• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Now he's on an Eglinton bus...

9btQy.jpg

I don't know what he's trying to accomplish. I don't think the 2am crowd is his base.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I was wondering, what the fuck - how did I run into Rob Ford at Kennedy 20minutes ago?!

He dropped like the choicest line to someone asking him a question

"How many Mayors do you see out at Kennedy station at 2am in the morning?"

Edit: I wanted to go up to him and say "Yeah I know right, I'm used to Mayors showing up in significant places, like Gay Pride Festivals, and council meetings"

But I didn't have the balls, he had a guard :(

whitehawk

Banned
I was wondering, what the fuck - how did I run into Rob Ford at Kennedy 20minutes ago?!

He dropped like the choicest line to someone asking him a question

"How many Mayors do you see out at Kennedy station at 2am in the morning?"

Edit: I wanted to go up to him and say "Yeah I know right, I'm used to Mayors showing up in significant places, like Gay Pride Festivals, and council meetings"

But I didn't have the balls, he had a guard :(
NOOO That would have been brilliant! :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I've basically been trolling the Toronto sun comment column all night long.... 7 hours of fun that was :>

My friend took a picture with him at a strip club downtown. He was drunk as fuck.

At a strip club, eh! Get that picture! We need to smear him some more :)

Anyone recommend a store to get a nice suit? Is $350 really cheap? That's what I can afford right now. All I need is black pants and the jacket. I have the shirt, shoes, and tie already.

Anyone recommend a store to get a nice suit? Is $350 really cheap? That's what I can afford right now. All I need is black pants and the jacket. I have the shirt, shoes, and tie already.

International Clothiers? The sales people are annoying (at least the ones on Orfus) but the prices are alright.

whitehawk

Banned
$350 is too much. I got a really nice pair of dress pants for about $80 at Zaras I think. The Jacket I already had thought, but I imagine if you look in the right places it can't be more than $250.

Maybe Winners has jackets?

International clothers is garbage though, isn't it? They sell $99 suits lol. Think I can do a bit better than that for $350. I know the really quality suits start at $500 or $600 but I'm hoping to get something decent.

$350 is on the high end. My budget is actually closer to $250 but I'm not against paying $350 if it's good quality. This is for a wedding and future nice night outs/job interviews. I don't even know what name brands are good.

I haven't been to International Clothiers in a long time but it was the first place I thought of. I can't remember where I bought my last suit.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I missed all the fun but realistically I can't watch and listen to the Ford side for very long without getting very frustrated.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ford should come out on the vomit comet on a Friday, or Saturday night. He'd fit right in with all the other drunk & crazies talking to themselves and yelling at people.

While I'm all for walking the streets, and taking transit to talk to people, he probably needs to think a bit more about what message he's trying to send. If he's just going around spouting 'DON'T YOU WANT A SUBWAY TO YOUR DOOR STEP' he'll probably get the answer he wants though.

explodet

I'd love to see Ford try and handle the Yonge/Bloor crush during morning rush hour.
Or just chilling out waiting for the Finch buses to show up.

A partially above-ground LRT on Eglinton, a surface LRT on Finch West, and a third LRT on the current path of the Scarborough RT. In the same vote, councillors also requested a study on a future rail line on Sheppard.

Thanks. So why are less lines being built than the original plan? Is there less money now than there was when Miller originally got the funding?
Either way, this is still great news to get anything more than just Eglinton like Ford wanted.

Ugh don't give him any ideas.

No, give him ideas. I want to see him endure what actual "taxpayers" have to endure.

Thanks. So why are less lines being built than the original plan? Is there less money now than there was when Miller originally got the funding?
Either way, this is still great news to get anything more than just Eglinton like Ford wanted.

The original TransitCity plan was a phased plan. What we're going through with now was essentially "Phase 1", and the only one the province promised to help fund at the time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Waterfront and Jane LRT were pretty much ignored. I think they were both brought up once (Jane by Doucette), but I don't expect them to be on the table for development anymore. Which is sad. :(

The original TransitCity plan was a phased plan. What we're going through with now was essentially "Phase 1", and the only one the province promised to help fund at the time.

Thanks for the info. I hope they start building right away. We can't afford any more delays on our transit!

Stet

Banned
No, give him ideas. I want to see him endure what actual "taxpayers" have to endure.

RoFo seems like one of those guys who would stand in the doorway and try to squeeze himself against the glass when people were trying to get off at rush hour instead of stepping off and giving them room. Animals.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
National Post is spewing out pro-Ford articles faster than I can read them.

Toronto city revolt pits councillors against voters

The city can't see straight for all its vision

Presco

If you're serious about a nice suit, check out Korry's on the Danforth. I'm pretty sure it's a bit above your price range but I remember they have a deal if you're buying two suits. If you can find someone else to buy a suit with you, you should be able to get close to your budget.

Just checked, the deal is 1 for $598 or 2 for $798 for their in house brand. So, still a bit above your price range but trust me, it's worth it. I bought the suit for my wedding from these guys a few years ago and it's orders of magnitude nicer than the stuff I was trying on at various stores.

Azih

National Post is spewing out pro-Ford articles faster than I can read them.

Toronto city revolt pits councillors against voters

The city can't see straight for all its vision

National Post isn't too bad. Their main Toronto reporter seems to be Chris Selley who is not a fan of Ford's subway 'plans'.

explodet

Yeah, there's a smattering of articles in the Post calling last night's vote a good idea. They always seem to be filled with back-handed compliments, but I'm used to Post articles reading like that. I'm wondering if the editorial staff is still revising articles to lean in their favor.

The Toronto Sun, on the other hand... whoo boy. You'd think their staff puppy died or something.

Presco

The Toronto Sun, on the other hand... whoo boy. You'd think their staff puppy died or something.

They are writing for base, just as the Star writes for theirs. I find the Globe and Mail and especially the Post to be excellent alternatives. I'm of the opinion that you should read a paper that doesn't quite agree with your world view just to try and get the whole perspective. This makes the Post the perfect paper for me.

Rinoa

Re: suit
For what kind of use? If it's one time maybe rent something superfly?

Taxpayers, er, citizens don't normally waltz about the city with a personal bodyguard. Has he not stopped to think that maybe people hate him for a legit reason?

Yeah, there's a smattering of articles in the Post calling last night's vote a good idea. They always seem to be filled with back-handed compliments, but I'm used to Post articles reading like that. I'm wondering if the editorial staff is still revising articles to lean in their favor.

The Post has historically been super conservative, but in the past 2 years I see a few more articles w/neutrality. Maybe they don't want to be lumped in with the Sun.

Moar wallpaperz

Don't be greedy! Only one photo per day so I don't run out of things to post! ;)

If anyone enjoyed my population statistics that got buried in yesterday's transit news... here is some more detailed info:

Although the population of the entire City of Toronto increased by 4.5% in the last 5 years, the population of just central downtown Toronto grew at an astronomical rate of 32.2%.

This is the area I'm talking about:

dttoronto.jpg

So that area increased from 132,434 to 175,064 in just 5 years. That is really insane growth.

Another fun fact: The population of Brampton has now surpassed the population of Hamilton.

Azih

Rob Ford's endless hand shaking does earn him a lot of loyal support. If you weren't really aware of everything that's going on and the mayor of your city came up to you and shook your hand and was interested in talking with you then you wouldn't you be more likely to vote for the guy in the next election?

I know that the one at dupont/bathurst isn't getting finished because they need to sell units (for stupidly high prices).

Can I ask which condo you are referring to here? I live in that area and the only one I can think of is directly across the street from the Beer Store. It looks to be pretty much finished and I still see workers working on the inside of it every day.
Is that the one you mean or is there another one near that corner?

This is the one I'm thinking of (Annex Loft Houses):
Toronto-Uptown-Condos-Lofts-Annex-Loft-Houses-483-Dupont-St-1.jpg

Is it this one?

StevieP

Banned
Rob Ford's endless hand shaking does earn him a lot of loyal support. If you weren't really aware of everything that's going on and the mayor of your city came up to you and shook your hand and was interested in talking with you then you wouldn't you be more likely to vote for the guy in the next election?

Exactly. I dislike the guy, but you have to give him a bit of credit for pulling stunts like that. Sitting down and talking to people is respectable in some way, even if he's a complete moron.

And Subways are >>>>> LRT, but as a 680 news commenter put it "we all want subways... every single one of us... but where does the money come from?"

Austerity sucks.

Exactly. I dislike the guy, but you have to give him a bit of credit for pulling stunts like that. Sitting down and talking to people is respectable in some way, even if he's a complete moron.

I would always see David Miller on the bus and subway too. Only with him, it wasn't a publicity stunt. He was just trying to get to where he was going. I respect that much more.

daemonic

Banned

Try Tristan or Mexx. I found a great suit at Tristan (Eaton Centre) for under $500. Really nice fit too.

I give him no credit at all for doing that. Only now that he's lost is he actually going out and talking to transit riders, not just "people coming up to him" in shopping malls.

If the guy had any credibility at all, he would have done this before even making a transit plan in the first place. He should have gone out on the subways and buses all over the city before even starting his election campaign. But no, the only time he's ever been spotted riding transit prior to this is when his brother kicked him out of the car one night and he had to take the subway home. He probably didn't have his wallet with him, otherwise he would have taken a cab. He probably just said "I'm the fucking Mayor!" and got on the subway for free.

Exactly. It's not the safest station even in the middle of the day let alone 2am.

Kennedy's a major hub with lots of activity. I've been there at 2am plenty of times. It's safer than an uninhabited nowhere station in the middle of the line.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kennedy's a major hub with lots of activity. I've been there at 2am plenty of times. It's safer than an uninhabited nowhere station in the middle of the line.
When I go downtown for games I have two choices for my way home. Take a bus across from Finch station then walk up to my house or take a bus up from Kennedy station that stops right behind my house. There's a reason I always go to Finch. I've lived in Scarborough for 30 years and I'm smart enough to avoid shit holes like Kennedy station.

One other thing.

Typically the downtown stops are not a crime hot spot, but stations such as Lansdowne, Lawrence West, Kennedy and Warden are known problem areas.
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/326389

Warden might be worse because of the neighbourhood even though Kennedy is busier.

Warden, and Victoria Park, seem to have more problems.

Anyway, I've taken the last subway of the night to Kennedy on the weekend many times over the last 6 years. At that time of night, from what I've witnessed, it's mostly just a bunch of cold or bored people who just want nothing more than to get home.

Of course, I keep my wits about me. I'm not a moron. You have to stay aware, even in good neighbourhoods. Bad things happen at night even in Oakville.

Top Bottom