• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Amir0x

Banned
yo i hope these kickstarter fools pick up the pace, we goddamn need Chris Avellone. Goddamn it we need him like Leia needed Obi-Wan Kenobi!

~Kinggi~

Banned
yo i hope these kickstarter fools pick up the pace, we goddamn need Chris Avellone. Goddamn it we need him like Leia needed Obi-Wan Kenobi!

I want that 4 mil goal. Seems so far out of reach :( But i think 3.5 is a sure thing right now. Least i hope it is..

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yes, we need that in GIF form so I can spam it everywhere.

ibtznGXRTfnhEp.gif

There you go.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I hope the codex sent out their devout legions to viral this for the final push. ALso we need to be updating thread title to inform of final few days etc.

jb1234

With time running out, I've backed the $28 slot. Considered chipping in more and getting Wasteland 2 but I'm not really as invested in that game and if it gets great reviews after release, I might consider picking it up...

Menchi

There have been some suggesting all backers to try and put an additional $5.16 on to their pledge. This represents the 5 tides, 16 legacies they are aiming for with the 4 Mil goal. That'd be pretty neat if a bunch of backers did that.

There have been some suggesting all backers to try and put an additional $5.16 on to their pledge. This represents the 5 tides, 16 legacies they are aiming for with the 4 Mil goal. That'd be pretty neat if a bunch of backers did that.

About 400 people did that x7.77 for PE

JDSN

Banned
Hey Brother, tell Mr. McComb he should play G-man in a Half life movie. His speech patterns are something out of this world.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Over $90,000 (har har) today. The new stretch goals must be working.

Zukuu

Banned
Over $90,000 (har har) today. The new stretch goals must be working.
Thanks to media coverage as well.

They should announce a transvestite character or something, something controversial, so it creates buzz breaking the 6 million :p

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to media coverage as well.

They should announce a transverse character or something, something controversial, so it creates buzz breaking the 6 million :p

Transverse?...you mean transgender character?

No that's the worst thing they or anyone making a game/movie/book can do. The transgendered are real people with personalities, not an exploitable marketing tool. If they decide that they want to include a transgendered person in a game they should do it properly and where it makes sense. Placing them or any other underrepresented group just because they have to fill a quote only accomplishes three things. First, the character will inevitably be terribly defined in game and will garner a generalized negative reaction from both the relevant groups and the general public. Secondly, it dehumanizes and insults important aspects of peoples self image and life, and the actual social issues they face. And finally, bigotry and suspicion of 'others' is the default and most basic reaction human society relies on. Education and outreach programs are already facing a uphill battle and a checkbox representation to garner marketable controversy gives the impression that deviations in sexual preferences/gender identity are easy choices people make to 'attention whore'; à la mainstream perceptions of homosexuality twenty years ago. PR and marketing firms that engage in such behavior should be shunned.

That being said, neither does every representation of the aforementioned has to fully explore the issues as a main focal point of the character's development or main storyline; nor does the character have to be portrayed as a stereotypical Disney story of acceptance and outcome™ (i.e the article by Petit on Persona 4...such a misguided paper). A character can be well written and just have such details a part of their character development.

Zukuu

Banned
Transverse?...you mean transgender character?

No that's the worst thing they or anyone making a game/movie/book can do. The transgendered are real people with personalities, not an exploitable marketing tool. If they decide that they want to include a transgendered person in a game they should do it properly and where it makes sense. Placing them or any other underrepresented group just because they have to fill a quote only accomplishes three things. First, the character will inevitably be terribly defined in game and will garner a generalized negative reaction from both the relevant groups and the general public. Secondly, it dehumanizes and insults important aspects of peoples self image and life, and the actual social issues they face. And finally, bigotry and suspicion of 'others' is the default and most basic reaction human society relies on. Education and outreach programs are already facing a uphill battle and a checkbox representation to garner marketable controversy gives the impression that deviations in sexual preferences/gender identity are easy choices people make to 'attention whore'; à la mainstream perceptions of homosexuality twenty years ago. PR and marketing firms that engage in such behavior should be shunned.

That being said, neither does every representation of the aforementioned has to fully explore the issues as a main focal point of the character's development or main storyline; nor does the character have to be portrayed as a stereotypical Disney story of acceptance and outcome™ (i.e the article by Petit on Persona 4...such a misguided paper). A character can be well written and just have such details a part of their character development.
If it gives me my precious stretch goal, I'm willing to abuse it Ò_Ó. Promise cute kittens, pirate-zombies and monkeys, as long as it brings in backers! x)

Eusis

I am seriously considering going in for the $50 digital tier, that seems to have digital versions of just about everything I want. I'd like it PHYSICALLY more, but I can't really rationalize that right now. Well, there's the Numenera rulebooks, but I'm sure those can be bought separately if I'm in a situation I'll actually use them. Or those I go physical for, whatever.

Violet_0

Banned
they'll need to re-design the labyrinth (yeah, I know the picture is not really representative of what it'll actually look like in the game), at the moment the various graphic elements just clash too much

Top Bottom