• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

DTKT

Sentient bioship companion

And you can summon him in combat to lay waste. Torment had extravagant 12-minute long Final Fantasy spells, after all. ;)

It should also have a sexy silver body it could "transfer" itself into. You could also romance that body.

nbthedude

I know it's easy to commentate from the sideline, but I'm still a little baffled by how much you guys are sneering at this. This isn't my first rodeo so I know people will always complain about stretch goals, but do specifically outlined areas and cults really compare negatively to PE, which couldn't offer any details about what class or race they would add since they hadn't begun the initial design of the game yet? Be realistic, here.

I think I offered examples of the types of things you can include even before design stages is complete and remain genuine. Others have done it. It is not impossible.

As for "more game", it's just a reminder that all money goes straight into fleshing out the game no matter what else a stretch goal lists. People tend to forget that and think the stretch goal list is all they get, so it seems worthwhile to remind people?

Some of this commentary is a little frustrating for me to read, as you may imagine.

I don't have any problem with saying you will be able to add more to the game. But saying stuff like 150% gameplay and then followed by 175% gameplay just sounds like completely made up numbers. How do you even quantify "gameplay"? Where are these percentages even coming from if they aren't just marketing speak? It seems like they are just pulled from thin air. Similarly saying the story gets "deeper" with every goal also seems insincere. What in the world does the amount of money have to do with how "deep" the story is? What does the word "deep" even mean in this context? Is it being used as a synonym for a larger script? If so, that is a terrible usage of the word "deep."

I apologize if I came off as overly snarky. I just don't appreciate empty marketing speak. If it makes you feel any better. i get similarly annoyed by empty political platitudes when politicians use them.

Zeliard

It should also have a sexy silver body it could "transfer" itself into. You could also romance that body.

When we start invoking Bioware is when I think this thread has truly crossed the line.

Not to mention EatChildren might get a signal and come in here and start threatening to talk about Mass Effect novels. Let's be spared from that, please.

While we continue the ME-hate, I'd just like to highlight how awesome the labyrinth sounds (a lot of information gets lost in walls of text, sorry Torment-guys!):

We will also implement the Castoff’s Labyrinth. Death in Torment will not be the same as “game over,” and there’s more to it this time than waking up in a mortuary. Your body is mostly immortal. Your consciousness, on the other hand, is a twisted place. When you die, your consciousness travels somewhere else, to a labyrinth of the mind.

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a strange realm, a dreamlike maze of jungles, stairways, tunnels, and ruined cities. It’s your mind, but you wouldn’t know it from all that’s in here (I mean, what the hell is that dead, tentacled thing the size of a mountain range?). When you die in the game, you could always just reload, or maybe find the easy way out of the maze and back to your body. But you’d be missing out – it’s our goal to make gameplay after death compelling enough that you won’t even think about reloading.

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a bizarre and interesting gameplay area, one of haunting exploration and discovery. As it grows, its secrets become deeper and more complex. Its depths are called Fathoms, and each brings new secrets and -- for the determined -- new rewards. What types of secrets and rewards? One will be lost cyphers: Each time you die, a new cypher (a single-use numenera) appears in the Labyrinth that you can take back with you. As the Labyrinth gets bigger, more of these random cyphers will become available the deeper you go. More types of secrets are attached to upcoming Stretch Goals, some of which are described below.

For every 3000 Backers beyond 45,000 (roughly when the $2.5m Stretch Goal was reached), we will extend the Castoff’s Labyrinth by one Fathom. So at 48,000 Backers, we’ll be at Fathom 2, at 51,000 Fathom 3, etc. (As of this writing, we are well on the way to Fathom 2!) Each Fathom adds deeper playable content and reactivity, and more of the features reached through the Stretch Goals (e.g., like increased quantity and complexity of the Reflections discussed below).

Yeah, visual representations might help things.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The labyrinth is in fact a wonderful idea. I very much like that.

The key will be finding the right balance though of it not becoming a played out gimmick after you die for the 50th time. It needs to be this thing both easily bypassed and easily accessible when folk want to try it out. I dont mean accessible as in dumbed down, just easy to start exploring. The annoyance of entering the labyrinth cant become an issue though, kinda like that "Menu Room" in Fable 3, where eventually it became annoying to physically load a 3d room to access menu options...

Ithil

The key will be finding the right balance though of it not becoming a played out gimmick after you die for the 50th time. It needs to be this thing both easily bypassed and easily accessible when folk want to try it out. I dont mean accessible as in dumbed down, just easy to start exploring. The annoyance of entering the labyrinth cant become an issue though, kinda like that "Menu Room" in Fable 3, where eventually it became annoying to physically load a 3d room to access menu options...

At the same time, you shouldn't make it so appealing that people intentionally get killed to go there over and over.

The way I see it, you need to start out at a random location everytime you get into the labyrinth. You also need some sort of way of quickly traversing through areas you've aleady been in before, or some sort of randomization effect to keep things fresh.
Most importantly though, they need to make it visually engagive and make every Fathom both differ from one another and have plenty of variation within each fathom.

At the same time, you shouldn't make it so appealing that people intentionally get killed to go there over and over.

Oh, that is a good point.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Hmmm, but it sounds so appealing....if they could work that to their advantage where you could commit suicide or something to enter it when you want...I mean i could see a lot people wanting to explore it and get the extra items and stuff. I think its a bad idea to make it intentionally uninteresting just to keep people from wanting to visit lol.

Blackheim

If player housing is decided to be included, it wouldn't have to be an elaborate ship that would require a lot of work to justify its presence inside the game world (as awesome as that might be). Could be something much simpler and easily tied to established devices. Could be something like a permanent reusable cypher that creates a small pocket dimension of sorts obtained from your host. Haven't backed yet, will do so before the end. I need to be sure I'll have the money to throw a them :p

Zeliard

If player housing is decided to be included, it wouldn't have to be an elaborate ship that would require a lot of work to justify its presence inside the game world (as awesome as that might be). Could be something much simpler and easily tied to established devices. Could be something like a permanent reusable cypher that creates a small pocket dimension of sorts obtained from your host. Haven't backed yet, will do so before the end. I need to be sure I'll have the money to throw a them :p

It would be cool if your "house" was actually a tiny little pocket dimension you created for yourself. You'd be like Franklin Richards, making bottle universes.

Adorable.

Purkake4

Banned
I think the main problem at the moment is the slow and heavily text-based(yes, I'm fully aware of the irony here) updates. While Colin is awesome, he talking to a camera isn't enough to keep the buzz going.

All the ideas and explanations in the updates are great, but it could use some flashy new concept art, sketches, diagrams, storyboards, anything that's more show than tell. Make a storyboard(even a fully mock one) to show how the reactivity would work, give specific examples of the legacies(again they don't have to be straight from the game). I think a daily update of even just a piece of music or a random concept picture would go a long way towards keeping the buzz going. At the moment the kickstarter feels very front-loaded.

So yeah, show, don't tell.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, it would be cool if the Labyrinth slowly changed to reflect your choices/tides.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, it would be cool if the Labyrinth slowly changed to reflect your choices/tides.
yes. Make this a stretch goal ( along with 500% MOAR DEEPNESS). im teasing about that second part. Kinda.

I think the main problem at the moment is the slow and heavily text-based(yes, I'm fully aware of the irony here) updates. While Colin is awesome, he talking to a camera isn't enough to keep the buzz going.

All the ideas and explanations in the updates are great, but it could use some flashy new concept art, sketches, diagrams, storyboards, anything that's more show than tell. Make a storyboard(even a fully mock one) to show how the reactivity would work, give specific examples of the legacies(again they don't have to be straight from the game). I think a daily update of even just a piece of music or a random concept picture would go a long way towards keeping the buzz going. At the moment the kickstarter feels very front-loaded.

So yeah, show, don't tell.

Yep, sounds like they are working on some concept art pictures so I'm looking forward to a couple of pictures to make the text easier to read.
For what it's worth, the text I have read is very enjoyable.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'd actually like this.

...assuming those Japanese aesthetics happened to be the ones seen in things like Cowboy Bebop of Ghost in the Shell, rather than the crap we get from Square and whatnot.
There's tons of good shit made in Japan.

More often than not I find western aesthetics to be boring (Fallout and Planescape are rare exceptions), but something like the Megaten games or or Valkyria Chronicles or Nier or whatever would be all kinds of awesome.

Zeliard

What I hope from this game more than anything else is that they don't hold back. They have a perfect opportunity to do some wonderfully bizarre, out-of-the-box stuff - and Numenera seems like it'd be particularly receptive and malleable to that sort of thing - so I hope they won't feel obliged to go with the relatively typical in certain respects in an effort not to alienate some.

I don't imagine it should be a problem when looking at the audience for a new Torment game, as the Planescape setting is renown for its strangeness, but Sawyer's comments about Project Eternity's setting still give me pause. The Torment art released so far is certainly promising, though, as well as character descriptions like the Toy.

Give me all the weird.

Perkel

Banned
zVezz5z.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
I think "housing" in a more abstract way could work if you combine that with the maze. Seeing that is your own psyche from what I have gathered, you could make it a place you frequently visit (not only when you die). Solving some major quests in the "real world" and the way how you do it, could have an impact on how you perceive things, thus alter your own psyche to a degree, reflected in the "housing" zone in the maze. It's also a safe haven, since your hunters can't enter it, making it perfectly reasonable.

I think "housing" in a more abstract way could work if you combine that with the maze. Seeing that is your own psyche from what I have gathered, you could make it a place you frequently visit (not only when you die). Solving some major quests in the "real world" and the way how you do it, could have an impact on how you perceive things, thus alter your own psyche to a degree, reflected in the "housing" zone in the maze. It's also a safe haven, since your hunters can't enter it, making it perfectly reasonable.

This could be a way of dealing with areas you've completed in the maze, yeah.
Instead of randomizing them, (or making you re-do them over and over again), they are kinda transformed into a safe haven inside your head.

You wouldn't be attacked by the angels in there like you say, so it would be "safe", but since it's in your mind you wouldn't be able to drag in your companions in there and have them conveniently wait around for you.

Since it is a bit of a mental-dependent place, you could also turn it into a bestiary/museum of sort, that progressively grows the more you play and the more creatures/people you encounter. As you defeat foes, or help them, or find oddities/powerful cyphers; you create mental images of them in your safe place - that you can peruse and sometimes even converse with.

EDIT:

Combined our posts into a suggestion of sort:

https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...4732-a-fortress-that-exist-in-your-mind-alone

Owensboro

Is Planescape on GOG? If so, how does it run?

How does it run?

Windows 7 here - I followed the steps in that thread on Monday and it has been running perfectly, with 0 problems. The only hitch I ran into was after setting the main screen resolution for the Widescreen Mod. I have a two monitor setup and the game didn't like it when I tried to run it with both monitors working. Solution? I disabled the second monitor and it ran perfectly.

It's worth it, download it. $10 for one of the best CRPGs ever made.

Zukuu

Banned
Instead of randomizing them, (or making you re-do them over and over again), they are kinda transformed into a safe haven inside your head.

You wouldn't be attacked by the angels in there like you say, so it would be "safe", but since it's in your mind you wouldn't be able to drag in your companions in there and have them conveniently wait around for you.

Since it is a bit of a mental-dependent place, you could also turn it into a bestiary/museum of sort, that progressively grows the more you play and the more creatures/people you encounter. As you defeat foes, or help them, or find oddities/powerful cyphers; you create mental images of them in your safe place - that you can peruse and sometimes even converse with.

EDIT:

https://torment.uservoice.com/forum...4732-a-fortress-that-exist-in-your-mind-alone

Awesome. +3 votes from me. I really think this could be something amazing, and would fit well better than the traditional "housing".

FACE

Banned

EDIT:

You could access a Codex from there, that'd be cool.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mass Effect 2 is better than Mass Effect 1.
let's do this!!

Anyway, I'm surprised that they still even consider 3D as a possibility. This elaborate, detailed concept art won't translate well in Unity. So I think prerendered environments are given.

let's do this!!

Anyway, I'm surprised that they still even consider 3D as a possibility. This elaborate, detailed concept art won't translate well in Unity. So I think prerendered environments are given.

better be careful, you can get banned for saying stuff like that.

edit: yeah I really think it's going to be prerendered 2D backgrounds anyway in the end.

FACE

Banned
let's do this!!

That turd didn't smell as bad as the last turd!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
better be careful, you can get banned for saying stuff like that.

edit: yeah I really think it's going to be prerendered 2D backgrounds anyway in the end.

That turd didn't smell as bad as the last turd!

it was a joke, ME1><ME2 debate is so overplayed that it's almost a meme.

Anyway I'd play Mass Effect game done by inXile. And written by Mitsoda!!

injurai

Banned
I know we are getting a bit off topic, but the art and thematic direction in ME1 was impeccalble. I heralded it as the next great sci-fi world. 2 pretty quickly crushed all those aesthetic and design choices.

There is something to be said about working under a level of creative freedom, which is the reason why I happen to be looking forward to more kickstarted games than I am AAA or Indie right now.

Midou

Anyway I'd play Mass Effect game done by inXile. And written by Mitsoda!!

It's kind of funny that ME was one of the first games since like Baldur's Gate (I think?) that they actually made the sequels to and everything. Would have been nice if they passed it on to someone else who could do RPG elements.

Haven't had internet but so much for the past weeks and just found out about this. OH SWEET JESUS OH SWEET JESUS OH SWEET JESUS

Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, and Torment ALL backed with physical copies oh god dreams are somehow developing out of the contemptuous and fickle aether-

Top Bottom