• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

If I ever venture that far north into the apparent wasteland (see photo below), I'll try it out. ;)

ikmVx.jpg

The good thing about Gryfe's Bagels is that you don't need to go all the way to their shop to get them. Stores all over the city get deliveries from them.
Just in my neighbourhood, I know two places to get them.
Whole Foods has them in Yorkville and the Kitchen Table place at Dupont and Davenport have them too. They get fresh deliveries each morning so I just go buy them there.
I love those bagels.

Stet

Banned
Worse than Pusateri's? I don't go there anymore after that cockroach debacle.

As I can recall, yeah. McEwan's is really more like an overgrown specialty shop. I'm glad that Top Chef Canada is using them this year, because Loblaws last year was super embarrassing, but I'd only ever go to McEwan's if there was something specific I needed.

Gryfe's are good, but so are the St. Urbain at the St. Lawrence Market.

Roto13

The good thing about Gryfe's Bagels is that you don't need to go all the way to their shop to get them. Stores all over the city get deliveries from them.
Just in my neighbourhood, I know two places to get them.
Whole Foods has them in Yorkville and the Kitchen Table place at Dupont and Davenport have them too. They get fresh deliveries each morning so I just go buy them there.
I love those bagels.

Is that so? Hmm. I wonder if anywhere near Church and Wellesley has them.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
As I can recall, yeah. McEwan's is really more like an overgrown specialty shop. I'm glad that Top Chef Canada is using them this year, because Loblaws last year was super embarrassing, but I'd only ever go to McEwan's if there was something specific I needed.

Gryfe's are good, but so are the St. Urbain at the St. Lawrence Market.

Yeah I don't know why they didn't just use Whole Foods like in the US.

They have multiple locations. The one in Yorkville isn't infested. Just way too many staff...none of whom are helpful.

Well there were reports that products were shipped back and forth between the shops. Regardless, I'm just going to give them a few months to get their shit together before I go back. Probably during summer to get some steaks for bbq.

Roto13

Toronto GAF! Toronto GAF! I have kittens!

vhoNE.jpg

uQmpa.jpg

ylON3.jpg

b8czL.jpg

5E2gR.jpg

H3RKO.jpg

They're so sweet! My husband brought them home. They were a surprise. They're setting in nicely. They're both asleep on my lap right now. They haven't used the litter box yet, but they haven't peed or pooped anywhere else yet either.

Quick

Banned
I almost forgot....

Toronto photo of the day:

7002043101_428f2c0731_b.jpg

Great photo. Look at those glass buildings in the distance.

KITTENS!

KITTENS!

KITTENS!

KITTENS!

KITTENS!

KITTENS!

They're so sweet! My husband brought them home. They were a surprise. They're setting in nicely. They're both asleep on my lap right now. They haven't used the litter box yet, but they haven't peed or pooped anywhere else yet either.

Cute kittens. I see one giving you the cat eyes, lol. Get them spayed or neutered, if they haven't been yet.

Divvy

It's not just burgers man. Toronto is one of the best cities in the world food wise. Say what you will about multiculturalism, it's brought us an amazing variety of restaurants all in one city.

Sonki.

Banned
Does anybody know a good park or ravine or trail that is large and beautiful around the city? I'm going to take some mushrooms and go for a journey. I'm hoping that it's large enough that I can get lost in for at least a 4-5 hours. I'm looking online and not really finding much. What is sunnybrook park like?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anybody know a good park or ravine or trail that is large and beautiful around the city? I'm going to take some mushrooms and go for a journey. I'm hoping that it's large enough that I can get lost in for at least a 4-5 hours. I'm looking online and not really finding much. What is sunnybrook park like?

Cedarvale Ravine is pretty, being such a deep ravine. The north west section is heavily used, but further in it becomes a dirt trail and there are are fewer people around. Obviously Bluffer's Park is pretty nice, but watch those cliffs. :p

King's Mills Park / Humber South is nice on the west end. Lots of open fields of grass, some tall, some not, right on the humber.

Black-Box

It's not just burgers man. Toronto is one of the best cities in the world food wise. Say what you will about multiculturalism, it's brought us an amazing variety of restaurants all in one city.

When ever I go there, it is just to go to the rom, rogers rogers center, haven't even been to the CN tower, and I live 30 mins drive away LOL. but It seems like I really need to check out everything else, I also think I will get shot walking around T.O for some reason

Rinoa

H3RKO.jpg

Cute little guys, nice they're not peeing/pooping/barfing everywhere. When my little brother took in a kitten to help someone out it was just tiring.

whitehawk

Banned
Hmm... You could walk around High Park. It's huge, and a lot of it is just trails, not open space.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1151706--mayor-rob-ford-seeks-slate-in-next-election

So Rob Ford is going to try to get rid of all that oppose him. He's recruiting new potential councillor candidates right now.

Something tells me that we're going to have to do some sort of counter campaign to fight this or we might be in even more trouble post election.

He wasn't joking when he said "the next election starts today". Of course, who's running the city while he's campaigning? Those "24" that he loathes.

Rob Ford said:
“There eight or nine councillors that won by only a few hundred votes, and those eight or nine councillors are left-wing councillors that are dictating the way we have transportation, the way we’re spending the money,” he said

Says the guy who declared council's decision was "irrelevant". Such a hypocrite.

He has a "football" mind. To him this is nothing but a football game, and you either win or lose. So now he's focused solely on "winning", rather than, you know, doing his job.

Divvy

Yea which is why I feel like the progressives in this city need to do an anti-misinformation campaign against him. I've learned not to underestimate the voting power of conservatives, so I'm not supremely confident he won't be re-elected. So it's pretty important to reach out to people and clear up propaganda though. I think the progressives usually try doing this through the internet, but I don't think that reaches enough people, especially the older and immigrant populations.

Yea which is why I feel like the progressives in this city need to do an anti-misinformation campaign against him. I've learned not to underestimate the voting power of conservatives, so I'm not supremely confident he won't be re-elected. So it's pretty important to reach out to people and clear up propaganda though. I think the progressives usually try doing this through the internet, but I don't think that reaches enough people, especially the older and immigrant populations.

I've seen enough elections to know that Rob Ford shouldn't be underestimated. Even though he has a track record full of gigantic craters at this point, he can still prey on delicious ignorance. There's more than enough of it in the voting base.

As for the progressives, I expect them to do fuck all. They'll go on about how running a "dirty" campaign is wrong and they have to take the higher ground by talking only about the issues... and meanwhile Ford will run the typical conservative gambit and spread lies, disinformation, mass distortions of truth, and dig up every little thing he can to smear his opponents with. The Sun, which is the bible of the "working class"*, will be there to help every inch of the way.

(*I have nothing against the working class, but man, a large segment of it is ignorant and proud of it.)

RS4-

My parents have been going to Gryfe's for quite some time. Hell, sometimes when I go down to the US, relatives ask us to bring them bagels lol.

Buddy and his wife want to return to the Hell that is FanExpo.

I might tag along just to visit civilization again. F*ck that god awful nerd pile. Just be a tourist in the city. Also beat up my stupid SF4 loving Canadian friend in 3S. >:D

Hey now, I don't recall ever saying that I love SFIV!

:p

Azih

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1151706--mayor-rob-ford-seeks-slate-in-next-election

So Rob Ford is going to try to get rid of all that oppose him. He's recruiting new potential councillor candidates right now.

Something tells me that we're going to have to do some sort of counter campaign to fight this or we might be in even more trouble post election.

Ford Nation kinda petered out before even the provincial election came about. And now even The Sun has backed off a bit from the cheerleading.

Divvy

I've seen enough elections to know that Rob Ford shouldn't be underestimated. Even though he has a track record full of gigantic craters at this point, he can still prey on delicious ignorance. There's more than enough of it in the voting base.

As for the progressives, I expect them to do fuck all. They'll go on about how running a "dirty" campaign is wrong and they have to take the higher ground by talking only about the issues... and meanwhile Ford will run the typical conservative gambit and spread lies, disinformation, mass distortions of truth, and dig up every little thing he can to smear his opponents with. The Sun, which is the bible of the "working class"*, will be there to help every inch of the way.

(*I have nothing against the working class, but man, a large segment of it is ignorant and proud of it.)

Pretty much. I don't think the progressives need to run a smear campaign at all. Ford's given them enough ammunition to do "truth" campaign. They'll probably just fail at delivering that message, which is something that should be addressed.

Ford Nation kinda petered out before even the provincial election came about. And now even The Sun has backed off a bit from the cheerleading.

Don't underestimate conservative voters. For many of them the only thinking process is: "the conservative party will probably lower my taxes so I'll vote for them" regardless of any facts against that point.

Don't underestimate conservative voters. For many of them the only thinking process is: "the conservative party will probably lower my taxes so I'll vote for them" regardless of any facts against that point.

No, the main plank is going to be "The left took away the subways that you deserved and replaced them with streetcars that will get in the way of your car and kill local businesses."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
No, the main plank is going to be "The left took away the subways that you deserved and replaced them with streetcars that will get in the way of your car and kill local businesses."
Add to that the frustration people will be experiencing with construction happening during the next election.

Ford: "Look, just like the St Clair disaster I said it would be!"

Add to that the frustration people will be experiencing with construction happening during the next election.

Even though subway construction would have been just as disruptive, if not more.

It's a lose-lose situation. I can also see Ford and Co. tearing up the work already done at that point if they're given the opportunity.

My parents have been going to Gryfe's for quite some time. Hell, sometimes when I go down to the US, relatives ask us to bring them bagels lol.

Fuck yeah!

When I was in New York a couple weeks ago, my friend asked me what my favourite bagels are.. Montreal style or New York style?
I told him that my favourites are done by a place in Toronto that does its own thing that never leaves our city.
Montreal style are sweet with a large hole in the middle.
New York style is like really dense with no sweetness.
I like both of those styles a lot actually but I LOVE Gryfe's the best. Their bagels are as soft as a croissant inside with a hard exterior. They are so good that I can even eat them plain with nothing done to them on my way home from the store.
If anyone gets them, make sure to eat them within 2 days though because that croissant style soft interior only lasts a little while.

RS4-

With salmon spread or herb and garlic spread.

Good times to be had by all

They sell their own cream cheese right? That one I'm not too fond of

KITTIES!

If you do end up having some trouble with them consistently going to the litter box, just drop them in it once and awhile. Eventually they get the idea and go on their own.

Also, please don't let them become outdoor cats. Letting your kitty out to never have them come back is heartbreaking :(

Roto13

If you do end up having some trouble with them consistently going to the litter box, just drop them in it once and awhile. Eventually they get the idea and go on their own.

Also, please don't let them become outdoor cats. Letting your kitty out to never have them come back is heartbreaking :(

Yeah, that's what I've been doing with the litter box. They've been using it all day today. I think they're trained now. :p

Outdoor cats probably aren't a good idea downtown in general. :p

So any Toronto GAF going to see DJ Shadow on 4/2? Nerve (JoJo Mayers) drum and bass band is opening, I'm debating going but have no one to go with. Wife isn't into that sort of stuff. Toronto is closer than Syracuse...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah!

When I was in New York a couple weeks ago, my friend asked me what my favourite bagels are.. Montreal style or New York style?
I told him that my favourites are done by a place in Toronto that does its own thing that never leaves our city.
Montreal style are sweet with a large hole in the middle.
New York style is like really dense with no sweetness.
I like both of those styles a lot actually but I LOVE Gryfe's the best. Their bagels are as soft as a croissant inside with a hard exterior. They are so good that I can even eat them plain with nothing done to them on my way home from the store.
If anyone gets them, make sure to eat them within 2 days though because that croissant style soft interior only lasts a little while.

Dafugg....?!

Never heard of this place and I used to date a Jewish girl too.

I'd better be goddamn impressed with these god tier bagels...

I can't trust TO Gaf's taste in burgers. COME AT ME YA HOSERS!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
haha did you really? I grabbed it from Skyscrapercity. Were you the person that posted it there as the username "bigcitybrightlights"? Anyways, that is an awesome picture! Keep up the good work!

Hah yeah man thats me. I figured it was just a matter of time before one of my pics showed up. Same pic has been on Torontoist and Blog.to. Thanks :)

Stet

Banned
They're not going to ban Toronto Age to Community are they? ARE THEY?

Well, they hate good threads so I assume so. OT is just for posting news articles and then arguing about rape, capital punishment, circumcision, tipping, feminism and cultural relativism.

Roto13

Well, they hate good threads so I assume so. OT is just for posting news articles and then arguing about rape, capital punishment, circumcision, tipping, feminism and cultural relativism.

Raping children is ok in some countries, who are we to judge?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just thought I'd throw this out see if anyone has any recommendations.

So I am thinking about getting into golf this year but I'm definitely going to take some lessons. Does anyone here know of any reputable places I could go to learn.

Whether in Toronto or around me in Vaughan/Thornhill.

Thank you advance you are all lovely...except Kraftwerks, he and only he gets my hate.

Top Bottom