• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Subprime

This thread needs a best punk bars/venues section. Im going to toronto in the summer but I have no idea what venues (that hold less than 100 people) are good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just had Fordies start responding to me on Twitter. Apparently winning 47% of the vote for Mayor means you more accurately represent the city as a whole than the Council. lol

This thread needs a best punk bars/venues section. Im going to toronto in the summer but I have no idea what venues (that hold less than 100 people) are good.

Hopefully someone here can help you out. Outside of my small knowledge base, I can only add venues and information to the OP that's provided by others. And I sure don't know punk bars. ;_;

I'm sure this will just get lost in all the transit talk but Census Canada has just released the new population figures today.

Toronto's 2011 population is 2,615,060. That is an increase of 4.5% or 111,779 since 2006.
To put that growth into perspective: That is like 1/6th of Boston moving to Toronto in just 5 years.

The Greater Toronto Area also showed huge growth. The new population of the Greater Toronto Area is now 6,115,020 which is an increase of over a million people since 2006.

(This would be a good time to point out that building transit is now more important than ever for us)

and where does this all put Toronto in the context of North America? Here are the top 10 cities in North America by population:

1. Mexico City 8,873,017

2. New York 8,175,133

3. Los Angeles 3,792,621

4. Chicago 2,695,598

5. Toronto 2,615,060

6. Houston 2,099,451

7. Tijuana 1,784,034

8. Escatepec
de Morelos 1,658,806

9. Montreal 1,649,519

10. Philadelphia 1,556,396

(at the current rate of growth, Toronto is going to pass Chicago to become the 4th largest in North America within the next two years)

Ok that is all the stats I can muster for now. I hope you all find it interesting. :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wonder when we'll start including Hamilton in the GTA count. Some of the metropolitan areas in the States extend so far out (like Chicagoland), where some places like the Bay Area don't even include the South Bay (San Jose) in the mix. So tough to really put population in to perspective without a bit of studying.

Exciting to see this sort of growth in the GTA still. I'll have to look at the immigration numbers. 3 million for the city proper in 15 years seems really likely.

Well shit. the GTA really can't handle more people without some serious infrastructure changes...

Just imagine the freeways in 2025 when the GTA is nearing the eight million mark. Yet somehow Transit City is evil, and a six stop subway is the way to go according to Fordies. smh

I wonder when we'll start including Hamilton in the GTA count. Some of the metropolitan areas in the States extend so far out (like Chicagoland), where some places like the Bay Area don't even include the South Bay (San Jose) in the mix. So tough to really put population in to perspective without a bit of studying.

That is true. In some ways, it would make sense to include the whole Golden Horseshoe region in the Toronto area since the economics are definitely totally intertwined. The population of the Golden Horseshoe is well over 8 million.

Since you brought up San Francisco, I will also point out that the San Francisco Transit Agency has honoured Toronto by painting one of their streetcars in the style of the old TTC ones:

San Francisco pays tribute to TTC’s historic Red Rocket

They did this as a tribute to our city for sticking with streetcars and transit at a time when almost every single other city in the US abandoned them after the auto industry lobbied for complete highway and car infrastructure.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Is there a set time for this vote?

If you’re trying to get a sense of the day: currently councillors are questioning City staff about the details of various plans and proposals; this will likely last at least until the lunch break and 12:30. Council will reconvene at 2 p.m., wrap up questions of City staff if there are any left, and then move on to consideration of motions. We know Stintz has one (outlined in the blue box above); quite likely Ford allies will present at least one and possibly several motions meant to counteract Stintz’s. Other motions and amendments are also likely, as individual councillors have ward-specific concerns they want addressed. Councillors will have two opportunities to speak: questioning the mover of any motion, and making a five minute speech on the main item. In short: it’s going to be a long day.

http://torontoist.com/2012/02/transit-showdown-at-city-hall/#more-129968

Rinoa

Toronto's 2011 population is 2,615,060. That is an increase of 4.5% or 111,779 since 2006.
To put that growth into perspective: That is like 1/6th of Boston moving to Toronto in just 5 years.

Word. Toronto is increasing at a rapid rate. And it's just going to keep increasing. More and more condos are being put up and the demand will continue to grow. Also more and more cars keep getting put on the road because our transit infrastructure is simply not keeping up. In fact, it is far behind where it should be for 15 years ago.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/02/how_does_each_toronto_transit_plan_stack_up/

201228-pembina-chart.jpg

Azih

That is true. In some ways, it would make sense to include the whole Golden Horseshoe region in the Toronto area since the economics are definitely totally intertwined. The population of the Golden Horseshoe is well over 8 million.

Since you brought up San Francisco, I will also point out that the San Francisco Transit Agency has honoured Toronto by painting one of their streetcars in the style of the old TTC ones:

San Francisco pays tribute to TTC’s historic Red Rocket

They did this as a tribute to our city for sticking with streetcars and transit at a time when almost every single other city in the US abandoned them after the auto industry lobbied for complete highway and car infrastructure.

That is Awesome. Would love to go to SanFran just to ride it.

cf27b5604e7c947726877db4157e.jpg

Hell I'd love to go to SanFran anyway.

Ugh. This thread makes me so mad that st. john's doesn't have street cars.

Do you live in St Johns? I have always wanted to go there and I'm planning to visit there with my wife over the summer. If you are then let me know and I'll hit you with a private message before I go to get suggestions on things to do.

When I worked at Transport Canada as a co-op a long time ago, I remember reading stuff like this, and technically, Guelph would count into GTA because of it's volume in trade/transaction with Toronto vs neighbouring cities (Kitchener/Waterloo)

Divvy

I'm keeping a Twitter tab with #topoli in the search. It's an alright substitute (just have to filter through all the BS comments).

Yeah the stream has completely gone. I refreshed the page and it's now the page isn't even there anymore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Apparently Ford isn't even sitting in, listening to the questions right now.

I'm keeping a Twitter tab with #topoli in the search. It's an alright substitute (just have to filter through all the BS comments).

#tocouncil works too

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Del Grande is worried that in 40 years, we'll have to build even more transit. Oh the humanity.

And the Fordies now want Metrolinx present before a vote. Grasping as straws, delaying the inevitable.

Rinoa

The trolls on the 680 stream comments make me sad, it's hard to believe stupid people like that are in this city sometimes. Of course they're usually the suburb types commenting.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If you support ford, You're a piece of human trash

And that 40 year comment sums up how absolutely fucking clueless fords transit stupidity is

Transit is a constantly evolving thing, fuck bag

When you build a subway, you're basically stuck with it, LRVs are far more adaptable to the growing needs of the city

Grrrrrrrr

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How about the trolls on council like Nunziata. Her points were, LRTs slow down emergency vehicles (wat), endanger children (wat), turn neighborhoods into a hellish place to live (wat).

Hilariously, EMS vehicles use the right of ways on Spadina all the time to evade backed up traffic, so really.. it helps.

And that 40 year comment sums up how absolutely fucking clueless fords transit stupidity is

When you build a subway, you're basically stuck with it, LRVs are far more adaptable to the growing needs of the city

Grrrrrrrr

Perks brought up good points that streetcars encourage growth and 40 years down the line, if there is density meetings requirements (and money), it can lead to subways.

Divvy

Grrrrrrrr

I totally don't understand the motivations behind his plan's supporters are. It's an inferior idea on every level. I can only conclude that the lot of them are counter-fact and reality.

How about the trolls on council like Nunziata. Her points were, LRTs slow down emergency vehicles (wat), endanger children (wat), turn neighborhoods into a hellish place to live (wat).

She got shutup pretty good though. Hehe

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Right of way LRTs endanger people and stop emergency vehicles??? What in the fuck

Why and how are they so fuxking stupid

I have friends on facebook arguing that subways are better than streetcars, the same friends that bitch about taxes and extra fees all the time lol

One wants a road tax but knows his buddy Ford will never put one in

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh God. How do you build subways without money? Come on. 35 years of a streetcar line running instead of waiting for a subway line to match budget of the City and Province is a bad thing?

edit: "Mr. Webster, you're just killing my time here.". Ford Councillors are really rude.

lol.....maybe if they didn't act like such assholes they'd be able to get more people on their side....

They must assume that more people vote for them because they ARE assholes

Zzoram

Does it make sense to buy a condo in Toronto these days? They cost so much. How does condo value change as it ages? What happens when the building gets so old they have to knock it down? Do you get a unit in the new condo they build? Do you have to sell your unit on the cheap? How long does a condo last before it needs to be taken down?

Oppo

Does it make sense to buy a condo in Toronto these days? They cost so much. How does condo value change as it ages? What happens when the building gets so old they have to knock it down? Do you get a unit in the new condo they build? Do you have to sell your unit on the cheap? How long does a condo last before it needs to be taken down?

Most of these worries are unfounded. We still have apartment buildings from the 1950s standing. Plus the population pressure is doing anything but abating, so the prices haven't crashed.

An agent will answer most of these questions. The one thing I will say, any time you buy pre-built, they always always go way over the time estimate for move-in. I have never bought a condo myself (have a house) but everyone I know who bought pre-built got burned by the delays.

Divvy

Most of these worries are unfounded. We still have apartment buildings from the 1950s standing. Plus the population pressure is doing anything but abating, so the prices haven't crashed.

An agent will answer most of these questions. The one thing I will say, any time you buy pre-built, they always always go way over the time estimate for move-in. I have never bought a condo myself (have a house) but everyone I know who bought pre-built got burned by the delays.

Yup, this is true.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm always floored by the maintenance cost on most condos in the city now. It's like I'm paying the $300k up front and still paying enough to rent a large one bedroom apartment.

Top Bottom