• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Fou-Lu

I didn't mean for people to assume that I think there should be more combat in Torment, there should still be the option to never fight a single thing, I just wish that if you decided to do combat it wouldn't cripple the game and you know, was also fun.

Dresden

I just think the weight of having non-violent resolutions is lessened when there are no violent options in the first place. Choice!

Zukuu

Banned
Depends on the situation. It would seem implausible if you could "talk" you way out of every situation. Some people are just set to harm you.

The plan for combat is to focus on quality of encounters over quantity. It won't be a combat heavy game, no grinding or dungeoncrawling, but the goal is to have a combat system better than PS:T's (well, yeah) and to have not-too-frequent but engaging encounters.

nerf bigwig

Bigwig is like the ultimate barbarian minmaxer. "Charisma, intelligence, wisdom?! Dump stats!"

Kayhan

The plan for combat is to focus on quality of encounters over quantity. It won't be a story heavy game, no grinding or dungeoncrawling, but the goal is to have a combat system better than PS:T's (well, yeah) and to have not-too-frequent but engaging encounters.

The plan for combat is to focus on quality of encounters over quantity. It won't be a story heavy game, no grinding or dungeoncrawling, but the goal is to have a combat system better than PS:T's (well, yeah) and to have not-too-frequent but engaging encounters.

Bigwig is like the ultimate barbarian minmaxer. "Charisma, intelligence, wisdom?! Dump stats!"

wat ? :(

Eusis

One thing I've found kind of frustrating in PS:T so far is that talking ALWAYS seems to give better rewards than fighting. It's a nice change since it's usually the other way around, but can't we have some balance?
PS:T brings balance to the industry.

Seriously though I'd save that for games that want to focus equally on story telling and combat, and they need to match the approachs, maybe the rewards for talking through make future encounters like that easier to talk through, or you get better defensive stuff so as to survive better when talking fails, and combat gets you more combat abilities and equipment to crush enemies with ease.
So not story heavy, and clearly not combat heavy either.

... We're pledging for an interactive artbook, aren't we?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
im thinking thats a typo. i can see "combat heavy" being where story heavy shows up. If its not (which to me is completely unpossible) then we have a problem.

FACE

Banned
Brother None reading those posts:

iHlPgco1H7F3Q.gif

im thinking thats a typo. i can see "combat heavy." If its not (which to me is completely unpossible) then we have a problem.

Hey it's you from the Arcanum thread :)

I agree with you, it must be "combat heavy". I played through PS:T to get every little line of dialog, avery item description, every lore element....

If not a typo, then... I'm worryed.

The plan for combat is to focus on quality of encounters over quantity. It won't be a combat heavy game, no grinding or dungeoncrawling, but the goal is to have a combat system better than PS:T's (well, yeah) and to have not-too-frequent but engaging encounters.

Haha, this post before it was edited.

CrunchyB

Yup, either auction them off, license them out or put them in the public domain. Any of those options are better than just sitting on them.

It's bizarre what they did with Dragonlance. Sovereign Press (Weiss & Perrin) licensed the setting between '01-'07 and released several rulebooks which (as far as I know) were fairly successful. But after 6 years WotC didn't want to renew the deal.

The setting has been dead ever since. How is that not destruction of capital?

Eusis

It's bizarre what they did with Dragonlance. Sovereign Press (Weiss & Perrin) licensed the setting between '01-'07 and released several rulebooks which (as far as I know) were fairly successful. But after 6 years WotC didn't want to renew the deal.

The setting has been dead ever since. How is that not destruction of capital?
I was thinking the problem with recent D&D games was mainly with Atari, but now I'm seriously thinking WotC just doesn't seem to have a clue/give a shit beyond the core rulebooks, flavor of the week settings, and whatever the hell looks grossly profitable at the moment. Though it may be a control issue, and they ARE stuck in the past in some ways far as I can tell (come on I want digital rule books, far more than I want most books in PDF/eBook form.)

hearing focus on quality encounters draws a tear to my eye why save all the memorable battles for boss fights/encounters when you can make high quality encounters with meaningful combat ...tear ;_;

the wait is going to be vicious

It's absurd that D&D lets so many good settings rot. Birthright..

IIRC, for this one in particular, it isn't WoTC that has it anymore but some other guy/outfit that snapped it up somewhere along the line, then it semi-recently went defunct/lapsed, then I'm not sure what happened from there...

Considering the one Birthright game we got before things went all loopy---could definitely stand to benefit immensely from a ground up revival/remake/something.

Mashing

Fucking A, someone has too much time on their hands (referring to that google doc).

Holy shit at 1st to 2nd day backers on DFA.

dude

dude
IIRC, for this one in particular, it isn't WoTC that has it anymore but some other guy/outfit that snapped it up somewhere along the line, then it semi-recently went defunct/lapsed, then I'm not sure what happened from there...

Considering the one Birthright game we got before things went all loopy---could definitely stand to benefit immensely from a ground up revival/remake/something.

Seeing as Colin McComb co-wrote it, he might just be the perfect man for the job :)

Zeliard

RE: Torment and combat, the best thing they could do here is in fact focus a bit more on the combat and make sure that's as fun to do in the game as anything else. It's just going to make player choice that much more meaningful if you are picking between methods of play that are similarly rewarding in their enjoyment. Sometimes you just want to stomp some guy into the mud instead of placating him.

I doubt it was the intention of the PS:T designers to have the combat feel so lackluster that players actively avoided it, especially since it already discouraged you from pursuing it through other ways (like experience points). Torment with better combat would have just been an even better game, and while combat should never be the main focus of a Torment game, there's no reason it shouldn't be of high standard.

I guess the issue is that developers wouldn't want their excellent combat system limited to just a few encounters?

If you have a great combat system, I imagine it will be pretty tempting to throw in more combat into the game (to show it off!) but then you're no longer sticking to the core principles of Planescape: Torment.

Soon at 2.4 millions, just one more day for 2.5 millions!

I guess the issue is that developers wouldn't want their excellent combat system limited to just a few encounters?

If you have a great combat system, I imagine it will be pretty tempting not to throw in more combat into the game (to show it off!) but then you're no longer sticking to the core principles of Planescape: Torment.

I don't see how combat would be straying away from the core concepts. I know conversational combat is important to Torment fans, but I just don't see how combat takes away from that. To me, torment was about its story and world building. Having more combat doesn't detract from that.

~Kinggi~

Banned

If you have a great combat system, I imagine it will be pretty tempting not to throw in more combat into the game (to show it off!) but then you're no longer sticking to the core principles of Planescape: Torment.

Unless they get some good press and update out there this will probably hit 2.5 on Tuesday.

If you have a great combat system, I imagine it will be pretty tempting to throw in more combat into the game (to show it off!) but then you're no longer sticking to the core principles of Planescape: Torment.

you seem a bit biased squiddy :p I see your concern but I'd honestly prefer to have a real choice of how to react/act in the game. so conversations and combat options should be pretty balanced concerning their quality.
I also think that's what they're aiming for, except you can't really change the fact that you're able to gain extra information & insights through conversations, so naturally most game developers seem to encourage this way of handling interactions knowingly or unknowingly, so I wouldn't worry

Vinci

Danish
This will be my first Kickstarter. Haven't been able to donate due to a lack of income while studying, but now that I'm finishing up and beginning my job? Hell yes. You guys deserve it. This looks and sounds great so far.

I have no idea what means.

Turn-based combat?

it seems to be something different

Basically:

1) Everyone rolls to see who goes in what order
2) Actions are decided
3) Sequence is determined
4) Combat begins
5) All actions are executed automatically based on the decisions made before the round

does anyone else also feel like he just found out the matrix is real? :S
honestly, I never made this distinction

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah, I still don't get how it's any different from turn-based.
I guess it's like in Civ 5 where everyone makes their move, and the "turns" kinda take place in the background?
Take chess. Chess is turn based. Player A goes then Player B goes. Phase based chess would have both come up with their move and then both of their moves execute simultaneously.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Not sure im crazy about this system (phase based combat). I like more direct impact in my gameplay, as do most gamers i imagine. Im not sure anything is confirmed though. Someone said there was a vg247 interview or something and they mention it there.

I don't mind some sort of turn/phase based system running the background that you can activate if you want precise control over combat.

Pretty much like old-school crpg games.

Midou

Not sure im crazy about this system (phase based combat). I like more direct impact in my gameplay, as do most gamers i imagine. Im not sure anything is confirmed though. Someone said there was a vg247 interview or something and they mention it there.

It's easy to take stuff like that out of context. I mean, technically plenty of CRPGs are 'turn based' but do it in the background. I imagine there might be an option, kind of like Arcanum if memory serves.

Zukuu

Banned
It depends how they implement it if I'm okay with the system or not.

I input in order:
PC#2 => Buff PC#1
PC#1 => Attack
PC#3 => Heal PC#1

Case 1:

The game rolls dices for all characters and enemies and then outputs a order according to the roll (and stats).

PC#3 => Heal PC#1
Enemy => Attacks PC#1
PC#1 => Attack
PC#2 => Buff PC#1

THAT WOULD BE BAD! It would destroy any sense of strategy.

Case 2:

The order stays intact, but the enemy get's his action somewhere in between.

PC#2 => Buff PC#1
PC#1 => Attack
Enemy => Attack PC#1
PC#3 => Heal PC#1

THAT is okay. All that changes over traditional turn based combat is that you're enforced to the option you chose in advance.

Case 3:
All attacks occur simultaneously.
Bad. VERY BAD!

I hope it will be case 2 so much!!

Top Bottom