• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Zukuu

Banned
Blue / Silver seems to emphasis my character and way of solving problems the most.
I'll see where I land tho - neutral seems the most interesting to me.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
2,3 million reached. My guess is that this will finish at ¤5 million with the right stretch goals at the end.

I know that they'll hit more stretch goals, and that the 100k donation from the superfan is going to help things get there, but they need smaller, more manageable stretch goals.

The lump 500k sums give the perception of being way far off/unreachable compared to something every 100k.

Granted, if this follows the kickstarter premise of hitting a huge flood at the end like all others, it's kind of early to be thinking that way, but breaking it down into smaller goals would have been better, imo.

Also hope they take some KS hints from Obsidian and start looking into stuff like Facebook or Twitter to keep the hype going strong.

Llyranor

It actually sounds like a pretty cool system. My only reservation is that I hate when there is too much stuff that I can miss. Conversations with the dead? Fuck yeah! But I hate to be giving up something equally as awesome because I don't have a ton of time to play through games multiple times.

That is the cost of choice & consequence. If you can do everything, join every faction - there is no cost, no real choice/consequence.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
That is the cost of choice & consequence. If you can do everything, join every faction - there is no cost, no real choice/consequence.

On the plus side playing again in 1-3 years means it could be an entirely different experience for you, like a whole brand new game :)

Labadal

I know that they'll hit more stretch goals, and that the 100k donation from the superfan is going to help things get there, but they need smaller, more manageable stretch goals.

The lump 500k sums give the perception of being way far off/unreachable compared to something every 100k.

Granted, if this follows the kickstarter premise of hitting a huge flood at the end like all others, it's kind of early to be thinking that way, but breaking it down into smaller goals would have been better, imo.

Also hope they take some KS hints from Obsidian and start looking into stuff like Facebook or Twitter to keep the hype going strong.

I'm not liking the way stretch goals are done either, but it seems to have payed off so far for them. I liked how Obsidian handled that, but who's to say this isn't a good way to handle stretch goals for InXile? It seems to have been going well. Having a stretch goal every $500k should have been done in the last stages of the campaign will help them though. People will want to pledge just to see it reached.

Blue / Silver seems to emphasis my character and way of solving problems the most.
I'll see where I land tho - neutral seems the most interesting to me.

I hope another stretch goal is even further reactivity, allowing for a primary, secondary, and tertiary tide.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm not liking the way stretch goals are done either, but it seems to have payed off so far for them. I liked how Obsidian handled that,

Seen this mentioned several times and I kinda have to agree, and do wonder how far they'd be (or were) spaced out if the initial success wasn't so overwhelming. I also believe stretch goals requiring over half the amount of the initial project funding should be something quite substantial. If they feel "worth" another half million dollars then fine.

~Kinggi~

Banned
When you think of it like that, over half the initial funding goal is a weird way of looking at the stretch goals. But we really dont know how big they will be. Many of the goals so far have been adding people and talent, no so much specific things. We cant quantify how much more story and quests something like a new writer or new tides/legacies will bring. Every kickstarter has this problem though. Its the responsibility of the people running it to make sure the extras are apparent enough in the final product.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I wonder how much funding it will take to get this to be 2D renders?

4m? 4.5m stretch goal?

They havent even mentioned it outside of the guy in this thread yet, so maybe they wont. I hope they do, and if they do i imagine it will be in the 4-4.5 range. Honestly i think it only benefits it. You get more control over the environments and making sure everything looks the best and most detailed it can. But it is more expensive.

Honestly though if you are making a game like Torment where you are one of the most dialog-heavy things out there and you are gonna be staring at these screens for 10 minutes at a time it seems worth it.

Zeliard

When you think of it like that, over half the initial funding goal is a weird way of looking at the stretch goals. But we really dont know how big they will be. Many of the goals so far have been adding people and talent, no so much specific things. We cant quantify how much more story and quests something like a new writer or new tides/legacies will bring. Every kickstarter has this problem though. Its the responsibility of the people running it to make sure the extras are apparent enough in the final product.

It's going to be impossible to quantify, especially because in many cases they've barely started on pre-production during the pledge drive as they are waiting on their final funding amount. There's no way to compare and contrast the difference the extra funding truly makes. When it comes to this, you've essentially got to trust that the developer is using the extra money to add meaningful content that may not have otherwise been there.

Miletius

I think they are promising more granular goals after 3M, but I could be reading the update wrong. With the smaller goals you feel like every day or two you are getting something new, which can help keep momentum going and keep you interested in the project. The backer total goals encouraged everybody to spread the word to your friends/family.

Of course they will need to announce exciting goals towards the end when they need to push the late bloomers to donate but in the meantime I hope we'll get some stuff that sustains interest.

This surprised me a lot and gave mixed feelings as Planescape Torment is one of the most special games i've ever played or to be exact its one of the most special things i have experienced. It basically changed the way i look at the world, see things, etc. I was very unhappy to hear that it will have a sequel or a spiritual successor. But still i am happy in a way too. I hope it turns out well. Like the Planescape Torment, i don't give a fuck about the gameplay, combat or such stuff. Just have the same awesome writing and i will be happy. I hope it turns out well.

Lime

This surprised me a lot and gave mixed feelings as Planescape Torment is one of the most special games i've ever played or to be exact its one of the most special things i have experienced. It basically changed the way i look at the world, see things, etc. I was very unhappy to hear that it will have a sequel or a spiritual successor. But still i am happy in a way too. I hope it turns out well. Like the Planescape Torment, i don't give a fuck about the gameplay, combat or such stuff. Just have the same awesome writing and i will be happy. I hope it turns out well.

Like I usually say when a cherished classic gets revived through a possible shitty and/or disappointing sequel: It won't ever diminish the status and your memory of the original game/album/film/book/comic. So even if this was turned into an always-online scripted shootbang fest with gratuitous tits 'n ass and pre-order DLC, you would still have Planescape: Torment.

Regarding the writing in Torment 2, here's a snippet from one of their examples:

In strange and distant worlds, life flickers toward awareness even amid the most brutal landscapes. For instance: massive mountains of crystal heave from the land and pierce the sky under pale suns, their light refracting and bending around cunning spires never touched by human hands. The infants of this land are giants, vaguely humanoid crystalline monsters torn from the land itself and given shape and purpose by the elders, who share the light and heat from their ever-diminishing bodies, chipped and worn by age.

Sounds pretty intriguing and the quality of writing is at least decent (good compared to the usual tripe we see/read/hear in games).

Zeliard

One of the most impressive things about Torment 1 was how coherent the writing was across the various writers, especially given the sheer amount of text. While Avellone did write a significant amount, there were several writers on the project, and yet it still ended up with a singular voice. Prior to reading about which writers were responsible for which areas and characters, I don't think I could have told you who worked on what.

Colin McComb is intimately familiar with Torment's descriptive prose and regional dialects, so he should be able to bring a similar style over pretty effectively.

Zukuu

Banned
They havent even mentioned it outside of the guy in this thread yet, so maybe they wont. I hope they do, and if they do i imagine it will be in the 4-4.5 range. Honestly i think it only benefits it. You get more control over the environments and making sure everything looks the best and most detailed it can. But it is more expensive.

Honestly though if you are making a game like Torment where you are one of the most dialog-heavy things out there and you are gonna be staring at these screens for 10 minutes at a time it seems worth it.

They marked that request for the stretch goal as "considered".
https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/192236-torment-kickstarter/filters/top

We'll see what will be the next stretch goal will be. Since it has been slowed down, they have also the chance to discuss things more thoroughly. Hoping the most for 2D Render and/or VA for companions. And my own request.

We'll see what will be the next stretch goal will be. Since it has been slowed down, they have also the chance to discuss things more thoroughly. Hoping the most for 2D Render and/or VA for companions. And my own request.

Fully voiced VA for companions is a bad idea.
Opiate made an extensive post on how VAs limits the amount of dialogues you can have in the PE thread, as you're unable to deviate from the recorded material (say if you want to add more lines) once recorded.

VA party banter and companions quips on the other hand, that I wouldn't mind seeing.

Zukuu

Banned
Fully voiced VA for companions is a bad idea.
Opiate made an extensive post on how VAs limits the amount of dialogues you can have in the PE thread, as you're unable to deviate from the recorded material (say if you want to add more lines) once recorded.

VA party banter and companions quips on the other hand, that I wouldn't mind seeing.

That is what I mean. Party banter. I don't care if they are voiced when they comment on something during a talk with a NPC or something. but while exploring, I think it would be dope to have they talk with each other. I loved that in ME. It helps me tremendously to connect with the party members.

That is what I mean. Party banter. I don't care if they are voiced when they comment on something during a talk with a NPC or something. but while exploring, I think it would be dope to have they talk with each other. I loved that in ME. It helps me tremendously to connect with the party members.

Yeah, there was some wonderful dialogue between Annah/Morte in Planescape: Torment.

meh, yeah that's kinda cool when it's going on in the background but the chances are pretty high that they will keep saying the same shit in a loop, like in dragon age e.g.
you can only voice a certain amount of stuff

meh, yeah that's kinda cool when it's going on in the background but the chances are pretty high that they will keep saying the same shit in a loop, like in dragon age e.g.
you on only voice a certain amount of stuff

I think that can be circumvented if they won't have to voice every single dialogue in the game.
You're opening up a lot of resources for a bunch of banter lines instead.

Much rather have 20 hours worth of audio banter in a 60 hour RPG game with no voiced dialogue, than an 10-12 hour voiced RPG with very limited dialogue.

I think that can be circumvented if they won't have to voice every single dialogue in the game.
You're opening up a lot of resources for a bunch of banter lines instead.

Much rather have 20 hours worth of audio banter in a 60 hour RPG game with no voiced dialogue, than an 10-12 hour voiced RPG with very limited dialogue.

yeah it's all about arranging the resources they got. this option could work

~Kinggi~

Banned

That sites pretty neat, didnt know it existed. But they sure are considering a lot. Lol. At least it is in the top 3 of considerations.

Eh, I don't really mean do everything or join every faction. I mean if these tides have a huge consequence on how you play through the game, I don't want to miss out on 2/3 of the content because I only have time to play it once. It is a rare game I beat twice. I can only think of one I've played through three times.

I guess I just mean like with Torment. Play through with a high wisdom and you get the most out of the game, at least in my opinion. You have the most options in how to resolve everything. I don't mean I want to be able to talk my way out of a fight, and then fight the guy anyways because I want to do everything in one go. I want to be able to have the options of seeing most of the game in a single play through, and maybe the ability to reload and make a different choice at select points just to see what I missed.

Stuff like different items/different bonuses for different legacies I'm totally on board with, though.

oh please don't draw this comparison
there is going to be nothing ME3-like about this game, NOTHING

At worst, at the absolute worst, we're getting 5 endings based on each one of the tides.
Hopefully we can since it's not going to be an AAA THRILLING VISCERAL MOVIE EXPERIENCE that's reliant on cutscenes get a lot more ending variations than that.

I am totally Blue & Silver.

Durante

Can I max out my Blue, Gold, Indigo, Silver and Red bars? Otherwise the game sucks compared to Mass Effect. Because Shepard can be a totally renegade paragon.

At worst, at the absolute worst, we're getting 5 endings based on each one of the tides.
Hopefully we can since it's not going to be an AAA THRILLING VISCERAL MOVIE EXPERIENCE that's reliant on cutscenes get a lot more ending variations than that.

uuh that's a combination I'd never take. NEVER. I just couldn't

You have a bright future as a Bioware employee.

give money to beggar, look like this
3zo0L9n.jpg

blow up bus full of nuns, look like this
image.php

Zukuu

Banned

There are at least 6 - since "neutral" counts as well.

With the new stretch goal we have 11 pairs. I doubt it'll alter the ending too much tho. I think they don't affect the ending at all. The choices you make will probably weight way more into it.

Top Bottom