• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

ElNino

Most baseball stadiums are around 40,000 capacity maximum. Skydome can fit over 70,000. But of course, even at 40,000 it wouldn't raise the 20k-ish level each game. Of course a new stadium might. Too bad we won't see one in a long, long time.
The Skydome certainly isn't an ideal baseball stadium, but seating capacity isn't really one if it's issues. I've been going to Jays games since the early 80's and was at the Dome for the ALCS and World Series games and the atmosphere was fantastic for those. Even for regular season games in the early 90's, you had to pay double face value for tickets in the 500s for almost every game. The strike unfortunately killed all the momentum the team had built up over the previous decade and they have struggled to get back even to where they are now.

I imagine the Jays will likely never see their popularity back to those levels, and I don't really think a new stadium will solve much of their issues.

EDIT: Also, the Dome can't fit 70k in it's baseball configuration. I think the max it can seat is around 55k for that.

McMahon hates Toronto because we have a tendency to be backwards in who we cheer for.

I love how the Toronto crowds always cheer for the bad guys. It really throws off the wrestler's routine. I don't even like wrestling but I watched a few of the old ones in Toronto just to see the crowd screw up the wrestlers.

cbox

Went to monster jam yesterday at the skydome and it was amazing, the sound was incredible. I've always liked going to the skydome, will continue to do so! Though I can't stand baseball...

Wrestlemania 18 was sold out too. Great atmosphere for Hogan's return. o_O

I was way in in the nosebleeds for that, but it was still amazing.

Ten years ago already.

There had been rumours about about next year it being in Toronto but that's been nixed.

McMahon hates Toronto because we have a tendency to be backwards in who we cheer for.

Though the PPV in June is going to be held in Toronto. It's either called "Bragging Rites" Or "Fatal 4 Way".

I remember when RAW returned to Toronto for the first time after a loooong time. The crowd still wasn't over the Montreal Screwjob. There were more fights in the stands than in the ring, and, this is the only time I recall ever seeing this happen, the final match of the night had all sorts of drinks and other such things thrown into the ring as it was going on. The wrestlers were soaked with pop, and even turned and threw stuff back at the crowd a few times.

That was quite a show.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Stintz backs surface LRT for portions of Eglinton line

I thought someone mentioned they already started digging this line. Did they start in the middle part that would be buried either way? Was I misinformed and they haven't started yet? I'm just curious how feasible it is to change it to this much more sensible plan at this point.

Looks like they started digging around Bicknell Ave, which would have been the far west station. I think the original plans had the streetcar going back to the surface after Dufferin, but regardless, it's not a huge deal / length on the west side.

East of Yonge is where the expense is. Population and traffic thin out a lot after Mt Pleasant, and building it underground for another three kms after that point would be really, really expensive in comparison.

I hope Stintz stick to her guns. She's so tough to read. Half the time it seems like she's going to do the logical thing and then she goes back to the towing the Ford line.

For your information, if you want to read more on the Eglinton LRT you can visit the official site: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/

I hope Stintz stick to her guns. She's so tough to read. Half the time it seems like she's going to do the logical thing and then she goes back to the towing the Ford line.

For your information, if you want to read more on the Eglinton LRT you can visit the official site: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/

Some of the comments on the BlogTO site seem to think that Stintz is trying to pretend to stop Ford while really diverting the saved money to the Sheppard Subway project. The reason being that there is some noise behind the scenes to bring back parts of the Transit City plan.
Who knows though?

Personally, I think the most important thing is to get the Eglinton Line built in any way possible and not let all the in-fighting delay it any longer.

Roto13

Anyone having issues with Rogers internet?

When I connect the PC directly to the internet its not working at all.......so either Rogers is down or the modem is dead even though all the lights are coming on........

I'm tethering on my Wind Blackberry right now, yay for unlimited data......

My internet connection is being all slow and unreliable. I'm with TekSavvy but I guess I can probably blame Rogers.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I love how the Toronto crowds always cheer for the bad guys. It really throws off the wrestler's routine. I don't even like wrestling but I watched a few of the old ones in Toronto just to see the crowd screw up the wrestlers.

What I always enjoyed about the WWE coming up to Toronto.

Although for that Wrestlemania match between the Rock and Hogan it shows they aren't just some idiots who get in there and stick to the script. They both realized what was going on and slowly tested the crowd then they full on made Hogan the face while Rock was doing more of the heel stuff.

I really appreciated that when I watched it in Skydome.

6688424223_95e94bf46b_b.jpg

A very nice photo taken from a tower in the financial district. If you look closely, you can see the Mississauga skyline in the distance.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Some of the comments on the BlogTO site seem to think that Stintz is trying to pretend to stop Ford while really diverting the saved money to the Sheppard Subway project. The reason being that there is some noise behind the scenes to bring back parts of the Transit City plan.
Who knows though?

Personally, I think the most important thing is to get the Eglinton Line built in any way possible and not let all the in-fighting delay it any longer.

Agreed. Eglinton LRT was the most important part of Transit City, given how populated Eglinton is between Dufferin and Yonge roughly, and it must go through.

Not sure about Stintz's motive, but she always seems to have some sort of hidden agenda that comes out later.. usually around the time that she has to vote on something. I guess if we can use money saved on the Eglinton LRT being completely underground, and put it toward the Shep extension, why not? Seems like Ford is going to build his tiny subway extension one way, or another.

6688424223_95e94bf46b_b.jpg

A very nice photo taken from a tower in the financial district. If you look closely, you can see the Mississauga skyline in the distance.

Awesome photo, looking down King St. You can make out the Humber Bay Arc Bridge barely (right around me!) and the Absolute World towers really stand out on the Mississauga skyline. Here are two photos of mine taken from downtown Mississauga in summer 2010. Notice the Absolute World tower being worked on. Not quite as good in quality as the other photo. ;)

nqnkm.jpg

l40od.jpg

wouldn't be rogers without issues. did you read the fine print on your blackberry data? I know some of the unlimited data plans, don't include using computers..could be wrong

It doesn't include tethering but they really don't have a way of preventing it, and I'm pay-before so if they charge me anything extra I'd know already

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Holy shit at the new Tim Horton's cup sizes. I said XL just to try it, and damn.
It's so stupid. Instead of calling the new size 2XL they changed the names of all the cup sizes so people who are used to saying they want a Medium will now be getting the old Large or feel like a kid and ask for a Small.

450_new_tim_hortons_cup_sizes_120116.jpg

EDIT: Did the old Small give a roll up the rim prize before?

Not sure about Stintz's motive, but she always seems to have some sort of hidden agenda that comes out later.. usually around the time that she has to vote on something. I guess if we can use money saved on the Eglinton LRT being completely underground, and put it toward the Shep extension, why not? Seems like Ford is going to build his tiny subway extension one way, or another.

What I'm really hoping is that Stintz has actually changed her mind. Ford put her in a role where she was going to get a serious education, whether he liked it or not.

She's been running the show for a year, she's had all kinds of studies and info put on her desk, she's had her hands on all the raw numbers, she's listened to all the complaints, inside and out, she's seen everything from the inside and even went undercover to get a really good look at the very roots of the operation.

Unless she's cut from the exact same inflexible fabric that the Ford Bros are, that may be enough to make her see the reality of the situation at hand.

Azih

It's so stupid. Instead of calling the new size 2XL they changed the names of all the cup sizes so people who are used to saying they want a Medium will now be getting the old Large or feel like a kid and ask for a Small.

Old Small new Extra Small did not.

I'm going to go order an Extra Small just for the hells of it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
saw someone order an XL "4x4" yesterday. was white as fresh snow.

pure diabeeeeeetus

I've seen a 4x4 medium before. Must be 85% cream and 15% coffee.

Tim's in the only coffee I'll take sugar in, because I need it to cover up the terrible taste. At least Timbits are still good.

Dyno

They probably grab a million bucks in the first week from people ordering their old sizes.

Fuzzy

The Fords lost about 10 pounds each in their first week. Maybe somebody should tell them it's not healthy to loose weight that fast. They're booth going to rebound fast once they stop this.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Fords lost about 10 pounds each in their first week. Maybe somebody should tell them it's not healthy to loose weight that fast. They're booth going to rebound fast once they stop this.

They don't have the right mindset anyway. They're probably not going to make and stick with the life style changes that they'll need to keep it off and be healthy. But if they do, good for them. I agree with you though, they'll put it back on.

Fuzzy

They don't have the right mindset anyway. They're probably not going to make and stick with the life style changes that they'll need to keep it off and be healthy. But if they do, good for them. I agree with you though, they'll put it back on.
That's the thing though, if they put it back on they'll put even more on and that would be worse than if they did nothing. I don't like either of them but I don't want to see these guys have heart attacks over a stupid publicity stunt.

I just don't drink coffee at all

I may get a hot chocolate every now and then, but would never buy something that big, I'll stick to new small

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I used to realy like tim horton's coffee. But then I decided to tone down how much cream/sugar I'd put in. The closer you get to black, the more clear it becomes just how terrible it is.

I used to realy like tim horton's coffee. But then I decided to tone down how much cream/sugar I'd put it. The closer you get to black, the more clear it becomes just how terrible it is.

Bingo. A friend and I noticed this as well. Double-doubles were always great, but when you scaled it back, it wasn't so good.

I used to realy like tim horton's coffee. But then I decided to tone down how much cream/sugar I'd put in. The closer you get to black, the more clear it becomes just how terrible it is.

I agree. Much prefer Dark Horse, Thor or hell even Starbucks at this point.
Not necessarily a fair comparison since those are all double the price but still.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't even mind cheap coffee. We brew whatever is on sale at home (usually low end brands like Folgers, or Maxwell House, occasionally Kirkland), but I brew it pretty strongly and it taste okay. Tim's coffee is so incredibly weak and you can just taste how awful it is.

By the way, Tim Horton's hot chocolate is also terrible. Both the in store and take home cans. You can put spoon full after spoon full in, but it still taste like nothing!

I agree. Much prefer Dark Horse, Thor or hell even Starbucks at this point.
Not necessarily a fair comparison since those are all double the price but still.

Well, I think McDonald's has a better bean than Tim's now if you're heading the cheap coffee route. You can get a muffin with your coffee for about fifteen cents more as well, where Tim's would cost you nearly a buck. $1.77 for large coffee and a muffin. Not too bad, just make sure the McDonalds you go to has fresh muffins. One at Runnymede and Bloor has great muffins, but the McDonalds at Roncesvalles has muffins harder than rock.

I always thought their whole gimmick was basically brewing coffee for people that don't like coffee but need caffeine.
They make the weakest possible coffee so that the flavour is drowned out by the milk and sugar because that is what appeals to most people.
They knew what the public wanted before the public even knew they wanted it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't include tethering but they really don't have a way of preventing it, and I'm pay-before so if they charge me anything extra I'd know already

poooooooooooooooooooooooor carlton :'(

Timmy's is disgusting. Thankfully, in my area there is
Dark Horse
Te Aro
Mercury
place that sells Balzacs
etc
etc
etc

TONS near here.

And my wife still gets Starbucks...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Dark Horse
Te Aro
Mercury
place that sells Balzacs
etc
etc
etc

TONS near here.

And my wife still gets Starbucks...

I feel guilty if I'm walking around Roncesvalles, or the Beaches with a Starbucks, or Tim's cup of coffee. All those little (and expensive) indie coffee shops and I'm drinking the massed produced stuff. ;_;

Firestorm

If you guys want good hot chocolate and are ever in Vancouver, check out Blenz. It's like our Second Cup equivalent although pricier. They use belgian chocolate and it's amazing. Much chocolatier than the watery crap you get at McDonalds and Tim Hortons.

Oh and the new cup sizes are what they should have always been called. I would want a small coffee but at Timmies I'd always have to say Medium. Although a side effect of the change is that you now get the old large when you buy a meal.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys want good hot chocolate and are ever in Vancouver, check out Blenz. It's like our Second Cup equivalent although pricier. They use belgian chocolate and it's amazing. Much chocolatier than the watery crap you get at McDonalds and Tim Hortons.

Oh and the new cup sizes are what they should have always been called. I would want a small coffee but at Timmies I'd always have to say Medium. Although a side effect of the change is that you now get the old large when you buy a meal.

You keep your dirty western suggestions in the Vancouver thread! :mad:
Do you guys have coffee bean and tea leaf? I recall it being in Canada somewhere.

Quick

Banned
I'm more of a Second Cup kind of guy with my lattes. Otherwise, Tim's. Not much of a coffee drinker in general, though.

You keep your dirty western suggestions in the Vancouver thread! :mad:
Do you guys have coffee bean and tea leaf? I recall it being in Canada somewhere.

Now now, Blenz really is good. I basically lived off the stuff while I was there for the Games in 2010. Edit to Add: If you want a similarly prepared hot chocolate, Aroma Espresso Bars in TO use milk chocolate solids to prepare theirs.

As for Coffee Bean...I remember seeing a couple places in PATH that had "Coffee Bean" in fancy font but I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Beez

Banned

Being so overweight they're bound to have a few big weeks. It's mostly "water weight" they're down for now I think. The weight loss will slow down.

Beez

Banned

Dark Horse
Te Aro
Mercury
place that sells Balzacs
etc
etc
etc

TONS near here.