• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

I'd hate to see your reaction to Brampton or Milton. :0

I work a few mins from the border of Mississauga and Brampton. A truck-infested industrial no man's land.

As for Milton, the place had potential but they decided to imitate Mississauga and go full-bore with ugly subdivisions and Smart Centres.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Any beer lovers in here? If so, what are your favourite Toronto (or Ontario) local beers?

I personally think the best value is Great Lakes Brewery's Crazy Canuck
This one is brewed right here in Toronto. It's only $2.25 a can but packs a wild flavourful kick. This one is not for people that like mild beers.

Another favourite of mine is Hockley Valley Black & Tan
This one is actually brewed closer to Ottawa but I think of the Ontario brewery scene as one community and this is one of the best.

blech local Toronto beer. I'd put Steamwhistle down there with North Korean beer.

Tried a variety of beer made locally, and it has failed to impress.

Keith's and Rickard's seem to be the only Canadian beers I give any time too.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
You guys see what's happening outside City Hall? Protestors are trying to force their way in. They locked council in the chamber.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wind is pretty crazy here on the west end. It was blowing my hat off and scaring the dog when we were out for our walk. Now it's pounding the windows here pretty hard. Beautiful night out though.

Ford's budget is getting torn to shreds. Environment Office positions restored.

edit: And now libraries are saved the axe.

Saved by a vote of 22-21. I'll be really interested to see the voting break down later.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Very interested to see what the story is behind this. Maybe Boogie can give us the inside scoop later.

Protest outside City hall budget talks

LFcrO.jpg

Cuts averted! Woooo!

The day after the next election, when we elect a mayor who knows how a big city works, we'll all turn to each other and say "Those were 4 wasted years we'll never get back."

Wind is pretty crazy here on the west end. It was blowing my hat off and scaring the dog when we were out for our walk. Now it's pounding the windows here pretty hard. Beautiful night out though.

Crazy wind out here in Scarborough too.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/17/toronto-city-council-reverses-19m-of-rob-fords-cuts/

Despite what even his allies called a setback, the Mayor still claimed victory.

“We are spending less money this year than we did last year. That is absolutely unheard of,” Mayor Ford told reporters, touting that council “held” the property tax hike to 2.5% and did not reinstate more services. “That’s a huge victory, that’s like trying to stop a tidal wave, and we fended them off,” he said.

Still, he had biting words for those councillors who voted against his austerity measures.

“They see money in front of them, and it’s like putting food in front of a dog. They just can’t resist,” he said.

Members of the voting bloc that included centrist, left- and right-leaning councillors, had a predictably different take, going so far as to suggest it may signal a power shift at City Hall.

“Torontonians won, they won $19- and $20-million of the worst cuts that would have denigrated the life of Toronto,” said Councillor Joe Mihevc. Added Councillor Adam Vaughan: “There has been a change here, council has decided it’s going to run the city.”

Every once in a while I'm proud of my city.

Zzoram

What's funny is he's comparing those who voted against him with people who can't stop eating, when he himself is probably the fattest man in city hall.

Okay.

Now, the only way to get back on track is with talk about.. tipping.

Standard tip in Toronto restaurants now 20 per cent

If your waiters make too little, you don't have to pay them the industry minimum! 20% tip is usually for a job well done from me, and you really have to try hard not to get 15%. :p

I said the exact same on Facebook, I work at a restaurant but not as a server, friends that don't work in the industry started bragging that they always tip 20% if its good service anyway and missed the point I was making that if the owner really cares he can pay the servers more and not pass it on to the guests

Friends that do work in the industry agreed with me that if owners really cared they can always pay more and not claim to be helping by asking people to maybe tip more

One of the dumbest quotes I've ever read

And good work Toronto council, although you have to have expected a bunch of the cuts to be prevented. Ford manufactured a big crisis and still got a lot cut anyway

Firestorm

“We feel we are providing great service. Waiters don’t get paid too much,” said Tom Earl, co-owner of The Westerly.
YOU ARE THE CO-OWNER. PAY THEM MORE.

Yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to be tipping more than 15%.

Quick

Banned
As much as I stand for tipping when it comes to tipping arguments, this is pretty stupid. Give me amazing service and I'll tip appropriately.

Fuck that guy right up his ass.

And tipping based on percentage on those card readers is just lazy and dumb, most of them take the %age from the total after tax, and you really aren't supposed to tip on the money going to the government

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Toronto Mayor Losing Weight for Charity… Just Not Gay, Bicycle, AIDS or Library Charities

dat word filter. Hilarious that 'bicycle' is banned (gay also banned, didn't try any other words in the charity field).

YOU ARE THE CO-OWNER. PAY THEM MORE.

Yeah, I don't think I'm ever going to be tipping more than 15%.

I didn't understand his quote at all and had the same response. Nothing is stopping him from paying his wait staff more if he thinks they deserve it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those interested in the voting break down:

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.EX14.1

The 'big vote' came out like this:

Yes said:
Maria Augimeri, Ana Bailão, Shelley Carroll, Raymond Cho, Josh Colle, Janet Davis, Glenn De Baeremaeker, Sarah Doucette, John Filion, Paula Fletcher, Mary Fragedakis, Mike Layton, Chin Lee, Gloria Lindsay Luby, Josh Matlow, Pam McConnell, Mary-Margaret McMahon, Joe Mihevc, James Pasternak, Gord Perks, Anthony Perruzza, Adam Vaughan, Kristyn Wong-Tam

No said:
Paul Ainslie, Michelle Berardinetti, Gary Crawford, Vincent Crisanti, Mike Del Grande, Frank Di Giorgio, Doug Ford, Rob Ford, Mark Grimes, Doug Holyday, Norman Kelly, Giorgio Mammoliti, Peter Milczyn, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Frances Nunziata (Chair), Cesar Palacio, John Parker, Jaye Robinson, David Shiner, Karen Stintz, Michael Thompson

Absent said:
Ron Moeser

Rinoa

I said the exact same on Facebook, I work at a restaurant but not as a server, friends that don't work in the industry started bragging that they always tip 20% if its good service anyway and missed the point I was making that if the owner really cares he can pay the servers more and not pass it on to the guests

Friends that do work in the industry agreed with me that if owners really cared they can always pay more and not claim to be helping by asking people to maybe tip more

Yeah, it's all too often we get the TLDR douches who just see "tip talk" as an opportunity to brag about how much money they have to throw away for the sake of looking good.

I've not once mentioned how much we tip, yet people feel the need to bring up numbers.

Fuck restaurants.

They're underpaying their staff and passing the bill onto consumers to cover with tip.

Speaking of this... what is the law in Ontario for paying the staff? Do they get minimum wage?

My wife's sister is a waitress in Massachusetts and gets only like $3.00 per hour! If no one comes in that day then she gets no tips which means she made basically nothing! I guess the laws in the US say you don't have to pay them minimum wage there which is fucked up.

I hope the laws are different here and they at least get minimum wage.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Speaking of this... what is the law in Ontario for paying the staff? Do they get minimum wage?

My wife's sister is a waitress in Massachusetts and gets only like $3.00 per hour! If no one comes in that day then she gets no tips which means she made basically nothing! I guess the laws in the US say you don't have to pay them minimum wage there which is fucked up.

I hope the laws are different here and they at least get minimum wage.

$8.90 per hour for liquor servers (waiters, bartenders, etc. those who you assume will make tips). Definitely better than some places and you should make a decent wage if you have the volume and are good at your job.

Hieberrr

I thought that employers are obligated to make the pay if employees weren't able to get sufficient tips to cover their wage for the day. Or is that for some other place?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I thought that employers are obligated to make the pay if employees weren't able to get sufficient tips to cover their wage for the day. Or is that for some other place?

Yes, I believe that's the rule as well. Of course, if you're not making at least that much back in tips, you're probably not going to be employed for very long.

ShaneB

Thinking about selling my laptop and looking for the easiest/quickest way. It's fairly new, got it christmas 2010, Acer Aspire 7741, same that this person is selling http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/2797905251.html I actually emailed the guy asking if it was still available since I'm curious if it is an easy sell.

I'd rather not go the craigslist/ebay/kijiji route, so just curious if there basically any big box places where I can just bring in my stuff and get some cash value back and have it be a simple process.

ElNino

$8.90 per hour for liquor servers (waiters, bartenders, etc. those who you assume will make tips). Definitely better than some places and you should make a decent wage if you have the volume and are good at your job.
The issue for servers IMO isn't the wages but the hours you work. This might not be as big of an issue in downtown TO, but in restaurants that I worked in it was quite common for the wait staff to come in for a dinner shift and get sent home without working or to only work a couple of hours because it wasn't busy enough.

The issue for servers IMO isn't the wages but the hours you work. This might not be as big of an issue in downtown TO, but in restaurants that I worked in it was quite common for the wait staff to come in for a dinner shift and get sent home without working or to only work a couple of hours because it wasn't busy enough.

No, that happens at most restaurants
If its a dead night they'll cut labour all the way down

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to work as a waiter. Seems like the employers don't treat you that well, customers like most service industries can be very difficult, and hours are God awful. I respect people that do it, but yikes, not for me.

cbox

I thought she was extremely popular?

The other night I went to a bar/club (I'm not sure which) called Stones Place. The inside was nice enough, but me and the lady had to wait in line for literally an hour. In something like -16' weather.

Guys, I've never been that cold in my entire life - as people left the line left right and centre, we stayed in it, determined to not be beaten by it. It was like a religious experience, my feet got so cold, they started to ache - then, they started to burn - which is a fucked up feeling. Then they kind of went super numb - but luckily by that point we got inside.

Basically - fucking going out in winter, it's house parties and move nights until I can walk around outside topless again.

It's -49 in Calgary, I'd say man up :p

ElNino

Yeah, I wouldn't want to work as a waiter. Seems like the employers don't treat you that well, customers like most service industries can be very difficult, and hours are God awful. I respect people that do it, but yikes, not for me.
It is the perfect job while you are in University/College. You can work as many hours as you want/need and you can usually schedule your shifts easily around your classes. Working in restaurants is what got me through school after OSAP did their best to screw me over. Also, the cheap food and drinks with plenty of like-minded co-workers (can) make it a fun place to work.

jl4855

Thinking about selling my laptop and looking for the easiest/quickest way. It's fairly new, got it christmas 2010, Acer Aspire 7741, same that this person is selling http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/sys/2797905251.html I actually emailed the guy asking if it was still available since I'm curious if it is an easy sell.

I'd rather not go the craigslist/ebay/kijiji route, so just curious if there basically any big box places where I can just bring in my stuff and get some cash value back and have it be a simple process.

you'll never get as good value with selling to a store vs selling it yourself on craigs/kij

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Not in Toronto but involves a Toronto team...

Anyone else going to the Outdoor classic between the Toronto Marlies and the Hamilton Bulldogs on Saturday at Ivor Wynne stadium in Hamilton?

I grabbed a few tickets for myself and my buddies, looks like it won't be ridiculously cold so I'm hoping it will be a good time.

Top Bottom