and who wants to pull a warren spector/DX2?

Lime

I can't stop appreciating this quality concept art. It looks so good:

b962ca3a55404edb61ec0e4bba98f91a_large.jpg

If only Obsidian would have adhered up to the same standards for Project Eternity.

epmode

I can't blame avellone for not wanting anything to do with it, PS:T was his magnum opus.

Avellone has said that he wants to do another game like Torment for years now. I feel like his genuine hatred for RPG tropes would be better suited for this than Eternity but he's one of the most important people at Obsidian now.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Glad to hear that they acknowledge they already passed some stretch goals and will be retro-activating them. People can smell greedy bs 10 miles away, gotta be SMART GOTTA GO FASTTT

I can't blame avellone for not wanting anything to do with it, PS:T was his magnum opus. There's a huge potential for fuck up on this and who wants to pull a warren spector/DX2?

MCA was interested. If the timing was different he could've joined. As it is, he'll likely work on another Torment successor somewhere down the line, I hope. Joining in with this project as a stretch goal is exceedingly unlikely, he's got a full plate with Eternity and Obsidian's publisher pitches.

Glad to hear that they acknowledge they already passed some stretch goals and will be retro-activating them. People can smell greedy bs 10 miles away, gotta be SMART GOTTA GO FASTTT

I just hope we get the stretch goals up soon because we're closing in on our next stretch goal, haha.

Durante

Someone needs to make some kind of Sonic gotta go fast gif with the kickstarter total increasing in the background. Or maybe the remaining reward slots decreasing :p

Someone needs to make some kind of Sonic gotta go fast gif with the kickstarter total increasing in the background. Or maybe the remaining reward slots decreasing :p

I half expect Harry Enfield gifs with Brian Fargo's head badly photoshopped on top.

Fluctuating between 250 and 500. I "reserved" a $250, but have pledge $500. I would really like the wall map, and signatures are cool. My only problem is that since the rule and guidebook are signed, I'll probably never read them. At least you have digital copy of the novellas to read and leave those as they are.

I think a 350 tier with the wall map and maybe the box only signed would be my sweetspot, but I'm now probably going to just jump up to $500 and say fuck it. More than I gave to Project Eternity, but I actually have income now, and this pitch looks amazing.

Is Numenera brand new? I did my research on the phone, and ended up with Numenaria, which was obviously wrong. Looks like it is launching soon, not really out there yet?

FACE

Banned
Fluctuating between 250 and 500. I "reserved" a $250, but have pledge $500. I would really like the wall map, and signatures are cool. My only problem is that since the rule and guidebook are signed, I'll probably never read them. At least you have digital copy of the novellas to read and leave those as they are.

I think a 350 tier with the wall map and maybe the box only signed would be my sweetspot, but I'm now probably going to just jump up to $500 and say fuck it. More than I gave to Project Eternity, but I actually have income now, and this pitch looks amazing.

Is Numenera brand new? I did my research on the phone, and ended up with Numenaria, which was obviously wrong. Looks like it is launching soon, not really out there yet?

Yes, Monte Cook kickstarted it last year: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/numenera-a-new-roleplaying-game-from-monte-cook

Izick

If they honestly reboot Twin Peaks again then I should start playing the lottery, because all I did over my holiday break was play PT and watch TP. Initials are even similar. Weird.

Maybe I should play KOTOR next? I could use a KOTOR III.

Corto

And I expect the stretch goals to be better handled than Wasteland 2 hehehe Granted it was uncharted territory then, Fargo knows better by now. Remember the "More content! More depth! We'll hire more people!"? Good times.

Top Bottom