• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

The End

From the PAR article:

“If the planning was done well during the pre-production phase we can be very efficient during production and leave ourselves with plenty of time to iterate and make amazing games. If there is no pre-production done, and the full team is trying to create the design and development plan as they go, months, if not years, are wasted,” the update explains.

“Having a full team try to start a project when the pre-production has not been completed is like stacking up a giant pile of money and lighting it on fire. This same philosophy served us quite well at Interplay in creating some of the best RPGs of all time,” it continues."

Can...someone show this to the guys at Square?

Perkel

Banned
Nexus1 wasn't popular enough for the KS to be a lock, no matter how amazing the first game was. I hope the devs learn from that and retry with a better pitch. I want Nexus2 :mad:

No pitch was just bad and there were almost no updates. 3 updates for whole campain or something like that. It looked like dudes just put video together in a day and posted in on Kickstarter as "maybe it will work".

Even with that bad pitch they reached halfway or more if i remember right.

Midou

From the PAR article:

“If the planning was done well during the pre-production phase we can be very efficient during production and leave ourselves with plenty of time to iterate and make amazing games. If there is no pre-production done, and the full team is trying to create the design and development plan as they go, months, if not years, are wasted,” the update explains.

“Having a full team try to start a project when the pre-production has not been completed is like stacking up a giant pile of money and lighting it on fire. This same philosophy served us quite well at Interplay in creating some of the best RPGs of all time,” it continues."

Can...someone show this to the guys at Square?

Yeah really, eh?

This is a solid management idea that others could certainly benefit from...

Labadal

Well, my pledge is in their pockets now. Lots of backed kickstarter projects now, but mostly from studios or people that I know about.

Kayhan

Just checked the Kickstarter for the pen and paper Numenera rulebook that is the main source for this setting and........it received $517,255 pledged of $20,000 goal.

Thats insane!

Perkel

Banned
Richard Garriott/Lord British's Kickstarter is scheduled to start this Friday.

It is big unknown. My nose tell me Richard will be quickly hanged by community if he will try to sell story that he has no cash to do games or that he want to create iOS game.

Rumors spreading on boards are very very very bad.

BUT.

If he will make proper Ultima and he will take Ultima VII as target and PC/Linux/Mac he will have my money even if he is flying to space monthly.

In other news Notch as always our favorite backer pledged 10k. Seriously this guy is already legend for me for his constant money support for gaming projects.

TrutaS

Yep, had to pledge. Artwork is really beautiful in my opinion. Though I'm no expert. If background have nearly that quality it will be amazing.

I see. did wasteland 2 go equally fast? I honestly can't remember anymore

All the big ones got to close to a million in less than 20 hours, in the next 28 days they slowly make another million, and if they have enough hype the may make another million in the last 48 hours. This one is faster than PE I think, and wasteland was slower.

The most obvious stretch goal is to get Avellone in for some content. If they can manage it, I'm betting his involvement will allow this one to go to as high as four and maybe even five million. Four million for sure.

duckroll

The most obvious stretch goal is to get Avellone in for some content. If they can manage it, I'm betting his involvement will allow this one to go to as high as four and maybe even five million. Four million for sure.

Personally I'll rather Avellone focus on Project Eternity. He's not on that game as a "guest writer", but rather one of the creative leads, so I would definitely be disappointed if he worked less on it to take a side gig which by all indications should be fine without him.

Perkel

Banned
Food for thought:

Project Eternity reached $1mln in 26 hours
Torment: Tides of Numenera reached $700k in 4 hours.

I fully believe their work with Wasteland and gameplay video managed to convince people they are real deal.

EDIT:

Holyshit from some twitter:

this is was not inspiration for PST writers. Such a coincidence:

James Clarence Mangan. 1803–1849

665. The Nameless One

ROLL forth, my song, like the rushing river,
That sweeps along to the mighty sea;
God will inspire me while I deliver
My soul of thee!

Tell thou the world, when my bones lie whitening 5
Amid the last homes of youth and eld,
That once there was one whose veins ran lightning
No eye beheld.

Tell how his boyhood was one drear night-hour,
How shone for him, through his griefs and gloom, 10
No star of all heaven sends to light our
Path to the tomb.

Roll on, my song, and to after ages
Tell how, disdaining all earth can give,
He would have taught men, from wisdom's pages, 15
The way to live.

And tell how trampled, derided, hated,
And worn by weakness, disease, and wrong,
He fled for shelter to God, who mated
His soul with song. 20

—With song which alway, sublime or vapid,
Flow'd like a rill in the morning beam,
Perchance not deep, but intense and rapid—
A mountain stream.

Tell how this Nameless, condemn'd for years long 25
To herd with demons from hell beneath,
Saw things that made him, with groans and tears, long
For even death.

Go on to tell how, with genius wasted,
Betray'd in friendship, befool'd in love, 30
With spirit shipwreck'd, and young hopes blasted,
He still, still strove;

Till, spent with toil, dreeing death for others
(And some whose hands should have wrought for him,
If children live not for sires and mothers), 35
His mind grew dim;

And he fell far through that pit abysmal,
The gulf and grave of Maginn and Burns,
And pawn'd his soul for the devil's dismal
Stock of returns. 40

But yet redeem'd it in days of darkness,
And shapes and signs of the final wrath,
When death, in hideous and ghastly starkness,
Stood on his path.

And tell how now, amid wreck and sorrow, 45
And want, and sickness, and houseless nights,
He bides in calmness the silent morrow,
That no ray lights.

And lives he still, then? Yes! Old and hoary
At thirty-nine, from despair and woe, 50
He lives, enduring what future story
Will never know.

Him grant a grave to, ye pitying noble,
Deep in your bosoms: there let him dwell!
He, too, had tears for all souls in trouble, 55
Here and in hell.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, it's not even been 1/4 of the day and it's almost reached its initial target. This is incredible! Kickstarter has really done some good on getting these fantastic guys to bring back these amazing journeys again. I've pledged already :)

Personally I'll rather Avellone focus on Project Eternity. He's not on that game as a "guest writer", but rather one of the creative leads, so I would definitely be disappointed if he worked less on it to take a side gig which by all indications should be fine without him.

I don't know how Obsidian is handling PE, but I would think that most of the heavy time investment and work will be upfront in the pre-production and planning, like Wasteland 2 and Torment: ToN. That would allow him to put some time in on quest(s) and NPCs. Seems plausible.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Avellone is already pretty busy with South Park, Eternity, Wasteland 2 and their recently signed unannounced project. I don't think he'd be able to do much in Torment 2 outside of maybe designed a couple of quests.

Food for thought:

Project Eternity reached $1mln in 26 hours
Torment: Tides of Numenera reached $700k in 4 hours.

I fully believe their work with Wasteland and gameplay video managed to convince people they are real deal.

yes, that's why it was probably a good decision to launch torment's kickstarter so soon after the WL2 one, just while we get to see all the amazing progress they're making on this title

Avellone is already pretty busy with South Park, Eternity, Wasteland 2 and their recently signed unannounced project. I don't think he'd be able to do much in Torment 2 outside of maybe designed a couple of quests.

that's what I'm thinking, but he might surprise us :p

duckroll

South Park is soooo done, as far as creative supervision is concerned. I'm pretty sure Avellone's design and writing for WL2 is complete too. The real question is what he's doing for Eternity, and how far their production is right now. That's a real question mark.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
To ponder on this:

if Tim Schafer hasn't done his kickstarter there would be much less people doing what they love today.

One man can make a difference (yes, I know that a lot of people worked on their pitch and it wasn't solely his idea but his execution made this whole thing fly).

inm8num2

Some of those higher rewards are tempting.

This is probably the slickest campaign yet. Well done and organized.

The reward tables are a nice touch, too.

Perkel

Banned
South Park is soooo done, as far as creative supervision is concerned. I'm pretty sure Avellone's design and writing for WL2 is complete too. The real question is what he's doing for Eternity, and how far their production is right now. That's a real question mark.

Avellone work with WL2 and SP is done. It is not like Avellone need to be lead writer.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It is big unknown. My nose tell me Richard will be quickly hanged by community if he will try to sell story that he has no cash to do games or that he want to create iOS game.

Rumors spreading on boards are very very very bad.

BUT.

If he will make proper Ultima and he will take Ultima VII as target and PC/Linux/Mac he will have my money even if he is flying to space monthly.

In other news Notch as always our favorite backer pledged 10k. Seriously this guy is already legend for me for his constant money support for gaming projects.

Top tier reward?

Go into Space.

But seriously, if it's an UltimaVII-like, and if he's "putting the band back together" i.e. getting some of the old Origin team to work on this? I'm backing it. Lock, stock, and barrel.

Top Bottom