• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

2 units of the inside workers accepted the cities offer, 2 rejected it

One of the two that rejected it is an essential service and can't strike, the other is the part time recreation workers

Toronto photo of the day:

7008820447_c0d93c12c0_b.jpg

Willectro

Banned
I work in a skill trade (fire protection sprinklers) one thing I can tell you is, getting into the elevator union is very very very tough, almost impossible. They are the highest paid trade on the job. Followed by sprinkler guys, plumbers, electricians.

A tip might be to go to some of the companies you wish to work with and explain your situation, they might take you on and work with the union to get you accepted.

And your right, no one wants apprentices....the most desirable is a 3rd year worker, as they have a good understanding of the job and don't make full rate yet.

Getting into a skill trade is a great choice (if your unhappy at your current job) the pay is great (85-100k) but it is very hard work.

Have you thought about plumbing or electrician? There are a ton of companies here in Woodbridge that will bend some rules to get a good worker. I know this first hand.

Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking about plumbing as well.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Win or lose, I think we can all agree that we suck. If Scrivens doesn't work out tonight, maybe I can get a chance to play goalie. I have a 6-year-old cousin who owns skates, why not throw him in?

You get some too Stet! Only because I was sad you weren't able to come out the last time.

Magnus

Would it be weird to do a buy/sell post in here? I have interest in selling a bunch of games/blurays, but no desire to bother with shipping and extra fees. So I'd wanna do it within Toronto and just meet a fellow gaffer buyer at our mutual convenience.

Roto13

Would it be weird to do a buy/sell post in here? I have interest in selling a bunch of games/blurays, but no desire to bother with shipping and extra fees. So I'd wanna do it within Toronto and just meet a fellow gaffer buyer at our mutual convenience.

That would probably be ok.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Man we just having healthy conversation. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Kuro you wrong man, you wrong!

If it's wrong to see Yakupov (we could still trade up) or Grigorenko (he could still be available if we keep tanking) or Forsberg (still possible) in a Leafs jersey soon, then, my friend, I don't want to be goddamn right.
:mad:

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Leafs have entered sports purgatory, where they don't suck enough to secure the highest draft picks, but don't win enough to actually matter. Of course, high draft picks don't help if you make terrible decisions (ie; Raptors).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Leafs have entered sports purgatory, where they don't suck enough to secure the highest draft picks, but don't win enough to actually matter. Of course, high draft picks don't help if you make terrible decisions (ie; Raptors).
Does it matter when people will still buy tickets to go watch them?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm...I'll say one thing.

The raptors may suck, but they have generally drafted quite well. We've had several rookies of the year and franchise players. That Bargniani pick was pretty good too since that was a weak WEAK draft.

I don't remember the last time the Leafs drafted a star for true franchise player.

Stet

Banned

You say that now, but in 5 games they could be in second last!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hmm...I'll say one thing.

The raptors may suck, but they have generally drafted quite well. We've had several rookies of the year and franchise players. That Bargniani pick was pretty good too since that was a weak WEAK draft.

I don't remember the last time the Leafs drafted a star for true franchise player.

Raptors have not really drafted that well, you're giving them way too much credit. Ed Davis had questions about his enthusiasm for playing basketball in college (ie; he plays basketball because he is tall), and he looks like he doesn't give a shit with the Raptors. You could argue the draft was terrible and there was no one 'better' drafted after him, but the seems to always be the case with the Raptors. At some point, it comes down to your decisions.

DeRozan in 2009. A player with no real basketball skill, but an athletic freak. This is not Vince Carter, who could actually shoot, defend, and take over. DeRozan is the worst shooting two guard in the league, by a mile. He's a volume mid range shooter with not three point threat on a bad team. Now imagine Jrue Holiday on the Raptors. :(

2008 was basically a salary dump to off load T.J. Ford and pray we could keep Bosh. But this was the most terrible of all moves. We picked up a trade exception we never used (as they rarely are), and had nothing in the draft. We also signed useless Jarett Jack because he was friends with Bosh. trololol Of course, this is coming off the 2007 draft where they had NO draft picks because of trades.

And then we come to the Bargnani draft in 2006, which is greatly overstated as a 'terrible draft'. The Raptors didn't draft Aldridge because he played Bosh's position, but Bargs was no centre. We also had the chance to take Rondo, or Gay, but went with Bargnani, who everyone was screaming NEXT DIRK, NEXT DIRK about. Sadly, this was by far our best draft in the last 5 years.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Raptors have not really drafted that well, you're giving them way too much credit. Ed Davis had questions about his enthusiasm for playing basketball in college (ie; he plays basketball because he is tall), and he looks like he doesn't give a shit with the Raptors. You could argue the draft was terrible and there was no one 'better' drafted after him, but the seems to always be the case with the Raptors. At some point, it comes down to your decisions.

DeRozan in 2009. A player with no real basketball skill, but an athletic freak. This is not Vince Carter, who could actually shoot, defend, and take over. DeRozan is the worst shooting two guard in the league, by a mile. He's a volume mid range shooter with not three point threat on a bad team. Now imagine Jrue Holiday on the Raptors. :(

2008 was basically a salary dump to off load T.J. Ford and pray we could keep Bosh. But this was the most terrible of all moves. We picked up a trade exception we never used (as they rarely are), and had nothing in the draft. We also signed useless Jarett Jack because he was friends with Bosh. trololol Of course, this is coming off the 2007 draft where they had NO draft picks because of trades.

And then we come to the Bargnani draft in 2006, which is greatly overstated as a 'terrible draft'. The Raptors didn't draft Aldridge because he played Bosh's position, but Bargs was no centre. We also had the chance to take Rondo, or Gay, but went with Bargnani, who everyone was screaming NEXT DIRK, NEXT DIRK about. Sadly, this was by far our best draft in the last 5 years.

Maybe recently we've been bad, but
Damon Stoudamire
Tracy McGrady
Chris Bosh
Andrea Bargnani
Marcus Camby
Morris Peterson?

You could kind of, but not really, throw Carter in there.

And we're going to get a high pick this year as well...hopefully someone that can save this sinking ship.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Maybe recently we've been bad, but
Damon Stoudamire
Tracy McGrady
Chris Bosh
Andrea Bargnani
Marcus Camby
Morris Peterson?

You could kind of, but not really, throw Carter in there.

And we're going to get a high pick this year as well...hopefully someone that can save this sinking ship.

Yeah, I'm just talking since Colangelo took over as GM. I can't believe he's still employed. Too bad this draft is avoid of guard talent.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Derozan they definitely took a gamble on, they saw an athletic wing and hoped he would pan out. He is showing slight progression this year but definitely is well below what many would expect him to be.

the 2006 draft a lot of people like to look back at it and say "we could have had..." only because he had the #1 pick. If we look back in hindsight sure we could have got Rondo or Gay or whoever but at the time none of these guys were projected as can't miss prospects.

A lot of people were just a few years ago in a uproar that we should have gone after Brandon Roy. Now he's retired because of the reasons a lot of teams looked past him, they didn't think his knees could hold up for long.

And dammit Kuro! I know it's for the better good but it hurts man! It hurts! I refuse to cheer against the Leafs. I'll just sit there with my arms folded. :(

This is straight from an application to Toronto City Planning:

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Related Applications

OPA / Rezoning

Redevelopment of Holt Renfrew Site with a mixed-use condo development inclusive of existing and new space. It will include one 83-storey residential tower rising from an 8-storey commercial podium containing Holt Renfrew department store as well as other retail and service uses.
Application Number 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Application Status Application Submitted
Planner Name
Phone Number --- Status Date Mar 22, 2012
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Mar 22, 2012
Statutory Meeting Date --- Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 18,835

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 71,780
Lot Size (sq m) 5,920
Proposed Residential Units 600
Proposed Storeys 83

Oh man.... so 83 stories at the Holt Renfrew site.. that would make it around the same height as the current tallest building in Toronto (First Canadian Place).

Will this finally be the one that crashes the condo market?

whitehawk

Banned
Shiiiiit, I forgot that the Zelda symphony tickets went on sale yesterday. There's a still a bunch of seats available, but the best ones are taken. Anyone else going?

daemonic

Banned
This is straight from an application to Toronto City Planning:

50 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

Related Applications

OPA / Rezoning

Redevelopment of Holt Renfrew Site with a mixed-use condo development inclusive of existing and new space. It will include one 83-storey residential tower rising from an 8-storey commercial podium containing Holt Renfrew department store as well as other retail and service uses.
Application Number 12 141351 STE 27 OZ Application Status Application Submitted
Planner Name
Phone Number --- Status Date Mar 22, 2012
Community Meeting Date --- Date Received Mar 22, 2012
Statutory Meeting Date --- Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 18,835

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 71,780
Lot Size (sq m) 5,920
Proposed Residential Units 600
Proposed Storeys 83

Oh man.... so 83 stories at the Holt Renfrew site.. that would make it around the same height as the current tallest building in Toronto (First Canadian Place).

Will this finally be the one that crashes the condo market?

Just when I thought the construction on Bloor had finally come to an end.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Shiiiiit, I forgot that the Zelda symphony tickets went on sale yesterday. There's a still a bunch of seats available, but the best ones are taken. Anyone else going?

Already bought three tickets yesterday. Don't forget to use the coupon code BOBOKIN to save 15%

Rinoa

Dupont station is a bit brighter, they replaced the lights in the station and have new covers that are flat. No longer the bubble-y covers that were never replaced for ages, I guess the original company that made them is long gone.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ahahah great, now this thread is fucked too. Thanks, Evilore!

Now we're stuck with the likes of Pony-GAF. This is truly a dark day and we're the only city thread to be brought over. edit: Looks like LA has joined us.

Just subscribe to the thread, but this does mean our flow of new members will basically stop :(.

Ahahah great, now this thread is fucked too. Thanks, Evilore!

Yeah... these new changes are really lame.. and I'm not just saying that because it changed at all and I hate change. It's just made it so it will be impossible for new people to find the thread now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah... these new changes are really lame.. and I'm not just saying that because it changed at all and I hate change. It's just made it so it will be impossible for new people to find the thread now.

My 'plan/idea' is to link to the thread whenever I post a Toronto news related item in OT now; which I will try to do more of, considering this thread is stuck in the abyss.

Quadratic

Dupont station is a bit brighter, they replaced the lights in the station and have new covers that are flat. No longer the bubble-y covers that were never replaced for ages, I guess the original company that made them is long gone.

Speaking of Dupont station, is that Roti cafe run by two Korean ladies still next to the Shoppers Drugmart near by? I have to admit the roti they make is decent. I used to grab my lunch there when I worked in the annex.

Stet

Banned
Just subscribe to the thread, but this does mean our flow of new members will basically stop :(.

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about myself, but the only reason I found out about Toronto-GAF in the first place was because it popped up in OT one day and I said, "Whoa, there's a Toronto thread?"

But hey, who doesn't love insular circlejerks!!

Roto13

Does anybody on this forum actually like the idea of a Community board? Like, anyone besides EvilLore? I don't think I've ever read a positive word about it.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Now we're stuck with the likes of Pony-GAF. This is truly a dark day and we're the only city thread to be brought over. edit: Looks like LA has joined us.

I find it hilarious that with every single thread that has been moved here that is the first complaint.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anybody on this forum actually like the idea of a Community board? Like, anyone besides EvilLore? I don't think I've ever read a positive word about it.

I might have less issue with it if it were more structured. If there were subsets for Regional OTs, Television/Movie OTs. Sports OTs; just something to help sort it more. Community is a grave yard, and it can be very tough for people to navigate it casually, looking for a thread that might interest them.

But Evilore and friends obviously know this. The reasoning for moving threads like this to community, is it was already 'self sustaining'. But unlike the Sports threads, which seems like their desperate attempt to make Community relevant, we rely on random people finding the thread to make it what it is. Evilore freely admits that Community section is not for browsing; it's for already formed communities.

Again, I think it could work with more structure, but they're going about it all wrong.

Quick

Banned
I was wondering where the hell this thread went, since it's usually busy enough to pop into the first page of Off-Topic at least twice a day.

I probably should've done it already, but I am now subscribed.

Top Bottom