• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know what sucks?
All these CRPGs are being made at the same time. And I'm sitting here like, 'man all this hype makes me want to play one while I wait!' And... I can't. I've played em all.

Same thing with Maia.

New screenshot is amazing.

Can we get physical comics, please? Paying that much for digital comics feels dirty, especially when I get such a nice collector's box. The third comic is not an add-on exclusive, right?

Also still want a digital copy of the Numenera corebook to go along with my physical one, but at this point that seems unlikely.

Excited to see how high this goes. Not excited to see the dent in my credit card statement.

mclem

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that a hugely important part of gaming's future depends on inxile & co. right now, between this and wasteland.

I have faith...go inxile.

I will admit, there's a hell of a lot of for god's sake, don't fuck this up! running through my mind.

Irobot82

Is anyone else having trouble playing the embedded Youtube video on page 2 of this interview? I've been running into trouble like this over the last few days. And it only happens in Chrome.

edit: It was some addon. Figures I'd figure it out as soon as I post about it.

oof this hurts me

quote from the article

So, if you sell another 200,000 copies of Wasteland 2 or Torment: Tribes of Numenera – these would be good numbers for you?

bolded for emphasis

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
These guys are the best thing to have happened to PC gaming in the last 10 years. They will own my soul with wasteland 2 and this.

Eusis

Really is painful hearing about how hard it was to get investors interested in Wasteland 2. I wonder if this complete ambivalence is a huge reason the industry's the way it is right now, that there IS a market for these games, but they're getting so underserved as they're not THE big market that it's actively eroding everything else as everyone who isn't into the Big Thing loses interest and thus there's no expanding.

Though I AM curious to see how well Wasteland 2 ultimately does. I have to admit this interested me way more so I'm either sticking with my pledge or bumping it up, but Wasteland 2 I got cold feet on and decided I'd just buy it at release once it's shown just how good it is.

~Kinggi~

Banned
As long as these games have good writing, a lot of explorable areas and interesting quests that dont insult people's intelligence i think they will succeed at what they need to do. Of course i also expect some backlash cause these things arent GOTY or whatever other unbelievable expectations people might have.

I think they've met the 3.6m stretch goal.

Edit: Neat

Brian Fargo ‏@BrianFargo 2h

Our fellow crowd-sourcing buddy and movie producer Mr. @croberts68 will be joining us Friday at our livestream countdown.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its moving faster now than it was a couple of hours ago. Been averaging around 9k an hour i think and its already 4k in 13 minutes. Unless a big donation just came in.

OK, I've been holding off on pledging. I want a collector's edition boxed copy. SO I will be getting that, but if I'm reading right does that mean that I DON'T get access to the really cool digital stuff like the torment retrospective? It's not even available as a digital add on. This really seems to stuck as it would cost them NOTHING to add this on to someone who is planning to give them $135 for a game that will hopefully have some of the same spark as torment. They really seem to be nickel and diming on this kickstarter.

Zeliard

OK, I've been holding off on pledging. I want a collector's edition boxed copy. SO I will be getting that, but if I'm reading right does that mean that I DON'T get access to the really cool digital stuff like the torment retrospective? It's not even available as a digital add on. This really seems to stuck as it would cost them NOTHING to add this on to someone who is planning to give them $135 for a game that will hopefully have some of the same spark as torment. They really seem to be nickel and diming on this kickstarter.

The Torment retrospective comes with every tier. :)

~Kinggi~

Banned

Maybe Brother None can get an answer to you soon.

oh nevermind Ed Norton already answered.

Velinos

Look at the charts midway down to get an accurate list of what is included in the tiers. The listings on the side are out of date and a lot has been added.

Yamauchi

Banned
y6svx0S.jpg
This game looks freaking awesome.

The Torment retrospective comes with every tier. :)

Wish they were clearer with that then. Because it's mentioned in the digital section and never once in the physical stuff, is there a spot where they added it for all tiers? I also wish beta access was not only in the $250 and above physical tiers, but what are you gonna do?

But listening to the video with the Mark Morgan score and the amazing concept art makes me happy. Will bite.

Also, is the Numinera corebook out already?

Onemic

Wish they were clearer with that then. Because it's mentioned in the digital section and never once in the physical stuff, is there a spot where they added it for all tiers? I also wish beta access was not only in the $250 and above physical tiers, but what are you gonna do?

But listening to the video with the Mark Morgan score and the amazing concept art makes me happy. Will bite.

?

beta access is in the $75 and over tiers. Alpha access is in the $130 and over tiers.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't. The historical figures concept is cool. How's the story?

How is this one? I have heard mixed things...

I only had the opportunity to play the first portion of the game back in the day at my cousin's house, but I found the aesthetics and characters to be quite enjoyable. My cousin actually finished the game and said the first part was strong but the game has a weak second act as if they rushed to release the game before it was ready. I just messaged my cousin who said the game was worth the time put into it. Cousin also mentioned that the second act was more similar to Diablo than P:T and BG2.

I own the game, but it's in my backlog queue. I'm going to get to it as soon as I finish Crusader: No Regret.

Actually, they're not RPGs, but the Crusader games are something you might want to look into.

Check this out: http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/thekstiers

Over 2000 backers today according to kicktraq :)

Moff

the screenshots exceed my expectations, this game look amazing

but I am afraid we wont make the 4 million :(
maybe they'll make it an expansion

Jac_Solar

I only had the opportunity to play the first portion of the game back in the day at my cousin's house, but I found the aesthetics and characters to be quite enjoyable. My cousin actually finished the game and said the first part was strong but the game has a weak second act as if they rushed to release the game before it was ready. I just messaged my cousin who said the game was worth the time put into it. Cousin also mentioned that the second act was more similar to Diablo than P:T and BG2.

I own the game, but it's in my backlog queue. I'm going to get to it as soon as I finish Crusader: No Regret.

Actually, they're not RPGs, but the Crusader games are something you might want to look into.

I think that is a general complaint about Lionheart. Very good, or good first part, very grindy/action RPG like second part.

I tried out one of the Crusader games awhile ago, but the controls were awful. Is there a fix for that -- to make the controls more modern or something?

Of course i also expect some backlash cause these things arent GOTY or whatever other unbelievable expectations people might have.

What makes you say this? Do you think these Kickstarter games will be mediocre, or, for example, won't have a chance at becoming GOTY?

Lime

As long as these games have good writing, a lot of explorable areas and interesting quests that dont insult people's intelligence i think they will succeed at what they need to do.

That's exactly how it is for me. I don't expect them to be groundbreaking masterpieces that revolutionized the medium. Everything extra than good writing, exploration, and non-insulting quests are just cherries on top.

Yesterday we got $149k in 24 hours, which averages out to $6.2k per hour.
With 39 hours left, if we manage yesterday's hourly average and no more, we'll get $242k - bringing up the total funded amount to $3,820,391+$57k paypal= $3,887,391.

The 4 million tier is attainable if we get an hourly average of at least $9095 for the remaining 39 hours. I think that's what PE hit the last day or two, so it certainly is possible we'll hit the 4 million tier.

Labadal

Yesterday we got $149k in 24 hours, which averages out to $6.2k per hour.
With 39 hours left, if we manage yesterday's hourly average and no more, we'll get $242k - bringing up the total funded amount to $3,820,391+$57k paypal= $3,887,391.

The 4 million tier is attainable if we get an hourly average of at least $9095 for the remaining 39 hours. I think that's what PE hit the last day or two, so it certainly is possible we'll hit the 4 million tier.

I thought paypal was at $80k?

Lime

I read this as a dig against Blizzard:

I’m sure there’s some number out there where we start to question how we would spend it, but we’re not at those kinds of numbers. 2 million, 3 million or 4 million dollars are great, but we know that Blizzard spends a million and a half dollars a minute just on their opening cartoons!

:lol yeah, that's a pretty appropriate description of Blizzard's level of storytelling in their CGI films.

Top Bottom