• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Going back on his word, or not, if it pays for the extension, they should look into it. Property taxes in Toronto (varying of course), tend to be even less than their suburban counter parts and will probably be met with less resistance than road tolls. ;)

this summer are we gonna die?! D:

50c with humidity, or bust! Next meetup will have to be in cold storage.

Also, why is he so desperate to connect the Sheppard line directly to STC? The Sheppard LRT plan would go all the way through Malvern and out towards the Zoo, through an area that needs transit. The mall already has one line going to it, and the plan for that line is to extend upward to Sheppard anyway.

Nope. Gotta go to the mall. Definitely the mall. Typical suburban thinking.

Roto13

I found a lot of my current favourite indie comic artists/writers by browsing the graphic novel sections at various libraries. Some of these still don't have much of an online presence yet.

I'm looking at you, Chris Ware.

Onemic

Is this a record for the warmest winter ever? Because it's definitely the warmest winter I've ever experienced in my life. 21 degrees and its still winter? That shit cray.

Hieberrr

Anybody know where I can grab a simple, clean, and light windbreaker jacket with a hoodie?

I've narrowed it down to one from Nike, but I really don't want to spend that much. 20-30 bucks is max.

Quick

Banned
A friend is offering me a call centre job for Rogers, has anyone ever worked in one?

This could be my first "real" job, but I don't know if the high stress level is worth it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
A friend is offering me a call centre job for Rogers, has anyone ever worked in one?

This could be my first "real" job, but I don't know if the high stress level is worth it.

You will be hated like nothing else.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I do know someone who just got out of it
call centre work is so monotonous and the people can be asses due to Rogers being dickheads
you're timed on your breaks and timed on EVERYTHING

Still, maybe you're the call centre type of guy and it can't hurt to have it on your resume, just be REALLY good about not taking the work and stress home with you.

dude took a paycut to work where I am right now cause he fucking hated it.

Quick

Banned
It's an immediate upgrade over "book monkey", but the stress and being a bitch absorber doesn't seem to be worth it. And I don't start immediately since I have to do a course, that turned me off a bit.

It's an immediate upgrade over "book monkey", but the stress and being a bitch absorber doesn't seem to be worth it. And I don't start immediately since I have to do a course, that turned me off a bit.

Is this an inbound or outbound call centre? Probably doesn't sound like it will make a difference right now, but it does.

Inbound call centres are premised on people needing something from you - so you'll have a fair contingent who start out nice but who become increasingly frustrated as you get farther into a script from which you cannot deviate.

Outbound call centres generally have higher turnover, because the string of profanities with which many callers are met makes them want to curl up and cry. You'll beg for the ones who just say "not interested" and hang up.

Parents of young children will swear a blue streak at old ladies just trying to make ends meet.

As an environment, both will track your time, in both you'll be call-monitored, and morale won't be high in either. But if you can stick with it for six months and get a recommendation out of it, and you'll be able to (rightly) claim that you've got superior client relations skills.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is this an inbound or outbound call centre? Probably doesn't sound like it will make a difference right now, but it does.

Inbound call centres are premised on people needing something from you - so you'll have a fair contingent who start out nice but who become increasingly frustrated as you get farther into a script from which you cannot deviate.

Outbound call centres generally have higher turnover, because the string of profanities with which many callers are met makes them want to curl up and cry. You'll beg for the ones who just say "not interested" and hang up.

Parents of young children will swear a blue streak at old ladies just trying to make ends meet.

As an environment, both will track your time, in both you'll be call-monitored, and morale won't be high in either. But if you can stick with it for six months and get a recommendation out of it, and you'll be able to (rightly) claim that you've got superior client relations skills.

Sums it up pretty well. I did my share of call centre work when I was younger and in between jobs. Schedules (rotating for me in all cases) were nightmares, and they track your statistics like they're a major league scouting department. The pay is generally better than minimum, but I'd always look at them as short term jobs, because by the third month, you'll probably be stressed out by every aspect of it. Unless of course it's an out bound, cold call sort of job, then I give it three weeks. ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I never understood people who get upset and swear and yell at the callers. All it does it get you upset when you yell at someone else. I'm always calm and say "No thank you" and then hang up. I don't see the point in getting worked up. I will admit that I sometimes have fun with them though. For example when someone calls me about new windows for my house I tell them I don't have any windows at all because I'm a vampire and sunlight will kill me. Another one I have is for duct cleaners. I tell them I don't have any ducks because I'm allergic to them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We only have a cell phone with no land line, so if we don't know the caller, we let them go to voice mail. We don't receive many spam-like calls, mostly from TD trying to get us to buy insurance a few times per week. It was indefinitely more annoying twenty years ago when you would receive a call at 6:00pm during dinner, and you had no answering machine, or caller ID.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I never understood people who get upset and swear and yell at the callers. All it does it get you upset when you yell at someone else. I'm always calm and say "No thank you" and then hang up. I don't see the point in getting worked up. I will admit that I sometimes have fun with them though. For example when someone calls me about new windows for my house I tell them I don't have any windows at all because I'm a vampire and sunlight will kill me. Another one I have is for duct cleaners. I tell them I don't have any ducks because I'm allergic to them.

I knew I was right to run away from you! :/

Btw, finished the game was great cept for all the crappy mini games.

Roto13

You will hate your life.

I worked at an Xbox call center. Never fucking again.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I worked for Bell's call centre for a bit selling the globe and mail. Tons of fun there, I was 19 so I didn't really care.

It always leads me to my favourite getting fired story of lameness, where they let me go because I went to the washroom twice during the work day. My favourite part of that was they let me go with about 2 hours left in the work day and gave me the option of working the reaminder of the day with pay or go home with pay. Not sure why they'd want me to work the last two hours knowing I wasn't coming back.

Also did call centre at Tarion for 2 years. That wasn't too bad though.

Good morning!

Toronto photo of the day:

6989701265_08bd73e3af_b.jpg

Beez

Banned

I hear my dad yelling at Rogers on the phone almost once a month about something, if you take the job maybe it'll be you? :-/

FairyD

I used to work at Rogers doing blackberry support. It wasn't exactly the best job, all the other roger employees treated you like shit because you were in the call center.

After a while you would hear the beep of the calls in your dreams. Really screws with you.

I want everything you post to be my wallpaper.

I missed you too!
I usually post the biggest size of the photo I can find each day... for ones where I have a larger wallpaper size, I will post that too... but generally the pic in the thread is the largest I was able to track down.

So guys... my wife went to the doctor and had a blood test confirming she has celiac disease which is a disorder where if you eat wheat, then your body attacks itself.
so that isn't good because she cant eat any wheat or gluten anymore but whatever, she just has to adjust.

The one thing I noticed is that it is trendy right now to have a gluten-free diet for no other reason than people having a hunch and diagnosing themselves with something. While I think that is pretty funny because I don't see why anyone would want the headache of eating this way if they don't have to - it is good for people like my wife who actually have a medical reason to eat this way since it means more stores will provide options for her to eat.

Having said all that, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get good gluten free groceries or breads or restaurants that cater to people like this?
Thanks!

iddqd

TORONTO!
where would you re-sell your games?
Gamestop wants to give me 22$ for mass effect 3 and I think thats NUTS.

any ideas?

Kunohara

TORONTO!

any ideas?

If you bought it from Amazon, seems like they are offering a full refund for the game. If not, I've had some good trade-ins at Futureshop and Best Buy. Gamestop sometimes does offer the better deal, but I never go in there.

Roto13

How do Game Centre's trade in values compare to other places? That's the only place I've ever traded in games. I only did it once.
I used to work at Rogers doing blackberry support. It wasn't exactly the best job, all the other roger employees treated you like shit because you were in the call center.

After a while you would hear the beep of the calls in your dreams. Really screws with you.

I used to answer my own cell phone "Thank you for calling Xbox- er, hello?

I missed you too!
I usually post the biggest size of the photo I can find each day... for ones where I have a larger wallpaper size, I will post that too... but generally the pic in the thread is the largest I was able to track down.

So guys... my wife went to the doctor and had a blood test confirming she has celiac disease which is a disorder where if you eat wheat, then your body attacks itself.
so that isn't good because she cant eat any wheat or gluten anymore but whatever, she just has to adjust.

The one thing I noticed is that it is trendy right now to have a gluten-free diet for no other reason than people having a hunch and diagnosing themselves with something. While I think that is pretty funny because I don't see why anyone would want the headache of eating this way if they don't have to - it is good for people like my wife who actually have a medical reason to eat this way since it means more stores will provide options for her to eat.

Having said all that, does anyone have any recommendations on where to get good gluten free groceries or breads or restaurants that cater to people like this?
Thanks!
The blood of a hipster flows through your wife's veins. Don't let her look at the full moon.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I missed you too!

Thanks!

Well there's Whole Foods and even Loblaws has a decent gluten free aisle now. The Low Carb Grocery has some gluten free stuff too.

zorbsie

TORONTO!

any ideas?

I trade all my games to Game Centre. I'm pretty sure they will give you a better deal than that. And you'll be supporting a mom and pop shop.

Also, wow I had no idea there was a Toronto GAF. Hi folks!

The blood of a hipster flows through your wife's veins.

That is exactly what I thought when I had to take her to the hospital and they gave her morphine to numb the horrible stomach pain she had! I figured she probably found a way to alter her internal health to suit current trends!

The Low Carb Grocery has some gluten free stuff too.

Thanks! This is very helpful!

Welcome! You should bookmark this thread for sure. It may save your life one day.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I trade all my games to Game Centre. I'm pretty sure they will give you a better deal than that. And you'll be supporting a mom and pop shop.

Yes. Game Centre is aware of Gamestop prices, and will generally beat them a bit. If you want cash it'll be less, but if you're good with store credit, they'll give you more.

iddqd

That is exactly what I thought when I had to take her to the hospital and they gave her morphine to numb the horrible stomach pain she had! I figured she probably found a way to alter her internal health to suit current trends!

Thanks! This is very helpful!

Welcome! You should bookmark this thread for sure. It may save your life one day.

My wife has similar problems and we have been gluten free for over 9months now.
It's not really hard and I still have some donuts when I feel like it.

His book/podcast/site
http://www.robbwolf.com/
is a good start. The paleo diet is a good starting point if you need to clean certain things up.

And even NO FRILLS has rice pasta now (and gluten free cake mixes)!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Call Centers suck ass. I used to work at a Call center for OnStar, worst, most stressful and annoying shit of all time.

I went on a business trip to Israel and everyone I was with voted for Rob Ford. Jerusalem has a really good above ground LRT system. Looked beautiful and they did a great job of weaving it throughout the city.

Also, anyone know the best deal I can get for a flight to New York on the weekend of April 6th? I assume Porter or West Jet but is there a place to go for special deals?

Thanks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I went on a business trip to Israel and everyone I was with voted for Rob Ford. Jerusalem has a really good above ground LRT system. Looked beautiful and they did a great job of weaving it throughout the city.

Also, anyone know the best deal I can get for a flight to New York on the weekend of April 6th? I assume Porter or West Jet but is there a place to go for special deals?

Thanks.

You missed some of the good deals mid-month for US bound flights. I'd keep checking RFD.

Flying from Buffalo is obviously going to be loads cheaper too, but it's a pain in the ass option for some (like me).

Top Bottom