• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

I dug up my old copy about half a year ago. I hadn't played it since it came out.

Installing all the mods took some time (and there were some annoying compatibility bugs), but overall it was a surprisingly modern experience.

Sure, the game obviously still had it's old quirks, but exploring Sigil is just as much fan now as it was a decade ago. It's actually kind of sad when you think about it, in all these years, no other game has touched that level of design brilliance (as far as I know). Skyrim's fetch quests are an embarrassment compared to the best of P:T.

what mods did you guys use? or which ones would you recommend?
I'm thinking of getting it again, too

ringlord

Dec 2014 is a long way off for pre-ordering a game.

Still, it's hard to sit on the sidelines and miss out on the commentary, updates, and bonuses that will be dished out between now and then for a game you're excited about.

Sober

I don't really see this. Planescape had massive potential for pretty much anything aesthetically -- to be fair, it seems that so does Numenera.
I just hope if there will be a Torment 3 they just set it elsewhere with a new character. I know the amnesiac angle is a bit overplayed but there's some charm to figuring out a new world at the same pace as your character.

Naito

I just realised that I would prefer to have a physical copy instead of going all digital for this one.

Bummer there aren't any spots left for the Oddity Collector - True Believer (95$) tier: my current pledge is 125$, Numenera Scholar - All Digital;
it doesn't look appealing to me to switch to the Oddity Collector 2 tier - it would cost me more overall and I would, arguably, have less in return.

duckroll

Seems like the frontloaded part of the campaign is more or less over. It has slowed down massively in the last 12 hours or so, with just about 100k in funding. It'll be interesting to see how much the next 12 hours gets since it should be prime time in bigger markets.

I just realised that I would prefer to have a physical copy instead of going all digital for this one.

Bummer there aren't any spots left for the Odditiy Collector - True Believer (95$) tier: my current pledge is 125$, Numenera Scholar - All Digital;
it doesn't look appealing to me to switch to the Oddity Collector 2 tier - it would cost me more overall and I would, arguably, have less in return.

What less do you get from going from the $125 digital to the $125 physical tier?

Eusis

I don't really see this. Planescape had massive potential for pretty much anything aesthetically -- to be fair, it seems that so does Numenera.
This interests me more, but yeah Planescape has loads of potential still. But then we've been unlucky with D&D settings for games lately, Eberron would probably make for a great Bioware/Obsidian style RPG, but the most we got was an MMO because Atari may be the worst license holder it's ever had.

Naito

What less do you get from going from the $125 digital to the $125 physical tier?

"Less" is different from person to person, but switching to the 125$ tier (Oddity Collector 2 - Physical goods) I would lose access to alpha and beta tests,
the Numenera core ebook and the opportunity to have my name on a tombstone (doesn't sound like an exciting thing to wish for...) ingame.
95$ would be appealing enough to me but I bet nobody in that tier is going to leave his or her spot.

Dec 2014 is a long way off for pre-ordering a game.

Still, it's hard to sit on the sidelines and miss out on the commentary, updates, and bonuses that will be dished out between now and then for a game you're excited about.

nukem.jpg
there are longer preorders ;)

LiK

"Less" is subjective from person to person, but switching to the 125$ tier (Oddity Collector 2 - Physical goods) I would lose access to alpha and beta tests,
the Numenera core ebook and the opportunity to have my name on a tombstone (doesn't sound like an exciting thing to wish for...) ingame.

i went for physical tier. really not interested in alphas and betas and my name on a tombstone.

lmpaler

Personally it's having a pretty game that you can run on anything. Aside from action-heavy stuff like The Witcher 2, RPGs are prime laptop territory for me.

Makes sense, one thing I noticed last night is how I can literally play PS:T with just the mouse. I was using the keyboard keys as well and then I just rested my hand under my chin and used the mouse only and I was quite impressed with it.

This is a due to I believe me being LTTP with PS:T and used to the decade or so of gaming that even with RPGs require more reflexes so I am always ready. Now I am more relaxed and enjoying the game more.

And I swear to god Morte is one of the funniest sidekicks I have had in a game besides Zoltan Chivay, and really Zoltan was here and there

injurai

Banned
Seems like the frontloaded part of the campaign is more or less over. It has slowed down massively in the last 12 hours or so, with just about 100k in funding. It'll be interesting to see how much the next 12 hours gets since it should be prime time in bigger markets.

I bet we will reach $4mil by the end.

Even more If we get some killer stretch goals.

FACE

Banned

Gaming kickstarters usually make most of their money on the first day and in the final week(specially if you're chris roberts), right?

Edit: Project Eternity also had a huge last day.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gaming kickstarters usually make most of their money on the first day and in the final week(specially if you're chris roberts), right?

More or less. It starts to taper off and slow significantly, but there's usually a big jump towards the end as well.

FACE

Banned
More or less. It starts to taper off and slow significantly, but there's usually a big jump towards the end as well.

I went to Kicktraq and reached the conclusion that Fargo should call Chris Roberts for advice :p

dailypledges.png

That doesn't even count the RSI website, I think they've made over a million on the last day there.

I don't believe in funding Kickstarters but I am very happy that this game is getting funded and it's at such a level that they are doing their stretch tiers by ridiculous $500,000 increments.

Naito

i went for physical tier. really not interested in alphas and betas and my name on a tombstone.

I wouldn't mind having the opportunity to test alpha and beta but I can understand being ok with playing the final, polished product.
I'm slowly convincing myself to switch to the physical goodies.

I'll keep a watchful eye on the 95$ tier.

sp3000

Star Citizen is a special case though since it's not like any other kickstarter. It was going to be an AAA game meant to compete with the big heavy hitters from publishers. Also meant to be very graphically focused unlike many kickstarter games.

Velinos

I'm hoping for a mega dungeon or something else that progressively gets bigger as a stretch goal. It was fun watching the mega dungeon keep getting bigger during the Project Eternity KS.

ghostmind

Between this, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar and Project Eternity, they keep pulling my emotional (nostalgia) strings.

All we need now are new Star Control and Freespace Kickstarters and they can have all my money.

injurai

Banned
I'm hoping for a mega dungeon or something else that progressively gets bigger as a stretch goal. It was fun watching the mega dungeon keep getting bigger during the Project Eternity KS.

Probably one of the major components that contributed to it''s success. That and getting the second big city.

I'm sure we will see some significant stretch goals pop up for the final stretch of the KS.

I could honestly never get past the first few hours of this game. I'm determined to rough it out this time tho. Whats the average play time?

Anywhere from 20-30 hours if you focus on the main story, to up to 50-60 hours if you want to do all the side quests (there is a particular area that probably took like 10-15 hours of my time :p).

volturnus

Banned
I went to Kicktraq and reached the conclusion that Fargo should call Chris Roberts for advice :p

dailypledges.png

That doesn't even count the RSI website, I think they've made over a million on the last day there.
They did more on the last day than in the first, which seems to way off the trend.

Project Eternity's 2nd day was 68,4% of the first, while Torment's 2nd was 34,7%.
The drop was bigger, but that's because the "response" to Torment was much faster. Eternity had unusually high 3rd and 4th days. Had it been pitched nowadays, its 2nd day would probably be a bit above the 3rd day it had, which was at 196k (~28% of the 1st day).
There is a trend in the last day for this kind of project which puts it usually at least 55% of the first day.
We're going to see an average of (at least)45k for each regular day from the 4th onwards, judging by previous projects.

Being (quite)pessimistic, we're looking at $4,096,464 minimum without paypal. I'd say $4.3 million+paypal, though.
Also, that's just me guessing, but there's a new factor this time around, Planescape: Torment fans backing a KS project for the first time.
I say it because the premise is very similar and the average pledge is $55, whereas Eternity's average was $54. People are paying roughly the same thing, but more of them seem to be doing so.
EDIT:
Numenara backers could also be interested in this, which is another potential factor.

nbthedude

I still can't forgive Obsidian for robbing us of an epic crotch level of the dungeon. What a cock tease (literally).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I managed to change my pledge to $20 since people keep changing theirs, yay.

I'm still worried about this and Wasteland 2 but still... They could be epic too...

These basic boxed copies are too much though...

If they ever got a retail publisher (which is very plausible past the initial release if they sell alright) those versions would be cheaper than the funder versions are which have at best been in parity with the average full priced title, it doesn't make sense.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hmm, Fargo on his twitter mentioned they are creating the 3 million stretch goal for more reactivity and such. Not sure im liking that direction. They need more mini-goals, and they need mention of a graphics stretch goal, or at least mention the style they are looking at.

More frequent mini goals keeps people refreshing the site which attracts attention which gets more posts which tempts people to up their pledges and rinse/repeat.

Zeliard

I agree. Not sure about going in $500k increments. It's slowed down too much for that and they need to keep the interest going.

GlassBox

Banned
I also agree that these 500K increments are a bit too much. They should hopefuly do a bit more to emulate Eternity's stretch goals and offer things that don't require that much investment. I fear the high increments might slow things down.

FACE

Banned
I agree. Not sure about going in $500k increments. It's slowed down too much for that and they need to keep the interest going.

Brother None said the stretch goals we have now are actually a bunch of smaller stretch goals mashed together.

Yes. We're combining a lot into single stretch goals right now, but we can work on the spacing and size once the Kickstarter starts slowing down.

duckroll

Yeah 500k increments are boring, and because of the large increment it's always this bundle of stuff which I feel waters everything down. There's less focus and it just feels like a bunch of random stuff. I definitely preferred how Project Eternity eventually narrowed down their long term stretch goals. It gave each goal individual spotlight, and a chance for them to detail them more.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I also agree that these 500K increments are a bit too much. They should hopefuly do a bit more to emulate Eternity's stretch goals and offer things that don't require that much investment. I fear the high increments might slow things down.

PE had four distinct things going for it that was incredibly simple but highly effective.

1) Illustrated roadmap, unlocking fantasy locations along the road at new goals.

2) The dungeon image that kept going deeper and was illustrated well enough to get the imagination going.

3) Not just focus on money but also facebook goals. I could care less about facebook but it was interesting to see another number rising.

4) When interest lowered they rolled out a pretty sweet looking game screen.

Most of these are simple to do but it served the purpose of getting someone to look at the page nearly every day to follow progress. It also got everyone posting on the GAF thread and threads on the internets. This campaign has been able to keep interest but it will fade in 3-5 days or so and they will need something. They hit a high bar early so they need a way to maximize the time now.

Edit: I'd also say though one great thing this campaign has is very well written and detailed descriptions of unlocking the locations. Maybe if they made a slight illustration of the place and standardized how they rolled them out people would anticipate the next one.

Durante

Everything is happening exactly like I predicted (explosive start, much quicker decline) so far, though this is one of the rare cases where I'd love to be wrong.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Everything is happening exactly like I predicted (explosive start, much quicker decline) so far, though this is one of the rare cases where I'd love to be wrong.

The decline isnt really quicker. The % drop is larger but thats just cause the first day was so high. PE still had slightly less numbers on its second and 3rd days then this one, and much less on the first day. (Actually backer count is much less but money intake is higher for this)

Its still following the trend of every other KS before it. Every day after this one should be in the 50-90k range until the last 3 days or so.

Top Bottom