• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Well, the 3-million stretch goal ain't that bad as it offers concrete stuff like increased legacies, new companion, two enemy cults, and "secret meres" (which let you play out optional quests and whatnot through the eyes of other castoffs the way I understood it).

So hopefully they'll just keep at it with concrete stuff, and just drop the percentage number.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Oh man i love the sound of that Castoffs Landing place, very interesting. I love unknown secrets! I also like that its the Deep Dungeon from PE lol. Excellent.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am saddened though to see on their stretch goal page that the top voted feature (2d backgrounds) is not labeled under 'considering'. I dont know, only way id buy that is if they show 3d environments that look like they can hold their own against the 2d stuff.

nbthedude

Yeah, I agree with nbthedude. Most of the major gaming Kickstarters I've seen have been guilty of that, though, especially in the relative early going of the drive. There's no way for us to quantify stuff like "200% more gameplay" since there's no real basis for comparison. 200% more than the base game, but what was that? And what does it even mean, anyway?

But it is something other Kickstarters have done - the nebulous "more content!", "bigger world!" types of assertions that we've seen with stretch goals. I think the recently introduced stretch goal forum is a fantastic idea and it should alleviate that to a degree, since they can cast a much wider net for suggestions.

2D background art, plz.

True, many of them have gotten away with it, but there are definitely ways around it as the Project Eternity kickstarter demonstrated. You can say, add a second big city, or a new sidequest referencing the earlier game, new races, new playable characters, etc. Or even if you want to be more generic talk about hours of gameplay or numbers of additional sidequest or the number of additional enemy types or loot items that will be created.

Granted none of those things directly correlate to development funds, but if they wanted to go the more abstracted route they could do things like "expanded 1 month of dev time" or "hire two more graphic artists" or whatever. You can either give specific player content you will add or talk about how you will expand your development process. Both of those are genuine approaches.

~Kinggi~

Banned
They are. I was legit excited to see the later-on Project Eternity goals happen, like the stronghold and the second Athkatla-sized hub city. I don't really think any of the stretch goals here are capable of generating hype.

While i currently agree PE had more desirable and recognizable goals i think the Castoff area sounds pretty awesome in how it could grow. But it is kind of the one really interesting thing we know of right now. I mean they have described some nice locations and some of the lore sounds very interesting but they dont have that singular stretch goal presence PE did. Honestly it doesnt seem to be making a big difference though as this is tracking right with PE.

I don't know what to tell you guys. We have detailed the locations we're adding, have outlines for every companion tho we didn't reveal them as people asked us not to, have a pretty original idea going in the Castoff's Labyrinth, and detailed the antagonistic cults we're adding, as well as a list of specific team member expansion we had set up (you can't frantically get a writer on board in a day or two), and we already had Linux and Mac, as well as adding new rewards like PS:T dev diaries, PS:T commentary play-through and more novellas, and obviously we have more stretch goals yet to come. We had a longer run-up period and it showed with a more polished pitch and much more fleshed out updates than any of our predecessors like WL2 or PE had at this stage, if you do a day-by-day comparison.

I know it's easy to commentate from the sideline, but I'm still a little baffled by how much you guys are sneering at this. This isn't my first rodeo so I know people will always complain about stretch goals, but do specifically outlined areas and cults really compare negatively to PE, which couldn't offer any details about what class or race they would add since they hadn't begun the initial design of the game yet? Be realistic, here.

As for "more game", it's just a reminder that all money goes straight into fleshing out the game no matter what else a stretch goal lists. People tend to forget that and think the stretch goal list is all they get, so it seems worthwhile to remind people?

Some of this commentary is a little frustrating for me to read, as you may imagine.

I am saddened though to see on their stretch goal page that the top voted feature (2d backgrounds) is not labeled under 'considering'. I dont know, only way id buy that is if they show 3d environments that look like they can hold their own against the 2d stuff.

They haven't gone through them yet so no ideas except those submitted by the team itself have been marked "considering".

~Kinggi~

Banned
I don't know what to tell you guys. We have detailed the locations we're adding, have outlines for every companion tho we didn't reveal them as people asked us not to, have a pretty original idea going in the Castoff's Labyrinth, and detailed the antagonistic cults we're adding, as well as a list of specific team expansions to announce, and we already had Linux and Mac, as well as adding new rewards like PS:T dev diaries, PS:T commentary play-through and more novellas. We had a longer run-up period and it showed with a more polished pitch and much more fleshed out updates than any of our predecessors like WL2 or PE had at this stage.

I know it's easy to commentate from the sideline, but I'm still a little baffled by how much you guys are sneering at this. This isn't my first rodeo so I know people will always complain about stretch goals, but do specifically outlined areas and cults really compare negatively to PE, which couldn't offer any details about what class or race they would add since they hadn't begun the initial design of the game yet? Be realistic, here.

People care a lot so they also criticize a lot, most of which is unfair to you guys but dont go nuts and have a mental breakdown like that Dyack guy or whatever he was. We would be all sad and stuff. lulz.

But it is a little odd. For instance, in your quote you just mentioned the cults again and i instantly remembered it as being a good idea i really like alongside the Castoff area. But it was odd i already forgot about it. I think its just a lot of the stretch goals have been bundled together and placed within large text descriptions people aren't instantly identifying with them as much. But we are Planescape fans so we should know how to read already......

We also really appreciate you posting in here with updates and responses so we wouldn't want to discourage you from any of that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Brother None, the criticisms are constructive and coming from people mostly invested in the project already, who are looking for it to be successful as possible so that the most can be made from it. Just about everyone in here is excited for a faithful Torment sequel with an all-star writing team. I don't think there's much sneering going down, just critiques and satire. Toughen that skin and don't go for the pity plea ;b

But it is a little odd. For instance, in your quote you just mentioned the cults again and i instantly remembered it as being a good idea i really like alongside the Castoff area. But it was odd i already forgot about it. I think its just a lot of the stretch goals have been bundled together and placed within large text descriptions people aren't instantly identifying with them as much. But we are Planescape fans so we should know how to read already......

There's lots to criticize. I think the huge bundled stretch goals definitely look odd, and I get criticism there. Most of that long-stride business has to do with the frantic initial days though. As I said, we were fairly well-prepared, but not exactly for hitting the goal in 6 hours (I mean...jeeesh), and it just kept looking like if we did 250K goals they'd be gone by the time we got em up, haha, so long goals instead, it was probably just one step too far to go up to $3 million with 'em, but I think the 2.75 goal helped off-set that.

It's not like there's a lack of interesting stretch goals still to come either. We've slowed down to a reasonable pace, higher than I expected it to be at this stage in fact ($50K-ish, I expected more 30-40K-ish), so keep that pace in mind and plan forward to the ending spike. I don't like holding "must-have" stuff like classes hostage and it doesn't work that way in Numenera anyway, but there's plenty of things we'd like to do but still need to expand the budget for.

I still think player housing/stronghold just isn't very interesting. But I know a lot of RPG fans love that stuff.

Brother None, the criticisms are constructive and coming from people mostly invested in the project already, who are looking for it to be successful as possible so that the most can be made from it. Just about everyone in here is excited for a faithful Torment sequel with an all-star writing team. I don't think there's much sneering going down, just critiques and satire. Toughen that skin and don't go for the pity plea ;b

Thanks. I didn't mean to go for a pity plea or anything, I was just being honest. I don't think "this is boring as shit" or calling Kevin stupid is constructive criticism. But I'm not really looking to engage on that, this is your forums, behave as you will, but let's not call a goose a chicken and pretend that's constructive, heh.

injurai

Banned

There will always be a disconnect between those that ask a lot and those that give a lot.

Honestly we should be more constructive in our angle when dealing directly with the devs.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I still think player housing/stronghold just isn't very interesting. But I know a lot of RPG fans love that stuff.

Someone made the point that people have already played through a variety of variations on those goals no matter how boring they are so they instantly identify with them more, whereas a place like Castoff is a unique area and so someone may not be aware of the possibilities because they havent lived them already.

Cheers.

There will always be a disconnect between those that ask a lot and those that give a lot.

Honestly we should be more constructive in our angle when dealing directly with the devs.
Nah. I'm mostly a passive observer and here to clarify things, don't change anything on my account. Just, hmmm, try to be realistic about things, and realize stretch goals aren't just about grabbing as much money as you can, they have to be realistic representations of your budget and of things you can accomplish at that funding amount, and it has to be well-represented. That means it takes a lot of work. Hell, no secret, Kickstarter takes a lot of work period! And I'm kind of glad of that, you have to have a good idea and put a ton of work in to really make it go, and that filters out the uninteresting and uncommitted.

Someone made the point that people have already played through a variety of variations on those goals no matter how boring they are so they instantly identify with them more, whereas a place like Castoff is a unique area and so someone may not be aware of the possibilities because they havent lived them already.
Yeah well, boring instantly identifiable stuff doesn't really work with this game, haha.

There's lots to criticize. I think the huge bundled stretch goals definitely look odd, and I get criticism there. Most of that long-stride business has to do with the frantic initial days though. As I said, we were fairly well-prepared, but not exactly for hitting the goal in 6 hours (I mean...jeeesh), and it just kept looking like if we did 250K goals they'd be gone by the time we got em up, haha, so long goals instead, it was probably just one step too far to go up to $3 million with 'em, but I think the 2.75 goal helped off-set that.

It's not like there's a lack of interesting stretch goals still to come either. We've slowed down to a reasonable pace, higher than I expected it to be at this stage in fact ($50K-ish, I expected more 30-40K-ish), so keep that pace in mind and plan forward to the ending spike. I don't like holding "must-have" stuff like classes hostage and it doesn't work that way in Numenera anyway, but there's plenty of things we'd like to do but still need to expand the budget for.

This is the major problem, but you've added 250k goals now to kinda deal with it, so everything is alright.
Like you said, there are probably a lot of things you you have in mind, and so long as you can divide those things up into 250/125k budget "chunks" it'll lead to more stretch goals being fulfilled - which makes for a more exciting progress than waiting for days until a major milestone is reached.

With that said, nothing wrong with keeping major milestones at 3 millions, 3.5 millions, 4 millions, and so on.

inm8num2

I don't think "this is boring as shit" ...is constructive criticism. But I'm not really looking to engage on that, this is your forums, behave as you will, but let's not call a goose a chicken and pretend that's constructive, heh.

Those were my words, so I apologize. I certainly didn't mean them uber-seriously. I was being partially facetious, but I guess what I really meant to say was, "I hope we can learn more specifics about the added content."

But looking at the stretch goals again, it's laid out more clearly than I first perceived.

duckroll

I think it's important to just realize that since most of us have already contributed to the campaign and are considering raising the pledge towards the end of the campaign, it's healthy to look at what is presented and critique stuff if we feel it can be clearer or presented in a better way. Ultimately we're talking about people putting down full price or more for a game which isn't even in development yet, so I think it's good to be a little skeptical and loud.

The campaign has already succeeded, and now everyone just wants to be reassured that it's going to go in the direction they would like, and also that it gets as much funding as possible to make the best game possible. Most of these Kickstarter concepts are one shots. If they're messed up or disappointing, it's going to be really unfortunate. No one wants that!

Anywaaaaaay...

Personally, I don't care for player housing in Torment either. It would just distract from the core concepts of the game, and honestly who gives a shit about housing and shit in a game where you are an immortal on a quest of self discovery? I'm totally hyped for the stronghold stuff in Project Eternity because it fits the scope of the game perfectly, especially with a player created party, and a "grand" sort of adventure in a high fantasy region.

I'll rather see extra resources go into more personalized supporting side-stories with quest chains of their own, like each party member having a meaningful and unique quest chain which develops the character more, reveals more about their past, and then unlocks additional abilities for that party member at the end of the quest, maybe different abilities depending on how you resolved it, or maybe you can even choose to completely abandon/kill that party member during the quest and gain some advantage for yourself instead.

Who knows, maybe something like that is already planned in the core game? *cough*

Zeliard

Brother None, rest assured we're all huge fans of Torment here (or at least the more handsome among us) and pretty invested in seeing this project be as great as it can be. I'm sure most of the people here are simply lightly joking with some of the snarkier comments.

I think one of the issues is, as you noted, that the goals were spread a bit too far apart. It could have been more effective in keeping momentum going to have smaller increments, especially since it would have also offered an opportunity to showcase each new addition more individually.

And boo @ people complaining about releasing companion info. No harm in knowing some of the basics, at least for a few of them. :>

And yes, no stronghold. Sorry Lore. :p

I think an airship could work in the game.
Make it a limited display of oddities and items you collected, weave it into the story line a bit (so you don't always have access to the ship for an example).

For added tension, make it crash. Or increase the risk of being detected by the angel of death, the longer you stay in one place (e.g. the more you use the ship).

But I'm fine without one, I agree with the criticism.

duckroll

I'm not really sure how an airship would work in this game. What would it do? Where would it go? Is the world even going to be separated by geographical distance? Or does it use portals and dreams/visions as a means of expanding environments? All I can think of when I hear airship is a JRPG World Map, and I dunno if I want that in a Torment game!

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think an airship could work in the game.
Make it a limited display of oddities and items you collected, weave it into the story line a bit (so you don't always have access to the ship for an example).

For added tension, make it crash. Or increase the risk of being detected by the angel of death, the longer you stay in one place (e.g. the more you use the ship).

But I'm fine without one, I agree with the criticism.

I like these ideas. I need airships. Final Fantasy had airships when it was good and they made MILLIONS. Just think of all the monies.

I'm not really sure how an airship would work in this game. What would it do? Where would it go? Is the world even going to be separated by geographical distance? Or does it use portals and dreams/visions as a means of expanding environments? All I can think of when I hear airship is a JRPG World Map, and I dunno if I want that in a Torment game!

If we get some zippers up in here we could revolutionize the WRPG forever.

Neat comments, duckroll and SquiddyBiscuit. And yeah, expect some smaller chunks and steps, plus the way the Labyrinth works helps, with every 3000 backers adding a fathom (yes we like weirdly inappropriate terminology).

Housing is an odd one. There's some weird ways you can do it where it fits into the setting, but definitely the "comfy house/stronghold" one doesn't fit that well. The weirder the better, including airships.

Those were my words, so I apologize. I certainly didn't mean them uber-seriously. I was being partially facetious, but I guess what I really meant to say was, "I hope we can learn more specifics about the added content."

But looking at the stretch goals again, it's laid out more clearly than I first perceived

No worries.

Graphic representations will help. And part of this is just getting further along the Kickstarter, as we show more from our documentation and talk more about gameplay and narrative elements. Can't info-dump everything in one go.

You could integrate it into the plot (why is there a magical airship flying around? why is it here? Is it safe to use?), use it as a means of travelling between particularly distant areas geographically (basically function as an general area transition rather than quick travel), and store all your oddities and whatnot as a form of non-intrusive in-game achievements.

It doesn't really need to stay perfectly safe, as you could have it come under attack when you least expect - making usage of it a bit of a risk.

Zeliard

Houses/strongholds in these games don't generally do a whole lot for me, but if they want to add a player house in the form of a large menacing airship that stalks the skies and periodically mucks with the fabric of space-time, I'm totally cool with that.

Neat comments, duckroll and SquiddyBiscuit. And yeah, expect some smaller chunks and steps, plus the way the Labyrinth works helps, with every 3000 backers adding a fathom (yes we like weirdly inappropriate terminology).

Housing is an odd one. There's some weird ways you can do it where it fits into the setting, but definitely the "comfy house/stronghold" one doesn't fit that well. The weirder the better, including airships.

No worries.

Graphic representations will help. And part of this is just getting further along the Kickstarter, as we show more from our documentation and talk more about gameplay and narrative elements. Can't info-dump everything in one go.

really appreciate your constant updates man :)
can't wait for more insights

FACE

Banned
Aren't you being hunted? I don't think a comfy house would fit.

Brother None, any idea about mod tools? I'm ready, willing and able to up my pledge as soon as mod tools are announced.

"Thanks for the link to Monte Cook's blog entry about Cyphers, Oddities and such, Brother None - it was a great read. "

Could you produce a link for me, please?

Eusis

As for "more game", it's just a reminder that all money goes straight into fleshing out the game no matter what else a stretch goal lists. People tend to forget that and think the stretch goal list is all they get, so it seems worthwhile to remind people?
My bad, I was speculating that maybe something more specific would've hyped people up and MY personal misgivings were more that you'd literally make the game that much bigger... but bigger isn't necessarily better, and I want it polished more than just wanting it bigger. But from the way you're talking about it I'm guessing polish IS just as much of that "gamplay is increased" as making more or larger areas.

Also, I think for the more serious cynicism just look at Richard Garriott's Kickstarter. I'm hoping for the best there, but I have far more misgivings with that than this, my biggest serious one is "where is Chris Avellone?", and the answer to that is "writing mountains of text for Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity" so there's not really much to do except clone him or something.

Zeliard

5.5 million stretch goal: Tetsuya Nomura joins the team as a guest designer for backer exclusive costumes for the main character and all companions.

The game would already be at 450% more gameplay then, we don't want to risk overloading it with too much awesome.

Brother None, any idea about mod tools? I'm ready, willing and able to up my pledge as soon as mod tools are announced.

"Thanks for the link to Monte Cook's blog entry about Cyphers, Oddities and such, Brother None - it was a great read. "

Could you produce a link for me, please?

Sure, here you go.

Eusis

I'd actually enjoy a mix of japanese aesthetics with western RPG game design.
I considered making a joke about uncovering a Japanese clothing store for some modern day fashion, but seriously? While I'm sure a light level of that would be nice with some games I don't see it being necessary here, I really like the art they're showing as it is.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
IMO, best way to launch a potential hideout/base is to involve quest hooks in both gaining the ship itself (or choosing not to) and once there establish interesting sidequests that utilize the space, or the safety as a launch point for establishing a different vibe and unlocking subsequent new information tiers, or use the movement it gives to provide new areas with related sidequests, and keep any 'upgrade' style quests rewarding enough yet challenging enough to do them without potentially overpowering things.

Not very simple, I suppose, but I would definitely like it.

In any case, definitely looking forward to seeing more updates and stretch goals being met.

Yip

It's under consideration but it's a bit different in a story-heavy cRPG compared to a game like Wasteland 2 that gives a more open, silly world to tool around with (in how you prioritize it). It's on the table as "under consideration" is all I can say at this stage, really.

but bigger isn't necessarily better, and I want it polished more than just wanting it bigger. But from the way you're talking about it I'm guessing polish IS just as much of that "gamplay is increased" as making more or larger areas.
Yes. Budget is just as much for testing and QA consideration (though crowdsourcing the beta helps a lot there) as it is for the design part of it, especially when it comes to reactivity. I can see how percentages are a weird representation of it tho.

Also, I think for the more serious cynicism just look at Richard Garriott's Kickstarter.
I saw his interview on RPS, read the comments and just kept wincing throughout. Owtch.

I'm hoping for the best there, but I have far more misgivings with that then this, my biggest serious one is "where is Chris Avellone?", and the answer to that is "writing mountains of text for Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity" so there's not really much to do except clone him or something.
Hiring the A-Team to kidnap him is also still on the table as a stretch goal.

zkylon

zkylewd
I considered making a joke about uncovering a Japanese clothing store for some modern day fashion, but seriously? While I'm sure a light level of that would be nice with some games I don't see it being necessary here, I really like the art they're showing as it is.
oh I'm obviously not saying it as related to torment, just a thing I'd probably like to see.

sometimes wrpgs lack a strong visual identy, which is something that jrpgs have in spades (though they can be very samey, sometimes), so I'd just like to see a mix of both, that's it.

IMO, best way to launch a potential hideout/base is to involve quest hooks in both gaining the ship itself (or choosing not to) and once there establish interesting sidequests that utilize the space, or the safety as a launch point for establishing a different vibe and unlocking subsequent new information tiers, or use the movement it gives to provide new areas with related sidequests, and keep any 'upgrade' style quests rewarding enough yet challenging enough to do them without potentially overpowering things.

Not very simple, I suppose, but I would definitely like it.

In any case, definitely looking forward to seeing more updates and stretch goals being met.

I like the sound of that.

Basically, treat the airship as a companion (heck, it could even be talking to you) with its own optional side quests and part of the main story, that you can lose or improve under certain conditions.

So long as it isn't really a hideout/safebase (don't put any vendors or upgrade stations or anything like that on it, and ensure that there is an element of risk involved in using the ship - whether in the form of the angel of death or airship pirates) or will enable some sort of quick map travel (make it a long-distance travel device as part of the plot, or between two remote larger continents/islands/etc) then I think it'll be fine as essentially a big oddity with a couple of uses.

FACE

Banned
It's under consideration but it's a bit different in a story-heavy cRPG compared to a game like Wasteland 2 that gives a more open, silly world to tool around with (in how you prioritize it). It's on the table as "under consideration" is all I can say at this stage, really.

I see, thanks for the answer. 2D backgrounds would cause a significant increase in my pledge amount and in other things I'd rather not mention. :)

epmode

I saw his interview on RPS

That interview got me to drop the project, not that I was enthusiastic about it in the first place.

The best part is when he talks about how he is investing millions of his own money into some crappy social game, but haha, he NEEDS Kickstarter for a spiritual sequel to one of the most influential RPGs ever made.

Grym

Just a general question as I haven't funded or followed many gaming projects on Kickstarter: will the physical add-on reward designs (t-shirts and poster) be unveiled during the pledge period to boost the pledge totals? I'd be potentially interested in upping my pledge for that kind of stuff but not without seeing the designs first...

Top Bottom