• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Miletius

I wish they'd include something similar to the Inn/NPC party tier from Project Eternity that would allow the backers to design a tiny part of the game. I'd chime in immediately

In this case I'm actually fine with them not including that sort of thing (as cool as it would be). If they want to keep a focused and thematically consistent narrative it's sometimes better not to include these type of fan-service-y elements.

No matter how cleverly disguised the NeoGAF inn is still going to straddle the line between being in character and out, only because it's designed to be a nod to a group of donors. I'm ok with that in PE because of the more generic fantasy nature of it, not as much in Torment because I want them to focus on building a narrative without being hampered by having tie in a lot of things to backers. Even more so because I don't trust all backers to have the same level of care as writers. Not to slam backers, of course, writers are supposed to do this sort of thing for a living.

It's kind of like the restored content in the torment restoration packs. The creators obviously meant well but it was totally awful by the standards of the rest of the game.

Lime

Been playing through PS:T again thanks to this KS:

torment2013-03-1422-5pnsc6.png

torment2013-03-1422-065ssn.png

I think the way PE is doing it is by rendering their 3D environment/model in multiple 2D resolutions - ranging from 600p to 1200p.
I wonder if you could create some sort of "zoom" function despite the game being 2D.

In this case I'm actually fine with them not including that sort of thing (as cool as it would be). If they want to keep a focused and thematically consistent narrative it's sometimes better not to include these type of fan-service-y elements.

Yip. It's easier to handle with Wasteland 2 as that setting is crazy anyway, and even with Eternity you could argue there's more flexibility, but with this one consistency had to come first, hence the reduction in possibilities for in-game design and the big notices of "subject to approval and editing" everywhere.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I downloaded Planescape: Torment and installed all the recommended mods.
28616388.jpg

I've sort of just been walking around aimlessly in the Mortuary. Last productive thing I did was talk to Deionarra who made it sound like an exit could be anything. The Nameless One said to talk to Dustmen which is kind hard since I seem to end up fighting them on every encounter. I was disappointed to find Dhall didn't have anymore insight.

I have mixed feelings about my experience so far. I see the appeal but its age alongside that.

I doubt Veronica Mars had much of a negative impact. Kicktraq has us at 30K so far today which is ok. It's not great, but it's fine at this point, tomorrow new awesome art goes up and hopefully much more, so let's give it another kick.

Remember, it does depend on you guys spreading the word! Haha, I feel so lame and marketing-y when saying that, but it's true.

Deal!
If Avellone is not a stretch goal, I shall refrain from the silver tide my first play through.
If Avellone is included though, you'll give up the red.

Haha. You guys are hilarious.

FACE

Banned
Got to wonder what type of impact that has had. You'd think it would add awareness but maybe people switched their pledges over to that.

Specially since it was featured in a lot of big websites.

It bums me out a bit that it made 3mill that fast and Torment is stuck at 2.6 mill because I don't really care about Veronica Mars :p

Lime

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/28616388.jpg[IMG]
I've sort of just been walking around aimlessly in the Mortuary. Last productive thing I did was talk to Deionarra who made it sound like an exit could be anything. The Nameless One said to talk to Dustmen which is kind hard since I seem to end up fighting them on every encounter. I was disappointed to find Dhall didn't have anymore insight.

I have mixed feelings about my experience so far. I see the appeal but its age alongside that.[/QUOTE]

To the right of Deionarra there should be a portal of some sort. The game starts going once you've entered Sigil.

Also remember to approach it like a visual novel with really good writing and nice level art. Just bathe in the nice, comfortable, impressive writing.

It bums me out a bit that it made 3mill that fast and Torment is stuck at 2.6 mill because I don't really care about Veronica Mars :p

Heh. A super-weird, text-vomiting old-school RPG vs a resurrection of a much-loved cult series figure-headed by a cute blond that is worshiped by her fans.

Yeah :p

Nah seriously, good for them. It's just in another ballpark so nothing to get miffed about. I am curious to see if the normal "Kickstarter curves" will apply to them though, considering their otherworldly level of exposure.

FACE

Banned
Heh. A super-weird, text-vomiting old-school RPG vs a resurrection of a much-loved cult series figure-headed by a cute blond that is worshiped by her fans.

Yeah :p

Nah seriously, good for them. It's just in another ballpark so nothing to get miffed about. I am curious to see if the normal "Kickstarter curves" will apply to them though, considering their otherworldly level of exposure.

Probably, their second day has been considerably slower.

I still see Torment beating PE's total if you guys have a comparable last week bump.

Edit: Screw PE's total. If Roberts could get 6 million with a broken website, so can you :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hollywood media and celebs are like, another world from where Kickstarter projects normally are. Im not at all surprised at the success, even though i think its a bit ridiculous since its a lot harder to quantify the amount of KS money goes towards an actors salary. Unless one of the rules is to make it all transparent. Obscene amount of money is spent just to get an actor to appear on set and utter a few words.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
To the right of Deionarra there should be a portal of some sort. The game starts going once you've entered Sigil.

Also remember to approach it like a visual novel with really good writing and nice level art. Just bathe in the nice, comfortable, impressive writing.
Not seeing a portal. All I'm finding are giant skeletons that kick my ass.

Eh, the Zero Escape games provide that in a more straightforward fashion.

zkylon

zkylewd
Specially since it was featured in a lot of big websites.

2.6 is still almost thrice the original asking money.

everyone's happy

Instro

28616388.jpg

I have mixed feelings about my experience so far. I see the appeal but its age alongside that.

It takes a bit of getting into, it was the same for me. The general systems are pretty unintuitive, your inventory fills up with stuff that has little or no discernible use, magic doesn't really make any sense, etc. There are multiple ways out of the Mortuary, so its not a big deal how you do it.

Theonik

I already pledged for Wasteland 2 so...
Until that is done I don't see how I can pledge on another project by them.

Beren

Been playing through PS:T again thanks to this KS:

torment2013-03-1422-5pnsc6.png

I wish i could play , my old BG SoA runs really nice but Planescape keeps crashing and then i get "windows explorer has stopped working" forever and i have to reboot the PC, i believe is something with my 5970 :(

I hope Tides of Numenera is an awesome game i would love to see a screenie :3

FACE

Banned
explain this veronica mars thing in the meanwhile I somehow missed that.

It was a TV show that was popular on the internet, but not actually popular so it got cancelled a few years ago(kinda like firefly). Yesterday they've launched a kickstarter campaign for a movie and it was incredibly succesful, it even broke Torment's "fastest to 1 million" record.

It was a TV show that was popular on the internet, but not actually popular so it got cancelled a few years ago(kinda like firefly). Yesterday they've launched a kickstarter campaign for a movie and it was incredibly succesful, it even broke Torment's "fastest to 1 million" record.

I see. thanks very much

Top Bottom