• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Boogie

Why?

I've never had any real difficulty driving with all-seasons

Maybe if you are out in buttfuck nowhere, but not in the GTA

Ditto. I am a master of the elements in my 2000 Chevy Crapalier.

Now, my new Genesis Coupe, that's another story. I've garaged it for this winter, but if I drive it next winter, I'm definitely getting winter tires. A 306+ horsepower RWD coupe does not like snowy roads, haha.

Boogie

Who else hates being a sports fan in this city? I'm sitting here watching a raptors game for the first time this season, and they're losing (of course), with no real hope of accomplishing anything this season, other than a high lottery finish. The leafs, after starting off strong, are now ninth in their conference, and the blue jays have done jack shit this off season to improve their chances in that division they're in. Our teams are fucking awful.

You need to follow Toronto's most successful "pro" sports team.

a0f6b06e45259831c9e76556a49d.jpeg

Seriously folks. Arena lacrosse is fuck awesome. Not sure if they'll repeat now that the Whipper is retired though. :-/

I get worried when I hear people say they failed their G2. Nobody I know failed it, and I breezed through all my driver related courses and tests with no issues when I was teenager.

Back in the day, I passed my test for my G2 on the first try, but failed the test for my full G twice. It was a case of complete money-grabbing fuckery, though.

For the third time, I had the same tester who had failed me the time before. Halfway through the test, he shouts out the same robotic "YOU ARE IN DANGER OF FAILING THE TEST" announcement he did the time before, and I think "aw fuck, why bother, you're just going to fail me again."

I finish the test, he goes inside, and then comes back out. He starts off saying "I am going to pass you, but...." and then goes into this long lecture about how I barely passed and references my two previous attempts, and all I can think is "yes yes, I passed, you can fuck off now."

(then on the ride back, with my father driving, we ironically got rear-ended at a stoplight on an overpass by an asshole in a pickup truck flying at 60 km/h towards the red light, but that's another story)

...and fast forward to today and I'm four years into a career where I am constantly performing extreme driving maneuvers while multitasking, and I have yet to so much as bump another vehicle on the road.

So, in conclusion: if you hear someone failed an Ontario road test, it *might* be because the tester is a corrupt asshole. And eff you to the two testers who failed me back in the day. haha

When I did pass I realized I made a small error near the end and the examiner was like meh, don't worry, you're doing fine

When I got my G the examiner and I were poking fun at other drivers

When I failed my G2 I had examiners that looked scary as hell

I took my G road test on the DVP. In standard Parking Lot dodge and weave traffic.

My G2 road test, the adjudicator made fun of me while I was making a three-point turn.

Apparently, driving in Toronto is about surviving others acting like jerks. If you can manage it, you pass.

Magik

I find that when it comes to driving exams, G2 or G, it really comes down to the examiner. The really good ones will penalize you accordingly and fairly while some other examiners are just pricks and will fail you over the smallest things.

If there's one thing I won't miss is the ridiculous wait times to book the tests. It always had taken me at a minimum, 3 weeks to book a road test.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I find that when it comes to driving exams, G2 or G, it really comes down to the examiner. The really good ones will penalize you accordingly and fairly while some other examiners are just pricks and will fail you over the smallest things.

If there's one thing I won't miss is the ridiculous wait times to book the tests. It always had taken me at a minimum, 3 weeks to book a road test.

Failed G2 cause of dick examiner. Second examiner was calm and gave directions clearly and didn't make approving or disapproving sounds throughout.

Worried about full G that I will have to take at some point.

LEAFS AGE REPRESENT!! Lead us to victoly oh great kave man!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
whatever happened to the supposed aquarium they were building at the base of the CN Tower?

That and the new pavilion for the CN Tower are still under construction. I think the aquarium is on schedule to 'open in 2013', but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

edit: From UrbanToronto, looking down from the glass floor of the CN Tower into the construction zone.

8cD0il.jpg

That and the new pavilion for the CN Tower are still under construction. I think the aquarium is on schedule to 'open in 2013', but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

I would like to see what fish they will put in it. I'm particularly interested to find out what the Lake Ontario fish look like now. Hoping Blinky will make an appearance.

Brinbe

What exactly is so bad about the dome for baseball?

Nothing in the summer, when the roof's usually open. It's perfectly fine and the atmosphere's great, especially with good crowds like the Halladay and Alomar game last year. However, many feel it lacks any atmosphere when it's closed and it's akin to a mausoleum. It is a shame that we missed out on the retro stadium renaissance by about 4/5 years, but personally, I don't mind it and wouldn't expect a replacement for 20/30 years.

Hieberrr

Maybe it's just me, but the Rogers Centre looks really dull and lifeless. The fans help keep things interesting, but as a building, it really has no personality.

I agree, it is sort of dull in terms of how it's built (mainly all of the concord areas). But I was always under the impression that the actual seating area/field were good. I guess not LOL. I know while I was working there (3 years ago), they renovated all of the 100 level concourses which made it look much nicer. MUUUCH nicer.

Nothing in the summer, when the roof's usually open. It's perfectly fine and the atmosphere's great, especially with good crowds like the Halladay and Alomar game last year. However, many feel it lacks any atmosphere when it's closed and it's akin to a mausoleum. It is a shame that we missed out on the retro stadium renaissance by about 4/5 years, but personally, I don't mind it and wouldn't expect a replacement for 20/30 years.

Yeah, I guess I can see that now that I think about it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What exactly is so bad about the dome for baseball?

The stadium itself is way too big for a baseball stadium. I mean, they don't even sell out the Argo games at the stadium, so you almost never see it used to capacity. Even when the roof is open it doesn't have the atmosphere of a lot of great parks, because it's still only a quarter capacity.

And there's nothing a lot more pleasant about a stadium with a short, open top. Imagine a stadium with a back drop to the lake, or actually having a view of the city. This would also mean they'd be playing on actual grass, which is better for the athletes playing because turf, even the new rubber grass, does have a pronounced effect on the knees and ankles.

For instance these are newer stadiums that have gone up in the last ten years that could be comparable.

hB4hp.jpg

bps2n.jpg

AYebN.jpg

Rpy16.jpg

Even Miller Park (see below), that has a retractable roof (although much faster, and quiet in comparison) was built with real grass in mind. They have panes of glass around the outfield, allowing in natural light and allowing real grass to grow.

wYpOQl.jpg

I would attend a lot more Jays games if they actually played in a baseball stadium. After being to so many parks around the US, I can say Rogers Centre is in the pretty underwhelming group of stadiums, and just ahead of really shitty places like the Oakland Coliseum.

Quick

Banned
I agree, it is sort of dull in terms of how it's built (mainly all of the concord areas). But I was always under the impression that the actual seating area/field were good. I guess not LOL. I know while I was working there (3 years ago), they renovated all of the 100 level concourses which made it look much nicer. MUUUCH nicer.

There isn't much you can really do with the playing field, unless they actually put real grass there, which would require some renovation.

I really just think the place needs more colour. The area around it could use an upgrade, which they actually are, sort of.

It would be nice to have something similar to Maple Leaf Square.

Rinoa

These are so gorgeous, I'd kill for our baseball games to be played in such a setting.

Skydome is so depressing, it was only ever full in the first years it opened (and cause things were going well for jays). I have *never* seen it full capacity, which is why it's depressing. All those seats and everyone sparsely filling it up.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
These are so gorgeous, I'd kill for our baseball games to be played in such a setting.

Skydome is so depressing, it was only ever full in the first years it opened (and cause things were going well for jays). I have *never* seen it full capacity, which is why it's depressing. All those seats and everyone sparsely filling it up.

Most baseball stadiums are around 40,000 capacity maximum. Skydome can fit over 70,000. But of course, even at 40,000 it wouldn't raise the 20k-ish level each game. Of course a new stadium might. Too bad we won't see one in a long, long time.

I think that the Skydome is lifeless because it is usually half-empty. There are just way too many seats.
I think the atmosphere is going to be electric for the Toronto FC game though since it seems like it will be close to a sell-out so it should be loud as Hell.

FUCK NEW YORK! WHY DO I HAVE TO GO THERE WHEN THAT GAME IS BEING PLAYED AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
By the way the building (formerly the Big Bop, now CB2) at Queen and Buthurst, which you might know as the 'big ugly purple building' has been restored. Looks great. I hope this means that corner of the city starts to become more desirable. Queen and Spadina is okay. And closer to Trinity Bellwoods is nice. But everything in between is pretty fugly, and a hot spot for panhandling and 'homeless' punk kids.

WkLgQ.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think that the Skydome is lifeless because it is usually half-empty. There are just way too many seats.
I think the atmosphere is going to be electric for the Toronto FC game though since it seems like it will be close to a sell-out so it should be loud as Hell.

FUCK NEW YORK! WHY DO I HAVE TO GO THERE WHEN THAT GAME IS BEING PLAYED AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
For the odd concerts that play at "Rogers Centre", those must sell out, right?

ShaneB

I'll echo any thoughts about how Rogers Centre just feels like such a boring place to go for a ball game. It just feels so sterile and lifeless compared to the other ball parks in the league. It even just feels wrong to say the Jays play at a "Ball Park" when it just feels like a meh catch all venue.

cbox

pokaroo :(

ON a lighter note, anyone hitting up monster jam tomorrow? Going with a bunch of friends, should be a blast!

By the way the building (formerly the Big Bop, now CB2) at Queen and Buthurst, which you might know as the 'big ugly purple building' has been restored. Looks great. I hope this means that corner of the city starts to become more desirable. Queen and Spadina is okay. And closer to Trinity Bellwoods is nice. But everything in between is pretty fugly, and a hot spot for panhandling and 'homeless' punk kids.

WkLgQ.jpg

I love that renovation. It looks great! However, the venue offered more to Toronto than a furniture store. So I'm torn about it.
Queen Street around there has been lame and dead to me for at least 10 years now. It's like all the boring chain stores from the Eaton Centre couldn't be contained anymore and had to pollute the outside world as well.

Quick

Banned

It gets really depressing when you watch on TV and see that most of the fans are at the 100 level, then thins out towards the sides of that level, then nothing up at the 500s. It only really gets this bad with shitty match ups or on a weekday in the spring, with the odd day during the summer.

The home openers still sell out. Go Jays.

Home openers and Canada Day, especially last year with Roy Halladay coming back.

For the odd concerts that play at "Rogers Centre", those must sell out, right?

One positive about the Rogers Centre is the concert atmosphere. The place gets really crowded. The Coldplay concert I went to a few years ago was pretty awesome.

Rinoa

It gets really depressing when you watch on TV and see that most of the fans are at the 100 level, then thins out towards the sides of that level, then nothing up at the 500s. It only really gets this bad with shitty match ups or on a weekday in the spring, with the odd day during the summer.

This is exactly what I mean, it looks really sad. As if there's low turnout and the crowd can't really make any noise.

I love that renovation. It looks great! However, the venue offered more to Toronto than a furniture store. So I'm torn about it.
Queen Street around there has been lame and dead to me for at least 10 years now. It's like all the boring chain stores from the Eaton Centre couldn't be contained anymore and had to pollute the outside world as well.

That's why it's called "eaton centre west", same crap as Eaton centre is on queen west.

I loathe that intersection at night as a female. As someone said, lotta panhandlers and punk kids, you name it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm really not sure what the point of comparing Roger's Centre to all those open stadiums is. I'm glad that half the games aren't rained out, personally.

Because they're actually baseball parks. Even Miller Park, which has a retractable roof, is a real baseball stadium, with actual grass, and capacity in mind for baseball. Rogers Centre is just like others have said, a place designed for 'everything', which means it's probably not perfect for anything. Especially baseball.

The experience in many other ball parks far exceeds what you'll ever get had Rogers Centre. And plenty of other teams in cities with similar weather manage to play outside without half their games being rained out. Don't apologize for Rogers. They're running a business and they think what they have and own is good enough. But trying to build a defense for the place is another matter entirely because it is not up to par with modern ball parks, or even some historical ball parks that have been updated over the years.

Because they're actually baseball parks. Even Miller Park, which has a retractable roof, is a real baseball stadium, with actual grass, and capacity in mind for baseball. Rogers Centre is just like others have said, a place designed for 'everything', which means it's probably not perfect for anything. Especially baseball.

The experience in many other ball parks far exceeds what you'll ever get had Rogers Centre. And plenty of other teams in cities with similar weather manage to play outside without half their games being rained out. Don't apologize for Rogers. They're running a business and they think what they have and own is good enough. But trying to build a defense for the place is another matter entirely because it is not up to par with modern ball parks, or even some historical ball parks that have been updated over the years.

Capacity of Skydome is fine; it certainly was when they were selling out every single night in the early 90's. I've been to 25 of the MLB stadiums; I'd put Roger's Centre near the bottom so I am by no means calling it perfect. But it's fine to watch a baseball game, especially in the summer with the roof open. And Rogers is cheap, to expect them to build a new stadium is foolish

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Who else hates being a sports fan in this city? I'm sitting here watching a raptors game for the first time this season, and they're losing (of course), with no real hope of accomplishing anything this season, other than a high lottery finish. The leafs, after starting off strong, are now ninth in their conference, and the blue jays have done jack shit this off season to improve their chances in that division they're in. Our teams are fucking awful.

Well to let you know Raptors went into this season saying they weren't expecting much and are looking for a high draft pick. It's going to take a while for them but they are going in the right direction. Dwane Casey is an excellent hire at coach and has already drastically improved the defense of the team.

...and thats why the Leafs will never go anywhere. How can you be a a hardcore Leafs fan and say its not bad?

Because right now it's not that bad. Since Burke's come in he's filled our prospect depth to a ridiculous amount. He's turned an aging piece of shit team into one of the youngest in the league that have huge upside. They went into the season expecting to be a bubble team and are living up to that right now. Most people see if things keep going as they are that soon the Leafs will be back up actually competing for a Stanley Cup.

Failed G2 cause of dick examiner. Second examiner was calm and gave directions clearly and didn't make approving or disapproving sounds throughout.

Worried about full G that I will have to take at some point.

LEAFS AGE REPRESENT!! Lead us to victoly oh great kave man!

I'll do what I can sir! I must pick up the mantle for our lord and saviour Manics.

Pfft Wrestlemania 18................UFC 128 completely and utterly destroyed any event ever held at Skydome :)

And there are some cool things around Queen and Bathurst, mainly Tattoo and Velvet Underground :p

And the best shithole "club" in Toronto - Fun Haus........until it closed down lol

Anyone having issues with Rogers internet?

When I connect the PC directly to the internet its not working at all.......so either Rogers is down or the modem is dead even though all the lights are coming on........

I'm tethering on my Wind Blackberry right now, yay for unlimited data......

Entropia

No One Remembers
rock vs hogan ... epic!

we need to have another wm in toronto

There had been rumours about about next year it being in Toronto but that's been nixed.

McMahon hates Toronto because we have a tendency to be backwards in who we cheer for.

Though the PPV in June is going to be held in Toronto. It's either called "Bragging Rites" Or "Fatal 4 Way".

Black-Box

edit: From UrbanToronto, looking down from the glass floor of the CN Tower into the construction zone.

8cD0il.jpg

haven't been down there in years, but I am surprised there's enough room for a aquarium, but I also think they should of picked a better location, it should have its own space, like the science center/Rom.

Azih

haven't been down there in years, but I am surprised there's enough room for a aquarium, but I also think they should of picked a better location, it should have its own space, like the science center/Rom.

I don't know. A lot of things in Toronto are just crazy spaced out. The Science Center is incredibly hard for tourists to get to for example. There's a lot of dead space around the CN tower anyway.

Edit:

Also there's actually some push back on Ford's idiotic plan to hide scary trains from all cars everywhere:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-suburban-stretch-of-eglinton/article2311140/

Opinion of Karen Stintz going up.

Black-Box

Anyone having issues with Rogers internet?

When I connect the PC directly to the internet its not working at all.......so either Rogers is down or the modem is dead even though all the lights are coming on........

I'm tethering on my Wind Blackberry right now, yay for unlimited data......

wouldn't be rogers without issues. did you read the fine print on your blackberry data? I know some of the unlimited data plans, don't include using computers..could be wrong

Top Bottom