• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Folk in the comments are saying this game will have phase-based combat?

Discussed by Colin here, but we haven't really talked about it indepth yet, for backers, and not he says "we are favoring".

“So with all of these goals in mind for our combat, we think it’s agnostic of whether its real-time or pause-based like Planescape: Torment was, or if it’s phase based,” McComb concluded.

THAT is okay. All that changes over traditional turn based combat is that you're enforced to the option you chose in advance.

I really think it's going to be like that. (if it's going to be phase based)
I found a note on the original wasteland about this:
Wasteland's combat was 'phase based', where the party member's each chose a course of action, then watched it play out. In Baldur's Gate the PC's all have their course of action selected at the start; (either by the player or the AI).
The game allows the player to pause and re-assign any PC's course of action, then resume to watch it play out. The game also offers the option of pausing at the end of each round ~that makes it absolutely "Phase based"

Llyranor

It depends how they implement it if I'm okay with the system or not.

I input in order:
PC#2 => Buff PC#1
PC#1 => Attack
PC#3 => Heal PC#1

Case 1:

The game rolls dices for all characters and enemies and then outputs a order according to the roll (and stats).

PC#3 => Heal PC#1
Enemy => Attacks PC#1
PC#1 => Attack
PC#2 => Buff PC#1

THAT WOULD BE BAD! It would destroy any sense of strategy.

Case 2:

The order stays intact, but the enemy get's his action somewhere in between.

PC#2 => Buff PC#1
PC#1 => Attack
Enemy => Attack PC#1
PC#3 => Heal PC#1

THAT is okay. All that changes over traditional turn based combat is that you're enforced to the option you chose in advance.

Case 3:
All attacks occur simultaneously.
Bad. VERY BAD!

I hope it will be case 2 so much!!
This is what initiative would be for. Highest initiative goes first.

Might be an interesting system if interrupts are in. High-level spells cost a longer time to case, so faster attacks might have a chance to interrupt. You might opt in one circumstance to go for a fast attack with a higher chance of interrupt, rather than a slower higher-damage attack.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I just want to press a button and cast magic missiles!
da2ot-04.gif

Eusis

it seems to be something different

does anyone else also feel like he just found out the matrix is real? :S
honestly, I never made this distinction
Sounds like Turn Based to me, but Dragon Quest/FF1-3 style rather than Final Fantasy X style. Though calling it phase based IS a good way to distinguish.

Can't help but feel that while it'd work for the video game it might not really make that much sense in a P&P setting, depending on how seriously you want to roleplay.

I need to stop giving Brian Fargo money. His last name isn't a coincidence after all, he should fund his games himself.

I put down $50 for the digital package with all the novellas. I like reading short stories, I hope these ones are worth it.

When I hear phased based combat I think of it as like a card game. Where as I choose all my actions, watch them play out either right after I decide, action by action, or all at once, then my enemy will do the same. There are some tactics games that have this system but i can't think of them off the top of my head. Maybe FFTA?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*sniff sniff*

I KNEW I SMELT MASS EFFECT HATIN'.

Zukuu

Banned
I hope they do 100.000k increments after 3 mil.

I want 2D visuals as well. In HD it'll be a stunner to look at. I'm mad at the whole 3D hype that arose with the PS1. I mean, it's a good thing, but I miss pre-rendered backgrounds (in particular in RPGs). I love the visual art design of FF7 and 8 for instance (save for the character models obviously).

So is "I want to be a dragon" an actual option? I've always assumed it was a shop

It's the snarky/comedic option. I don't understand why people use that .gif, because it's of course going to make the older game look better if you purposefully screencap a glitch and use it as representation of the final product.

Zukuu

Banned
Tried to set up Planescape:Torment today, to be ready at the end of the week to start through.

Installed the widescreen mod, and I dunno, somehow I like the original resolution the best. 1920x1080 is way too far zoomed out and I can't make out anything too clearly. I tried to use 1280x720, but that gives me borders at the top and bottom. =/

Violet_0

Banned
It's the snarky/comedic option. I don't understand why people use that .gif, because it's of course going to make the older game look better if you purposefully screencap a glitch and use it as representation of the final product.

it's representative of the final product. Dragon Age 2 burned my house and killed my dog

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh, so it's like Frozen Synapse? I hated that style of combat. :\

Boo you!
Boo. You.

FS combat is best combat. You need to train some more :p

But yeah, I dont think its that big of a deal in this case and it will play more or less like a traditional Party RPG, just that you need to determine the actions of a turn at once.

mclem

Yeah, but the older game's showing a glitch, too. Look at all that text it's spewing over the screen! I can't see my Mr. Henry Stabbington and all the awesome shit he's doing with his stabblades.

Didn't bother to read the text. I assume it's all just error messages, right? Such buggy shit.

Yeah, but the older game's showing a glitch, too. Look at all that text it's spewing over the screen! I can't see my Mr. Henry Stabbington and all the awesome shit he's doing with his stabblades.

Didn't bother to read the text. I assume it's all just error messages, right? Such buggy shit.

Disclaimer: People actually think like this.

FACE

Banned
Isn't that more like plugging up a hole Kickstarter created or something? 10% off of everything above 1 million?

I didn't really understand your question, but this is from the kickstarter page:

With Torment, Brian pledged to personally add $100k to the project if we reached the $900,000 goal but fell short of a million. And if funding beat $1 million, he pledged to instead contribute 10 cents from every $1 pledged from the $1 million to $2 million mark. Brian is thus kicking in $100K of his own (this is not reflected in the Kickstarter total and all will be applied directly to the development budget). Torment superfan Steve Dengler (@Dracogen) picked up the torch when we reached $2M, and is continuing the 10% match for every dollar raised between $2M and $3M!

Dennis

Banned
About the game's combat (I stole this from RPG Codex who stole it from VG247):

McComb explained, “What we’re favouring for combat is a phase-based combat system. But how we’ve approached it is we want it to be a stronger combat system than Planescape: Torment had. We’ve defined the main characteristics, so we want there to be strategic elements.

“By ‘strategic’ I mean the customisation of your character outside of combat, like your choices in terms of what class you are, what capabilities you have and what equipment you’re using. Within combat we want tactical decisions that are planned.

What you do away from the battlefield will also have a profound impact on how characters behave in combat, similar to Obsidian’s Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer.

“We also want a tie-in with the narrative,” McComb continued. “There will be aspects from the creative side that influence the gamplay. One example of this is what we did for Mask of the Betrayer, with you being the Spirit Eater, and having powers that had effects on combat that changed depending on what you did outside of combat.

“We want to have a focus on the quality of combat encounters over quantity, so this isn’t going to be an action RPG where you slay mobs of minions and get lots of treasure. The combat will be relevant to what’s going on.

McComb explained that combat will also be avoidable if players wish to use words, rather than weapons, “In the tradition of Planescape: Torment we want combat to be avoidable in many if not all circumstances depending on the choices you make.”

Interesting that Colin doesn't mention the option of turn-based combat at all...

McComb explained, “What we’re favouring for combat is a phase-based combat system. But how we’ve approached it is we want it to be a stronger combat system than Planescape: Torment had. We’ve defined the main characteristics, so we want there to be strategic elements.

“By ‘strategic’ I mean the customisation of your character outside of combat, like your choices in terms of what class you are, what capabilities you have and what equipment you’re using. Within combat we want tactical decisions that are planned.

What you do away from the battlefield will also have a profound impact on how characters behave in combat, similar to Obsidian’s Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer.

“We also want a tie-in with the narrative,” McComb continued. “There will be aspects from the creative side that influence the gamplay. One example of this is what we did for Mask of the Betrayer, with you being the Spirit Eater, and having powers that had effects on combat that changed depending on what you did outside of combat.

“We want to have a focus on the quality of combat encounters over quantity, so this isn’t going to be an action RPG where you slay mobs of minions and get lots of treasure. The combat will be relevant to what’s going on.

McComb explained that combat will also be avoidable if players wish to use words, rather than weapons, “In the tradition of Planescape: Torment we want combat to be avoidable in many if not all circumstances depending on the choices you make.”

Interesting that Colin doesn't mention the option of turn-based combat at all...

I'm happy with all of that, aside from the potential lack of optional turn-based combat - though I can live with that if the combat is alright.

I love the NWN2 referencing :p

Purkake4

Banned
Tried to set up Planescape:Torment today, to be ready at the end of the week to start through.

Installed the widescreen mod, and I dunno, somehow I like the original resolution the best. 1920x1080 is way too far zoomed out and I can't make out anything too clearly. I tried to use 1280x720, but that gives me borders at the top and bottom. =/
Make sure you're also using Ghostdog's UI mod.

yeah kinda strange isn't it? but I'd be totally fine with phase-based combat.
maybe they wanted to set it apart from WL2, which is going to be turn-based if I remember correctly

Top Bottom