• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Cyrano

Wouldn't a 2D environment versus a 3D environment be different when the 3D characters are inserted? I am mostly asking because I think it would be better to have a dynamic 3D environment with a dynamic camera than a fixed 2D environment with dynamic 3D character in it.

What are the advantages of using 2D environments exactly? Besides making it easier for the developers to compose beautiful scenery and manipulate a static picture than a dynamic 3D scene?
There are no discernible advantages, other than those of aesthetics. I bought Muramasa, knowing it was a pretty average game, because it was beautiful. I really would like games that exist, even if they're bad, to be beautiful, and 2D has some of the most beautiful games to this day. Making 3D environments is far more difficult because you're working with textures over blocks, which are difficult when creating natural-looking animation. Bastion however does manage it, though it's running on an engine created specifically for the game (and it uses 2D art as an overlay running on a 3D engine).

Myomoto

Just saw the video, really beautiful stuff, and I didn't expect them to have such a detailed character model just lying around already. Hopefully the big news sites will pick up on it and it'll turn over the final people on the edge to pledge.

Wouldn't a 2D environment versus a 3D environment be different when the 3D characters are inserted? I am mostly asking because I think it would be better to have a dynamic 3D environment with a dynamic camera than a fixed 2D environment with dynamic 3D character in it.

What are the advantages of using 2D environments exactly? Besides making it easier for the developers to compose beautiful scenery and manipulate a static picture than a dynamic 3D scene?

I would imagine that it's a lot easier to create a wide variety of areas with different visual styles in 2D - specifically what I would like from a game like this that seems to be all about imagination run wild. A fixed camera also has the distinct advantage that the player will always see a scene from the 'correct' angle and not miss some short animation or whatever.

Just saw the video, really beautiful stuff, and I didn't expect them to have such a detailed character model just lying around already. Hopefully the big news sites will pick up on it and it'll turn over the final people on the edge to pledge.

Yes, we need that in GIF form so I can spam it everywhere.

Violet_0

Banned
great video, but where is the enemy? I've watched it several times and I can only see one character

I was always counting on Torment hitting 4 mil, the 4.5 mil stretch goals are nice but ... it's a bit of a stretch.

Myomoto

great video, but where is the enemy? I've watched it several times and I can only see one character

I was always counting on Torment hitting 4 mil, the 4.5 mil stretch goals are nice but ... it's a bit of a stretch.

Some big monster dude-thing comes in from the bottom right of the screen just at the end.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The first screenshot looks nice enough but, when people questioned doing a second Kickstarter before their first game is done, didn't they claim something along the lines of how only a very small team would work on Numenera doing pre-production type tasks until Wasteland 2 is done so that its development wouldn't be affected as only people who have already offered all they can to that game would move away from it? Surely 3D artists don't fit that criteria, unless Wasteland 2's assets are all done already, which doesn't seem to be the case... I've pledged on both games (a boxed copy for Wasteland, the basic pledge for Torment, I'd like to get a box for all my Kickstarter games but only Wasteland's was reasonably priced with extras even in the basic tier) but I want equal effort on both and equal greatness, just with a different focus and style of role playing. I don't want one to be their big game they put all the effort in and the other the lesser experience. They cost more or less the same after all.

Lime

There are no discernible advantages, other than those of aesthetics. I bought Muramasa, knowing it was a pretty average game, because it was beautiful. I really would like games that exist, even if they're bad, to be beautiful, and 2D has some of the most beautiful games to this day. Making 3D environments is far more difficult because you're working with textures over blocks, which are difficult when creating natural-looking animation. Bastion however does manage it, though it's running on an engine created specifically for the game (and it uses 2D art as an overlay running on a 3D engine).

I would imagine that it's a lot easier to create a wide variety of areas with different visual styles in 2D - specifically what I would like from a game like this that seems to be all about imagination run wild. A fixed camera also has the distinct advantage that the player will always see a scene from the 'correct' angle and not miss some short animation or whatever.

I see - that makes sense. Making it into a 2D environment would automatically mean a much higher probability of nice quality imagery.

Violet_0

Banned
I honestly don't believe it will hit the $3.5 million mark either.

haha, there will be a big push in the last couple of hours as always, expect half a million or more. The 4 mil stretch goal is very attractive and within reach, I'd be surprised if they make it all the way to 4.5 mil but it's not completely unrealistic

upped my pledge to $51 now, I really kinda want that digital sourcebook even though I don't really plan to play the tabletop game, ever

I'm expecting 3.75 million at a very minimum, 4 million most likely, maybe 4.25 million, and unfortunately a slim chance at achieving the 4.5 stretch goal:

60a46678cf0b2dd75befa670de5687e0_large.jpg

I want that expanded Tide-combos, second city, fortress, and expanded Codex.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Man Torment is my favorite game of all time and I'm seriously thinking of making this my first Kickstarter pledge. It's just that 2015 is so far away and god knows if I'll even be alive to play it. *Sigh*

Zeliard

I honestly think they will just make the 3.5mil goal and nothing higher. I really want to be wrong though

It'll make 3.5 with room to spare.

I think it can hit 4, but if it does it'll barely squeak by. 4.25+ seems very unlikely, but who knows what kind of push it'll get. I really want the Codex :p Maybe they'll be able to add it in anyway.

Durante

Man Torment is my favorite game of all time and I'm seriously thinking of making this my first Kickstarter pledge. It's just that 2015 is so far away and god knows if I'll even be alive to play it. *Sigh*
Think about it this way: if you're not alive, you aren't going to miss the money you pledged either!

Grym

I honestly don't believe it will hit the $3.5 million mark either.

What? Not hit the 3.5M mark? With Paypal funds, it is only $80K away.
3,500,000 - $3,351,251 (kickstart total at time of posting) - $67,776 (Paypal numbers given yesterday) = $80,973

That's only $27k for each of the remaining 3 days and if pledges today stopped right now instead of tonight for the day.

$3,427,419 with the paypal moneys.

Need $72,581 for $3,500,000 stretch goal.
Need $172,581 for $3,600,000 stretch goal.
Need $322,581 for $3,750,000 stretch goal.
Need $572,581 for $4,000,000 stretch goal.
Need $822,581 for $4,250,000 stretch goal.
Need $1,072,581 for $4,500,000 stretch goal.

3 days and counting to get that amount.
Godspeed.

Godspeed.

$3.5 million is a lock
$3.6 million is a definite
$3.75 million is likely
$4 million has a good chance of happening
$4.25 million might happen
$4.5 million has a small chance of happening

Violet_0

Banned
7th Fathom reached through Facebook Likes

http://i.imgur.com/OAHoAZe.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I did not expect that

[quote="Grym, post: 52416444"]Last day? $615,212

[url]http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/#chart-daily[/url][/QUOTE]

thanks, the 4 million stretch goal should be smooth sailing then

Godspeed.

Heh, thanks, that's an interesting look. 4 million looks pretty attainable. We're definitely not "counting on" an ending spike like PE's, which was a pretty crazy combo of increased backers total and $/backer. Wasteland 2 did about 400K in its final three days, which'd put us over the 3.75M SG, but would be nice to do a bit better than that.

AlterOdin

This look fantastic, for some reason I keep expecting it to look like the old Infinity engine.

Really looking forward to play this with these visuals.

Godspeed.

It needs to perform better than WL2 and it will get 4.25

Zukuu

Banned
Why couldn't the stronghold be on an earlier stretch goal? :<
16 tides are almost too much, so I'd rather see both goals swapped.

I reckon if they'd just released this:

bvUAluJ.jpg

It would have been better. Focuses on the interesting part of the screen, and has the most colour balance.

Well what do you know....

Rtl5OqL.png

Edit: The scene really does look a lot better in motion - my concerns are definitely eased. Also, damn that new fathom is awesome! This last three days is going to be a tense push but I think we'll make 4 mil.

TommyT

Sorry I missed it, but have they shown any combat for the game? I looked on the kick starter page but it's hardly mentioned at all.

Top Bottom