• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So what are the chances McGuinty sides with Ford on this one?

On one hand he knows that Ford is a moron. On the other hand, Ford basically gave him the Ontario election on a silver platter.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So what are the chances McGuinty sides with Ford on this one?

On one hand he knows that Ford is a moron. On the other hand, Ford basically gave him the Ontario election on a silver platter.

there's very little mcguinty will do. He will support toronto council and metrolinx; metrolinx is his, and he's not going to screw with democracy

who the hell cares about ford?

i always thought that if they extended finch station to steeles/yonge -> steeles station, they could offset ALOT of traffic
a bus terminal at steeles, the mall there, centrepoint would be alot bigger than it now

but i guess there too much infrastructure at finch to extend it

Read it up on wiki. It's interesting to see why it hasn't gone through.

Kraftwerk

Are there any laws in Ontario, where the mayor can be made to resign or some shit? If such a thing exists, I will start that campaign ASAP.

Seriously getting tired of this idiot.

Divvy

Doug Ford is having a temper tantrum on twitter.

I5l9c.png

A response from His Worship!

Dear Friends,

I campaigned to bring subways to Toronto and the people of Toronto gave me an overwhelming mandate to build subways.

Today, City Council spoke to its wish for the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown. The residents of Scarborough, Toronto's fastest growing region, deserve underground rapid transit - and I promised to deliver it to them. Today's vote does not change my promise.

Great cities, like Paris, London and New York were built around long term transit visions 100 years ago. Subways in Scarborough represent that long term vision for our great city.

I want to thank the thousands of you who called and wrote to my office and to the office of your respective Councillors to tell them that you voted for subways.

I will continue to stand up for taxpayers across Toronto. I will continue to work for a high-speed subway network in Scarborough and across the city.

An investment in first class transit infrastructure will stand the test of time. I want residents, many years from now, to look back at our time and be thankful we did the right thing by building subways that will still be in use.

I will not abandon the people of Scarborough and Finch Avenue to a second class transit solution that will inflict St. Clair Avenue style chaos on neighbourhoods without any promise of improved travel times.

That is, and remains, my commitment to you as Mayor of this great city.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/rob-...-long-term-vision-for-toronto/339413869415011

I wish he'd explain why he voted against Scarborough and Finch transit today.

Anony

that set us back, what 1.5 years

here's to a proper public transit system in 20 years time which by then, will be outdated

Divvy

Province endorses council vote to revive Transit City

Statement From Minister Bob Chiarelli On Public Transit In Toronto

Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Transportation, released the following statement regarding the City of Toronto's public transit plans:
"Earlier today, City Council met to debate the future of public transit in the City of Toronto. As a former Regional Chair and Mayor, I have always respected the will of council, as a whole, to come to a position regarding public transit priorities.

Over the past few weeks, Torontonians have been party to a healthy debate about the future of public transit. For many, public transit is a necessity - it's how employees get to and from work, how seniors get to and from their appointments and how students commute to school.

Throughout the debate, the McGuinty government has maintained a clear stance--we wanted the City to come to a common position so that we all could focus on building much-needed transit infrastructure.

Now that Council has endorsed a position, we have asked Metrolinx to consider the impacts on current transit planning and report back to us as quickly as possible.

As time is of the essence, we look to the Mayor and Council to move forward together and help us build public transit, in accordance with the five principles that reflect the public interest and the mandate given to Metrolinx as previously outlined. These principles are as follows:

Any project paid for by the Province must achieve sound regional transportation objectives.
Provincial funding for rapid transit projects in Toronto is fixed at $8.4 billion (2010$). The Province and Metrolinx need to demonstrate ownership and control in accordance with provincial accounting rules, in order to amortize the investment.
Any penalties related to contractual commitments or the loss of investments that result from changes sought by the City are the City's responsibility.
Costs related to delay must be assumed by the City.
The plan should minimize impacts on traffic to the extent reasonably possible.
Now is the time to move forward. What matters most to Torontonians is that we get shovels in the ground and deliver transit in Toronto."

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2012/02/statement-from-minister-bob-chiarelli-on-public-transit-in-toronto.html

DiddyBop

I was for subways, but getting anything done at this point is a plus. For a city this size and density we rely way too much on cars. Our public transit is a joke and this a step in the right direction...albeit 20 years behind schedule

scheduled for 2020, 3-4 years ago or something, so it's more like 2024

Can they open segments as they're ready? That's more or less what they did with the subways.

The Scarborough segment, being above ground, should be ready far sooner than the rest. Waiting for that damn Eglinton bus is painful.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Can they open segments as they're ready? That's more or less what they did with the subways.

The Scarborough segment, being above ground, should be ready far sooner than the rest. Waiting for that damn Eglinton bus is painful.

nope. they need loops because LRTs are only one direction

Prax

OH MAANNNN
Following this has been emotionally draining.

THANK GOODNESS the Fords couldn't steamroll their gravy train through common sense again.
Ughh.. 3 more years of this stupidity..

Divvy

I almost feel like making a fake Mammoliti twitter account. I wonder how much work it would be.

Divvy

So what just got approved by council exactly? Like what is salvaged since I know it isn't the whole transit city plan.

A partially above-ground LRT on Eglinton, a surface LRT on Finch West, and a third LRT on the current path of the Scarborough RT. In the same vote, councillors also requested a study on a future rail line on Sheppard.

Also,

Ask the TTC to study possibility of future routes, including a Sheppard LRT to Toronto Zoo, extending the Bloor-Danforth subway to the Scarborough Town Centre, extending the Eglinton Crosstown to Pearson Airport, and a Downtown Relief Line

srst

How are they going to find space for LRT? Finch and Eglinton is already packed. Why not just bring back the caterpillar bus?

Top Bottom