• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Miletius

The 1.5 and 2.0 M goals seem a bit underwhelming to me. In comparison, PE had a goals every 100k to 300k and a bit more clarity on exactly what crossing each goal meant. They also had a really sweet backer goal which encouraged positive word of mouth.

Then again, a lot of PE goals were things that Torment included as a baseline such as language support and mac/linux support. Hopefully this is just a rush job and we'll be hearing more and expanded goals soon.

Ceebs

Well backed this one too.

If this and Wasteland 2 turn out as good as promised it seems like InXile may have found the niche they can trade in for years to come. Would have to be preferable to making the kind of stuff they have been cranking out before.

gdt

I'm gonna knock out a game or two and pick up PS:T again. I loved what I played but something or other came out and stormed over it. Might just have to restart. The combat sucked shrek ass though.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
*1.5 million already funded*

YlWien2.jpg

Chromie

Banned
MCA was interested. If the timing was different he could've joined. As it is, he'll likely work on another Torment successor somewhere down the line, I hope. Joining in with this project as a stretch goal is exceedingly unlikely, he's got a full plate with Eternity and Obsidian's publisher pitches.

I just hope we get the stretch goals up soon because we're closing in on our next stretch goal, haha.

RPG Codex misses you!
codex_heart.png
codex_mob.png

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna knock out a game or two and pick up PS:T again. I loved what I played but something or other came out and stormed over it. Might just have to restart. The combat sucked shrek ass though.

Even the developers probably don't disagree that the combat is a weakness of the game. Play it as a Wizard (You'll miss out on parts of the story if you don't) and knock the difficulty down.

*EDIT:

Opening up a $20 pledge slot in a few minutes if anyone is interesting in jumping in at the ground level.

Instro

The 1.5 and 2.0 M goals seem a bit underwhelming to me. In comparison, PE had a goals every 100k to 300k and a bit more clarity on exactly what crossing each goal meant. They also had a really sweet backer goal which encouraged positive word of mouth.

Then again, a lot of PE goals were things that Torment included as a baseline such as language support and mac/linux support. Hopefully this is just a rush job and we'll be hearing more and expanded goals soon.

I think the only real difference is that the PE goals had little graphics to go with them rather than big chunks of text. Comparatively speaking a lot of what is being offered in these goals so far covers quite a few of the goals from PE, or was already covered in the initial offering. I would like to see something like that super dungeon thing, but perhaps that is not as fitting for this game as it was for PE. Considering the kickstarter is likely going to pass 2 million in the next 12 hours or so, the focus should probably be on the goals beyond that level once things start to slow down in the next few days.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So, if this makes enough money are they getting MCA involved in this one as well? Because between Project Eternity, Wasteland 2, and if they include this I might JUST get my MCA fix for the next year or 2.

Paertan

Backed using the Torment + Wasteland 2 option since I never got around to backing Wasteland 2.
Gonna play Planescape Torment soon. Just need to finish Fallout 1 first. Which I started last sunday.

Ok, just watched their trailer for kickstarter campaign and I think Mark's music sold me this one. If trailer alone brought me goosebumps then I'm definitely tempted to see what will happen to me with the full game.

Concept art is ridiculously good. Please let Obsidan have some of that. Bar the only released screenshot, everything artistic from PE looked like utter dogshit so far.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
$500k increments for the stretch goals? It's blazing forward right now, but that doesn't mean it's not going to slow down to the point where every $100k matters.

Violet_0

Banned
looking forward to this game, but I think I won't be backing their kickstarter this time unless they add another tier with some neat incentives in the lower price range. I'm already supporting all the other big RPG projects and I kinda don't want to pay for another title that I won't be able to play for 1 1/2 years.

e: ah screw it, the concept art is just too nice to not back this. Take all my money, InXile

Instro

People are probably only familiar with those very early pieces that were released. The difference with PE and Torment, is that the latter has clearly already put some time into the concept art at this stage whereas PE started from scratch with the kickstarter.

Kurtofan

Have they said how many companions there will be in the base game?

Edit:I see it's four, since the strech goal companion would be the fifth.

Durante

The comments to the most recent update make me realize that involving your backers in your game design isn't always the best idea.

How do you get from "you can play as a male or female PC, with your gender having an effect on your interactions with NPCs" to misogyny?

The comments to the most recent update make me realize that involving your backers in your game design isn't always the best idea.

How do you get from "you can play as a male or female PC, with your gender having an effect on your interactions with NPCs" to misogyny?

Idiots are everywhere, no need to take seriously every single claim by people, especially like this.

Because it costs moar and money is evil.

Zaventem

Concept art is ridiculously good. Please let Obsidan have some of that. Bar the only released screenshot, everything artistic from PE looked like utter dogshit so far.

Good concept art doesn't always make for a good looking game.I can count on both hands how many awesome looking concept artworks we've seen this gen but failed to deliver.I would say concept art can be as deceitful as CGI.

O.DOGG

I wasn't going to pledge but after watching the pitch video I couldn't help it. Even though I don't believe this project can reach original Torment level of greatness, it still sounds appealing as hell.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
In other news Shadowrun team will release a gameplay video this friday. I didn't back it but it looks fantastic now and I regret it.

Vaporak

Well, Planescape Torment I consider to be one of my favorite games, so it's about time I do this kickstarted thing. I'm in for 45 for this and Wasteland 2.

inm8num2

No kidding. Each project I've supported has at least a couple irrational backer responses to certain updates. For example, the Dreamfall: Chapters supporters complaining about the Zoe model or even her nose ring. Her nose ring.
How do you get from "you can play as a male or female, with your gender having an effect on your interactions with NPCs" to misogyny?

What exactly are people arguing? That being a female character shouldn't lead to different interactions with NPCs? Or something else?

Either way it's inevitable. You get 30k highly enthusiastic backers and you're bound to have various reactions to these updates.

Eusis

I didn't back it either, but I don't regret it. I'll just buy it when it comes out. :D
That's been my thought at that time: prove it's worth it, and I'll buy it.

I trust Obsidian enough for Project Eternity though, and the others I've backed... ah hell, let's run with this.

mclem

Good moorning everyone ! Europe is waking up from slumber.

1,560,000 already. Damn
Slow overnight - for, well, obvious reasons - but as Europe wakes up it's picked up serious steam. It's not 100k/hr any more, but it's still comfortably five figures/hr.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I had the last $250 package in my cart. I couldn't go through with it though.

I picked up the $45 tier with Torment and Wasteland 2.

Top Bottom