• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

~Kinggi~

Banned
I completely regret skipping that one time GOG had that massive infinity engine sale where you could get all the games for like 30$. God damn.

I completely regret skipping that one time GOG had that massive infinity engine sale where you could get all the games for like 30$. God damn.

Wow, I was going to say you could get the Anthology collection on DVD for like 20 bucks, but unfortunately It seems to be out of print and much more expensive now.

But you can still get it at Gamestop and gamersgate digitally for only $20. Best 10 bucks $7.50 I ever spent when I bought it, and I already owned all but 1 of the games physically.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wow, I was going to say you could get the Anthology collection on DVD for like 20 bucks, but unfortunately It seems to be out of print and much more expensive now.

But you can still get it at Gamestop and gamersgate digitally for only $20. Best 10 bucks $7.50 I ever spent when I bought it, and I already owned all but 1 of the games physically.

What games were in it? The GOG deal they had like 8 games.

edit: oh shieeet

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

What games were in it? The GOG deal they had like 8 games.

edit: oh shieeet

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

Yeah, that is the one. Insane value for 20, Psychotic (!) for $7. Don't know if you can find it for less than $20 right now.

Word of warning, apparently some have had issues installing some of the mods with this version. I haven't tried, but there are tutorials online, so it looks doable but maybe more complicated than you might want.

Hanzou

Yeah, that is the one. Insane value for 20, Psychotic (!) for $7. Don't know if you can find it for less than $20 right now.

Word of warning, apparently some have had issues installing some of the mods with this version. I haven't tried, but there are tutorials online, so it looks doable but maybe more complicated than you might want.
Yeah i have this version and it's pretty great. Bg is actually the gog version as the gog icons are actually in the install folders. Kind of weird.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Indigo Gold. All day erry day.

I actually didnt get a good grasp of what this system actually is. I mean they said an awful lot but didnt give specifics. Just weird ways these things piece together. They should explain a gameplay scenario as to what it actually means.

Rubius

I actually didnt get a good grasp of what this system actually is. I mean they said an awful lot but didnt give specifics. Just weird ways these things piece together. They should explain a gameplay scenario as to what it actually means.

In think it will be like the Mass Effect system but with more than Good and Evil. Where things are more neutral. Like you see a guy who have an hostage,
You can :
Red : Take a shot at him and throw a a dagger at his face while rushing at him with a sword
Silver : Use your connection to intimidate him and swear that the king will hunt him down and torture him for years
Indigo : Tell the guy to release the guy for information you have on something he want/ sum of money
Gold : Offer yourself as an hostage instead of the hostage
Blue : Reason with him telling him that even if he kill the hostage, the king wont pay, and so he should leave now while he can.

My understanding (and hope) is that you will have like 5 choices to respond to a situation. Hopefully, and more realistically it is like 3 that fit on a sliding scale, so there isn't a Blue, Gold, red (think paragon renegade) response. Over time you will have more "points" in two areas than the others (or none, if you are neutral). These "points" will allow you to use certain items, get more benefit from items, use unique abilities and seem like they might play some kind of role with your reputations or "legacy" in the world. Although hopefully they avoid the pitfalls of Mass Effect where you are locked into one path or the other after a time, and also the situation where there is an obvious right choice (paragon or renegade) where you have to pick the one with the colored text to get the best result and get your points.

~Kinggi~

Banned
My understanding (and hope) is that you will have like 5 choices to respond to a situation. Hopefully, and more realistically it is like 3 that fit on a sliding scale, so there isn't a Blue, Gold, red (think paragon renegade) response. Over time you will have more "points" in two areas than the others (or none, if you are neutral). These "points" will allow you to use certain items, get more benefit from items, and seem like they might play some kind of role with your reputations or "legacy" in the world. Although hopefully they avoid the pitfalls of Mass Effect where you are locked into one path or the other after a time, and also the situation where there is an obvious right choice (paragon or renegade) where you have to pick the one with the colored text to get the best result and get your points.

In think it will be like the Mass Effect system but with more than Good and Evil. Where things are more neutral. Like you see a guy who have an hostage,
You can :
Red : Take a shot at him and throw a a dagger at his face while rushing at him with a sword
Silver : Use your connection to intimidate him and swear that the king will hunt him down and torture him for years
Indigo : Tell the guy to release the guy for information you have on something he want/ sum of money
Blue : Reason with him telling him that even if he kill the hostage, the king wont pay, and so he should leave now while he can.

Thanks for the descriptions. I hope it is as elaborate as that.

Zukuu

Banned
You can :

Missing neutral!

But seriously, reading this has hyped me incredible for no apparent reason.

Can't wait to replay Planescape:Torment with all mods in one week. Sweet 3 weeks of holiday!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Where did you hear this? I bought them from GamersGate when they had a sale on it despite owning a couple of the games from gog and boxed copies and outside having a different all in one installer (you can't choose individual games only sadly) they seem to be the same as the gog versions of the games, complete with leftover gog icons in the folders and stuff.

I installed the BGTrilogy mod and the various widescreen mods with no issues, I haven't tried more just yet.

kami_sama

I ave this version, and had no problem installing the mods.

Rubius

Missing neutral!

But seriously, reading this has hyped me incredible for no apparent reason.

Can't wait to replay Planescape:Torment with all mods in one week. Sweet 3 weeks of holiday!

Of course I wrote this in under 1 min, but you would obviously have maybe Silver being about "Hey, if you give me X, I can make it so that you escape easily" or join the guy. I think that having a good bad system on top would not really help things. I would prefer it if its more about Greed, Power, Lust, Wrath ect, than being actually evil.
Mostly because nobody on earth is evil, we just perceive them as evil, because they do not match our ways.
You feel bad for that guy about to be executed, but hey he gave you 100 gold pieces. I mean money is money.

Also, having a pure neutral answer do not seem really realistic. We are always driven by something.

Impressive. I though people was getting fed up of kickstarters.....

I just wonder how come people is willing to put so much faith and money in InXile before they even release their previous Kickstarter project.

Anyhow happy that this project will see the light and that apparently it will also be very well funded. I hope that it will be a worthy sequel.

It is crazy that they let an IP like Torment to rot, while it had so much economic potential.

Midou

Impressive. I though people was getting fed up of kickstarters.....

I just wonder how come people is willing to put so much faith and money in InXile before they even release their previous Kickstarter project.

Anyhow happy that this project will see the light and that apparently it will also be very well funded. I hope that it will be a worthy sequel.

It is crazy that they let an IP like Torment to rot, while it had so much economic potential.

Well majority played it after the fact, I don't think it did that well when it came out..

Purkake4

Banned
Oh, the IP is still rotting and will rot for years to come. Wizards of the Coast is letting their old setting gather dust and riding that train to the bitter end, as it would seem.

dude

dude
Oh, the IP is still rotting and will rot for years to come. Wizards of the Coast is letting their old setting gather dust and riding that train to the bitter end, as it would seem.

It's absurd that D&D lets so many good settings rot. I'm glad they brought back Dark Sun - But where's my Spelljammer, Planescape, Birthright and Gamma World?

Purkake4

Banned
It's absurd that D&D lets so many good settings rot. I'm glad they brought back Dark Sun - But where's my Spelljammer, Planescape, Birthright and Gamma World?
Yup, either auction them off, license them out or put them in the public domain. Any of those options are better than just sitting on them.

Well majority played it after the fact, I don't think it did that well when it came out..

Yeah but nevertheless, It is undeniable that the brand had still economic potential just waiting to be exploited (even keeping in mind that kickstarter has different cost / mechanisms etc etc compared to the traditional funding )

it is just a waste that Wizards of the Coast do not use the IP it has ....they could even have launched this kickstarter..... why letting others do it ? crazy

Oh well .... it is probably better like this, in this way we are sure that it is done by genuinely interested and passionate people, and not just by some hired "mercenary"

injurai

Banned
Yeah but nevertheless, It is undeniable that the brand had still economic potential just waiting to be exploited (even keeping in mind that kickstarter has different cost / mechanisms etc etc compared to the traditional funding )

it is just a waste that Wizards of the Coast do not use the IP it has ....they could even have launched this kickstarter..... why letting others do it ? crazy

Oh well .... it is probably better like this, in this way we are sure that it is done by genuinely interested and passionate people, and not just by some hired "mercenary"

Wizard has rights to Planescape, but inXile got rights to Torment. So it's not like they let others do it.

Purkake4

Banned
Wizard has rights to Planescape, but inXile got rights to Torment. So it's not like they let others do it.
Have they actually publicly said that? I was under the impression that they're skirting around copyright issues by using "Torment" as a generic term and billing the game as a spiritual successor.

I'd expect Interplay to still hold the rights to PST, if anyone.

Rubius

Planescape is dead. Really. 3.5 and 4.0 killed Planescape by making Planes differents. Planescape cant really exist anymore because of it.

injurai

Banned
Have they actually publicly said that? I was under the impression that they're skirting around copyright issues by using "Torment" as a generic term and billing the game as a spiritual successor.

I think Atari has the rights now for the PS:T game, of course Wizards owns the general franchise rights.

They don't have rights to torment IP, that is why you won't see Fall from grace or the nameless one.

No, they have rights to Torment. (But not Planescape who like I said is owned by Wizards of the West Coast)

from wikipedia
  • In November 2012, Penny Arcade Report wrote that Brian Fargo, the head of inXile Entertainment, had acquired the rights to Torment.[75]
  • In January 2013, Brian Fargo announced that the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, titled Torment: Tides of Numenera, was in production and would be set in the Numenera RPG universe created by Monte Cook.[76]

from RPS
  • Update – and that in is that Brian Fargo, Inxile boss, has acquired the Torment IP as November 27th. This was dug up by copyright sleuths at RPGCodex, which appears to be offline at the moment (too many stories linking to it, perhaps). So yeah, we can read a lot into the fact that Inxile now owns the Torment name, I think.

From United States Patent and Trademark Office
  • Mark: TORMENT
  • US Serial Number: 85617632 Application Filing Date: May 04, 2012
  • Register: Principal
  • Mark Type: Trademark, Service Mark
  • Status: Notice of Allowance (NOA) sent (issued) to the applicant. Applicant must file a Statement of Use or Extension Request within six months of the NOA issuance date.
  • Status Date: Jan. 22, 2013
  • Publication Date: Nov. 27, 2012
  • Owner Name: Roxy Friday, LLC
  • Owner Address:
  • 4 Fairway Point
  • Newport Beach, CALIFORNIA 92657
  • UNITED STATES
  • Legal Entity Type: LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY

from Corporation Wiki
  • Roxy Friday, LLC has a location in Newport Beach, CA. Active officers include Brian Fargo. Roxy Friday, LLC filed as a Domestic on Monday, January 28, 2002 in the state of California and is currently active. Brian Fargo serves as the registered agent for this organization.The company's line of business includes Software Broker.
  • Category: Software Broker, Technology Investments
  • Filings: Domestic (CA - Active)
  • Source: California Secretary of State last refreshed 11/4/2012

Purkake4

Banned
Planescape is dead. Really. 3.5 and 4.0 killed Planescape by making Planes differents. Planescape cant really exist anymore because of it.
Wizards hasn't cared about internal consistency in their cosmology since they released Eberron and resurrected Dark Sun. There's no reason it couldn't exist side by side with the existing campaign settings.

No, they have rights to Torment. (But not Planescape who like I said is owned by Wizards of the West Coast)
Interesting, nice sourcing there.

duckroll

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/09/planescape-torment-sequel/

RPS – Can you talk about why Wizards of the Coast were resistant to licensing Planescape again?

Fargo: We asked and were rebuffed. In reality we didn’t push very hard on licensing it as the team was excited to work with Monte on Numenera and they felt that there would be less creative restriction. And WotC has been pretty silent on this space for some time. Neither Feargus nor I was able to get a Baldur’s Gate 3 project going.

RPS – Did you meet any resistance when seeking the Torment name?

Fargo: I patiently waited for someone to do something with a Torment concept but nothing happened. After many years the rights expired and allowed me to step in and put together a great team to make another title of its kind. We will improve on the mechanics and deliver a deep narrative story that is deserving of the name Torment.

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/about

Torment and Tides of Numenera are trademarks of inXile entertainment. Numenera is a trademark of Monte Cook Games.

Alexios

This just means they have rights to use that as a title, no? Nothing to do with the original game.

Then again, if that was the case, surely they could have worked around it and made the game earlier.

Planescape: Torment is not Torment: Tides of Numenera, they just happen to use the same word so it seems to me it should have been possible. Like all the games with the word Edge not really having issues against each other outside that patent troll.

duckroll

This just means they have rights to use that as a title, no? Nothing to do with the original game.

Yeah they have the rights to use Torment as a title now because the rights lapsed. Interplay does not own the original game anymore either, the rights have reverted to Wizards of the Coast.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/planescape_torment

developer / publisher: Black Isle Studios / Hasbro Inc.

Edit: Further proof:

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp

Search for Torment:

Word Mark PLANESCAPE: TORMENT
Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Downloadable computer game programs. FIRST USE: 20120701. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20120701
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 85822413
Filing Date January 14, 2013
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) Wizards of the Coast LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 1027 Newport Avenue Pawtucket RHODE ISLAND 02862
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Word Mark PLANESCAPE: TORMENT
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer programs for video games and computer games and instruction manuals sold as a unit with the programs, and computer programs for video games and computer games which may be downloaded from a global computer network
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76026377
Filing Date April 17, 2000
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Owner (APPLICANT) Interplay Entertainment Corp. DBA Interplay Productions CORPORATION DELAWARE 16815 Von Karman Avenue Irvine CALIFORNIA 92606
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record VICTOR S. SZE
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date April 5, 2001

Acidote

I like it better this way than having them using the original license. Specially if the game works well financially. If it does, it's theirs to do as they please.

Alexios

I like it better this way than having them using the original license. Specially if the game works well financially. If it does, it's theirs to do as they please.
They're still basing it on someone else's IP... But of course they can probably afford to re-license... Or just jump settings again.

Personally I don't even think they needed to have Torment to make this game. It's still not a sequel in this way, obviously, so having Torment at all is clearly just for the association with it, marketing/pr basically. The game could have otherwise been identical, just with a different title. Simply Tides of Numenera for example, and they could still be talking about it as their attempt at making a successor to Planescape: Torment to the degree it's ethical and legal without getting in Wizards' turf.

Acidote

I think it's pretty clear that their relationship with Monte Cook is quite good. I included him into the "do as they please" part :p. He isn't of a WotC size either. Yet.

duckroll

With regards to what Fargo said about the rights for "Torment" in particular lapsing, he might be referring to this trademark:

Word Mark TORMENT
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game software. FIRST USE: 20020600. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20020600
(CANCELLED) IC 016. US 002 005 022 023 029 037 038 050. G & S: Printed matter, namely, trading cards, game instruction manuals and strategic guide books. FIRST USE: 20020204. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20020204

(CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toys, namely, mechanical action figures, games, namely, trading card games and role-playing games. FIRST USE: 20020204. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20020204

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 76257298
Filing Date May 10, 2001
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition September 18, 2001
Registration Number 2778296
Registration Date October 28, 2003
Owner (REGISTRANT) Wizards of the Coast, Inc. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 1801 Lind Ave. SW Renton WASHINGTON 98057
(LAST LISTED OWNER) WIZARDS OF THE COAST LLC CORPORATION DELAWARE 1027 NEWPORT AVENUE PAWTUCKET RHODE ISLAND 02862

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record KEVIN S. COSTANZA
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date June 5, 2010

If Wizards of the Coast still had a trademark registered for just "Torment" and specifically with regards to Computer Games and Role Playing Games, then they might have had a problem with this Kickstarter. It was cancelled in June 2010.

dude

dude
It's a setting, if you use it you just follow its rules and not the ones in the other books. That's a pretty lame excuse. And they still have Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Gamma World and Birthright to answer for. I think they just like sitting on good IPs.

People seem to have the right of it here. Full rights of Planescape: Torment (IP rights include characters and locations made in the game) belonged to Interplay, then reverted to Atari, then to Hasbro. Things like the Nameless One and Ravel Puzzlewel belong to them, and that's fine by us.

And as a thematic franchise, we can keep hopping settings. But that's all for future consideration

With regards to what Fargo said about the rights for "Torment" in particular lapsing, he might be referring to this trademark

He was. It is simply the mark "Torment" for use in video games, which Fargo snatched up last year.

Rubius

It's a setting, if you use it you just follow its rules and not the ones in the other books. That's a pretty lame excuse. And they still have Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Gamma World and Birthright to answer for. I think they just like sitting on good IPs.

Except that a setting is dependant of the core rule books. If you want to play D&D 4.0, the alignment system destroyed most of the gods, and made Planewalking way way more streamlined.
I doubt that D&D 5.0 will go back to planescape.

Top Bottom