• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

-NeoTB1-

I finally caved and pledged this morning. I was just waiting for someone to move on up from the $20 pledges so I could grab a spot.

Zeliard

4.25 seems within striking distance when you include Paypal. Which means we get crafting. Not totally sure if want, but they said they'll tie that in to the narrative and setting, which is what would mainly interest me about it.

Crafting that emphasizes non-combat could be cool, and it could also be effective as a mechanic that rewards and drives the player more towards exploration.

The codex is another matter - no ambivalence there whatsoever. That seems entirely appropriate and awesome for a Torment game.

nubbe

I hope Wasteland 2 and Torment delivers... I really want a Black Isle 2.0
Torment is the game I have pledged to most towards so far

Paypal is pushing it up a lot, they only need to get to about 4.4 million to get the last stretch goal.

That is still just under 500k in under 7 hours. I'm happy with what we have now. If we didn't hit 4 mil then I would have been disappointed, but getting 5 more legacies and another major city is fine with me if we don't reach the next one.

sg7UXZJ.jpg

I need to update my pants.

Torraz

Hoping we'll reach 4.25

---

Got 90 bucks invested in kickstarter total.

22.50 for Wasteland 2 and Torment
25 + 20 for Project Eternity + its addon

---

If all goes well 2014 should be an epic year for RPGs.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
4.25 seems within striking distance when you include Paypal. Which means we get crafting. Not totally sure if want, but they said they'll tie that in to the narrative and setting, which is what would mainly interest me about it.

Crafting that emphasizes non-combat could be cool, and it could also be effective as a mechanic that rewards and drives the player more towards exploration.
Crafting in Torment would concern me too. For reference, here's the description:

Crafting Numenera

The numenera may be beyond our understanding, but they aren't beyond our use. This Stretch Goal will allow you to learn the tricks to combining the numenera into your own custom cyphers and artifacts. This would not be a rote crafting system, but one that includes some puzzle-solving elements (though not what you'd call a mini-game) and that is tied into the world and narrative. This is yet another idea we started to explore early on for the game, but that felt out of scope for our original budget. But at this Stretch Goal, we can confidently commit to restoring this aspect of our design vision as well.

It sounds potentially interesting in this case, but crafting can add lots of problems to a game. Will I have to scour the game world to collect crafting materials, and spend lots of time sorting junk in inventory screens? Will highly-customized, unpredictable crafted items be balanced with non-crafted items? Let's say I don't want to engage in crafting--will I miss out on important worldbuilding and narrative?

Velinos

I have all the add-ons I want already. If the large cloth map from the $500+ tiers is released as an add-on, I WILL pick it up (assuming it is not much more than $100).

Brother None - This needs to happen. Make it so.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
All right I said I would so I finally kicked in for $45 to snag the All About the Games tier.

Concept and artwork has been absolutely phenomenal. Here's hoping for the best everyone!

Zeliard

Crafting in Torment would concern me too. For reference, here's the description:

It sounds potentially interesting in this case, but crafting can add lots of problems to a game. Will I have to scour the game world to collect crafting materials, and spend lots of time sorting junk in inventory screens? Will highly-customized, unpredictable crafted items be balanced with non-crafted items? Let's say I don't want to engage in crafting--will I miss out on important worldbuilding and narrative?

I share those concerns as well. I'm waiting for them to release more information on it. There should fortunately be less of a risk of crafting being some afterthought, since they apparently considered it early on in pre-production.

What will indeed be tricky is balancing it out as far as who chooses to use the crafting and who completely ignores it. The latter player shouldn't necessarily feel like they're missing out on significant story elements by ignoring a mechanic they may find uninteresting, and yet the crafting should still be meaningfully tied to the narrative in some sense for it to hold any real weight to those who do engage in it.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
I'm gonna hate myself when I see my credit card statement 7 hours from now. I just pledged for the $275 version (cheapest left) since its the only one not sold out that still offers the Hardcover Corebook.

I love D&D style computer games and books sure I'll be worth it.

Zeliard

I completely agree. Crafting is as boring as grocery shopping. I'd rather want 1 % more reactivity and 3,5 % gameplay, honestly.

Crafting is one of those things like player houses that I see people get all excited about, and I'm just like

i9vnkYsrBPgjE.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Heads up, GOG has a crazy D&D bundle deal right now with Torment as well as Baldur's Gate I & II and Icewind Dale and NWN.

Onemic

Crossing my fingers for 4.25mil

Heads up, GOG has a crazy D&D bundle deal right now with Torment as well as Baldur's Gate I & II and Icewind Dale and NWN.

Sweet. Just bought Planescape for 5 bucks. Is NWN any good? And what's so good about Icewind Dale? I hear it's the more combat focused of the three(BG, ID, and PT)

Top Bottom