• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

This is how I felt when these CRPG and Adventure game Kickstarters appeared, I had completely given up on seeing anything like them again.
Something something about being thirsty in the desert only to be greeted by THE BEST WATERSELLERS EVER.

TommyT

First time seeing/hearing about this and I'm pretty shocked (in a good way). Would love to have a bunch of the physical collectors stuff!

$275 backing looks like the way to go!

Hmmm, but it sounds so appealing....if they could work that to their advantage where you could commit suicide or something to enter it when you want...I mean i could see a lot people wanting to explore it and get the extra items and stuff.

There will be other ways to enter it. And maybe the experience of entering it without dying will be different. Possibilities are endless.

robin2

I really really hope this will be 2D. It would be able to portray those scenarios infinitely better than a live Wasteland 2-like live 3D*

* which I though it was good, but the 2D approach simply blows it away in this case.

I really really hope this will be 2D. It would be able to portray those scenarios infinitely better than a live Wasteland 2-like live 3D*

* which I though it was good, but the 2D approach simply blows it away in this case.

I'm pretty sure they will opt for the 2D.
It is a "considered" stretch goal on the stretch goal forum.

injurai

Banned
2D pre-rendered art and SHARED UNITY DEVELOPMENT WITH PROJECT ETERNITY as a 4.5 million goal.
Then save 5 million for avellone.

I'd rather Avellone's attention to not be divided between two projects as a PE supportor. I think they have plenty of talent surrounding Torment.

I'm pretty sure they will opt for the 2D.
It is a "considered" stretch goal on the stretch goal forum.

Also the most voted upon stretch goal.

Perkel

Banned
Mass Effect 2 is better than Mass Effect 1.

ME1 was boring with pew pew missions and interesting world and story, mediacore "journey"
ME2 was all pew pew, wasn't boring but story was shit, good "journey"
ME3 was even more pew pew, was't boring at all but story was even bigger shit good "journey"

Gorgon

I know we are getting a bit off topic, but the art and thematic direction in ME1 was impeccalble. I heralded it as the next great sci-fi world. 2 pretty quickly crushed all those aesthetic and design choices.

It boggles my mind how someone can say this. Unless you mean by CRPG standards only (but then again that just shows the sorry state in which this industry finds itself).

Violet_0

Banned
Mass Effect is a pretty great game (maybe not a great RPG), I played it before and after ME2 and I still like it. The corridor cover shooter gameplay has gotten rather stale in the sequels though and the roleplaying elements are a bit underdeveloped. And, well, Bioware writing. The universe isn't so bad though aside from the Reapers sillyness and blue sexy alien race

Is this a Mass Effect thread now?

I never finished Mass Effect, it just couldn't engage my attention, so I dropped it. Mass Effect 2 pretty much gave up on trying to be an RPG but at least the shooting mechanics were fun enough, so I did finish that one. Never even bothered to pick up ME3.

The whole overarching storyline with the Reapers is quite bad and I don't think they properly planned it out. To my mind, ME3 should have been about doing everything you can to safeguard data and maybe some survivors for the oncoming Reaper storm, since their extermination methods are hardly all-encompassing. You spent two games highlighting how unbeatable the Reapers are, so make the third about the desperate struggle to maintain shreds of technology and sapient species rather than about turret sectioning reapers single-handed.

Maybe that's just me tho.

injurai

Banned
Is this a Mass Effect thread now?

I never finished Mass Effect, it just couldn't engage my attention, so I dropped it. Mass Effect 2 pretty much gave up on trying to be an RPG but at least the shooting mechanics were fun enough, so I did finish that one. Never even bothered to pick up ME3.

The whole overarching storyline with the Reapers is quite bad and I don't think they properly planned it out. To my mind, ME3 should have been about doing everything you can to safeguard data and maybe some survivors for the oncoming Reaper storm, since their extermination methods are hardly all-encompassing. You spent two games highlighting how unbeatable the Reapers are, so make the third about the desperate struggle to maintain shreds of technology and sapient species rather than about turret sectioning reapers single-handed.

Maybe that's just me tho.

1 had a great story in my opinion, but it was more of the world and peripheral experience that really made it great.

They killed the series when the made it all uncharted in space and removed the Mako.

Anyways to get back on topic, how far through pre-production are you guys?

will we see screens by the end of the campaign?
Screens of Mass Effect?

>_<

Ok ok fine.

Well, the production team is mostly on Wasteland 2, the Torment team is concept artists and writers mostly, not modelers and animators and programmers. We'd like to show you as much as we can, but don't count on anything yet.

Anyways to get back on topic, how far through pre-production are you guys?
Not far. Can't give an exact estimate, but the team up until this point was very small, and will only expand as Kickstarter funds come rolling in (which is a while after the drive closes)

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't get how 2D can be a stretch goal, it's not a simple thing that you add, it's a huge design decision that could either work for or against the game, I'd rather that decision was made by the actual developers rather than just "bribe" them to do it.

I do think 2D makes sense in the Torment context since there's not much need for tactical information, etc., since you're gonna be pretty much talking all the time.

Do you have updated PayPal numbers Brother None?
Nope.

I don't get how 2D can be a stretch goal, it's not a simple thing that you add, it's a huge design decision that could either work for or against the game.
Not really. The gameplay difference between static 3D camera and pre-rendering and handpainting the 3D backgrounds is pretty much nihil, and it doesn't really affect the interface or tactical information in any way. It's really mostly a cost thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not really. The gameplay difference between static 3D camera and pre-rendering and handpainting the 3D backgrounds is pretty much nihil, and it doesn't really affect the interface or tactical information in any way. It's really mostly a cost thing.
You know what, you're right.

I had this idea in my head like 5 minutes ago that X-COM would've been completely different if I wasn't able to rotate the camera, then I remembered the old one. weird

You have to dream bigger, Squiddy.

Avellone and 2D are the 10 million goals.

10 million: Torment and Project Eternity is mashed up into one massive game.

EDIT: That mind fortress suggestion really took off. I do agree with some of the criticism though, but it's applicable to the labyrinth itself.
My solution is to change the danger when you're in the "mind"-world - from an external threat (The Angel of Death) to an internal one (Your own nightmares and darkest thoughts).

Dr.Acula

Banned
I don't get how 2D can be a stretch goal, it's not a simple thing that you add, it's a huge design decision that could either work for or against the game, I'd rather that decision was made by the actual developers rather than just "bribe" them to do it.

Reaaally? So even if it were 2D, you'd just model everything 3D first and go ahead and "paint" it 2D after?

Wow. I'm hoping you hit that goal then. I'd thought it'd be a bigger problem than 'just throw money at it.'

Edit: I'm an idiot, this is the KS that's in pre-production, move along, me.

I'm not a big fan of mergers (yes I know it's a joke), I dig both Obsidian and inXile working on old-school RPGs (as well as others, Shadowrun Returns gameplay vid looked so good)

BrotherNone beer money stretch goal, anyone?

I could use it.

Reaaally? So even if it were 2D, you'd just model everything 3D first and go ahead and "paint" it 2D after?

That's how the 2D process for Infinity Engine (Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment) and Project Eternity works: you render the objects in good detail in 3D, create an image out of that, and then "hand-paint" over the image for the final background. The models and effects on top of it are still 3D.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh mitsoda. Nice. That'll help keep things ticking over.

Fargo being nice about losing the quickest to $1 million to the Veronica Mars kickstarter.

Wait...what? They had a Kickstarter for that show?

Have, its kinda doing well.

The fuck? They couldn't get funding from Lionsgate or some shit? Lol.

I was just thinking how does a kick-starter movie work, and this is it! Kickstart a reboot of some fan thing fans are crazy for, and yet doesn't need a huge budget.

Guys... will you all pitch on my Buckaroo Banzai KS? For 100 bucks Peter Weller serenades you as you attempt to blow your brains out (limit:1000).

My version may run long...

Violet_0

Banned
I wish they'd include something similar to the Inn/NPC party tier from Project Eternity that would allow the backers to design a tiny part of the game. I'd chime in immediately

Top Bottom