• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
People kept fighting pool halls here, and they took gazebos out of parks because people who had backyards that backed onto the parks were worried about the people hanging out there at night

Now there are a couple bars in the neighbourhood but that means little now, back when I was 19 it would have been awesome

It was always such an embarrassment to have people come over who didn't live in the area and not have a single bar to take them to that was within walking/cabbing distance.

I like that he says that the "will of the people" is Subways because they voted for Ford, but somehow if the council votes against it that's a "whim of the council" as if nobody voted for them.

I think council more closely represents "the will of the people" because Ford has clearly shown he won't listen to anyone who doesn't already agree with him.

StevieP

Banned
Yeah, yeah, keep talking inferior suburbanite scum.

lmfao and the thread delivers

Clearly, Toronto-Age is going to have to break up.

We are already amalgamated!

If you work in Markham then yeah, I can see why living in Toronto is pointless.

And I work in Etobicoke/Kitchener/Waterloo(/Downtown TO on occasion) on the weekends as well, so being next to the 401 in Scarborough makes a lot more sense than living in a place where having a car is far more frustrating.

Rinoa

Member
Who are these "people" he and Ford keep bringing up?

The people they're talking about would likely say yes anything as long as it seems instant and free.

Azih

Member
Who are these "people" he and Ford keep bringing up?

The people they're talking about would likely say yes anything as long as it seems instant and free.

Well The Star did run a story where they asked random people in Scarborough what they preferred and a lot of them responded with statements like "Yeah, subways sound good, we should build those".

Well The Star did run a story where they asked random people in Scarborough what they preferred and a lot of them responded with statements like "Yeah, subways sound good, we should build those".

I think everyone prefers subways. It's just the baggage attached to building one is unattractive.

Well The Star did run a story where they asked random people in Scarborough what they preferred and a lot of them responded with statements like "Yeah, subways sound good, we should build those".
Which is fine. Hey, I'd like us to get a second airport too.

But, who's going to pay for it, and what would you need to sacrifice to pay for it? Once you throw that into the equation, then you get much more interesting results.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think everyone prefers subways. It's just the baggage attached to building one is unattractive.

Subways are great, but there are a few factors involved. Most notably is cost of building a subway today compared to fifty years ago. You could build 20km of LRT for the cost of 1km of underground subway.

And there's population density issues. You wouldn't build a subway up Jane St, because there has to be a huge population there to support it. You can build LRT with much lower expectations. They really screwed up with the Sheppard line, trying to project just how much development there would be. And while there has been development, it's not to the level they needed to justify a subway.. and people still prefer to take the car from that far out in some cases (family of five driving downtown is expensive on the TTC compared to the drive, and it takes a long time to get downtown sometimes too).

People mostly hate LRTs because they picture streetcars on Queen St, 'blocking traffic'. But designed properly and giving them right of way, LRTs are a great benefit.

Azih

Member
Which is fine. Hey, I'd like us to get a second airport too.

But, who's going to pay for it, and what would you need to sacrifice to pay for it? Once you throw that into the equation, then you get much more interesting results.

Rob Ford does not find such things interesting.

Well The Star did run a story where they asked random people in Scarborough what they preferred and a lot of them responded with statements like "Yeah, subways sound good, we should build those".

I'd like a $50,000 car and a $1,000,000 house, too.

Of course everyone wants subways. I want subways. I want a subways system that looks like this:

YiCEpl.png

But the financial reality just makes it impossible to do. The fact is LRT's will service way more people than subways for the same amount of money. Ford keeps saying he's some sort of business expert focused on efficiency but leave it to him to keep suggesting the most expensive option that services a fraction of the city.

EvilMario: I'm curious if you could see your place in that photo I posted earlier today? It was the correct part of town at least, yeah?

EvilMario: I'm curious if you could see your place in that photo I posted earlier today? It was the correct part of town at least, yeah?

I doubt it.

My detective/stalker skills tell me he has a dog and has mentioned high park a bunch before so he's probably closer to Bloor and somewhere along the lines of Windemere or Ellis Ave.

If he lived there (in your picture I mean) he'd go to a different dog park closer to the lake (Humber West).

What kinda dog do you have Mario? I'm at high park everyday with my pooch, Gus.

295976_10150357412700412_596480411_10174691_5820306_n.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You can't see our place in that photo. We're in one of the smaller apartment buildings north on Windermere (south of the roundabout). If you're ever coming up Windermere, look for the windows with all the sprites in the window. But you were in the right direction, added. :p

o7YWWl.jpg

Interrobanger, we have a lab / whippet mix. Shelter rescue we've had for 5 years (he's six now). We rarely make it to High Park, and if we do, we stick along the west end trail. Dog Hill is so busy and crazy. Thankfully, we have an off leash park close by in Rennie Park.

Hfij6.jpg

This is how pathetically desperate Ford's become:

From: "Councillor Moeser"
To: "Mayor Ford"

Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 16:22:16

Subject: Offer of assistance to attend City Council meeting February8th, 2011

Mr. Mayor,

Thank you for the generous offer of transportation to tomorrow's very important Council Meeting.

I regretfully must decline, as the current condition of the skin grafts, intravenous medication and the potential for infection/additional surgeries is limiting my ability to attend meetings at this time. I am hopeful that the surgeries are behind me, but do not want to risk further complications.

Again, thank you for your offer.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thegoods/2...iling-ally-from-sickbed-for-transit-vote.html

Fucking pathetic.

E-DuB

Member
It's actually pretty sad that he feels this threatened by tomorrow's vote that to reach out to another Councillor in such a manner.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
He's just trying to be a nice guy. Next he'll offer to have a sterile bubble erected in council chambers so he won't have to worry about an infection that can kill him.

If only Rob didn't work so hard dismantling that gravy train to city hall, wouldn't even have to offer the dude a ride.

Quadratic

Member
I wish we had a subway like NYC as well. But it does have it's pro's and con's. The big pro is that it's very extensive. It was built with express trains in mind. Therefore you can run trains 24 hours a day and run track maintenance at the same time. The reason why the TTC isn't 24/7 is the single lines we have. Cons are that most of the lines are way overcrowded at rush hour and since the subway was built over a century ago a lot of maintenance happen all the time (even with dual tracks). Such as lines not running all weekend or missing a whole bunch of stops by passing local stops. Another gross factor is the heat and humidity in the summer. I think it gets hotter in the tunnels than above ground.

It's impossible to build something like that nowadays without it costing an obscene amount of money that we don't have.

Which is fine. Hey, I'd like us to get a second airport too.

But, who's going to pay for it, and what would you need to sacrifice to pay for it? Once you throw that into the equation, then you get much more interesting results.

You mean third.

Otherwise, yes. Walking around asking people what they want without context and comparisons ("would you prefer to spend money on one subway or 10 LRT lines" / "one subway line or a rail link between Union and Pearson") is unscientific, inconclusive, and thusly worthless.

It's like asking if people like puppies.

I think council more closely represents "the will of the people" because Ford has clearly shown he won't listen to anyone who doesn't already agree with him.

At least he doesn't invoke Hitler to disparage his political opponents.

Instead, his brother just says that anyone who disagrees with their plan is betraying those that hired them.

From what I gather, people are backing Stintz for learning her file and making a judgement based on what she knows - even at a potentially career-limiting cost.

You mean third.

Otherwise, yes. Walking around asking people what they want without context and comparisons ("would you prefer to spend money on one subway or 10 LRT lines" / "one subway line or a rail link between Union and Pearson") is unscientific, inconclusive, and thusly worthless.

It's like asking if people like puppies.
A crap. Right. Island airport. I was in the mindset of a international airport (which, IIRC, was always under consideration but never going beyond that).

A crap. Right. Island airport. I was in the mindset of a international airport (which, IIRC, was always under consideration but never going beyond that).

Technically, the Island Airport is International. Starting this spring, Porter will even start flying to Dulles.

And, with lower landing fees than Pearson, airfares are generally lower (and Porter has 50% off sales it seems every three months).

Yes, I'm a walking ad for the Island Airport/Porter.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Yes, I'm a walking ad for the Island Airport/Porter.
My brother who lives in Brampton and works at Pearson would rather fly with Porter when he has to go to the east coast of the US. Hell, he's even gone down to Buffalo on a couple of occasions instead of flying out of Pearson.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't think anyone here would actively choose Pearson over Island/Porter if they were given the choice.

I've never really had a bad time traveling out of Pearson (although I've never be there during the holidays). It's just the getting there that's the issue.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...air-line-not-so-bad-after-all/article2330468/

It’s a phrase that’s become something of a slogan for LRT opponents in recent years – don’t approve “another St. Clair.” As Mayor Rob Ford put it at a news conference last spring to unveil his below-grade transportation strategy up for debate Wednesday: “Our new plan will not add to the gridlock faced by Toronto drivers every day, like we see on St. Clair Avenue West.”

The numbers, however, tell a starkly different tale. Since the June, 2010, completion of the right-of-way from Yonge Street to Gunns Loop, overall traffic and peak-period volumes have fallen sharply; transit ridership has jumped 13 per cent, while service frequency has improved; and collisions and personal injuries have plummeted by a third, according to city and TTC data compiled by The Globe and Mail. The St. Clair line now ranks eighth for productivity (boardings per hour) among the TTC’s 150 surface routes (the top spot belongs to the Spadina LRT), according to Mitch Stambler, the TTC’s manager of service planning.

Msgvd.jpg

Another nail.

Onemic

Member
Anyone in TorontoGAF play any instruments? I've been playing the drums for 3 years and I've yet to have anyone around that I can jam with. Playing the drums and never having the opportunity to play with other musicians is really limiting my growth.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've never really had a bad time traveling out of Pearson (although I've never be there during the holidays). It's just the getting there that's the issue.
I've never had problems leaving Pearson but it's cheaper to fly out of the Island and for places that the Island doesn't service Buffalo is a pretty good alternative if you don't mind the drive. On a couple of occasions my brother and his wife went to Niagara Falls for a night out then they crossed the border the next day with his wife driving back home after dropping him off. He told me it was cheaper to do all of that (gas, dinner, motel room, flight) than it was to drive himself to Pearson and park for free (since he works there). Most people don't realize how expensive Pearson is. Hell, remember that snow storm in London last year where a bunch of people were stranded? A few of those unlucky people were driving all the way out there to catch a flight for a vacation because it was a hell of a lot cheaper.

cbox

Member
I love pearson, I live like 10 minutes away :D

I wouldn't in any state of mind ever, EVER fly out of Buffalo. I've been to that cesspool of a city enough to pay extra to fly out of pearson...

Stet

Banned
Stupidest question so far.

"Yes, but--"

"No, I got my answer."

This guy is an idiot. He's asking about things that have no bearing on the situation. Of course a subway is faster. Of course a subway will carry more passengers. But that's not the issue.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I am just appalled at these "fiscal conservatives" seemingly unable to understand cost-effectiveness of a subway.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So uhm... not to sound racist but why have the last three ford-side councillors been italian?

Top Bottom