• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

And people were saying KS backing was slowing down as a whole :D

Go Go Torment!

It is when you think about it. But Fargo knows that this brand has a lot of momentum. The Kickstarter for Numenera was a huge success and that was fairly recently. Consider their success with wasteland 2 as well and you already have enough free publicity for this kickstarter and then add in that PS:T was just released on GoG and supposedly selling pretty well on top of the fact that those of use that actually played the game back in the day have been waiting for a sequel/successor. This project has a lot going for it that others don't (Project Awakened for instance)

You can get the game with a $20 pledge.

$95 is the price of most Collector's Editions nowadays anyway. It's actually competitive, not insulting.

Competetive maybe on kickstarter. Most CEs I have bought have been $10-$20 more than the physical copy, sometimes even a free preorder incentive like with Dark Souls and this is when you have the publisher taking a nice big cut. I feel the $65 box copy is pretty high too when digital is $25. Recently we saw Class of Heroes 2 be $35 for the physical copy/DD code and the base game there is $25 too. Pier Solar HD was also $49 for the Dreamcast copy which I imagine will be nicer than the DVD case the $65 copy here will (I assume) ship in. I know this is a much bigger project than Pier Solar HD but I think it is still a decent example.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Competetive maybe on kickstarter. Most CEs I have bought have been $10-$20 more than the physical copy, sometimes even a free preorder incentive like with Dark Souls and this is when you have the publisher taking a nice big cut.

Collector's Editions regularly jump up to near $100... and this will be far more limited than those. Anyway, as previously explained, this isn't an online store.

Perkel

Banned
It is when you think about it. But Fargo knows that this brand has a lot of momentum. The Kickstarter for Numenera was a huge success and that was fairly recently. Consider their success with wasteland 2 as well and you already have enough free publicity for this kickstarter and then add in that PS:T was just released on GoG and supposedly selling pretty well on top of the fact that those of use that actually played the game back in the day have been waiting for a sequel/successor. This project has a lot going for it that others don't (Project Awakened for instance)

Not it is not.

Kickstarter pitches are most important thing that should convince people to pledge. Most of kickstarter campains that fails are just badly pitched or design is simply not fun to people.

About two months ago we had Star Citizent crowdfunding which broke Project Eternity record 4mln twice. Currently at 8,3 mln.

They created fantastic pitch video and they worked almost a year on their project.
Planetary Anihilation didn't have anyone fameous and thanks to their good campain and a lot of work, design, art and sweat they did make a lot money.

With each new project crowdfunding community is in fact growing. If those game will deliver that community will reach its full potential.
Just in march 2012 most of people where treating Kickstarter as moneygrab not as awesome new way of crowfunding. Right now people like that are minority.

After Wasteland 2 i said that probably next year or two there will be project that will reach 10mln$. It wasn't even year since that time and Star Citizent is near 10mln$.

Started playing Planescape: Torment for the first time a while ago. Dropped on the moment when Lothar
stole Morte and refused to return him back to me because he claimed that he's his property. When I tried to kill bastard game told me that I tested my immortality on the wrong person.
Fuck that shit, even Arcanum allowed to finish the game by killing every single person, and now I died during a bloody cutscene. I doubt I'm going to pledge this one after such a nonsense.

Llyranor

I pledged 250, then I decreased it to 20 :D

Been spending too much money on KS recently.

As much as I'd want Avellone as a stretch goal, he should be working on Eternity. Maybe as a guest designer for a quest line or something.

J-Man

My first kickstarter. I thought I'd just buy the kickstarter stuff I wanted after it gets funded, but I decided to take the plunge on the $45 tier which includes Wasteland.

Perkel

Banned
Started playing Planescape: Tornment for the first time a while ago. Dropped on the moment when Lothar
stole Morte and refused to return him back to me because he claimed that he's his property. When I tried to kill bastard game told me that I tested my immortality on the wrong person.
Fuck that shit, even Arcanum allowed to finish the game by killing every single person, and now I died during a bloody cutscene. I doubt I'm going to pledge this one after such a nonsense.

You should be amazed dude. There are only like 5 people who can kill you in PST.

Started playing Planescape: Tornment for the first time a while ago. Dropped on the moment when Lothar

In good stories, you are not some super god that can kill everything.

Someone out there is bigger and more powerful than you are.

If you can't handle that, I suppose there is always Halo or CoD.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I never doubted it would reach and exceed its goal, but I am surprised by the current momentum. Crazy.

Falxix

I wanted a physical copy and $95 seemed perfect, but it sold out before I even woke up. I can't believe how fast this is selling.

wrowa

Torment is already more successful than Numenera's kickstarter (more money raised and double the amount of backers) and PS:T has been available on gog for years. I doubt that these are the reasons the Torment kickstarter is successful.

Of course, it got more momentum than most other kickstarters. But that's true for pretty much every project by well-known people that are working on a beloved franchise. I'm sure that it benefits from inXile's kickstarter experience, though. They simply have learned how to sell and pitch such a project.

You should be amazed dude. There are only like 5 people who can kill you in PST.

I still don't like it. They could of done things differently in my opinion. Being able to die in such a situation is like running into an invisible wall. I hope my rage goes off before the kickstarter ends, and I'll throw some money to the good guy Fargo. I have some respect for this man.

If you can't handle that, I suppose there is always Halo or CoD.

Buzz off. I am huge CRPG fan, yet I'm not going to be biased because of that.

But it's even more terribly broken in terms of balance than most great CRPGs

DISINTEGRATION

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Where you are a god if you can click Harm fast enough.

Don't hurt me, I love Arcanum! But it's even more terribly broken in terms of balance than most great CRPGs

I won't hurt you because I consider Arcanum to be a bad game with some charm. I spent like 20 hours with it so my judgement is final.

Not it is not.

Kickstarter pitches are most important thing that should convince people to pledge. Most of kickstarter campains that fails are just badly pitched or design is simply not fun to people.

About two months ago we had Star Citizent crowdfunding which broke Project Eternity record 4mln twice. Currently at 8,3 mln.

They created fantastic pitch video and they worked almost a year on their project.
Planetary Anihilation didn't have anyone fameous and thanks to their good campain and a lot of work, design, art and sweat they did make a lot money.

Yes you are right, the pitch is what makes it, but having a good pitch doesn't mean the kickstarter trend is still firing on all cylinders. Recent failures, like Wildman and Project Awakened, both with solid pitches and talent behind them, failed. Not to mention every game you commented was successful while the Kickstarter train was still moving pretty strongly(and every game you mentioned all filled a niche, the CRPG, the Space Sim, and PA was successful because it was trying to innovate on Total Annihilation, again, another title that people wanted to see a proper successor to). These are the things that drive kickstarter success and sadly titles like Wildman and Project Awakened tried to be to ambitious. It is obvious that the high profile more expensive Kickstarters are slowing down. Again, this project is coasting on the success of Numenera, Wasteland 2 and a void that the PS:T community have been aching for. A community that most high profile video game kickstarters wish they had. It might reignite success in more high profile titles, but it doesn't ultimately prove that the Kickstarter trend is still a viable market for high profile video games (I don't consider smaller projects like Delvers drop to be High profile, FYI, i DO believe that Kickstarter is still very huge for these sub 100k projects)

I am certainly not disagreeing with you in anything you said, but it is hard to argue that Kickstarter is still a valid tool for these high profile titles. I would be willing to bet If projects like Wildman or Project Awakened tried there hand at kickstarter last year, they would have both found success. Unless you are looking for like sub 100k or fill some niche, you likely aren't going to find much success anymore.

Herla

I was planning to get the lowest tier possible, but The Nameless One's voice in the video convinced me to give them 113$.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Speaking of which, that's one of the last old school RPGs without a spiritual successor coming up. Someone needs to get on that.

Arcanum was a spiritual successor to Fallout so I guess Wasteland II fits the bill.

Speaking of which, that's one of the last old school RPGs without a spiritual successor coming up. Someone needs to get on that.

Please don't. Some things better to be left unspoiled. I can agree for some HD remake with bugs being finally fixed, but otherwise - pass.

I still don't like it. They could of done things differently in my opinion. Being able to die in such a situation is like running into an invisible wall. I hope my rage goes off before the kickstarter ends, and I'll throw some money to the good guy Fargo. I have some respect for this man.

Buzz off. I am huge CRPG fan, yet I'm not going to be biased because of that.

DISINTEGRATION

All the time up until you meet the guy, you are given warning after warning not to screw with him.

I've literally never seen so many warnings in my life before meeting a character.

Any time you so much as mention his name, every character tells you to run for your life and be super careful with anything you say to him if not to abandon your quest all together.

The only other person who got that kind of attention is the Lady.

I don't think it's their fault that you couldn't piece together that he might kill you even when the instruction manual specifically says there are characters that will flat out end your game.

This is the typical problem of a player malfunction blamed on the developers because you weren't paying enough attention to see it coming.

I still don't like it. They could of done things differently in my opinion. Being able to die in such a situation is like running into an invisible wall.

How's it anything like running into an invisible wall? If anything it's like running into a visible wall which you clearly need to circumnavigate because the entity is far more powerful than you. Of all the criticisms that a person could quit playing Torment over that's a really odd one.

Miletius

Looks like most of the limited tiers are being swallowed up quickly. They might need to come up with a few more to sustain interest.

wrowa

Yes you are right, the pitch is what makes it, but having a good pitch doesn't mean the kickstarter trend is still firing on all cylinders. Recent failures, like Wildman and Project Awakened, both with solid pitches and talent behind them, failed. Not to mention every game you commented was successful while the Kickstarter train was still moving pretty strongly(and every game you mentioned all filled a niche, the CRPG, the Space Sim, and PA was successful because it was trying to innovate on Total Annihilation, again, another title that peopel wanted to see a proper successor to). It is obvious that the high profile more expensive Kickstarters are slowing down. Again, this project is coasting on the success of Numenera, Wasteland 2 and a void that the PS:T community have been aching for. A community that most high profile video game kickstarters wish they had. It might reignite success in more high profile titles, but it doesn't ultimately prove that the Kickstarter trend is still a viable market for high profile video games (I don't consider smaller projects like Delvers drop to be High profile, FYI, i DO believe that Kickstarter is still very huge for these sub 100k projects)

Which high profile video game kickstarters are you speaking of, exactly? Pretty much all game kickstarters that went into the millions were spiritual successors or by figureheads of the industry. Double Fine? Double Fine and fucking Tim Schafer. Wasteland 2? Brian Fargo, Wasteland 1 and fucking Fallout. Project Eternity? Obsidian with some of the most popular RPG heads the industry has to offer and the promise to make something like Baldur's Gate etc. Star Citizen? Chris Roberts, Wing Commander fame.

Nothing has changed in that regard. You are also clinging to two failures while you are ignoring a project like Dreamfall Chapters which just got a million in funding.

sflufan

Banned
I would be willing to bet If projects like Wildman or Project Awakened tried there hand at kickstarter last year, they would have both found success.

I'm fairly certain that there is absolutely no period during which Wildman would have found success on Kickstarter (or any other funding vehicle) simply because of the recent track record of Gas Powered Games itself.

Durante

Heh, I just got this:

Hi!

This is the one-time email you requested. We are happy to announce that the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter has begun! Thank you so much for joining the Torment community early and for giving us your ideas and feedback about the Kickstarter. We hope you are as excited about this game as we are!

You can learn more about the game at our Kickstarter page. We hope you enjoy.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

inXile

Good on them for getting it out before the project is funded ;)

Perkel

Banned
Yes you are right, the pitch is what makes it, but having a good pitch doesn't mean the kickstarter trend is still firing on all cylinders. Recent failures, like Wildman and Project Awakened, both with solid pitches and talent behind them, failed. Not to mention every game you commented was successful while the Kickstarter train was still moving pretty strongly(and every game you mentioned all filled a niche, the CRPG, the Space Sim, and PA was successful because it was trying to innovate on Total Annihilation, again, another title that peopel wanted to see a proper successor to). It is obvious that the high profile more expensive Kickstarters are slowing down. Again, this project is coasting on the success of Numenera, Wasteland 2 and a void that the PS:T community have been aching for. A community that most high profile video game kickstarters wish they had. It might reignite success in more high profile titles, but it doesn't ultimately prove that the Kickstarter trend is still a viable market for high profile video games (I don't consider smaller projects like Delvers drop to be High profile, FYI, i DO believe that Kickstarter is still very huge for these sub 100k projects)

Wildman failed because ARPG fans didn't like it. Diablo like gengre which Wildman was target is very very very competetive place. I saw Wildman and pitch. I as ARPG fan. In pitch there was nothing about mechanics that would scream to me this is amazing. Just good looking game in which you can bash something.

Meanwhile Path of Exile which was created by GGG (team of less than 15 people) for few years with their own money asked people at start of early BETA for money and they got 5 milion smackers simply because they had fantastic talent and moved ARPG from standstill with their amazing mechanics design.

That is difference between good and bad pitch.

Next: Nexus 2. I backed it but from long range i saw that there wasn't enough work behind pitch and it looked like money grab instead of full design sheet.

mrpeabody

I'm really amazed KS doesn't crash.

But then again, all the money's going through Amazon, correct? They got some phat series' of tubes. I wonder what kind of sales spike this represents for them? 1% above normal traffic maybe? How many purchases are they handling per second normally?

Amazon's U.S. retail site serves 60m customers per month. I doubt Kickstarter traffic even makes a blip.

Vlodril

Wildman failed because ARPG fans didn't like it. Diablo like gengre which Wildman was target is very very very competetive place. I saw Wildman and pitch. I as ARPG fan. In pitch there was nothing about mechanics that would scream to me this is amazing. Just good looking game in which you can bash something.

Meanwhile Path of Exile which was created by GGG (team of less than 15 people) for few years with their own money asked people at start of early BETA for money and they got 5 milion smackers simply because they had fantastic talent and moved ARPG from standstill with their amazing mechanics design.

That is difference between good and bad pitch.

Next: Nexus 2. I backed it but from long range i saw that there wasn't enough work behind pitch and it looked like money grab instead of full design sheet.

I also backed nexus also although the kickstarter was lousy and it was evident that it would not make it. But i loved the first game so i just had to.

There are people who could say "sup" and get their project funded (see project eternity. no video nothing). Nexus guys were not it. You need to display a well thought out kickstarter (video and pics help) if you want someone to pledge.

And of course there are games that simply don't interest people.

Perkel

Banned
I saw somewhere that a ultima ks would be starting soon

I fear that kickstarter will fail if rumors are true.
People need to learn that people are not stupid and they double check before they pay money.

Dude who will be creating this kickstarter will need amazing pitch if he want to convince us that he have no money for that.
Dude few years ago was one of the first commercial clients going into space and he is rich as fuck.

Llyranor

Nexus1 wasn't popular enough for the KS to be a lock, no matter how amazing the first game was. I hope the devs learn from that and retry with a better pitch. I want Nexus2 :mad:

Durante

There are people who could say "sup" and get their project funded (see project eternity. no video nothing). Nexus guys were not it. You need to display a well thought out kickstarter (video and pics help) if you want someone to pledge.
I'm almost certain Eternity had a video from the start.

Top Bottom