• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Zeliard

$4 million is a lock, no way it isn't getting there at this point

I wanna hear more about the oasis water-bubble city. I'm rather enticed by it.

Pretty sure Obisidian is not far away from InXile's offices, they'd better get Avellone and whoever else over. Not a kickstarter livestream if Avellone isn't hammered.

Maybe he'll draw another GAF toon ;)

Minsc

Gold Member
The real question is will Torment make Mortal Kombat jealous? ~425 of the 3500 tombstones remain to be filled, we don't want to disappoint Manny!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure Obisidian is not far away from InXile's offices, they'd better get Avellone and whoever else over. Not a kickstarter livestream if Avellone isn't hammered.

20-60 minutes. Depending on traffic and personal predilection toward obeying the speed limit.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Kickstarter campaigns are so exciting! I dont know why. Maybe cause its pure potential and catering to very specific interests.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Kickstarter campaigns are so exciting! I dont know why. Maybe cause its pure potential and catering to very specific interests.

While there is much to be said for purity of authorial vision, it's very exciting to have a bullet point list of ideals as a consumer and see the team go "done." This level of input works very well for video games, where the framework is so critical for determining what sort of experience we'll end up with.

Put this same team on some sort of AAA publisher-dictated deal and we're liable to get an end result marginally better than Dragon Age 2. Fortunately we have the right scaffolding for the talented folks on this project to build something special.

Sinople

I just backed the $45 pledge against my better judgement, as I'm a bit short of money. Oh well, it better be good!
And now I regret a little not backing Project Eternity.

~Kinggi~

Banned
While there is much to be said for purity of authorial vision, it's very exciting to have a bullet point list of ideals as a consumer and see the team go "done." This level of input works very well for video games, where the framework is so critical for determining what sort of experience we'll end up with.

Put this same team on some sort of AAA publisher-dictated deal and we're liable to get an end result marginally better than Dragon Age 2. Fortunately we have the right scaffolding for the talented folks on this project to build something special.

I also think InExile has done a very good job using this campaign in a positive light to actually influence their design because its as simple as giving the customers what they want, because KS enables us to be customers at the very start and not just potential sales with risk involved. They also have good transparency with the obvious issues people bring up.

Zukuu

Banned
I also think InExile has done a very good job using this campaign in a positive light to actually influence their design because its as simple as giving the customers what they want, because KS enables us to be customers at the very start and not just potential sales with risk involved. They also have good transparency with the obvious issues people bring up.

Yeah, I really like the actual "interaction" and "communication" you have with the dev directly.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Well, it's actually taking the concept of crowdfunded patronage seriously, not as a glorified preorder system.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
And that's the whole ideal point of KS right? Make the backers' dreams come true. Now that could go too far if you listen to too many disparate voices but given the entire point of KS I think it's great to give the fans the serious consideration at they are so rarely given elsewhere.

~Kinggi~

Banned
And that's the whole ideal point of KS right? Make the backers' dreams come true. Now that could go too far if you listen to too many disparate voices but given the entire point of KS I think it's great to give the fans the serious consideration at they are so rarely given elsewhere.

Thankfully most of the successful KS campaigns the developers involved take our suggestions seriously but are wary of the pitfalls of listening to every single voice. Still need a singular design to actually achieve success but its completely molded from the backers.

Zeliard

I'm unbelievably impressed by the teams they're able to gather together for these projects. I mean these are basically RPG dream teams in every sense.

We not only have a direct line between gamer and developer, but the dev teams we're seeing come together are absolutely unreal.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm unbelievably impressed by the teams they're able to gather together for these projects. I mean these are basically RPG dream teams in every sense.

We not only have a direct line between gamer and developer, but the dev teams we're seeing come together are absolutely unreal.

Well the team thing i think is direct credit to Fargo because he seems to be leading the front on putting talent as one of the active goals and then explaining how the talent needs support systems like artists and designers and thats what everyone buys.

Zeliard

Well the team thing i think is direct credit to Fargo because he seems to be leading the front on putting talent as one of the active goals and then explaining how the talent needs support systems like artists and designers and thats what everyone buys.

Project Eternity as well - Tim Cain, Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, George Ziets

Brian has always had an outstanding talent for gathering talented people around him. A lot of the best designers and companies starter their careers with him.

That's why I was pretty glad when he noted he's a fan of mine :p

Zeliard

haha of course not :p

In all seriousness, Evilore said he's gonna update his pledge to match his Eternity contribution, even if he doesn't remember actually typing those words.

CrunchyB

Just pledged $50 via PayPal.

The limited edition box is a bit pricey already and the extra $18 in order to ship to Europe is a bit too much for me. I'd probably never open it up anyway.

So instead I'm going digital, which is great value for money with all the extra novella's and the comic.

Zukuu

Banned
Btw, in the short Q/A video, he mentioned that they are aiming at making a non-lethal playhtrough possible! That sounds great, even tho I probably won't make use of it when dealing with combat situations, I don't like slaughtering mere thieves either, so hopefully they will consider non-lethal combat options for those encounters.

KS sitting at 3.8 million. With Paypal I am guessing it is at 3.9. So 325k needed in 17 hours tomorrow. Possible? I know Europe should be getting home/waking up soon correct?

Grayman

Btw, in the short Q/A video, he mentioned that they are aiming at making a non-lethal playhtrough possible! That sounds great, even tho I probably won't make use of it when dealing with combat situations, I don't like slaughtering mere thieves either, so hopefully they will consider non-lethal combat options for those encounters.

i really want non lethal combat to start showing up in these games. I see it as making a bit less sense in a party based game than the solo first person type though. The immediate escalation to life or death fights doesn't make sense when the player picks up a toaster or even pick pockets a guard in a civilized town. party based it could probably have some interesting ways to show how skilled a team is though.

Durante

The last couple of hours have slowed down significantly. Of course that is mostly due to time zones, but I don't know if it will make it to 4.5 million.

Torraz

Thinking I might jump in at the 45 tier that includes both Wasteland 2 and this.

How well have their updates on Wasteland 2 been?

So far I have only backed Project Eternity and I feel like those guys have done a good job with regular updates.

Labadal

Thinking I might jump in at the 45 tier that includes both Wasteland 2 and this.

So far I have only backed Project Eternity and I feel like those guys have done a good job with regular updates.

There's a gameplay video of Wasteland 2 showing off the game in an early state. The writing didn't seem super impressive, but I was very excited by everything else. There was also a text update giving examples of how your choices could change some situations you get involved in.

Musician

God damnit... upped my pledge to 350. Writing an item description AND being in the "additional design" part of the credits was just.. too much.

I'm weak

$4 million on kickstarter alone seems like a strong, strong possibility now.

well, going by the Kicktraq numbers, $236,941 was earned yesterday in a 24 hour span, that averages out to $9872.54 an hour. So if funding continued at the same rate that it did yesterday, for the next 16 hours they could raise about $157,960. Which would bring the kickstarter total to $3,973,971. With the PayPal donations that could bring it maybe a bit over 4 million.

Of course this is all just theoretical that it could pill in roughly less than 10K an hour. But it seems like it could be possible.

Torraz

There's a gameplay video of Wasteland 2 showing off the game in an early state. The writing didn't seem super impressive, but I was very excited by everything else. There was also a text update giving examples of how your choices could change some situations you get involved in.

Thanks. I'm in at 45$.

Now at 3 kickstarted project, all RPGs. 2014 is gonna be good.

oipic

I'm in the same boat - I somehow missed the Wasteland KS, so I'm tempted to up my pledge to include it, too.

Would be very interested to hear from those that have followed its progress more closely as to how they think Wasteland 2 is shaping up.

Super-excited about Torment and PE - both, and all news concerning them, are still giving me warm fuzzies and feelings that they are being made especially for me.

inm8num2

Read through the Vision Doc. Loved everything I read and saw. I'm not a huge RPG player, but I'm interested in this for the same reason I pledged to Project: Eternity. The people behind the project, the passion and experience they have...amazing. The unified, clear vision is simply quite impressive.

Dennis

Banned
We are getting the Oasis city and this is all I care about here at the end.

The 4.25 and 4.5 stretch goal are nice but the thought of not reaching them is not upsetting unlike the city thing.

68,828 backers.
$3,833,893 pledged of $900,000 goal.
13 hours to go.

We need $166,107 to reach the 4 million tier (avg. $12,777/h)
$416,107 to reach the 4.25 million tier (avg. $32,008/h)
$666,107 to reach the 4.5 million tier (avg. $51,239/h)

Subtract approximately $7k from each required hourly average if you include paypal.

kami_sama

68,828 backers.
$3,833,893 pledged of $900,000 goal.
13 hours to go.

We need $166,107 to reach the 4 million tier (avg. $12,777/h)
$416,107 to reach the 4.25 million tier (avg. $32,008/h)
$666,107 to reach the 4.5 million tier (avg. $51,239/h)

Subtract approximately $7k from each required hourly average if you include paypal.
Paypal it's at 90k, so we only need 70k for the 4 million goal.

Top Bottom