• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I just can't believe that's what we're actually getting at Finch. I worry those lanes won't really be bus exclusive in the end.

Yonge and Finch is such a clusterfuck right now, especially for buses. I can't imagine how they're going to squeeze in another lane into there.

Azih

I just can't believe that's what we're actually getting at Finch. I worry those lanes won't really be bus exclusive in the end.

Well that's what Karen Stintz has proposed and it's really early right now. The province has to agree but that seems like it shouldn't be an issue, they just seem to want city council to make up their damn minds already and start getting things built. Really the fact that this is happening is a full on council rebellion against the mayor. Who knows what the Fords and his cronies are planning to do in response. They backed down on the ferris wheel+monorail, they lost on funding cuts in the budget, they need to gear up for upcoming LABOUR DISPUTE ARMAGEDDONS so I'm really hoping that they back down on this as well and quickly.

Azih

Yonge and Finch is such a clusterfuck right now, especially for buses. I can't imagine how they're going to squeeze in another lane into there.

Well if this happens it'll be very similar to the LRT plan just with buses and not light rail in the center. Here's the page for the old Transit City Assessment:

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/etobicoke_finch_w_lrt/index.htm

Chapter 2 has the proposed design for where the things will fit.

Transit City was awesome :(

Mercurial

What about Jet Fuel on Parliament north of Carlton. When I was doing a job down there a few years ago my co-workers loved going there for their coffees. I never tried it but I was wondering if it really was as good as they said.
Best Americano in the city. Love the atmosphere too, great music. Some of the staff are dicks though.

Damn its icy out, saw tons of ice on my drive home and ended up slipping and falling on my ass when I was walking on the driveway at my house =/

and lol @ everything Ford's "enemies" said was going to happen starting to happen.......what a disgrace he is........but at least he is going to lose weight *rolleyes*

DiddyBop

Was that map that evilmario posted a page back the original transit city plan? That seems pretty awesome. How much would that whole plan cost compared to what this subway is going to cost?

and LOL at the don mills to VP subway extension proposal, what a joke, as is the whole sheppard line as it is. That subway needs to be extended to STC.

Azih

Was that map that evilmario posted a page back the original transit city plan? That seems pretty awesome. How much would that whole plan cost compared to what this subway is going to cost?
All those lines would have been built with funding the province had already comitted to (8 billion). LRT is massively cheaper to build than subways. That one billion dollars for extending the Sheppard line to Victoria Park would build a whole lot of LRT on Finch and Sheppard.

daemonic

Banned
Where are some good places to go for a first date? Somewhere for a coffee or drink. I usually do Future cafe in the annex or C'est What in St. Lawrence Market but would like to check out some new places. Suggestions? Anywhere dt works.

grumble

Ugh, Ford says he still wants subways

Everyone WANTS subways. Toronto has freezing cold winters and hot humid summers, making waiting around for a streetcar or bus often pretty unpleasant. The streetcars and buses are also very unreliable timing-wise. They can not come for a half hour then you get four of them in a row. They're extremely slow, too.

Unquestionably, HAVING subways is an important part of good transit in Toronto (especially since most roads can't accommodate a dedicated streetcar lane).

The issue is that they cost too damn much. Building subways in developed city is a nightmare! We can't do it.

Ugh, Ford says he still wants subways

Is anyone genuinely surprised by this?

Everyone WANTS subways. Toronto has freezing cold winters and hot humid summers, making waiting around for a streetcar or bus often pretty unpleasant. The streetcars and buses are also very unreliable timing-wise. They can not come for a half hour then you get four of them in a row. They're extremely slow, too.

Unquestionably, HAVING subways is an important part of good transit in Toronto (especially since most roads can't accommodate a dedicated streetcar lane).

The issue is that they cost too damn much. Building subways in developed city is a nightmare! We can't do it.

Obviously subways are ideal. There's no question about that. But as you said, the cost.

LRTs aren't as bad as streetcars because they run in their own dedicated right of way, and don't stop every block. These things are much faster than what you expect.

Where are some good places to go for a first date? Somewhere for a coffee or drink. I usually do Future cafe in the annex or C'est What in St. Lawrence Market but would like to check out some new places. Suggestions? Anywhere dt works.

Future Bakery and Cest What are both good choices. If you like those, have you considered Victory Cafe or Mill Street Brewpub?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Reminds me I need a good idea for a second date. Any quirky places anyone can think of?

Divvy

Reminds me I need a good idea for a second date. Any quirky places anyone can think of?

Guu! That place oozes happiness, so it's a good place to have a date. Though you should sit in the traditional seating section or else you won't be able to hear each other.

daemonic

Banned
Mill Street Brewery in the Distillery right? I've been a few times, great suggestion. Is Victory cafe next to 7 West? Don't think I've tried it before.. will look into it.

As for Guu, my friends the supervisor there so I indulge way too much.. No waiting in line :) Taking a break for now but agreed, the atmosphere is great.

Mill Street Brewery in the Distillery right? I've been a few times, great suggestion. Is Victory cafe next to 7 West? Don't think I've tried it before.. will look into it.

Victory Cafe is a pub in the Annex on that cute small street next to Honest Eds. It gets busy sometimes so I try to only go on weekdays. Yeah, Mill Street is in the Distillery. I like going there because it also gives me the chance just to walk through that area. It's beautiful.

Presco

Seems to be a given with coffee shops in this city :/

Ideal Coffee in Kensington is the place for you my friend. Yes, you have to wade through the hippies to get inside (it's not so bad really) but the staff are super cool and in my mind, the coffee / latte / americano can't be beat. You can also buy a nice selection of freshly roasted beans for reasonable prices. I love that place.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Getting away from the transit talk, I watched a report on a doughnut place called Glory Hole Doughnuts on CityNews. They look awesome and I want some but I'm guessing they won't deliver all the way to Scarborough but I'm going to email them and ask. They don't have a shop right now although their Facebook page mentions they're looking for a space right now and they're considering Queen and Roncesvalles. Scroll through the menu and tell me they don't look awesome.

http://www.gloryholedoughnuts.com/menu/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God, I wish I still had that Louis CK screen cap handy.

Ah, yep:
NHB2j.png

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Guu! That place oozes happiness, so it's a good place to have a date. Though you should sit in the traditional seating section or else you won't be able to hear each other.

Looks pretty awesome guess I'll check it out...

You bastard. I love that place but hate waiting.

Yeah there's no way in hell I'd go otherwise if I had to stand in that huge line. I don't think they ever plan on taking reservations either.. people are willing to wait hours just to get in.

Oh. :(

If you go right at opening (5pm) there's a much better chance of being seated quickly.

I went on a random Thursday at like 8PM and was seated at the bar right away. It was amazing.

Like others, though, if you're there on a date sit in the "traditional seating" area. It's too freaking loud in the main part for a date.

I really enjoyed 7 West when I was in University. They've got some decent cake.

Toni Bulloni's is good for Italian fare, decent wine list, "intimate" but not snotty, but call ahead there because they'll do events that book out the entire restaurant.

Stet

Banned
Yeah there's no way in hell I'd go otherwise if I had to stand in that huge line. I don't think they ever plan on taking reservations either.. people are willing to wait hours just to get in.

Oh yeah definitely...... free hook ups for all

I once waited for a Guu table for 2 hours. And it was totally worth every second. I've been there more than any other "high end" restaurant in the city.

I once waited for a Guu table for 2 hours. And it was totally worth every second. I've been there more than any other "high end" restaurant in the city.

Yeesh. If I were waiting that long I'd just walk down the street to Sushi on Bloor. Still a wait, but it's half an hour, half the price, and rather delicious sushi, all things considered.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I see there's one on Church and one on Bloor (Sakabar).

Any difference between these two? Off of a quick look seems Sakabar as it's name says is more a bar not a restaurant?

Yeesh. If I were waiting that long I'd just walk down the street to Sushi on Bloor. Still a wait, but it's half an hour, half the price, and rather delicious sushi, all things considered.

If you are down that way and want sushi, just skip sushi on bloor and go to Sushi Couture. Trust me. I'm going to keep repeating this advice in this thread until eventually one person listens to me!

Stet

Banned
So I see there's one on Church and one on Bloor (Sakabar).

Any difference between these two? Off of a quick look seems Sakabar as it's name says is more a bar not a restaurant?

They both have the same atmosphere. I've been to the Church one more frequently because it's closer to home, but they're of equal quality. They just have slightly different menus. The Bloor one is well-liked for their Japanese Udon Carbonara.

Rinoa

I could never wait longer than 20 mins for seating at dinner, nobody has that kinda time and my stomach would go crazy!

Gobo Sushi > Bloor/Couture
It's not on bloor tho, only drawback (maybe)

Quadratic

To me Guu has always been a drink first kind of place. The food never really wowed me because a lot of it tends to be deep fried. I do have to give plus points for the carbonara at Sakabar. The atmosphere is certainly a large part on why I like going there. Although Guu is more like a restaurant here Izakaya's tend to be bars that happen to serve food. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izakaya

Rinoa

Anyone live in the Junction? I need some honest opinions about the Bloor/Lansdowne area, I know it's sketch but there are promises of gentrification and Ubisoft moved in... thono idea what will happen to the poisoned TTC lot.

Divvy

My friends and I went to the Corned Beef house yesterday, was pretty good sandwiches! Love Reubens. Though it wasn't as good as montreal smoked meats, it was still pretty great.

After that we caught a Second City show, I think it was called Dreams really go come true? Or something like that. That was a great show, had some ridiculously good laughs too. I think it's ending soon so I definitely recommend that people check it out.

Anyone live in the Junction? I need some honest opinions about the Bloor/Lansdowne area, I know it's sketch but there are promises of gentrification and Ubisoft moved in... thono idea what will happen to the poisoned TTC lot.

Bloor/Landsdowne isn't the Junction, it's Bloordale. The Junction proper is Keele/Dundas. The "Junction Triangle" is the weird little area between Bloor/Landsdowne and Dupont/Dundas which is basically a low income neighbourhood with train tracks running through it.

Anyways, I've lived either at or very close to Bloor/Landsdowne for over 5 years. Love the neighborhood...it's only gotten better now that there's bars/cafes/restaurants that don't just cater to crackheads.

It still gets sketchy at night, especially on the Coffee Time corner, but it's never bothered me. Ubisoft is still about a 7-10 min walk north of the intersection, so it has had virtually zero effect on anything in the area other than a decent cafe/brunch spot opening across the street from it.

Rinoa

Bloor/Landsdowne isn't the Junction, it's Bloordale. The Junction proper is Keele/Dundas. The "Junction Triangle" is the weird little area between Bloor/Landsdowne and Dupont/Dundas which is basically a low income neighbourhood with train tracks running through it.

Anyways, I've lived either at or very close to Bloor/Landsdowne for over 5 years. Love the neighborhood...it's only gotten better now that there's bars/cafes/restaurants that don't just cater to crackheads.

It still gets sketchy at night, especially on the Coffee Time corner, but it's never bothered me. Ubisoft is still about a 7-10 min walk north of the intersection, so it has had virtually zero effect on anything in the area other than a decent cafe/brunch spot opening across the street from it.

Thanks, it's def the Junction Triangle then. I'm considering a property near Ubisoft but the view of the empty (and dunno how toxic) lot and general area is what troubles me.

I haven't been there late at night to know what it's like and I also haven't shopped for groceries/take out dinner in that area. I saw a lot of thrift/dollarama type places but not grocery food places.

Thanks, it's def the Junction Triangle then. I'm considering a property near Ubisoft but the view of the empty (and dunno how toxic) lot and general area is what troubles me.

I haven't been there late at night to know what it's like and I also haven't shopped for groceries/take out dinner in that area. I saw a lot of thrift/dollarama type places but not grocery food places.

Yeah, you're screwed when it comes to grocery stores, depending on exactly where you'll be everything will be at least a 20 min walk away.

Closest options are the Price Chopper at Galleria (ugliest/sketchiest/saddest mall in Toronto by far), No Frills at Dufferin Mall, No Frills at Dundas/Landsdowne or the FreshCo/Lawblaws at Dundas/Bloor.

Rinoa

Yeah, you're screwed when it comes to grocery stores, depending on exactly where you'll be everything will be at least a 20 min walk away.

Closest options are the Price Chopper at Galleria (ugliest/sketchiest/saddest mall in Toronto by far), No Frills at Dufferin Mall, No Frills at Dundas/Landsdowne or the FreshCo/Lawblaws at Dundas/Bloor.

I haven't been in the Galleria since the late 80s for a ballet recital... looks like it hasn't even changed. I have eaten at the McDs outside there a few times recently + got drivethru from there. Never stayed long nor used the bathroom but it seemed clean.

How often does the Lansdowne bus run? I went by the station during rush hour and a huge crowd was waiting for buses, not huge like Dufferin levels but still pretty big.. made me worry that the Lansdowne bus might be rare like Christie.

Other than the major grocery places, are there small mom&pop shop types? Or have those all died away?

Top Bottom