• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Ushae

Banned
Man these kick starters are bringing back my days of youth and experiencing baldurs gate and torment for the first time.

Is it even possible for them bring those experiences back with a modern reimagining?

FACE

Banned
1.99, actually

With Torment, if we reach the $900,000 goal but fall short of a million, Brian will personally fund the remaining amount to reach $1 million total for development. If funding beats $1 million, he will instead contribute 10 cents from every $1 pledged from the $1 million to $2 million mark.

T: ToN should kinda join forces with Project Eternity people when it comes to developing the engine.
I mean, they are both iso-RPG 2D rendered background, 3D characters/objects-style games. Would save a lot of resources, which could be spent on more fun things.

No need to reinvent the wheel twice imho.

DiscoJer

Man these kick starters are bringing back my days of youth and experiencing baldurs gate and torment for the first time.

Is it even possible for them bring those experiences back with a modern reimagining?

Those games really aren't that old. Less than 15 years. I guess in console generations it's a big jump, but for PC games, not so much.

injurai

Banned
T: ToN should kinda join forces with Project Eternity people when it comes to developing the engine.
I mean, they are both iso-RPG 2D rendered background, 3D characters/objects-style games. Would save a lot of resources, which could be spent on more fun things.

No need to reinvent the wheel twice imho.

IF they go with 2D renders, then this is what they will be doing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Update said:
Castoff's Labyrinth

We’ll also be adding the Castoff’s Labyrinth, an area that will play into our treatment of death in Torment at $2.5M. Expanding upon this “labyrinth of the mind” will also serve as an ongoing Stretch Goal for us from this point on. We’ll be providing more detail about this area, and Death Mechanics soon, but here’s a piece that Colin wrote describing it:

"Death is the end. That's what they say. But that's not entirely true, is it? When Death crashes over you like a looming wave, you don't die. Your body knits up fast and your eyes stare off. You move and twitch. So what is it you're seeing? Where do you go when you die?"

When you open your eyes, you're in a chamber with four... no, six... make it five walls. Call it five. It's almost definitely five walls. Each of them has a door of different material, each of them wavers before you, but they become more distinct the closer you approach. The chamber is dark and dripping, a faint tremor like a slow pulse shaking the floor on a long timeline. You put your hand to the door and it opens for you, and before you lies a crumbling stone walkway over fathomless mists. You can see no roof above you, nor stars nor moon. The mists curl and lap at your feet, broken occasionally by stray eddies of wind.

There is a feeling of recognition deep inside you. You know this place. And ahead, across the span, you see a familiar face.

"What are you doing here?" you ask

"You're dead," she says. "What I mean is that you're not dead. You're coming back to life. And now you've got fragments of us in your head. Every time you take our suffering, we get stronger. In here, I mean. But if you want to come back to the world, you need to find your way out of here."

This feels too derivative of Torment, honestly. Especially considering we're in a new universe for this game.

Update 3 is up. Named areas, adding another companion, more writers, more novellas are all in stretch goals, including George Ziets, McComb dev commentary on PS:T and McComb apologizing for the book of elves

EDIT: oh woops, didn't see someone posted it. Sorry.

Beckx

LOL. The new "Colin's Apology" goal is excellent. And the Labyrinth goal is very cool, reminiscent of the Lady's Mazes from Planescape.

GlassBox

Banned
We’ve received requests for a little more detail in terms of how we’ll be expanding the game as we surpass various Stretch Goals, so we want to further define the impact of adding these writers by noting that a new area, the Crystal Dimension, will also be added to the game due to reaching this milestone. Here’s a brief description:

In strange and distant worlds, life flickers toward awareness even amid the most brutal landscapes. For instance: massive mountains of crystal heave from the land and pierce the sky under pale suns, their light refracting and bending around cunning spires never touched by human hands. The infants of this land are giants, vaguely humanoid crystalline monsters torn from the land itself and given shape and purpose by the elders, who share the light and heat from their ever-diminishing bodies, chipped and worn by age.
I just love the creativity and inspiration they're striving for here.

duckroll

I really feel they dropped the ball entirely in terms of presenting the gender option Stretch Goal. It was the first goal, and they should have known that it would be hit almost instantly. While they did say that they really, really wanted the feature it, it would probably have looked a lot better for the campaign if they set it at a much higher goal and talked more about it as time went by. It's a really significant addition to a game like this, and would require a ton of extra writing and different NPC reactions, etc. Hopefully it also means there are unique events for either gender. They could really have played up the feature and it would be much more attractive than just about any of the current Stretch Goals imo.

We’ve received requests for a little more detail in terms of how we’ll be expanding the game as we surpass various Stretch Goals, so we want to further define the impact of adding these writers by noting that a new area, the Crystal Dimension, will also be added to the game due to reaching this milestone. Here’s a brief description:

In strange and distant worlds, life flickers toward awareness even amid the most brutal landscapes. For instance: massive mountains of crystal heave from the land and pierce the sky under pale suns, their light refracting and bending around cunning spires never touched by human hands. The infants of this land are giants, vaguely humanoid crystalline monsters torn from the land itself and given shape and purpose by the elders, who share the light and heat from their ever-diminishing bodies, chipped and worn by age.

I just love the creativity and inspiration they're striving for here.

hhVL5oR.jpg

as for the similarities to P:T..of course it's going to tackle some of the same themes, that's the point. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. the new setting will do its part

Perkel

Banned
I kinda felt that way too.

The whole "You're hunted by an Angel of Death"-bit is very Torment-esque.

and Torment in title is more or less like Torment.
jokes aside this Angel of Death stuff rubs me wrong way. I hope they won't copy more of PST beside main city being direct copy of torment city (multidimensional)

FACE

Banned
Ziets!

We are thrilled to announce that George will be joining Torment as a writer at this Stretch Goal. This is a personally meaningful addition to me. You may know George from his role as Creative Lead on Mask of the Betrayer, where he led the story and character design for the game. Working on that game was one of the highlights of my career and I have George to thank for much of that. His creative aesthetics are perfect for the themes we are exploring in Torment and I’m very much looking forward to collaborating with George again.

Fuck yeah!

Edit: LOL!

Colin's Apology (Part 1)

Last, but most certainly not least: Upon reaching $2.5m, we will send out a special video from Colin. Those of you familiar with Colin’s very early work may recall that he wrote the Complete Book of Elves for 2nd Edition AD&D. You AD&D players may remember how dreadful this work was, making elves so incredibly powerful and unbalanced that all of our AD&D games were henceforth ruined until 3rd Edition D&D came to save us. (This is a slight overstatement. We could just pretend the book never existed, after all. That’s what I did…) Fortunately, Colin wrote that over 20 years ago and he’s learned much since then. =) Plus he’s the creative guy on Torment and Adam and I aren’t going to let him get too close to the gameplay systems. Just kidding. (Mostly. ;) )

But we’ve always felt that he owes us for polluting our campaigns with his bizarre passion for elves. Thankfully, Colin seems to have gotten through his elf-fetish years. But his penance isn’t yet complete. He has apologized before, but somehow I find it lacking. I don't know about you, but I want to see him say it. So as part of our update celebrating this Stretch Goal, Colin will apologize publicly for this sin of his youth through a special video.

Durante

At least Ziets is still in the range of goals that will definitely be reached. That makes me happy, I think he can contribute a lot to the game.

wrowa

This feels too derivative of Torment, honestly. Especially considering we're in a new universe for this game.

Well, it is Torment. Torment wouldn't be Torment without it.

The nice thing: considering it's a stretch goal, it's likely not a key part of the game but mostly done as a homage to the original game. I think that's a pretty great way to handle it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Strongly disagree. Torment already exists. We have here a new universe, new characters, new story. No need to recycle specific ideas so straightforwardly. The continuation here is a thematic one.

Kurtofan

The nice thing: considering it's a stretch goal, it's likely not a key part of the game but mostly done as a homage to the original game. I think that's a pretty great way to handle it.

Yeah exactly, nothing wrong with an homage.

Strongly disagree. Torment already exists. We have here a new universe, new characters, new story. No need to recycle specific ideas so straightforwardly. The continuation here is a thematic one.

I don't see anything wrong with all that.
new setting+characters+story = new game experience
if they handle previous themes of P:T at the same time (and that's actually what they should do imo) it's going to feel like a natural progression and extension, not a copy or rehash.

Zukuu

Banned
I pledged 45$ to get me Wasteland 2 as well, now that they have a PayPal option.

I love kickstarter (tho, shame that they don't accept anything outside of america...). It's quite ingenious.

Tho, I have not received anything from any of my other pledges yet, since they all have yet to finish. Hope we don't get a disappointment/scam soon, so the hype fades.
THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN DYING HYPE!

Anto

Neo Member
Yeah exactly, nothing wrong with an homage.

If it's handled in this way without being a major focus of the story/gameplay as it is in PS:T, I think I would be OK with it. If it is once again an integral part of the narrative... ehh. That would feel too much like a rehash of the same concept.

I'm all for new game, new concepts, old feel.

I'm oddly enough moreso looking forward to when they reign in these 500k'ish stretch goals after this initial rush and hopefully start crashing after various nifty more incremental morsels----I see these more as setting the table, the smaller targets as the courses of dishes, and I guess they can go nuts again right at the end rush and have the table wind up in a boat on fire in a lake.

Purkake4

Banned
and Torment in title is more or less like Torment.
jokes aside this Angel of Death stuff rubs me wrong way. I hope they won't copy more of PST beside main city being direct copy of torment city (multidimensional)
Hey now, no need to demote Sigil into "torment city", the parts featured in PST are little more than a fraction of what Sigil holds in the campaign setting(and the sourcebook).

Oh and the death labyrinth reminds me of Prey.

DTKT

Btw, is "voice acting" for every dialogue a given? I feel that would be a desirable stretch goal if not.

Not only is it incredibly expensive, it limits the quantity and the quality of the dialogue you can have.

I'd be fine with some minor voice acting for the really important stuff and character introduction, but text should be the core of the game.

Btw, is "voice acting" for every dialogue a given? I feel that would be a desirable stretch goal if not.

I'm sure VO will be a stretch goal, but not for everyone. VO is super expensive. And for a project like this?

Even having a female PC VO caused a shitstorm in the comments section.

Lime

I really feel they dropped the ball entirely in terms of presenting the gender option Stretch Goal. It was the first goal, and they should have known that it would be hit almost instantly. While they did say that they really, really wanted the feature it, it would probably have looked a lot better for the campaign if they set it at a much higher goal and talked more about it as time went by. It's a really significant addition to a game like this, and would require a ton of extra writing and different NPC reactions, etc. Hopefully it also means there are unique events for either gender. They could really have played up the feature and it would be much more attractive than just about any of the current Stretch Goals imo.

I completely agree, although I think they had no idea that the Kickstarter would be this fast.

Top Bottom