• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Rinoa

I don't mind Mammohammerface not being there, listening to him talk is tiring.

Want Wong-Tam for mayor, it would be awesome.

I wonder if Ford continues to act like a spoiled baby or if he realizes that he needs votes on council and looks for compromises on other issues

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wonder if Ford continues to act like a spoiled baby or if he realizes that he needs votes on council and looks for compromises on other issues

He couldn't even compromise with his own side today and sponsor that proposal for parking levies to fund the subway.

Also, this is some fine reporting by the Star lol:

ibdSjyaak4MI2d.png

Divvy

Little he can do when these projects will be well underway by the time early 2015 rolls around. And seriously, even if he does somehow manage to get re-elected, the chances of Toronto electing mostly crazy/illogical councillors is slim.

Yeah, but we still have to listen to this crap for the next two years.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Little he can do when these projects will be well underway by the time early 2015 rolls around. And seriously, even if he does somehow manage to get re-elected, the chances of Toronto electing mostly crazy/illogical councillors is slim.

Don't jinx it. I'm sure he'll find another catchy slogan by then. And with all the construction going on with the LRTs, he'll be able to play that card with people sick of construction.

If you poll the city on subways vs. LRTs as well, just asked that question with no regards for funding, it would probably be a close 45/55 vote. Just look on Twitter. People don't understand how it all fits together, only what they want.

He'll have the Toronto Sun going on about how the suburbs were betrayed for the next three years. I'm sure he'll have a chance.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ahhhh

so nice and hot today

so hot that we were allowed to go home earlier! :D

I'll pull a Ford

"Magnus! The people have spoken! PUB BURGERS ARE NOT THAT GREAT! YOU ARE WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!"

mcrae

hey toronto gaf i need your help. just secured a 8 month co op as a construction inspector (may - december) working out of richmond hill. only need to go to the office maybe once a week.

so i need an apartment... or sublet.. or something. im from niagara falls so something thats within 30 minutes of richmond hill, in the direction of niagara falls, would be ideal... where does this mean i'd be looking? im totally unsure about any existance of rush hours on the major highways up there, other than the qew. i need a place with a parking space...

Flash

I gotta say that I'm pretty happy with the democracy here in Toronto... even though we elected a complete idiot, our councillors are working hard to stop him from ruining our city.

hey toronto gaf i need your help. just secured a 8 month co op as a construction inspector (may - december) working out of richmond hill.

so i need an apartment... or sublet.. or something. im from niagara falls so something thats within 30 minutes of richmond hill, in the direction of niagara falls, would be ideal... where does this mean i'd be looking? im totally unsure about any existance of rush hours on the major highways up there, other than the qew. i need a place with a parking space...

30 mins from Richmond Hill in the direction of Niagara Falls is (Downtown) Toronto. Just find a place in Richmond Hill. It'll be much cheaper, especially if you need a parking spot, plus Richmond Hill is bordered by highways on every side so it's easy to get outta there.

Quadratic

Well, since it was a beautiful day out I went to burger priest. Holy crap it was busy. Went around 1pm this afternoon. Take out place only. Surprised at how tiny it was. The counter and the stools against the wall are for waiting only. And I understood why. So I took my burger to Woodbine park to eat. I've heard bad and good things. My experience was the latter. I got the priest with the deep fried cheese stuffed mushroom on the burger. The mushroom was gooey and crisp. The meat was juicy. It didn't quite fall apart as much as I thought it would. I expected it to me a soggy mess since I walked for about 5 mins to the park and thought the steam would kill the bun but it wasn't. So for me it will be repeat business this summer.

IMG_0415.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Burger Priest is just too expensive for the portion. The freshly ground beef is the best part about the place, but it's busy, small, tiny servings, McDonald's like bun, very select menu even with the inclusion of their trendy 'secret menu' and the people that work there seem to hate it. We don't make the trip to the east end often, but no repeat business from us. Especially with Burger Shoppe nearby for similar prices and twice the burger. Glad you had a better experience than us. ;)

Helmholtz

Burger Priest is just too expensive for the portion. The freshly ground beef is the best part about the place, but it's busy, small, tiny servings, McDonald's like bun, very select menu even with the inclusion of their trendy 'secret menu' and the people that work there seem to hate it. We don't make the trip to the east end often, but no repeat business from us. Especially with Burger Shoppe nearby for similar prices and twice the burger. Glad you had a better experience than us. ;)
Burger Shoppe sounds good... I'll have to check it out sometime

whitehawk

Banned
Well, since it was a beautiful day out I went to burger priest. Holy crap it was busy. Went around 1pm this afternoon. Take out place only. Surprised at how tiny it was. The counter and the stools against the wall are for waiting only. And I understood why. So I took my burger to Woodbine park to eat. I've heard bad and good things. My experience was the latter. I got the priest with the deep fried cheese stuffed mushroom on the burger. The mushroom was gooey and crisp. The meat was juicy. It didn't quite fall apart as much as I thought it would. I expected it to me a soggy mess since I walked for about 5 mins to the park and thought the steam would kill the bun but it wasn't. So for me it will be repeat business this summer.

IMG_0415.jpg
Burger Priest sucks balls.

Licks / SquareBoy / South Street Burger Co. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Burger Priest.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
hey toronto gaf i need your help. just secured a 8 month co op as a construction inspector (may - december) working out of richmond hill.

If you drive, try scarborough or markham?

mcrae

30 mins from Richmond Hill in the direction of Niagara Falls is (Downtown) Toronto. Just find a place in Richmond Hill. It'll be much cheaper, especially if you need a parking spot, plus Richmond Hill is bordered by highways on every side so it's easy to get outta there.

oh i forgot to say that i only need to go to the office once a week or so, plus they pay for travel from the time that i leave my house. i figure downtown is completely out, but maybe something more west?

If you drive, try scarborough or markham?

ok

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
oh i forgot to say that i only need to go to the office once a week or so, plus they pay for travel from the time that i leave my house. i figure downtown is completely out, but maybe something more west?

ok

If you're only in the office once a week, feel free to check out places downtown. Driving to Richmond Hill from downtown every day is a pain, but once per week, you may enjoy spending more time downtown.

I live west of High Park, which is boarding Etobicoke. $850 inclusive for a one bedroom, $1,100 inclusive for a two bedroom. This is the low end starting rate in the city. Anything cheaper is probably going to mean the building is not well kept, you're renting a basement, or there have been bedbugs.

If you can afford it and want it, you can find a lot of lovely places in the core. The difference in driving time from Niagara to the west end is only five minutes less than Niagara to the core, so really, unless you're living in Scarborough, or north (like Richmond Hill), it's not going to make a big difference.

mcrae

If you're only in the office once a week, feel free to check out places downtown. Driving to Richmond Hill from downtown every day is a pain, but once per week, you may enjoy spending more time downtown.

I live west of High Park, which is boarding Etobicoke. $850 inclusive for a one bedroom, $1,100 inclusive for a two bedroom. This is the low end starting rate in the city. Anything cheaper is probably going to mean the building is not well kept, you're renting a basement, or there have been bedbugs.

If you can afford it and want it, you can find a lot of lovely places in the core. The difference in driving time from Niagara to the west end is only five minutes less than Niagara to the core, so really, unless you're living in Scarborough, or north (like Richmond Hill), it's not going to make a big difference.

yeah i think about 600$ is my higher limit, everything included. figured needing a parking space+that price range = no downtown. i dont care about living with roomates, whether its an apartment/house, etc, just want a parking spot and a room larger than a shoebox. the one im in right now is 12x15' and its perfect

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
yeah i think about 600$ is my higher limit, everything included. figured needing a parking space+that price range = no downtown. i dont care about living with roomates, whether its an apartment/house, etc, just want a parking spot and a room larger than a shoebox. the one im in right now is 12x15' and its perfect

You can probably find a bachelor under $700, but I'd start looking as soon as you can so you give yourself the best chance to find something decent and you don't end up living in a rat infested basement of new homeowners, trying to pay off their mortgage they can't afford. ;)

Since your close by, hopefully you can devote a couple of weeks to staying in Toronto and checking out buildings. Resources are in the OT, but I'll just say Viewit, Kijiji, and craigslist will help a lot.

Quadratic

I worked near a burger shoppe while working on Queen East / Broadview. It was good but Dangerous Dans was close by and they don't have fries as good as Dan's. The whole gourmet burger debate is subjective anyhow. I went to Woody's and didn't think their burger was all that good. Southwest Burger Co at Yonge and Eglinton was awful. Great Burger Kitchen is hit or miss. Five guys has it's defenders and haters. (I prefer In and Out personally but they are only in the west coast US). I guess we can all agree we're lucky to have all these options. Last year when I was in NYC I saw a lot of gourmet hot dog shops. I think that will be the next food "fad" to come over. Wasn't Japadog opening a spot in Toronto? I haven't heard anything since last year.

I worked near a burger shoppe while working on Queen East / Broadview. It was good but Dangerous Dans was close by and they don't have fries as good as Dan's. The whole gourmet burger debate is subjective anyhow. I went to Woody's and didn't think their burger was all that good. Southwest Burger Co at Yonge and Eglinton was awful. Great Burger Kitchen is hit or miss. Five guys has it's defenders and haters. (I prefer In and Out personally but they are only in the west coast US). I guess we can all agree we're lucky to have all these options. Last year when I was in NYC I saw a lot of gourmet hot dog shops. I think that will be the next food "fad" to come over. Wasn't Japadog opening a spot in Toronto? I haven't heard anything since last year.

There's a hot dog place close to Queen/University called Fusia Dog but it's so expensive and really, really average. http://fusiadog.com/about-us/

There also used to be a hot dog place on Roncesvales called Buhdda Dog but it was also expensive and below average. It's been out of business for a couple years now though. http://buddhafoodha.com/

Yeah, you won't be able to get shit for $600 anywhere close to downtown. I pay $1750 for a 3BR on Roncesvales which is a steal considering the location/square footage.

Divvy

Lick's widely varies by location. The one in oakville I frequented when I was in college was really good.

Goldstar is my favourite, I'm lucky to live pretty close to it.

whitehawk

Banned
wtf...
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.
wat? Lick's has amazing burgers. Squareboy isn't great, but it's cheap. A meal is less than $5. And with an SPC card (Student Price Card) I can get a burger combo (+large fries) for about $6.50.

Wimpy's is good. Haven't been there for a while though. I should go sometime soon.

Also Great Burger Kitchen near Jones and Gerrard is great.

$600 is possible if you get a roommate. If you're looking right in the heart of downtown, try Gerrard and Yonge. I know a lot of people who are paying between $400-$800 living with 2-4 roommates. It's cheap cause a lot of Ryerson students are in that building.

Kunohara

Seriously, licks burgers are dry and crumbly.

How do people feel about Wimpy's?

I actually had a Wimpy's just around the corner from me back when I still lived with my mom years ago. I used to go there sometimes, and back then, their burgers were damn good. Fucking huge too. Best part was that they made sure the meat was cooked well considering the size.

Now, they've really made their signature "big" burgers not so big anymore. The quality also seemed to go down. Really disappointing. Good shakes though.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I actually had a Wimpy's just around the corner from me back when I still lived with my mom years ago. I used to go there sometimes, and back then, their burgers were damn good. Fucking huge too. Best part was that they made sure the meat was cooked well considering the size.

Now, they've really made their signature "big" burgers not so big anymore. The quality also seemed to go down. Really disappointing. Good shakes though.

Do they still laugh at you if you don't finish the big burger?

Kunohara

Do they still laugh at you if you don't finish the big burger?

I've always finished it, so I wouldn't know :)

My parents actually knew the owners of the place back then, so it was all good. It was only when they changed management that things started going south.

Stet

Banned
Dangerous Dan's is good if you're in the mood for trash. Their website is eerily prescient as they rate the best menu items with pot leafs, and their food is pretty much only palatable when you're stoned.

Azih

hey toronto gaf i need your help. just secured a 8 month co op as a construction inspector (may - december) working out of richmond hill. only need to go to the office maybe once a week.

I'd think of Yonge/Steeles Yonge/Finch area. Close to Richmond Hill and the Yonge/Finch subway as well to head downtown plus pretty easy to get a parking spot. You can grab the 401 to the 403 to the QEW without much of a problem.

Top Bottom