• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
God, I hate when I finally get some money my why, decide to buy something I've been eyeing for a while, and it just has disappeared all together.

Has anyone seen any transformer primes anywhere? ANYWHERE?!

Guess that works - it's not really anywhere in store, for some reason. If I buy from best buy I like doing in it store so I can use my discount though :p - I guess I can always return resell it for that. I'll do it that way!

I've done the order online pick up in store thing, and they don't charge my card till I pick it up. That might still work if you're looking to use your discount.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
God, I hate when I finally get some money my why, decide to buy something I've been eyeing for a while, and it just has disappeared all together.

Has anyone seen any transformer primes anywhere? ANYWHERE?!

It's hilariously out of stock everywhere. Can't tell if it sold out or if there's just no shipments, but I think it's the latter. Though I did see one on display in the oakville best buy over the weekend.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I've done the order online pick up in store thing, and they don't charge my card till I pick it up. That might still work if you're looking to use your discount.

That only works if the store itself has stock, they get a little message at the customer service desk, print out the order and hand it off to someone to grab the items and bring it to the ISPU desk, wherever they have it located.

Basically, wouldn't work in this situations as no stores actually have it in stock.

It's hilariously out of stock everywhere. Can't tell if it sold out or if there's just no shipments, but I think it's the latter. Though I did see one on display in the oakville best buy over the weekend.

I was looking at one a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen any shipments since. Our store for example only got 3 shipments total I think, and all three were out the door same day (there were like at most, 5 a shipment). It got low balled, is what it looks like. Next time I'm in work I'll have to check to see if there are any more orders. I want one. If they don't have anything though, fuck it - online order and wait the half week.

Oppo

I'm a bit bummed that I'm missing the meetup but I will hopefully see you next time Toronto-GAF.

I got drafted into a drunken excursion with some fellas to Chicago on St. Patrick's Day weekend. If I don't make it, send my widow a canned ham.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...r-subways-voters-dont-want-it/article2371843/

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said Friday that he would “absolutely” support a referendum on new taxes to pay for subways, but that he expects voters would soundly reject the idea.

“If people want to vote to have a new tax for subways, I listen to the residents. I listen to the taxpayers,” Mr. Ford told reporters.

“They don’t want that ... I could be wrong, I don’t think I am. I’ve talked to a lot of people about this and I know what they want. They want subways, we can afford it, let’s do it. They don’t want to have an extra tax to pay for it.”

Reality to Ford: Subways cost money.

That's not really a surprise, but Jesus Christ, the man will not quit... he must really have some good side-deals in the works predicated on this.

Imagine if he cared this much about what the public had to say about libraries, pool fees, Jarvis, and women's shelters.

Azih

So does any one here supports subway plan or is it me only? lol

You know if there was an actual reasonable plan to pay for it (federal or provincial funding, parking tax, tolls, vehicle registration etc) and didn't take away funding from other lines... sure. But that's not the case.

Seriously Eglinton needs transit, Finch needs transit, Sheppard needs transit, Bayview needs transit, Jane needs transit. Putting down one stop a year on Sheppard only for one billion a pop is just not good policy in the face of all of that.

Plus subways are expensive and only make sense in very dense areas. Hell I lived on Don Mills and Sheppard for about 3 years and took advantage of the Sheppard line every day and god damn that thing is so deserted outside of peak rush hours that it isn't even funny.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Guess a final announcement from me on this thread about the meet up.

The Ballroom across from Scotiabank theatre at 7.

I am disappoint you guys don't want to meet a bunch of random Internet people for drinks.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Guess a final announcement from me on this thread about the meet up.

The Ballroom across from Scotiabank theatre at 7.

I am disappoint you guys don't want to meet a bunch of random Internet people for drinks.
I was willing to hang out with you for a bit but you ran away from me. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Although I won't be there..

i7lXUjlMvErqn.jpg

A short walk from the subway, or the 501/504 Queen/King streetcars. 19 already committed.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Lemme buy you a round, make up for it!

Scary white guy...
>_>
<_<
Not this time generic asian dude.

EDIT: If a few people want to get together to pick up some Zelda tickets (which go on sale March 31st) then I'm in since none of my friends want to go.

So does any one here supports subway plan or is it me only? lol

Two very important points:

1. No subway plan exists.
  2. Under Ford's original plan of burying the entire Eglinton LRT, Finch and Sheppard get nothing.

The last one is important, because I don't think it's been made clear enough that Ford's original plan - and the plan he's currently campaigning for - has no money allocated towards any subways anywhere. The only thing that exists are idiotic fantasies like "the private sector will pay for everything" and "if we start digging, money will come."

I don't think there's a person in Toronto who wouldn't prefer subways over LRT's, but the question isn't "Do you want subways?", it's "What's the most efficient way to spend $8B that services the most people?" Subways aren't it.

My point of view is: A dedicated bus line will do the same trick as tram on the road.
Long term (I.E) : Subway are better. City is growing too much. Road will become more congested.
Cost: It will cost more. Will take longer to make. I am willing to pay more tax if needed but I think this is better option.

30 years ago Markham and Scarborough were fields mostly. Look at that today. City is exploding with population and subway will need to be built. If not today than afterwards. Why not start with good plan today. IF there is not plan work on it. My opinion but it is not popular one i know.

Black-Box

Did anyone get the storm? I am glad it never happened during the day, loving the weather.

I never got the storm, at least I didn't hear it going on

My point of view is: A dedicated bus line will do the same trick as tram on the road.
Long term (I.E) : Subway are better. City is growing too much. Road will become more congested.
Cost: It will cost more. Will take longer to make. I am willing to pay more tax if needed but I think this is better option.

30 years ago Markham and Scarborough were fields mostly. Look at that today. City is exploding with population and subway will need to be built. If not today than afterwards. Why not start with good plan today. IF there is not plan work on it. My opinion but it is not popular one i know.

In 50 years we'll all be living in the clouds Jetson style

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Please explain to me how a dedicated bus lane is a better idea than a dedicated LRT lane.

They both "block" the exact same amount of traffic.

BRT would have less upfront cost in most cases, but more cost as time goes on. Most LRTs are not buried, which will raise cost of these projects enormously. In practice, LRT makes more sense in more densely populated sections of the city, where the carrying capacity (depending on length of the train, of course) is great than a bus, or multiple buses leap frogging. But just like subways don't make sense for every neighborhood because of population, dedicated bus routes might make more sense in some lesser populated sections.

There's also perception on a neighborhood. Rail transit has appeal to potential property owners, where people often look down upon BRT. Not saying it's right to have this mind set, but it can happen. It's similar to people that won't consider LRT instead of subways.

In theory, building BRTs at low cost as we 'wait for subway money' might be okay. But I wouldn't place any bets on Toronto finding magical money for subway lines the length of the LRTs were' talking about. Many bus routes along places like Sheppard and Finch are already packed well over capacity too, and having dedicated lanes won't help until you start packing more vehicles on the road at a greater cost. I personally think we should push forward with the LRTs. They're a slightly longer term commitment than the BRTs, because of the money devoted to them, but they make a more attractive fall back plan when in fifty years Toronto still doesn't have money for subways and the population has ballooned.

Speaking to crazy monkey's point on preferring subways, it's simply a matter of cost and growth. The city has sat for three decades too long not building subway transit, and now the cost is so much that it's nigh impossible for the city to build anything outside of short extensions on existing lines because of how much it would cost. Priority should be to reach as many people as possible with the resources we have, with a system that will last. LRT (and BRTs in areas) will definitely accomplish this goal, and if the city does find money eventually, building LRT routes and stations set up nicely for a transition to subways hopefully. However, not doing anything because it's not 'subways' would be a mistake.

Please explain to me how a dedicated bus lane is a better idea than a dedicated LRT lane.

They both "block" the exact same amount of traffic.

Mario explained my point. It is not about traffic blocking but moving people. Adding more bus and dedicated bus line. Regardless as I said I am okay with tax increase to support subway if it is done right. LRT is great if they can build lot of pass overs. OR something similar to Scarborough LRT. I hate street cars.

Mario explained my point. It is not about traffic blocking but moving people. Adding more bus and dedicated bus line. Regardless as I said I am okay with tax increase to support subway if it is done right. LRT is great if they can build lot of pass overs. OR something similar to Scarborough LRT. I hate street cars.

(&#9583;°&#9633;°&#65289;&#9583;&#65077; &#9531;&#9473;&#9531;

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I know 19 people RSVP'd, but did all 19 actually show up?

Hohoho. Edited: I thought it was 19, but 17 showed up. Still, an impressive turn out. Kraftwerk and everyone should be applauded for actually forcing people to go, even if it took a while to determine a date.

added_time and myself have to attend to next one. I say we do it at Roto's place.

Roto13

Eww, lurkers? Gross. Should have been bounced.
Hohoho. Edited: I thought it was 19, but 17 showed up. Still, an impressive turn out. Kraftwerk and everyone should be applauded for actually forcing people to go, even if it took a while to determine a date.

added_time and myself have to attend to next one. I say we do it at Roto's place.

We can all share my one chair.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eww, lurkers? Gross. Should have been bounced.

We can all share my one chair.

Who...who the hell were you?!?!?!?!?

Should've said something as I don't think any of us caught you.

Edit: pretty good group of guys. Some interesting stories, KRAFTWERK! Hopefully can do it again.

Top Bottom