• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Perkel

Banned
I'm sure Obisidian and especially Avellone are crying they never thought of resurrecting Torment this way.

They thought about it a lot. They had poll on their site what kickstarter they should do.
Their own game aka PE was 1st and Torment second.

Durante

Seems like kickstarter is working again. Just crossed 200%.

that's actually a bit surprising, comparing the kickstarter success of both now.
I don't think this will be much more successful than PE. Barring some very impactful stretch goal announcements of course.

Seems like kickstarter is working again. Just crossed 200%.

I don't think this will be much more successful than PE. Barring some very impactful stretch goal announcements of course.

hmm but it already was kinda more successful just comparing the amount of money raised in a specific time period. people just seem more hyped for some reason

Durante

hmm but it already was kinda more successful just comparing the amount of money raised in a specific time period. people just seem more hyped for some reason
Well yes, it had a far more successful start. That doesn't mean that the project will be far more successful overall.

And the reason people are more hyped is because Planescape: Torment is the best game of all time.

Well yes, it had a far more successful start. That doesn't mean that the project will be far more successful overall.

And the reason people are more hyped is because Planescape: Torment is the best game of all time.

I know.
yes but that's why it's surprising to me that people didn't vote for it in the first place, or at least not enough :D

FACE

Banned

If they do a good campaign I can see this ending at 4.5 million. They really should've picked a better time to start their campaign though.

injurai

Banned
Oh my god STRETCH GOALS!!!!!

tumblr_lqyt81mXcv1ql141xo1_250.gif

Perkel

Banned
that's actually a bit surprising, comparing the kickstarter success of both now.

Not surprising at all imo. They have onboard legends. They have 3 dudes which created Planescape setting, they have Cook who partially designed 3E DnD and they have amazing amazing amazing art talent which shows in every concept art.

And Fargo is dude who creates currently best pitch videos. Fargo also introduced stretch goals and they still have their kickitforward program. They have Avellone blessing and other PST writter which co written with Avellone Torment.

And what is most important it is spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment

PE is new game in new world.

And I still agree with that result. I just wish Eternity wasn't so... safe.

I don't mind they did what they did. What is most important is lore and how world works.
Arcanum is victorian world with ogre and elf people. How is that exciting ?

Well we saw already Arcanum and it is one of the best worlds.

Lime

I know.
yes but that's why it's surprising to me that people didn't vote for it in the first place, or at least not enough :D

Maybe people are more familiar with Obsidian's recent output rather than their former legacy.

And your avatar is part of the explanation why this is so successful at the moment.

If they do a good campaign I can see this ending at 4.5 millions. They really should've picked a better time to start their campaign though.

Why is this not a good time to start the KS?

epmode

Arcanum is victorian world with ogre and elf people. How is that exciting ?

Is this a trick question? How is that NOT exciting?

Eternity will be good, I'm sure, but I really liked the way PS:T went out of its way to subvert RPGs in general.

Rubius

DAMN, wanted a physical collector edition. Both the 95, and 110$ level are gone. Now, is paying 135$ for a collector edition worth it, because most of this seem to be digital anyway.
-Game
-Manual
-Cloth Map and Digital
-Concept Art book and Digital
-Audio CD
-Name in credit.
Yeah, not worth 150$ for me sadly.

Will go with the 25$ version, since paying 77$ for a physical game... Its kinda Steep. 12$ of shipping for a DVD case? Really?

For comparison here the Wasteland 2 Collector edition who was not limited in numbers,
115$ with international shipping
-Game in Premium Box
-Manual
-Map
-Miniatures
-Faction Badge
-Name in Credit
-Wasteland Digital Novel
-Beta
-Exclusive Ranger Portraits

So 40$ more for less?

I'm totally convinced that the leads Fargo brought on for this are deeply committed on a personal level to deliver the best Torment spiritual successor they can. The only concern I guess is whether inXile has the talent to help them implement that vision in the best way possible.

I'm still pretty positive on Wasteland 2 though, so hopefully the final product is much better than the early gameplay footage they used to show off how things look at the moment.

I'm hoping so as well; I wasn't incredibly impressed with the early footage, but it is just that.

This project has much more compelling concept art than WL2, to me. I also hope they have the talent to really make this a top-notch entry.

DAMN, wanted a physical collector edition. Both the 95, and 110$ level are gone. Now, is paying 153$ for a collector edition worth it, because most of this seem to be digital anyway.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the physical 125 and 135 tiers are the same exact thing as the $95 and $110 tiers.

Edit, rereading your post I guess you may have meant 135 when you said 153.

Do think it is odd that they have multiple tiers of the same things, just higher prices later on, but this is the only thing I've backed on kickstarter so don't know if that is the normal thing to promote getting in early.

GlassBox

Banned
Lol, so they could exceed all their current stretch goals by the end of today conceivably. I hope they've got more planned.

Also, I've noticed a tiny bit of fluctuation in the tiers, in terms of slots opening up on the limited offered ones. So there is still movement of people either withdrawing or changing tiers, so if one were to monitor things carefully, they might be able to sneak into one that's currently full should someone leave/change.

Zeliard

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the physical 125 and 135 tiers are the same exact thing as the $95 and $110 tiers.

Indeed. The $95/110/125/135 physical tiers are identical. The first three are limited early bird specials, and $135 is the permanent price for that tier.

Kayhan

So is this a 3D rendered game like WL2 or is it going classic 2D renders like Project Eternity?

If they get enough money it will be 2D renders (3D plus hand painting) like PE.

I am expecting it to be announced as one of the major stretch goals.

GlassBox

Banned
Given the overwhelming support thus far. 2D could be a 4 million stretch goal and it is extremely likely it would be met. So yeah, likely a 2D game, if they are serious about it simply being a case of money.

Lol, so they could exceed all their current stretch goals by the end of today conceivably. I hope they've got more planned.

Also, I've noticed a tiny bit of fluctuation in the tiers, in terms of slots opening up on the limited offered ones. So there is still movement of people either withdrawing or changing tiers, so if one were to monitor things carefully, they might be able to sneak into one that's currently full should someone leave/change.

Will be sure to warn people here beforehand if I choose to bump up my $110 to the 275 one so someone can pick up the free slot. Been fighting it off even though I want the physical books. Would love the large cloth map but $500 is a bit too high for me.

Lime

Given the overwhelming support thus far. 2D could be a 4 million stretch goal and it is extremely likely it would be met. So yeah, likely a 2D game, if they are serious about it simply being a case of money.

I know that Unity can be used for pre-rendering 2D backgrounds with 3D characters situated in them, but I think InXile's experience and skills with the engine from Wasteland 2 will make it more likely to be a 3D game.

I hope they open some new slots of the collectors edition tier. BrotherNone are you reading? hehe

Doubt that will happen. Just got to be happy with paying a little extra for the 125 and 135 tiers to get it now, or camp the thing and hope you notice someone drop theirs.

Lime

A guy who would know a bit about this already posted in this thread on the topic. 2D is possible but only with enough money.

True, I forgot the post.

Would love to, and it's doable. Obsidian is using Unity for PE and they're doing great work adapting it to 2D's unique needs, I'm sure they won't mind if we "borrow" some of their notes. :p

That said, it's a significant cost and time investment, 2D of that specific painterly style is more expensive to produce than 3D. Our first goal is to look at 3D emulating a painterly style, with an isometric camera. As funding goes up, we'll look at solidifying towards 2D, perhaps as a stretch goal (it'd be a pretty high stretch goal though).

injurai

Banned
Currently 3d, with a possible very high stretch goal later being 2d. Source is a few pages back in this thread.

If they get enough money it will be 2D renders (3D plus hand painting) like PE.

I am expecting it to be announced as one of the major stretch goals.

It being 2D would be the most amazing thing ever. It's the one thing missing to bring this up to PE level hype for me.

Granted I am loving PS:T, but why all the hype for 2D? Nostalgia?

At the specs they're likely to target, I'd say focusing on 2D over 3D is always better for ease of viewing and reading (it's gonna have lots to read on-screen) as well as easier on the host device when it comes to going for best possible image quality. Either way, they had better prioritize legibility/readability for constant and long passages of text in both WL2 and T: ToN.

At the specs they're likely to target, I'd say focusing on 2D over 3D is always better for ease of viewing and reading (it's gonna have lots to read on-screen) as well as easier on the host device when it comes to going for best possible image quality. Either way, they had better prioritize legibility/readability for constant and long passages of text in both WL2 and T: ToN.

it didn't look too bad in WL2 imo

JDSN

Banned
I understand that story will be a fundamental part of this game, but I would rather their first strech goals would focus on getting people outside of InXile capable of making a proper game.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
I am so excited for this. But sort of torn...Torment without MCA seems weird. On the other hand, the art and story description is so much more up my alley than what they've shown of Project Eternity (and I backed that for over $100).

I also backed Wasteland 2, and yeah, the gameplay video didn't exactly scream evocative or interesting...should I even think twice about this?

it didn't look too bad in WL2 imo

Well, that was an early rough cut/mock-up of the final game, I'm sure. Looking at some video of text for ten minutes isn't the same as staring at the screen for hours, reading multiple big paragraphs of descriptive prose and punctuation-heavy dialogue.

...should I even think twice about this?

No. Back it at the minimum for an eventual good time.

injurai

Banned
Granted I am loving PS:T, but why all the hype for 2D? Nostalgia?

I think for these sorts of games you can deeper and more realistic set pieces, plus it allows for the mind to wander more with the environments. Scanning over all the hidden detail in every pixel.

I also feel it gives a better platform to convey a story heavy experience. The text renders easier on the eyes, and it just feels extremely lore heavy.

3D unless extremely resource intensive will look too cartoony. Even shadow run (despite looking great) feels a bit too cartoony for my tastes. Though I think it works for that game. WL2 is looking good actually, but I would like to see Torment in particular in 2D.

Especially after seeing that demo render for PE it just seems the ideal way to go.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Backed.

I wonder how the lack of Avellone's voice will effect the writing, although given that the characters and setting will be new will soften that a bit...can't imagine Morte or Annah or Dak'kon written by someone else.

I just hope the same attention to fine detail when it comes to character description and the way that you can spend hours just lost in conversation with npcs will carry over.

Well, that was an early rough cut/mock-up of the final game, I'm sure. Looking at some video of text for ten minutes isn't the same as staring at the screen for hours, reading multiple big paragraphs of descriptive prose and punctuation-heavy dialogue.

you're right. I'm just suggesting that there's a chance it might actually work out, when handled correctly

I remember when a simaler debate over 2D vs 3D came up in the Wasteland 2 thread as well. I haven't played Planescape Torment, but everything I've seen of it showed that the game used pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds. Whichever direction they go in will still require them to model and texture everything from polygons, though with pre-rendered BG's they could get away with a lot more details in the landscape, but it would probably require some extra artists to clean up everything for tiling. Going with real time does make more sense these days economically, but it would be cool to see this one go 2D.

I honestly think that high quality pre-rendered backgrounds with polygon character models might be the best way to go. I just don't see many benefits with using pre-rendered sprites over models these days. You can make real time polygon models look just as good, and they are much more flexible with visual customizations (different armour sets) and easier to animate without using tons of sprite frame data.

And dear god... $1,862,209 in less than two days. Brian Fargo had the Midas touch when it comes to starting Kickstarter projects, I almost get this feeling that inXile entertainment could quickly become one of the new big name developers for old school RPG's if this and Wasteland 2 pan out well.

I also like the huge emphasis on good concept art. It's great to see Fargo hire some high quality concept artists for this and Wasteland 2. Both games definitely need artbooks for them.

I remember when a simaler debate over 2D vs 3D came up in the Wasteland 2 thread as well. I haven't played Planescape Torment, but everything I've seen of it showed that the game used pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds. Whichever direction they go in will still require them to model and texture everything from polygons, though with pre-rendered BG's they could get away with a lot more details in the landscape, but it would probably require some extra artists to clean up everything for tiling. Going with real time does make more sense these days economically, but it would be cool to see this one go 2D.

I honestly think that high quality pre-rendered backgrounds with polygon character models might be the best way to go. I just don't see many benefits with using pre-rendered sprites over models these days. You can make real time polygon models look just as good, and they are much more flexible with visual customizations (different armour sets) and easier to animate without using tons of sprite frame data.

And dear god... $1,862,209 in less than two days. Brian Fargo had the Midas touch when it comes to starting Kickstarter projects, I almost get this feeling that inXile entertainment could quickly become one of the new big name developers for old school RPG's if this and Wasteland 2 pan out well.

I also like the huge emphasis on good concept art. It's great to see Fargo hire some high quality concept artists for this and Wasteland 2. Both games definitely need artbooks for them.

I have dreams about this sometimes.

injurai

Banned

Yeah. Hopefully they and Obsidian will usher in a new era. Perhaps they will be able to self-fund after a few more successful projects.

Top Bottom