• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Rinoa

Never give up hope!

oh lawd, the ad on neogaf says this

There's no such thing as too cold. And no such thing as too much rain unless it's like Vancouver where it's nonstop for nine months out of the year.

Anyone who is happy with 40 degrees plus 90% humidity needs to have their head examined.

hey, some people like to feel like they rubbed orange peel all over their body.

I don't know. It lets Ford play the victim.

Yup. He plays the victim really well. All those evil communist lefties out to get him.

Even if they succeed in kicking him out, he'll get all his connections to bombard the media with highly-concentrated "grass roots" outrage.

Beez

Banned
There's no such thing as too cold. And no such thing as too much rain unless it's like Vancouver where it's nonstop for nine months out of the year.

Anyone who is happy with 40 degrees plus 90% humidity needs to have their head examined.

I dunno I like the heat. Beats the cold. *shrugs*

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just got back from the Gwailo preview dinner and was that ever fantastic. I've rarely had fine dining quality chinese food done so well before. I can't wait for them to find a space and open up. It was a terrific experience overall.

L9YZo.jpg

Funny enough, we sat next to the dean of UT Scarborough and chatted with him and his wife all night. Really nice couple and they're super into food culture.

Stet

Banned
Just got back from the Gwailo preview dinner and was that ever fantastic. I've rarely had fine dining quality chinese food done so well before. I can't wait for them to find a space and open up. It was a terrific experience overall.

Funny enough, we sat next to the dean of UT Scarborough and chatted with him and his wife all night. Really nice couple and they're super into food culture.

I looked around for you but had no idea who you were. We sat next to a guy who ended up working for Maker's Mark and we talked bourbon for the greater part of two hours. At the end of the night he gave me a bottle of bourbon.

Divvy

I looked around for you but had no idea who you were. We sat next to a guy who ended up working for Maker's Mark and we talked bourbon for the greater part of two hours. At the end of the night he gave me a bottle of bourbon.

I was the asian dude in a the red plaid shirt. Looks like we both got to meet some really cool people.

ShaneB

Friday doesn't work for me :( so I win't be at the meetup. sucks, but ah well.

Quick question, I'm looking for a cheap haircut in Vaughn/Woodbridge/Whatever you want to call it area. I'm a simple man, all I really want is a damn buzzcut for under 10 bucks that would take 10 minutes. Just would like to know a place close to work so I can go there after work.

Hahahahha

How does I use chartz?
I've already mentioned this to the guy who follows closely and tweets this stuff (he'd fit right in to gas, but doesn't have an account here)

The Boston numbers are infuriating to anyone who knows anything about transit in North America. The Green Line is counted in the Boston system. It's 36KM, and has 66 stations. But, if we go by Toronto's definition of "WE DON'T WANT LRT", then that line, along with the Silver Line would be disqualified. The Green Line is the most clear definition of an LRT: 2-3 cars, frequent stops, they even call it an LRT. The Silver Line (which services the Airport) is even better: it's a dedicated bus lane.

This is the equivalent on having your pie and eating it just to bend the numbers you way.

thabiz

"Subways travel at twice the speed of streetcars and surface transit vehicles.

SPEED OF TRANSIT (IN KM/H)

--BUS:16---LRT:22-------SUBWAYS:32"

Gotta love Del Grande math!!!

Tell me more Mike.

Azih

I was hoping that this issue would die out with the right plan winning but now I worry about how much traction these SAFE and SOS people are going to get. They've already packed one meeting and I think they can pack more.

StevieP

Banned
There's a simple way to respond to all this. Walk in and ask
"EVERYONE prefers subways. How do you propose we pay for them?"

Cause let's face it... I would much prefer subway to be built, too. They're simply better in almost every fashion except TTL. They are also far more expensive. So how do you pay for them? Private sector's not gonna cough it up. What do you do? Simple questions, simple answers?

thabiz

There's a simple way to respond to all this. Walk in and ask
"EVERYONE prefers subways. How do you propose we pay for them?"

Cause let's face it... I would much prefer subway to be built, too. They're simply better in almost every fashion except TTL. They are also far more expensive. So how do you pay for them? Private sector's not gonna cough it up. What do you do? Simple questions, simple answers?

But this is exactly why this is such a huge problem now. Ford and Co. don't care. It could cost a trillion. Won't matter. He promised it and will try to deliver, no matter the cost. He is the very definition of Pig Headed!

Divvy

But this is exactly why this is such a huge problem now. Ford and Co. don't care. It could cost a trillion. Won't matter. He promised it and will try to deliver, no matter the cost. He is the very definition of Pig Headed!

I'm just amazed that none of the residents campaigning for that has figured it out. It's such an obvious fact that is conveniently forgotten by them.

If they want a subway so badly, then city hall should give them the option to build one once they've collected the billions of dollars needed to build one from the residents in those areas.

StevieP

Banned

That's fine. He wants to build them, build them. But ask, in simple terms, how they are to be paid for? Harper's not coughing it up. Dalton's not coughing it up (aside from the 8bil). Private sector isn't coughing it up. So where is it coming from? Let's be honest with ourselves here. Subways ARE better, both for the future of this city as an investment and as a mode of transportation. But... there is a reason why the plan is for LRTs instead. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

thabiz

I'm just amazed that none of the residents campaigning for that has figured it out. It's such an obvious fact that is conveniently forgotten by them.

If they want a subway so badly, then city hall should give them the option to build one once they've collected the billions of dollars needed to build one from the residents in those areas.

And when he raises taxes, adds road tolls and public parking fees, they will all scream bloody murder.

Calling it now. He will not be our mayor after this year. I see this subway fiasco getting really nasty. Council is going to strip him of whatever remaining power he has left.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Had the day off today.

Absolutely gorgeous weather. Reminds me of summers in Edmonton.

Not cold at all and bright and sunny.

We're going to burn in hell this summer aren't we? :(

Divvy

Had the day off today.

Absolutely gorgeous weather. Reminds me of summers in Edmonton.

Not cold at all and bright and sunny.

We're going to burn in hell this summer aren't we? :(

Yeah beautiful weather today. Nice clear skies too. You can clearly see Venus tonight and maybe even Jupiter while still in the downtown area too!

On a note related to burning. I had Szechuan tonight at Hot Spicy Spicy and it was delicious. My guts are on fire right now though holy shit.

I was hoping that this issue would die out with the right plan winning but now I worry about how much traction these SAFE and SOS people are going to get. They've already packed one meeting and I think they can pack more.

They brought Harper into it. That's a clear sign it's not dying anytime soon.

Show us the money and you can build your fucking subways, SHOW US THE MONEY!

And I thought Ford only wanted more Shepard subway, where did this overarching subways everywhere plan come from.........dude can't even find funding for one fucking segment of a line and people are suddenly expecting subways everywhere!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Show us the money and you can build your fucking subways, SHOW US THE MONEY!

And I thought Ford only wanted more Shepard subway, where did this overarching subways everywhere plan come from.........dude can't even find funding for one fucking segment of a line and people are suddenly expecting subways everywhere!

Shepard?
Wrex...
You been playing ME3 there?

daemonic

Banned
Yeah beautiful weather today. Nice clear skies too. You can clearly see Venus tonight and maybe even Jupiter while still in the downtown area too!

Are they relatively close to each other right now? Saw them last night and was thinking the brightest one was Venus, but wasn't sure about next to it. Smaller, but still bright. They really stood out clearly in the night sky.

Divvy

Are they relatively close to each other right now? Saw them last night and was thinking the brightest one was Venus, but wasn't sure about next to it. Smaller, but still bright. They really stood out clearly in the night sky.

Yup, they were right next to each other last night.

Divvy

So there's some sort of pro-subway rally going on at Victoria Park right now.

'Get a shovel in the ground and the money will come,' says Ford, brushing aside questions about Sheppard funding.

Apparently he is going to dig for gold.

Top Bottom