• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

~Kinggi~

Banned
Nah, I was kidding around with that tweet, we have a modular design plan set up for Torment anyway, in areas, followers, graphics (2D) or not, depending on funding and WL2 profitability. We won't run out of possible ways to expand it, that's all been outlined ahead of time, only problem now was finalizing one or two things and getting a nice writeup ready. We might hit or pass the first two stretch goals before we announce our stretch goals, but that's fine, it'd be dickish to shift them up, so on to the next stretch goal!

Oh, didnt realize you posted here. Congrats. Anyway any thoughts as to the graphic style being used. You mention graphics (2d or not). I know its Unity but are you considering a 2d isometric artstyle?

Oh, didnt realize you posted here. Congrats. Anyway any thoughts as to the graphic style being used. You mention graphics (2d or not). I know its Unity but are you considering a 2d isometric artstyle?

Would love to, and it's doable. Obsidian is using Unity for PE and they're doing great work adapting it to 2D's unique needs, I'm sure they won't mind if we "borrow" some of their notes. :p

That said, it's a significant cost and time investment, 2D of that specific painterly style is more expensive to produce than 3D. Our first goal is to look at 3D emulating a painterly style, with an isometric camera. As funding goes up, we'll look at solidifying towards 2D, perhaps as a stretch goal (it'd be a pretty high stretch goal though).

~Kinggi~

Banned
Would love to, and it's doable. Obsidian is using Unity for PE and they're doing great work adapting it to 2D's unique needs, I'm sure they won't mind if we "borrow" some of their notes. :p

That said, it's a significant cost and time investment, 2D of that specific painterly style is more expensive to produce than 3D. Our first goal is to look at 3D emulating a painterly style, with an isometric camera. As funding goes up, we'll look at solidifying towards 2D, perhaps as a stretch goal (it'd be a pretty high stretch goal though).

Well you should shoot for it. Wonderful potential Torment would present over other games to introduce intricate and different worlds. I can see why that would be more difficult to achieve with strictly pre-rendering high detail. A hybrid with a creative pipeline might pull some stuff off though. Kinda like PE taking 3d models and doing a paintover for detail.

Midou

Nah, I was kidding around with that tweet, we have a modular design plan set up for Torment anyway, in areas, followers, graphics (2D) or not, depending on funding and WL2 profitability. We won't run out of possible ways to expand it, that's all been outlined ahead of time, only problem now was finalizing one or two things and getting a nice writeup ready. We might hit or pass the first two stretch goals before we announce our stretch goals, but that's fine, it'd be dickish to shift them up, so on to the next stretch goal!

Guess this is the biggest benefit to having already done a kickstarter, being prepared to scale the game based off funding instead of throwing together last minute stretch goals.

And making a solid pitch of course. :p

5 million dollar stretch goal for 2D environments! LETS DO THIS!

Lime

The concept art is the best I've seen in a long time. Both Wasteland 2 and Torment.

@Brian: you might want to tell Chris Avellone & co. to take note ;)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Very backed, pending. So happy to see this thrive. The stretch goals better be solid and updated as needed considering the overwhelming success. I think that's one of the reasons Project Eternity pledges were still rolling in consistently after the momentum died down, from what I observed. Then of course there was that final push to reach 4m at the end. I can easily see this surpassing that point which is pretty amazing.

Yeah, Brian and Matt assembled a pretty amazing team of artists, and we're not even that far into showing you guys their work. Really glad we don't have to break up that creative team, both on the concept art and the writing ends.

Kinda like PE taking 3d models and doing a paintover for detail.

3D models painted over is actually how PS:T and Baldur's Gate did it too. It's a pretty expensive process, though it's cheaper now compared to then, but it still basically adds another layer of work when you have to "handpaint" over.

JDSN

Banned
The concept art is the best I've seen in a long time. Both Wasteland 2 and Torment.

@Brian: you might want to tell Chris Avellone & co. to take note ;)

I think he is Thomas Beekers.

Their Wasteland 2 stuff is great too:
phW3O.jpg

mOJz7.jpg

image-105954-full.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
3D models painted over is actually how PS:T and Baldur's Gate did it too. It's a pretty expensive process, though it's cheaper now compared to then, but it still basically adds another layer of work when you have to "handpaint" over.

Yeah i had a brainfart there, pretty much every pre-rendered game ever does post work in photoshop and adds another layer to the process. :p

Midou

I'm not really into Table Top games but Numenera universe actually sounds pretty awesome. The way it's so far in the future with remnants of past civilizations seems like infinite potential for variety in locations.

Yeah, Brian and Matt assembled a pretty amazing team of artists, and we're not even that far into showing you guys their work. Really glad we don't have to break up that creative team, both on the concept art and the writing ends.

let brian receive a kiss on the mouth in the name of neoGAF

Instro

I find the production model being implemented to be pretty interesting btw. Assuming everything goes according to plan, essentially the "pre-production" team will likely be done be with Torment early next year, so I wonder if at that point they will pursue another Kickstarter. Wasteland 2 will likely be out by then as well, and if that pans out they will certainly have the full support of backers to continue running this sort of production setup. The cycle would be pretty impressive if managed well, a kickstarter at some point during the year while whatever game they were already working on releases at the end of that respective year to fuel support for the next kickstarter in the next year, and so on. Obviously it all hinges on the quality of the games being put out, and I'm sure dev times cannot be so consistent, but it seems like a smart way to prevent waste while continuing to iterate and build on the tools being created for Wasteland 2 and in turn Torment.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I find the production model being implemented to be pretty interesting btw. Assuming everything goes according to plan, essentially the "pre-production" team will likely be done be with Torment early next year, so I wonder if at that point they will pursue another Kickstarter. Wasteland 2 will likely be out by then as well, and if that pans out they will certainly have the full support of backers to continue running this sort of production setup. The cycle would be pretty impressive if managed well, a kickstarter at some point during the year while whatever game they were already working on releases at the end of that respective year to fuel support for the next kickstarter in the next year, and so on. Obviously it all hinges on the quality of the games being put out, and I'm sure dev times cannot be so consistent, but it seems like a smart way to prevent waste while continuing to iterate and build on the tools being created for Wasteland 2 and in turn Torment.

Its just like what Ubisoft does with their massive 8 teams working on annual Assassin's Creed games. They are all moving parts moving from one thing to the next and not always in sync with each other.

Instro

Its just like what Ubisoft does with their massive 8 teams working on annual Assassin's Creed games. They are all moving parts moving from one thing to the next and not always in sync with each other.

Exactly. Obviously in their case there are less variables when it comes to funding and future work, but presumably this kind of setup should work on a modest scale built around kickstarter funding.

I love how, on my Kicktraq app, Torment has made so much money and is trending so high that the initial goal has been pushed to the very bottom of the chart.

Wiktor

Well Mistoda doesn't have the name that Avellone or Fargo do. And I think Vampire: Bloodlines was far more of a cult hit than Wasteland or Torment.

Plus it was existing game, which needed money. It lacked that kind of wild "OMG! Without our support it will never be made" vibe, even if in reality that's exactly what is was.

Zeliard

The friendly relationship between inXile and Obsidian Entertainment is no secret. In collaboration with our colleagues at Obsidian, we are going to create a special pledge reward that will be given to all backers of both Torment and Obsidian’s Project Eternity – a Planescape: Torment Developer Retrospective (digitally distributed). This idea was suggested by community member Dema on our UserVoice forums and has been one of the most highly favored suggestions.

We’ve talked with many of the original developers of Planescape: Torment and they will generously contribute developer diaries/blogs in a compilation of their thoughts about the project. Learn about their experiences working on the game, behind-the-scenes stories, and how the game influenced their later work. This Retrospective will be made available before Torment launches next December.

Awesome!

Odrion

Banned
The success of InExile and Torment's Kickstarter is like a cooling balm on the blistering wound caused by Sim City 2013's fucking catastrophe.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
They should really included some stretch goal with him.

Like he writes a quest or a character or something.

I imagine the issue is that he is busy with Eternity and their unannounced game. He has to prioritize Obsidian's work first after all. Even a single character can be a substantial amount of work, unless it is some throw away NPC. In which case they really don't need him in the first place.

Fou-Lu

Well, I thought Project Eternity would be my last kickstarter for a while, I have been proven wrong. Now just to decide how much to pledge.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I like their front goals are focusing on story and writing. Also nice to see the live orchestra and the new companion already sounds interesting.

LiK

holy shit, you're here.

Feep

Banned
I thought this would be really bad for my own Kickstarter project, but I've actually been having a really good day. = D

Backed!

Zeliard

I like their front goals are focusing on story and writing. Also nice to see the live orchestra and the new companion already sounds interesting.

New companion sounds a bit like the successor to Nordom.

The Toy is a changing ball of goo: Is it a pet, an abandoned toy, a dangerous weapon? Whatever it is, it responds to the way you treat it by changing its appearance and abilities to reflect what it perceives as your desires.

Top Bottom