• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quadratic

The meetup was fun last night. Sorry I had to bail early. My suggestion for next time is to pick a dive bar so we don't run into the problem of seating we had. It would definitely make the establishment's day. A popular joint will be busy especially on a Friday night.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Via BlogTO.

LKEBt.jpg

jaHeJ.jpg

KrLHC.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I can't stand the guy, but that kind of thing always seems really childish to me.

Stuff like this always happens on both sides of the political spectrum, and enrages people. Maybe childish, but I thought that pig cuts painting was brilliant.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow. I didn't see this story until just now, but apparently the gigantic castle-playground on High Park's west end along Parkside Dr was torched. I was just over there a couple of weeks ago snapping photos of it, since I've always thought it was the most awesome playground I could imagine.

sIGmG.jpg

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1147957--arson-suspected-in-high-park-playground-fire?bn=1

And speaking of crime.. some data released by Toronto Police on shootings / homicides, call ins and documented citizens. I always find these maps fascinating. The Star has a bunch of other maps for things like homicides / violent crimes, traffic, bicycle accidents and more.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...s-used-to-focus-toronto-policing-efforts?bn=1

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/164095--interactive-maps

Well the Annex area was a shitshow tonight lol........tried to go to the Maddy but the line went down to Bloor

Went to some bar called the Green Room that had 5 dollar pints of sapporo and cheap food.....there were some extremely drunk people that were way too loud and broke shit but they didn't start any fights so I guess thats good

But wow, Bloor Street was really messed up

Well the Annex area was a shitshow tonight lol........tried to go to the Maddy but the line went down to Bloor

Went to some bar called the Green Room that had 5 dollar pints of sapporo and cheap food.....there were some extremely drunk people that were way too loud and broke shit but they didn't start any fights so I guess thats good

But wow, Bloor Street was really messed up

Wait... The Green Room is open again?

My first time there but my friends friend did mention it had been closed

Yes, it was closed for a year and a half or something.

It was one of my favourite places in the city, even though it was closed for a whole pile of health code violations. I'm happy to know it's open again.

Maybe thats why the burger was 6.75 :p

Anyway, I was laughing at all the young'ns waiting in line for hours just get a beer, I can't believe I used to do that so long ago lol

Gin

Wow. I didn't see this story until just now, but apparently the gigantic castle-playground on High Park's west end along Parkside Dr was torched. I was just over there a couple of weeks ago snapping photos of it, since I've always thought it was the most awesome playground I could imagine.

sIGmG.jpg

didnt even know about this.
that is pretty sad.

Hieberrr

sIGmG.jpg

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/1147957--arson-suspected-in-high-park-playground-fire?bn=1

And speaking of crime.. some data released by Toronto Police on shootings / homicides, call ins and documented citizens. I always find these maps fascinating. The Star has a bunch of other maps for things like homicides / violent crimes, traffic, bicycle accidents and more.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...s-used-to-focus-toronto-policing-efforts?bn=1

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/164095--interactive-maps

Who the fuck would do such a thing :( This place was god-tier ='{

We were all laughing at you at the meetup.

Glad I could provide you with such amusement.

Naturally, the plus side of doing laundry on Friday night was that I had clean clothes for Saturday, whereby I was out rocking Little Italy until 3AM.

Pretty sure I made the right choice.

HEY Guyzzzzzz. I'm finally out of America and back in beautiful Toronto! Feels so damn good!

Did I miss anything while I was gone?

Toronto photo of the day:

6846860988_2138f2c1e6_b.jpg

Roto13

HEY Guyzzzzzz. I'm finally out of America and back in beautiful Toronto! Feels so damn good!

Did I miss anything while I was gone?

Toronto photo of the day:

6846860988_2138f2c1e6_b.jpg

This makes me want to go outside. Kinda.
I'm on the picket line folks.
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120318/120318_CUPE_Deadline/20120318/?hub=CP24Home

There's going to be a rally at City hall for library staff at 10 this morning.

Unlike the outside city workers we don't have much public support. A poll on cp24 showed 77% of respondents were not concerned about a library strike. Anyways, I'll have some free time to clear my gaming backlog.
Most people still see libraries as big rooms full of books and nothing more. They basically have the same feeling about a library strike as they would if Rogers Video (or whatever) went on strike.
Signatures and handshakes say a lot about someone...

Well my signature is much worse than his. What does that say about me? (It says that I have poor handwriting.)

You can't possibly have run out of actual legitimately negative things to say about Rob Ford.

Well, it's already 17° and it isn't even noon yet. It's gonna be 26° on Wednesday.

Are we in May already?

You can't possibly have run out of actual legitimately negative things to say about Rob Ford.

The guy's a walking cartoon character. Negative things to say about him pop up every other day.

Quadratic

Roto13 said:
Most people still see libraries as big rooms full of books and nothing more. They basically have the same feeling about a library strike as they would if Rogers Video (or whatever) went on strike.

Oh, I totally agree and I'm someone who has worked at the TPL for 11 years. I don't think people believe libraries are inherently bad. It's just a luxury that needs to be downsized. I see it where I work because management isn't "laying off" people but they are giving older workers a settlement package to retire early. Those jobs are not being replaced. I work at acquisitions so I'm a little out of touch at the public level. At branches you can tell it's less full time workers and more part timers and "automated" check outs. In the end, for most people libraries don't affect their quality of life as garbage pickup would. Although in high needs areas libraries are places where kids go after school before their parents get home. It's practically a daycare between 3-6pm.

Kunohara

I wonder how many people realize that you can actually take out movies and games for free in some libraries? Some of them have pretty recent stuff too. A friend of mine's brother was able to take out Halo Reach for nothing, and played the shit out of it a couple of weeks after it came out.

I still find it crazy that we have the biggest library system in the world. We actually beat New York in terms of amount of libraries.

Quadratic

The video game collection is a pilot. Only a few branches have them and they are only available at that branch. I think people underestimate the size and quality of our public libraries. However, if you combine the NYC libraries they would be as big or larger. They are still separated as boroughs. I believe HK has the most circulation in the world. But my facts could be old. I worked at a library near chinatown and Chinese circulation blew everything away.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Since I've moved here, i've used the library almost every second day.
I haven't used a public library outside of a school in almost 20 years. A bit of an aside, I know some people who use Chapters as a library and go there to read for an hour a day until they finish the book instead of buying it or going to the library and checking it out.

Kunohara

God I would have killed for wikipedia back when I was in school. Having to go to the library to do research was painful back in the dark ages. It did start my love of reading, but doing research on a subject you're not really interested in was not fun.

I really loved it when wikipedia went dark for a day. Oh the crying that ensued.

Rinoa

I really loved it when wikipedia went dark for a day. Oh the crying that ensued.

It was hilarious! Dumb reactions kept me and my coworkers entertained for a good 10mins.

Feening for a tenren bbt before Harp lesson, so nice out but blindingly bright... that's one side effect of PRK I guess I'll have to live with for a longass time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I don't use libraries much anymore, but they were invaluable when I was moving around a lot. Utilities wouldn't be hooked up (and there were no smart phones :p), so libraries were my only salvation for accessing the internet, and communicating with people. Most also could give you some handy information about the area, job postings, and various other resources.

Top Bottom