• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Maxrunner

So they have a 45$ option that gives backers 2 games, meanwhile those who backed wasteland 2 with 35$ get screwed or am i wrong?

Saige

I must do better.
Goddamn inXile makes some beautiful concept art. Backed this at $20 for now.

I really need stop getting side-tracked with other shittier games and just finish Planescape.

Zeliard

Well that's because he's Monte Fucking Cook and tabletop games are HUGE on kickstater, check Ogre, Zombicide Season 2 and Kingdom Death and be amazed.

Definitely. I'm happy Steve Jackson Games had great success there as well.

Monte Cook and Colin McComb teaming up is going to be very, very nice.

JDSN

Banned
And I expect the stretch goals to be better handled than Wasteland 2 hehehe Granted it was uncharted territory then, Fargo knows better by now. Remember the "More content! More depth! We'll hire more people!"? Good times.

Yeah, I remember how quickly he backtracked from his "social features" goal.

Corto

So they have a 45$ option that gives backers 2 games, meanwhile those who backed wasteland 2 with 35$ get screwed or am i wrong?

You can buy today Bioshock Infinite on greenmangaming and get Bioshock 1 and 2 for free just to sweeten the deal. Do you expect that inXile retroactively gives you, as a Wasteland 2 backer, a copy of Torment, a game that is still on its pledging campaign, as an incentive to a game that was already funded?

Durante

Yeah, I remember how quickly he backtracked from his "social features" goal.
It's pretty amazing really how much "collective knowledge" has been gained concerning the crowdfunding of games over the past year or so. Looking back, those early kickstarter campaigns seem woefully unprepared -- even those that were highly regarded at the time.

FACE

Banned
Definitely. I'm happy Steve Jackson Games had great success there as well.

Monte Cook and Colin McComb teaming up is going to be very, very nice.

I think they're planning to do another Kickstarter this year.

Looking at Kingdom Death I saw that a lot of the stretch goals involved tits and since Zombicide is also making bank is anyone up to do a tits x zombies tabletop game kickstater?

Maxrunner

You can buy today Bioshock Infinite on greenmangaming and get Bioshock 1 and 2 for free just to sweeten the deal. Do you expect that inXile retroactively gives you, as a Wasteland 2 backer, a copy of Torment, a game that is still on its pledging campaign, as an incentive to a game that was already funded?
No, but i would expect that they had an option for wasteland 2 backers...but whatever...

Lime

I just wanted to use this opportunity to say, once again, that Kickstarter is the best thing to happen to gaming, probably ever.

I mean, These past two years have been one hell of a ride for me as a PC gamer. Each campaign fills me with so much excitement, and seeing so many people also putting down money for these games makes me really giddy.

So true. You have no idea how much it has impacted me and the outlook of the industry. Next to digital distribution's rejuvenation of the PC market, Kickstarter has turned me into:

785975354_656113porav.gif

nbthedude

So true. You have no idea how much it has impacted me and the outlook of the industry. Next to digital distribution's rejuvenation of the PC market, Kickstarter has turned me into:

785975354_656113porav.gif

That is all well and good but let us wait until we have the products in hand to pass judgement.

FTL was a great start but it is only one game in a sea of promises.

Zeliard

It's pretty amazing really how much "collective knowledge" has been gained concerning the crowdfunding of games over the past year or so. Looking back, those early kickstarter campaigns seem woefully unprepared -- even those that were highly regarded at the time.

All true, but it's also to be expected since those were early days.

What is just strange nowadays is when you get a Kickstarter like Tom Hall & Brenda Brathwaite's "effort." At this point there are several very successful gaming Kickstarters to look at as models, so there is really no excuse for not at least putting together a decent proposal, even if you don't ultimately meet your funding goal.

Lime

FTL was a great start but it is only one game in a sea of promises.

And Chivalry (amazing game with lots of free maps and updates). And what looks to be Shadowrun Returns as well (gameplay demo on Sunday)

True. True.

Banner Saga: Factions is a great harbinger of things to come from that game.

Did you guys read the Gamasutra article? As I posted in the other thread, this seems more like a case of miscommunication or -interpretation.

Eusis

It seems sorta like there's more Kickstarted games than we're assuming, it's just none of them were big deals that get millions. Though the fact FTL and Chilvary got a lot more attention post-Kickstarter does make me wonder if similar can happen with these games, or if most of the audience already jumped on? I'd like it if we mainly just funded really good games, and when they actually come out bring in plenty of cash.

not to get off topic but I wish the art style was better for shadowrun, it might be weird for me to say but I like what the snes one look like more...seem less colorful and more gritty.

Lime

It seems sorta like there's more Kickstarted games than we're assuming, it's just none of them were big deals that get millions. Though the fact FTL and Chilvary got a lot more attention post-Kickstarter does make me wonder if similar can happen with these games, or if most of the audience already jumped on? I'd like it if we mainly just funded really good games, and when they actually come out bring in plenty of cash.

Anecdote incoming!

Chivalry had a large bleed-over effect and many of the people I know bought both FTL and Chivalry when they were finally released. Being on the frontpage or during a weekendsale on Steam, Amazon or GMG have helped immensely for both FTL and Chivalry.

Many of these mentioned people haven't backed any Kickstarter projects either, despite them being huge Infinity Engine RPG fans from back then.

~Kinggi~

Banned
not to get off topic but I wish the art style was better for shadowrun, it might be weird for me to say but I like what the snes one look like more...seem less colorful and more gritty.

I actually really like the look (above) if that is actual gameplay. Seems like a lot of opportunity for personality and interesting areas.

Corto

And Chivalry. And what looks to be Shadowrun Returns as well (gameplay demo on Sunday)

Did you guys read the Gamasutra article? As I posted in the other thread, this seems more like miscommunication or -interpretation.

Finished just a few minutes ago. It was a difficult project to handle the communication from the beginning considering its characteristics. The episodic nature of the game, the multiplayer F2P portion. While those were all planned from the beginning they should have hammered that at every possible opportunity so no doubt were left on backers minds. Sorry for the OT.

Eusis

Anecdote incoming!

Chivalry had a large bleed-over effect and many of the people I know bought both FTL and Chivalry when they were finally released. Being on the frontpage or during a weekendsale on Steam, Amazon or GMG have helped immensely for both FTL and Chivalry.

Many of these mentioned people haven't backed any Kickstarter projects either, despite them being huge Infinity Engine RPG fans from back then.
Makes me mildly optimistic they can at least double the money they earn once the game's on sale and people are playing it and talking about it.

Lime

I said I thought it was great.

:lol

I thought it was sarcastic because of the recent controversy surrounding the Factions release on Steam.

Finished just a few minutes ago. It was a difficult project to handle the communication from the beginning considering its characteristics. The episodic nature of the game, the multiplayer F2P portion. While those were all planned from the beginning they should have hammered that at every possible opportunity so no doubt were left on backers minds. Sorry for the OT.

I agree that it could have been handled better. Hopefully it doesn't put a stain on backer reliance to Kickstarter in general.

Makes me mildly optimistic they can at least double the money they earn once the game's on sale and people are playing it and talking about it.

Yeah, I think DD exposure after the release, in addition to word-of-mouth if the games are actually good, will ensure many, many more sales.

:lol

I thought it was sarcastic because of the recent controversy surrounding the Factions release on Steam.

Yeah. But we all expected such a reaction. I mean, F2P anything is going to get a bad rap. And then adding microtransactions? I honestly am interested in the reaction from fans when other KS games start doing things like DLC and MP.

Zarx

I hope they can get some stretch goals up soon, I mean they already have an extra $500k to invest in the game so I hope the first stretch goal is a big one. Can't wait to get more info.

Eusis

Backed for $25! Wow at the opening day on this one, $1.36M already...
The $20 tier's still open and gets you all the same stuff. Unless you just want to pitch in more, but then I'd go for $35 for that soundtrack and especially artbook.

Top Bottom