• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Eusis

20$ has been sold out for half the day now.
Welp, that's what I get for assuming they updated how many jumped on tiers like they updated the money count.

Though I think that makes the $35 tier yet more appealing, kind of like why I jumped at similar for Project Eternity.

Midou

Wonder how they will handle stretch goals. Will they post them as real goals that seemed logical for that amount and mark them off as complete, will they just say 'we're going to use the extra money to make the game better' and present stretch goals from 2.0 million and up? (assuming they do it tomorrow morning and it hits around that).

Guess we will see. If they make them too simple, will seem kind of douchey, but stretch goals in retrospect are kind of a waste of everyone's time anyways..

I think we are at the 12 or 13 hour mark right now.

Yeah, 13 hour mark in about 15 minutes, started 9 AM EST. 200% by 24 hour mark seems reasonable.

Durante

What I noticed from the start is that some "obvious" stretch goals like multiplatform support or various languages are already covered by the initial pitch. I'm really curious what they have planned.

Lime

$35 for what would normally considered to be a $60 Collector's Edition, to a sequel for one of the greatest games ever made.

Kickstarter is such a huge scam.

Eusis

What I noticed from the start is that some "obvious" stretch goals like multiplatform support or various languages are already covered by the initial pitch. I'm really curious what they have planned.
Well, I am guessing that with Wasteland 2 experience it'd be trivial to do the same again, and Steambox (despite being tentative on that page) means it's even more worthwhile to pursue Linux as that'd probably make running on that easy.

Zeliard

$35 for what would normally considered to be a $60 Collector's Edition, to a sequel for one of the greatest games ever made.

Kickstarter is such a huge scam.

I went for the $110 tier. It's juicy. Saddened that I missed out on the $95 early bird special. That's quite the offer.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Clearly, they need a large image, with a giant naked women, except it is mostly covered up, and each million will unlock a new layer down, revealing the naughty bits. That is a fresh and original idea.

Also i was looking at the kicktraqs for the other big games and this obliterates it. Either this will be hugely front loaded compared to others or it will come in at around 5-6 million at the final.

Midou

Clearly, they need a large image, with a giant naked women, except it is mostly covered up, and each million will unlock a new layer down, revealing the naughty bits. That is a fresh and original idea.

Also i was looking at the kicktraqs for the other big games and this obliterates it. Either this will be hugely front loaded compared to others or it will come in at around 5-6 million at the final.

I was going to say 5 million is the absolute high end, but it has kept the momentum longer than I was expecting. Though obviously within first few days, majority are likely to pledge, than a final push at the end. 5-6 million seems to be a reasonable expectation, though we shall see.

Will pledge more for large image of naked woman for stretch goals.

Also, wonder if games like this will finally get some developers to shut up about single player games being dead..

NeededSleep

backed. but only a small amount this time.

Way too many kickstarter projects going and nothing to show for them yet. I think i need to wait a few of them out to see if they even produce any quality products.

Lime

They can draw upon inspiration of the great, great designs of 90's CGI:

allowoup.jpg

By the way, this made me realize why PS:T bombed financially.

Purkake4

Banned
Well, I am guessing that with Wasteland 2 experience it'd be trivial to do the same again, and Steambox (despite being tentative on that page) means it's even more worthwhile to pursue Linux as that'd probably make running on that easy.
Welcome to the post-Wasteland 2 kickstarter era.

It's a brave new world.

7 million stretch goal:

The Nameless One NPC

Ooh. That would be something. But I assume TNO is probably tied up with the Planescape license? Or since he was an independent creation within the universe, is he and the other original NPCs part of the Torment license? Anyways, his story is done, but I wouldn't mind a cameo.

Telling you guys, this will happen.

Probably 2 millions pulled in just in the first day, the last two days will probably pull in 2 millions, leaving 28 days to pull in 3 million dollars.

I don't see why it wouldn't follow the pattern of Project Eternity. I would just extrapolate based on that. Sure this one starter better, so it will end better. But it also had a better initial pitch, while PE had good stretch goals (hard to compare these yet).

JDSN

Banned
Hopefully the devs do succeed at having better gameplay. Exciting news

The only reason I got one of the early bird basic is for the possibility of one of the bigger tier getting a better names involved, Avellone is out of the picture since I guess it would bring tons of rage to the Eternity backers. Maybe they could borrow Chris Jones.

allowoup.jpg

Ahh, they don't make 'em like they used to in the 90s anymore. I had forgotten that the West was capable of creating gorgeous, buxom, women in games due to the deluge of dudebro brown and grey shooters in the past decade.

What happened to you, Western gaming? Why do we have to turn to Japan (and perhaps Eastern Europe) for such wholesome goodness in this 21st century?

The only reason I got one of the early bird basic is for the possibility of one of the bigger tier getting a better names involved, Avellone is out of the picture since I guess it would bring tons of rage to the Eternity backers. Maybe they could borrow Chris Jones.

I could get behind a single Avellone written NPC or the like.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

allowoup.jpg

Planescape Torment was actually profitable, just not especially profitable: http://www.webcitation.org/5iqx3F0ot

RPGWatch: Planescape: Torment was never developed to be a huge hit. How much involvement or interference was there from the suits of the company?

Chris Avellone: As far as being a huge hit, I think everyone wanted Torment to sell very well (it made a profit, but not a huge one, and certainly not anywhere near Baldur's Gate numbers).

Still, there were a number of elements that I think hurt it in the long run:

- Not an accessible setting. It's not a fantasy world that is comfortable for players to settle into, and we did not take pains to make it comfortable (no dwarves, elves, or halflings, as one minor example).

- Story-heavy in the wrong ways. It has a slow start, and while the momentum does pick up in the Hive, there's a lot of reading, and people don't buy games to read, they buy games to play them.

- Marketing. The box of the product reinforces #1 above - it says, "hey, we're strange," rather than promoting it as a role-playing game using the Baldur's Gate engine, which probably would have made it a more interesting target to the game community.

As far as interference-from-above goes, we probably could have used more than we had - like Fallout, Torment was sort of under the radar for a while, and the producer role changed several times over the course of the project. Brian Fargo was mostly hands off, except to complement us on the writing, and give me a pretty stern lecture (deservedly) about the localization costs for the game. Feargus was also concerned about how much it slipped over the course of the development cycle, and those weren't fun discussions.

Colin McComb: As far as I know, a surprisingly small amount compared to the amount of money they spent on us. We had to do a few dog-and-pony shows for game magazines, a couple of presentations for the investors, but from my perspective, the executives didn't get too involved with our development cycle, focused as they were on the big money titles like Fallout 2, Stonekeep 2, and the games on the other side of the building. Chris might have a different story, since he was a step higher on the ladder, and he may simply have performed the valuable service of protecting all his designers from any spatters from above. I certainly never felt that we were being jogged or pushed in any one particular direction especially.

Zeliard

Ooh. That would be something. But I assume TNO is probably tied up with the Planescape license? Or since he was an independent creation within the universe, is he and the other original NPCs part of the Torment license? Anyways, his story is done, but I wouldn't mind a cameo.

I assume they are part of the Torment license, since they are Avellone's creation and not an intrinsic part of Planescape.

Though I doubt we're going to see cameos, especially from someone as significant as TNO, since they're two completely different settings. Maybe a subtle Morte easter egg :>

Lime

Ahh, they don't make 'em like they used to in the 90s anymore.

What happened to you, Western gaming? Why do we have to turn to Japan (and perhaps Eastern Europe) for such wholesome goodness in this 21st century?

I was actually being sarcastic. They look terrible.

Planescape Torment was actually profitable, just not especially profitable: http://www.webcitation.org/5iqx3F0ot

PS:T didn't bomb. It didn't sell as well as the Baldur's Gate games, certainly, but it didn't bomb.

Sorry, I misued the word "bomb". What I meant was "not financially successful". In anyway I stand corrected.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorry, I misued the word "bomb". What I meant was "not financially successful".

I stealth edited the interview into my post, which kind of explains why Obsidian was going on about Project Eternity's setting having to be something "more normal".

I assume they are part of the Torment license, since they are Avellone's creation and not an intrinsic part of Planescape.

Though I doubt we're going to see cameos, especially from someone as significant as TNO, since they're two completely different settings. Maybe a subtle Morte easter egg :>

Yeah, I guess I meant cameo more in the sense of an easter egg. Like a story about the characters, or you see someone who likes like one of them in an area or something. But Planescape would lend itself well to an actual cameo, even if that cameo had (legally speaking) absolutely nothing to do with Planescape.

Time to get creative, Fargo.

Yup. Mathematically speaking, of course. 1mn goal becomes 1.2, 1.2 becomes 1.5. Gives them time to think up something really good!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Personally i think Brian should invest in a better green screen and team up with Frances McDormand and William H. Macy for a fantasy retelling of Coen's classic.

Lime

I stealth edited the interview into my post, which kind of explains why Obsidian was going on about Project Eternity's setting having to be something "more normal".

Yes, good point. It explains the conservative approach to PE. Nevertheless, I can't shake the feeling that Avellone & Co. have concluded incorrectly on the reasons why people might have been off-put by Planescape: Torment's setting - I wouldn't say it's the world or theme, but rather the not-good character designs as evidenced in the CGI marketing materials of the Nameless One or the female characters listed above. That's just a personal opinion of course.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, good point. It explains the conservative approach to PE. Nevertheless, I can't shake the feeling that Avellone & Co. have concluded incorrectly on the reasons why people might have been off-put by Planescape: Torment's setting - I wouldn't say it's the world or theme, but rather the not-good character designs as evidenced in the CGI marketing materials of the Nameless One or the female characters listed above. That's just a personal opinion of course.

Oh I definitely agree with you.

mclem

So, one thought percolating around my mind: What *else* could have this level of huge success right from the outset?

The only thing that springs to mind for me would be a bunch of the old Looking Glass team having somehow managed to get hold of the rights to System Shock and are able to produce their own independent SS3.

Instro

They definitely need to get good stretch goals going. Eternity was exceptional in this regard having big and interesting stretch goals for both dollar amount and backer amount, and constantly being ready with the next goal, and its the reason why it continued to hold strong in pledges, as well have a much bigger home stretch than Wasteland 2 did.

Time to get creative, Fargo.

Nah, I was kidding around with that tweet, we have a modular design plan set up for Torment anyway, in areas, followers, graphics (2D) or not, depending on funding and WL2 profitability. We won't run out of possible ways to expand it, that's all been outlined ahead of time, only problem now was finalizing one or two things and getting a nice writeup ready. We might hit or pass the first two stretch goals before we announce our stretch goals, but that's fine, it'd be dickish to shift them up, so on to the next stretch goal!

Top Bottom