• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Ledsen

they'll need to re-design the labyrinth (yeah, I know the picture is not really representative of what it'll actually look like in the game), at the moment the various graphic elements just clash too much

I don't think you'll see them layed out on a map like that in the final game.

TommyT

Seriously?

Thanks for the information.

Lol, there wasnt even supposed to be a screen yet.

That's disappointing then.

If combat is a concern of yours for a Torment game, you may have backed the wrong project.

I haven't backed it yet, hence the question. As I can't recall ever having played a "Torment game" I'm not familiar with the combat, and since there isn't anything to go off of I doubt I will. I was prepared to go Physical Collectors too. Shame.

Durante

The combat will be tactical, party-based, and either real-time with pause, phase-based or turn-based. As for the decision between those 3, the last thing I heard is that they want to involve the backer community sometime after the kickstarter ends.

ibtznGXRTfnhEp.gif

There you go.

Thank you, it looks wonderful!

8th fathom

nNQEX73.jpg

I love the rate we're getting these fathoms at!

3.5 mil got, would like to see 3.75 reached today if possible, so that the last day would be a live stream to muster up 750k in total - so that we get the 4.5 million tier as well.

I really want that fortress.

Azih

Thank you, it looks wonderful!

I love the rate we're getting these fathoms at!

3.5 mil got, would like to see 3.75 reached today if possible, so that the last day would be a live stream to muster up 750k in total - so that we get the 4.5 million tier as well.

I really want that fortress.
Fargo doesn't seem to be enthused with fortresses. 4 million level is enough for me.

Ithil

I'm sure there's a livestream planned for the final day, but anything going on to increase exposure/interest for today and tomorrow? But good to be past 3.75 by the end of today and close the gap as much as possible before the final day push.

This is an honest question, not a troll. What makes people get so excited over Chris Avellone? I don't think I've ever played a game he's been involved in. :( What's he so famous for?

Midou

This is an honest question, not a troll. What makes people get so excited over Chris Avellone? I don't think I've ever played a game he's been involved in. :( What's he so famous for?

Planescape: Torment.

Edit: Beaten.

It really is that good though, I only played the game a few months ago, not knowing what to expect. The story and writing is insane.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

He writes the stories for Black Isle Studios/Obsidian's games so: Fallout 2, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, KOTOR 2, Neverwinter 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout New Vegas, & Alpha Protocol.

Grym

Lead designer of the original Planescape: Torment. Along with involvement in the following titles (from wikipedia):

Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (1997)
Fallout 2 (1998)
Descent to Undermountain (1998)
Planescape: Torment (1999)
Icewind Dale (2000)
Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter (2001)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001)
Icewind Dale II (2002)
Van Buren (Fallout 3) (2003 - canceled)
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (2003)
Champions of Norrath (2004)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords (2004/2005)[5]
Neverwinter Nights 2 (2006)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (2007)
Alpha Protocol (2010)
Fallout: New Vegas (2010)

I'm sure there's a livestream planned for the final day, but anything going on to increase exposure/interest for today and tomorrow? But good to be past 3.75 by the end of today and close the gap as much as possible before the final day push.

Yes a livestream is planned:

"Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo 52m
Yes we will be live streaming our Torment Kickstarter countdown this Friday starting around 2:30 PDT."

I don't think anyone knows what they have planned, but various people involved in game/kickstarter have been throwing around hints that more surprises are coming soon. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll probably get an update today, tomorrow, and Friday...what the updates include...who knows?

Planescape: Torment.

Edit: Beaten.

It really is that good though, I only played the game a few months ago, not knowing what to expect. The story and writing is insane.

Thanks for the replies! Wow, I guess I really need to check out some of his stuff.

Onemic

I haven't bought Planescape yet because I always assumed it was like Baldurs Gate 2. I understand why that game is considered one of the best PC games ever, but time did not really help that game out, because trying it for the first time over 10 years after the game came out it felt....beyond dated. BG2 really feels like a game that you had to experience during its release and not a game that you play for the first time years later.(though if I ever got myself an Ipad or if they somehow ported it to the vita I think my experience toward the game would be far more positive) I always assumed Planescape had that same problem, but since it focuses more on story than on combat maybe it's different?

Still at 3.46m :(

3.6M is a lock at this point, but I want the 3.75 and 4M stretch goals!

Violet_0

Banned
I haven't bought Planescape yet because I always assumed it was like Baldurs Gate 2. I understand why that game is considered one of the best PC games ever, but time did not really help that game out, because trying it for the first time over 10 years after the game came out it felt....beyond dated.

lies! I played through the expansion for the first time recently and it's still just as good as always. Then again, I've played the base game right after release

Planescape is quite a bit different, the amount of text in the game is staggering. It took me 2-3 hours just to complete the tutorial area, there's just so much to read. Combat definitely doesn't feel as good as in BG2, but with some planning you can avoid it mostly. It's not nearly as accessible as the other IE games, but give it a chance, you might enjoy it

ksan

Yeah, I think I'm dropping $50. Doesn't feel like it's worth to spend $128 for the first physical tier I'm interested in...

Midou

That looks pretty awesome. Glad it managed to get at least to the 3.5 million. The scope of this game seems like it's going to get epic.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On one hand, I don't want anything spoiled for me about this game, including scenery.

On the other
god damn that art

Zeliard

I like the mix of relatively simple mechanical contraptions like the wheel with advanced technology like the light bridge. Gonna be a fun setting.

Also, I spot five crates. They're only allowed five more. Brother None, please deliver the message.

Midou

I upped my pledge to include the digital comic compilation. Most I can do. :p

Would be nice to see it hit 4, but realistically I don't think it can happen.

Labadal

The last part of the video made me smile, haha.

I like the art in both screens they have released. If anything, there will be some nice enviroments to visit.

Zeliard

On potential companions from the vision doc:

An
ultradimensional traveler who peers through the veil of flesh to the life forces beneath, and who is capable of snuffing those forces with a thought.

If we can change companion names I'm calling this dude "O"

Top Bottom