• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

I keep lollygagging on backing this project and all the tiers I wanted to get in on are gone.
In for $75. Was going to go physical but all the good tiers are gone. I wanted that concept art book.

Zukuu

Banned
Not only is it incredibly expensive, it limits the quantity and the quality of the dialogue you can have.

I'd be fine with some minor voice acting for the really important stuff and character introduction, but text should be the core of the game.
I feel for pc/party characters it should be feasible as stretch goal.

GlassBox

Banned
If they have to use VA or want to, I'd hope they try and find voices outside of the usual suspects. (Troy Baker, Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, etc.), though these guys are located in Newport Beach so they may be more inclined to use the local "Hollywood" talent.

Try UK voices like Xenoblade, added a unique flair to the dialogue.

DTKT

I feel for pc/party characters it should be feasible as stretch goal.

I'd be really disappointed if I could only hear my PC talk. It would be super weird to have conversations where you are the only one with a voice.

Silent PC please.

Corto

When we reach 2.5 millions I will be measuring that gameplay very carefully and if it's not exactly at the 150% increase I'll start an internet ruckus! Just warning you Fargo! I've got a twitter account with over 2 dozen followers. Try me!

If they have to use VA or want to, I'd hope they try and find voices outside of the usual suspects. (Troy Baker, Nolan North, Jennifer Hale, etc.), though these guys are located in Newport Beach so they may be more inclined to use the local "Hollywood" talent.

Try UK voices like Xenoblade, added a unique flair to the dialogue.

I don't think it is a good idea to try to get your hopes up for much voice work.

Durante

Regarding VA, I'd want some important dialogue parts with each party member to be voiced. Maybe a select few other NPCs as well. Enough to add some character, but not to the extent that it would limit reactivity or be a huge financial drain.

duckroll

Regarding VA, I'd want some important dialogue parts with each party member to be voiced. Maybe a select few other NPCs as well. Enough to add some character, but not to the extent that it would limit reactivity or be a huge financial drain.

I would like it if they found the budget and resources to do short introduction cutscenes the first time you encounter each major NPC (specifically potential party members), complete with voice. That would go a long way in setting a very specific tone for that character in the player's mind, and help develop the flavor in the character's dialogue for the rest of the game even if there is no other voiced bits.

Lime

This is a good suggestion in regards to balancing VA costs and the important effect it can have on the experience.

Zukuu

Banned
I'd be really disappointed if I could only hear my PC talk. It would be super weird to have conversations where you are the only one with a voice.

Silent PC please.

You could always disable the voice. :3

I'd wish for at least voiced party dialogue and main story dialogue.

Preferences I guess.

Basically, what they had in Planescape: Torment.

All I want from this game is a decent combat system.
If they manage to keep everything else at PS:T standards, it'll be the GOTY for sure.

Alternative VA line:

"I feel stronger."

Silent PC please.

I feel like the way BG/Torment 1 approached it was pretty reasonable. You had PC selection and reaction phrases, some environmental/intra-party banter, some recycled banter for commoners to play over whatever unique texts they might have (some of it pretty memorable too, "MOYYYY 'OTEL'S AS CLEAN AS AN ELVEN ARSE"), and maybe a little extra every once in a while for major NPC'S and important conversations. Not voicing every line of dialogue, but enough to give the in-game characters a bit more life and personality. They also allowed for silent protagonists, so it still allowed the player to project themselves on their in-game avatar for immersion.

Zeliard

Strongly disagree. Torment already exists. We have here a new universe, new characters, new story. No need to recycle specific ideas so straightforwardly. The continuation here is a thematic one.

I think that bit is mostly a thematic relationship to Torment. The closest analogue to it in Torment would be maybe something like the sensorium, but we're also unsure of what the function of this "labyrinth" is.

We already knew from the game's opening pitch that it features a protagonist who in some fashion a) cheats death, and b) is being hunted, so I expect those two elements to be critical throughout the game's story.

I definitely hope they don't just blindly ape Torment, but I'm not getting that sense just yet. So far they seem to have just borrowed some of the more broad philosophical elements.

GlassBox

Banned
I would like it if they found the budget and resources to do short introduction cutscenes the first time you encounter each major NPC (specifically potential party members), complete with voice. That would go a long way in setting a very specific tone for that character in the player's mind, and help develop the flavor in the character's dialogue for the rest of the game even if there is no other voiced bits.
I like this. Sets the tone of each character and you would only need a paragraph or so of a VA's time. Cost effective and plain effective in one.

But then again, I don't think The Transcendent One would be half as memorable as he was without Tony Jay's (RIP) voice.

Looking forward to this. The original Planescape had some of the best writing in a video game i've played. I played it back in 2008.

OT but this is my first post on Neogaf. YAY!

I think that bit is mostly a thematic relationship to Torment. The closest analogue to it in Torment would be maybe something like the sensorium, but we're also unsure of what the function of this "labyrinth" is.

We already knew from the game's opening pitch that it features a protagonist that in some fashion a) cheats death, and b) is being hunted, so I expect those two elements to be critical throughout the game's story.

I definitely hope they don't just blindly ape Torment, but I'm not getting that sense just yet. So far they seem to have just borrowed some of the more broad philosophical elements.

exactly

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So I've never played anything by these guys, but I'm thinking of doing the $45 for both games. Would I be too lost?

In terms of story? i wouldnt think so. i doubt Wasteland 2 is going to rely on too much on knowledge of the prior game. Torment Tides is more of a spiritual successor with similar thematic elements. Thats not to say dont play the games that inspired the Kickstarter sequels.. especially Planescape: Torment. Its on Gog.com for a decent price.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In terms of story? i wouldnt think so. i doubt Wasteland 2 is going to rely on too much on knowledge of the prior game. Torment Tides is more of a spiritual successor with similar thematic elements. Thats not to say dont play the games that inspired the Kickstarter sequels.. especially Planescape: Torment. Its on Gog.com for a decent price.

Cool. Any chance either of the first games are on Mac? :p

I backed this for $45. Awesome deal to get both games on Mac for that.

but not brian afaik? :O

Not Brian, but me, a lowly line producer, haha. He doesn't really have the time frequent forums. Hell, right now I barely have the time for it, we're seriously swamped, but I free up some time to check on feedback, yeah, it's a great way to get a feel for focus of updates and stretch goals and even on design (tho it's early for that).

InXile has been pretty good at getting talented people on their projects.

Yeah, Brian's got an incredible nose for talent. Probably his greatest asset, from Interplay to now.

Btw, is "voice acting" for every dialogue a given? I feel that would be a desirable stretch goal if not.

We're not going to do full voice acting. It's both too expensive to do and restricts your flexibility with dialog reactivity and later polishing. We might do a type of partial VO, kind of like PS:T did, but we'll talk more about that later.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah, Brian's got an incredible nose for talent. Probably his greatest asset, from Interplay to now.

This is his mutant power. i dont know how Interplay secured the talent it did (especially on the quality voice talent.. Interplays titles are still unmatched to this day in terms of professional voice work in the games industry imo). It has to be a pact with the devil its so good.

This is his mutant power. i dont know how Interplay secured the talent it did (especially on the quality voice talent.. Interplays titles are still unmatched to this day in terms of professional voice work in the games industry imo). It has to be a pact with the devil its so good.

A lot of credit for the voice talent picking and usage should go to Chris Borders, who was the VA director on many of Interplay's titles and runs his own VA company now. He's really, really good.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just reading some of the descriptions for the locations makes me really want a 2d graphic style. Of course id be fine with 3d also if they were somehow able to achieve the unique details and such but that is incredibly difficult to do with 3d. I think Wasteland 2 looks pretty good with its 3d but something about fantasy games seems like they benefit more from the 2d. They need to mock-up an awesome image of a location with paintovers and then make it like an uber stretch goal that might be reachable. Should announce it early on so it can pick up awareness. If its an enticing image the internets must reach it.

Instro

Sort of like a "Meet the" TF2 type video, albeit on a smaller scale.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sort of like a "Meet the" TF2 type video, albeit on a smaller scale.

Final Fantasy games also always had an intro CG scene of the character doing something quirky. Granted they had cg everywhere but i can see it being effective to imagine how that character would act. Its mostly just to let the imagination run with small details and oddities about a character.

Maybe animated portraits or something.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
A lot of credit for the voice talent picking and usage should go to Chris Borders, who was the VA director on many of Interplay's titles and runs his own VA company now. He's really, really good.

Cool stuff. Thanks for the answer. i loved how the majority of Interplay voice actors werent there solely for celebrity status but for their ability and enthusiasm. Planecape in particular had some wtf-worthy moments when reading the credits. "Really? The same dude from Pretender?"

edit: almost at $2m. Going to get some dinner in celebration!

edit 2: i just wanted to say that i loved the bit about you guys desiring to make these kinds of games for the rest of your careers. i want to be in a nursing home, moaning with dementia, about the next awesome RPG to be announced lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
At current pace i suspect it will take like 5-7 days to reach 2.5 million unless the weekend is big. Those 500k separations are gonna hurt later on.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Not Brian, but me, a lowly line producer, haha. He doesn't really have the time frequent forums. Hell, right now I barely have the time for it, we're seriously swamped, but I free up some time to check on feedback, yeah, it's a great way to get a feel for focus of updates and stretch goals and even on design (tho it's early for that).
Ha, I thought you were Brian! There are a few high profile people in the industry who visit here.

It's just reassuring to know you're at least listening and understanding critique. Almost everything I've seen here has been constructive.

Llyranor

I upped the pledge from 20 to 275, then went back down to 35 D:

I might be tempted to go for the 50 if Ziets writes a novella.

Midou

I don't mind the wider stretch goals, getting a lot more out of them when they are finally hit. I bet the 2.5 million companion is Morte! :eek:

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I don't mind the wider stretch goals, getting a lot more out of them when they are finally hit. I bet the 2.5 million companion is Morte! :eek:
i dont mind because a lot of the stretch goals we are used to are incorporated in the base game. No Linux/Mac OS/localization stretch goals for example.

Top Bottom