• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

FACE

Banned
I don't think they'll make 200% in one day. Still, pretty amazing so far. They would have hit 200% easy if they had PayPal donations at launch, as I'm fairly sure there are at least 100k worth of backers waiting to use PayPal.

I don't think they can have Paypal at launch, actually.

Kayhan

The most important thing is reaching the amount (whatever that turns out to be) they deem necessary to do the 2D backgrounds (3D renders with handpainting in Photoshop) for the game.

I can't wait to see what a modern game like this will look like in that style.

mclem

so it's going to be any time now right?

They're scrabbling to get it arranged, they thought they'd have longer:

A couple other notes: First, it may be a while before we update the main Kickstarter page to reflect the content of this (and upcoming updates). You see, while finalizing our Kickstarter page, we reached the character limit allowed for a Kickstarter page (see below). So we are going to have to reorganize some of the content on our page to allow us to add new information. It might be a bit before we get to that, so please excuse any outdated content.

Second, we know that some would like to pledge through Pay Pal. Fortunately, our masterful developer Joby Bednar had already constructed the foundation necessary through our Wasteland 2 campaign. Unfortunately, we had some additional work to do for it and weren't expecting it to be necessary quite so soon. Joby, who also came in during the wee hours this morning to update our Torment website expects to have our Pay Pal store up tomorrow – we’re sorry for the delay.

Regarding the bolded: I can't help but feel that there's a delightful irony that this Kickstarter in particular is having problems owing to the sheer volume of text.

Perkel

Banned
Regarding the bolded: I can't help but feel that there's a delightful irony that this Kickstarter in particular is having problems owing to the sheer volume of text.

They posted this picture in update:

image-220630-full.jpg

mclem

Quibbling semantics, but it's not so much ironic as it is apropos.

Well, a major reason why people are interested in this project is also in turn causing them issues with fully articulating why people might want to back it. I think it's fair to call that ironic.

Well, a major reason why people are interested in this project is also in turn causing them issues with fully articulating why people might want to back it. I think it's fair to call that ironic.

At the risk of rerailing the thread, irony is a notable difference between what's expected and what happens. The creators of a text-heavy game making a text-heavy Kickstarter pitch is exactly what is expected, which is the opposite of irony.

This has been your pedantic public service announcement.

Durante

So the project gets +100000 from Fargo going from 1 to 2 million, and another 100000 from the "mystery fan" for going from 2 to 3 million. Pretty amazing.

I always knew PST fans were not just smart and attractive, but also rich and successful.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What? I'm not the mystery backer, sheesh! I mean that it's a hefty responsibility that they should take seriously on a personal level rather than it being strictly business.

mclem

But I've clicked some ads now! Clearly you need to step in with 10 cents on each dollar from 3M to 4M as a result.

duckroll

I'm totally convinced that the leads Fargo brought on for this are deeply committed on a personal level to deliver the best Torment spiritual successor they can. The only concern I guess is whether inXile has the talent to help them implement that vision in the best way possible.

I'm still pretty positive on Wasteland 2 though, so hopefully the final product is much better than the early gameplay footage they used to show off how things look at the moment.

Durante

It's a tragic story. He's going to have to end up selling NeoGAF to fund Torment 2 just to maintain his reputation after the rumors spread too far! >_<
So we'll get Torment without publisher interference, but in return we'll all be posting on nEAgaf.

Instro

Based on the average promise of $54, and a roughly estimated 68,000 backers by the end.

The will end with around $3,700,000.00. Which is pretty close the the 1.5-2x the amount that is earned in the first 2 days. A trend that a lot of other kick-starters show.

This bodes really well, If they really add some neat stretch goals I can see this passing over the amount PE garnered.
While I think this will be a little front loaded, you are probably underestimating the multiplier. All the notable game kick starters made well over 3x their first 24 hours. I would think something like 4.5mil is more likely.

Perkel

Banned
While I think this will be a little front loaded, you are probably underestimating the multiplier. All the notable game kick starters made well over 3x their first 24 hours. I would think something like 4.5mil is more likely.

As i said earlier:

If this kickstarter will go like any other kickstarter this will end up 6-8mln

Aselith

Just wanted to come in and thank Evilore for his generosity after hearing about this amazing $100000 pledge he made. Give the man a tag!

Top Bottom