• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They're not going to ban Toronto Age to Community are they? ARE THEY?

I imagine all the city threads will eventually. It'll be too bad, since it will mean a lack of new members in Toronto-Age, but I'll link the thread in any news stories I post in OT regarding Toronto, so hopefully new members keep finding us.

Roto13

Man, we're all being, like, brainwashed by the man, man. Man.

If you are not a moron, advertising will not control your mind. I know this from experience.

Azih

Man, we're all being, like, brainwashed by the man, man. Man.

If you are not a moron, advertising will not control your mind. I know this from experience.

If you're paying attention advertising will not control your mind. Otherwise it just becomes a part of the common wisdom that people just accept.

I was shocked by how many people were just straight up repeating Conservative attack ad talking points about Michael Ignatieff back in 2010 for example.

I was shocked by how many people were just straight up repeating Conservative attack ad talking points about Michael Ignatieff back in 2010 for example.

Most people will believe anything they see on tv or even on the internet without questioning it even for a second.
I can't believe some of the fake shit people believe and spread around facebook. You can tell people anything and they are just dying to believe it.

By the way, I heard that if you do acid more than 5 times then you are declared legally insane.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I live close by and nope, nadda. The woodbine centre there now has closed a bunch of its shops... Maybe that's a sign of things to come?
Do you know the new RBC that was built last summer right next to the Woodbine Centre? I have it on good authority that an extremely good looking fellow worked on that job. ;)

cbox

Do you know the new RBC that was built last summer right next to the Woodbine Centre? I have it on good authority that an extremely good looking fellow worked on that job. ;)

Hey Thanks! I enjoyed working there!
Kidding :p

I never see anyone in that bank, it's always empty haha

Most people will believe anything they see on tv or even on the internet without questioning it even for a second.
I can't believe some of the fake shit people believe and spread around facebook. You can tell people anything and they are just dying to believe it.

By the way, I heard that if you do acid more than 5 times then you are declared legally insane.

If the purpose of these hack-ads was to get people talking about advertising, I believe it worked.

Toronto photo of the day:

7004709215_f268b5a56a_b.jpg

dantehemi

Just thought I'd throw this out see if anyone has any recommendations.

So I am thinking about getting into golf this year but I'm definitely going to take some lessons. Does anyone here know of any reputable places I could go to learn.

Whether in Toronto or around me in Vaughan/Thornhill.

Thank you advance you are all lovely...except Kraftwerks, he and only he gets my hate.

My friend is a golf pro at angus glen. He's a great guy, very easy to get along with and Also a great teacher. He has his CPGA tour card and all that. I can PM you his info if you want?

In my opinion, it would be a great idea to get lessons. I'm not a heavy golfer (usually I shoot in the 120's some times I shoot in the 110 range.) last year I took 5 lessons from him and proceeded to break 100 for the first time in my life.

Golf is too technical to learn on your own

Willectro

Banned
So I've been looking to start an apprenticeship in the skilled trades for a little over a month now. I'm leaning towards either a millwright or elevator mechanic, but I am flexible if the right opportunity comes up. I've called a bunch of businesses, unions, and colleges but no one wants apprentices. The problem is, the 2 trades I've mentioned require that you get accepted as an apprentice before you can be admitted to the associated college program. So trying to better yourself in the meantime is tough. It's frustrating because for the last 5+ years all I've heard from the media and government is that no one is going into the trades and there is a demand. I think I've found out why.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice/suggestions?

cbox

Are you in school for either by chance? Usually schools have apprenticeship programs.

EDIT: wait, you need to work first before going to school?

Willectro

Banned
Are you in school for either by chance? Usually schools have apprenticeship programs.

EDIT: wait, you need to work first before going to school?

No, I'm working an office job. And it seems most trades vary in terms of how to start. Some require a college diploma first, some you need to be employed as an apprentice to gain entrance to the post-secondary program.

Azih

yeah, but 300 pages cost like 1cent/page to photocopy, and cant take very long to bind at all. less than 10$/MP. vs 200$/tablet?

Labour is expensive, don't forget somebody has to photocopy, deliver, store, etc.

On the other hand IT costs and what to do when they lose/break the tablets?

dantehemi

So I've been looking to start an apprenticeship in the skilled trades for a little over a month now. I'm leaning towards either a millwright or elevator mechanic, but I am flexible if the right opportunity comes up. I've called a bunch of businesses, unions, and colleges but no one wants apprentices. The problem is, the 2 trades I've mentioned require that you get accepted as an apprentice before you can be admitted to the associated college program. So trying to better yourself in the meantime is tough. It's frustrating because for the last 5+ years all I've heard from the media and government is that no one is going into the trades and there is a demand. I think I've found out why.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any advice/suggestions?

I work in a skill trade (fire protection sprinklers) one thing I can tell you is, getting into the elevator union is very very very tough, almost impossible. They are the highest paid trade on the job. Followed by sprinkler guys, plumbers, electricians.

A tip might be to go to some of the companies you wish to work with and explain your situation, they might take you on and work with the union to get you accepted.

And your right, no one wants apprentices....the most desirable is a 3rd year worker, as they have a good understanding of the job and don't make full rate yet.

Getting into a skill trade is a great choice (if your unhappy at your current job) the pay is great (85-100k) but it is very hard work.

Have you thought about plumbing or electrician? There are a ton of companies here in Woodbridge that will bend some rules to get a good worker. I know this first hand.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn this crazy city.

Wife was at a local Starbucks and two random women were debating very loudly. I believe they did not know each other.

One was religious...I won't say WHAT religion, but you can probably guess. The other was debating equality among everyone.

So this debate keeps raging on and my wife is trying to work (translating stuff), when the religious woman up and says that minorities make her feel uncomfortable.

At this point, my wife (Korean) jumps in and they start arguing and the religious woman leaves and states that my wife should live her life and not be so offended.

Other tidbits she tried to counter with
- I'm free to express my opinion
- Oh, I didn't mean YOU, I meant minorities among guys

Holy.

Shit.

also, I'LL BRING THIS IN HERE TOO, KAVE_MAN! YOU'RE MY LEAF BROTHER FROM A DIFFERENT MOTHER, BUT WE GOTTA TANK DAMN YOUR EYES!!!!!@!!!

John Blade

Damn this crazy city.

Wife was at a local Starbucks and two random women were debating very loudly. I believe they did not know each other.

One was religious...I won't say WHAT religion, but you can probably guess. The other was debating equality among everyone.

So this debate keeps raging on and my wife is trying to work (translating stuff), when the religious woman up and says that minorities make her feel uncomfortable.

At this point, my wife (Korean) jumps in and they start arguing and the religious woman leaves and states that my wife should live her life and not be so offended.

Holy.

Shit.

also, I'LL BRING THIS IN HERE TOO, KAVE_MAN! YOU'RE MY LEAF BROTHER FROM A DIFFERENT MOTHER, BUT WE GOTTA TANK DAMN YOUR EYES!!!!!@!!!

Well.....they're people like that in Toronto you know. You just need to live with them and try to teach them about other culture. Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to learn. Kinda have the same issue happened to me before. This time, it's the Shark Fin Soup debate. Don't want to discuss about it here but it eventually broil down into racist comment like stop eating what you eat and start eating like what Canadian people eat, Chinese people are like the red neck of human society, Chinese people are locust of society and should be stop as they don't really try to convert into our society, etc.

Yea, they're some dumb people in Toronto, you just have to control your anger when you talk to them as they're don't understand they culture isn't the same as other culture.

Stet

Banned
Well.....they're people like that in Toronto you know. You just need to live with them and try to teach them about other culture. Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to learn. Kinda have the same issue happened to me before. This time, it's the Shark Fin Soup debate. Don't want to discuss about it here but it eventually broil down into racist comment like stop eating what you eat and start eating like what Canadian people eat, Chinese people are like the red neck of human society, Chinese people are locust of society and should be stop as they don't really try to convert into our society, etc.

Yea, they're some dumb people in Toronto, you just have to control your anger when you talk to them as they're don't understand they culture isn't the same as other culture.

I have a lot of issues with Shark Fin Soup, but none of them are racist. I won't defend that guy at all, but unfortunately a lot of people defending the practice seemed intent on making it a racial issue.

I feel like there is less racism in Toronto compared to most cities. Of course there is some - like when my Chinese girlfriend in high school was forced to break up with me by her parents because I'm white. However, incidents like that don't make me think the whole city has a rampant racism problem. Most people I've met don't act that.

Quick

Banned
I've been called an "Oriental" a few times, but I'm in the suburbs. :lol

Though, most of the time, it's old people and they don't know or realize that "oriental" is offensive to some people. It actually amuses me, rather than offend.

Going further with the race issue: on Facebook, I've seen people post this chain message about how the Canadian government is planning on stopping the national anthem from playing in classrooms because it offends immigrants or something. The message concludes by saying that they should just move back to their own country if they don't like it.

That chain message ticked me off that I actually replied to it, knowing better than to do so. What made it depressing was how many people posted in favour of it. When I posted my thoughts, the discussion instantly died off.

Another person posted it a few months later, and I replied once again. Her defence? "lol I just copied it, I didn't read it." She was deleted from my friends list. What makes it ironic is she's also an immigrant.

A friend and I also got into another heated Facebook "conversation" (ugh) when another friend posted a story about the Chinese toddler getting run over by a van and was ignored by a lot of people. Her friends immediately posted shit about Chinese people, and my friend and I did not take kindly to it. What made it worse was she kept going with it.

I feel like there is less racism in Toronto compared to most cities. Of course there is some - like when my Chinese girlfriend in high school was forced to break up with me by her parents because I'm white. However, incidents like that don't make me think the whole city has a rampant racism problem. Most people I've met don't act that.

I know that feel bro. Ex's mom hated me because I wasn't Vietnamese. Spent a whole car ride with them arguing in Vietnamese about me, so I had no clue what they were saying until she told me all about it after we left the car.

John Blade

I've been called an "Oriental" a few times, but I'm in the suburbs. :lol

Though, most of the time, it's old people and they don't know or realize that "oriental" is offensive to some people. It actually amuses me, rather than offend.

Going further with the race issue: on Facebook, I've seen people post this chain message about how the Canadian government is planning on stopping the national anthem from playing in classrooms because it offends immigrants or something. The message concludes by saying that they should just move back to their own country if they don't like it.

That chain message ticked me off that I actually replied to it, knowing better than to do so. What made it depressing was how many people posted in favour of it. When I posted my thoughts, the discussion instantly died off.

Another person posted it a few months later, and I replied once again. Her defence? "lol I just copied it, I didn't read it." She was deleted from my friends list. What makes it ironic is she's also an immigrant.

A friend and I also got into another heated Facebook "conversation" (ugh) when another friend posted a story about the Chinese toddler getting run over by a van and was ignored by a lot of people. Her friends immediately posted shit about Chinese people, and my friend and I did not take kindly to it. What made it worse was she kept going with it.

I know that feel bro. Ex's mom hated me because I wasn't Vietnamese. Spent a whole car ride with them arguing in Vietnamese about me, so I had no clue what they were saying until she told me all about it after we left the car.

All I can say is people should look at both side of the situation. Like the baby incident, they're few people we discussing about it when I was looking for job position. Didn't think about it until one of them say is the Chinese culture don't care too much about they child like how the western people do? That tick me off that I talk to them explain the reason why some Chinese people didn't save the child, the law that trigger the problem, etc. Most of them realize the issues when I explain the problem right now in China except for one who still think it's something with the Chinese culture that make the Chinese that bad like we're some monster who hurt the child because we're too harsh with our kids.

Oh yea, about the shark fin soup, I don't think it's a race problem (but I can see it from that point of view). I am not 100% with the ban but I do think they should be a way we limited how many shark fin can be import into the country. Basically, limited how many people can eat it and force it to be use in only very special occasion.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even care about shark's fin soup. It doesn't taste great anyways, and if it'll stop the hating, I'm fine with never having it again.

It usually devolves into China bashing, which is my biggest problem.

When my wife asked me if I had ever run across any crazy religious people, I said yes, but none I've had to argue with.

Edit: John_Blade, you're new around here...umm...there really is no looking at both sides of the situation when it comes to this forum and China...just fair warning is all!

Biff

Damn this crazy city.

Holy.

Shit.

Show your wife this gif
tumblr_lq0r9yBSYc1qeqbnko1_500.gif

I'm open minded! I ordered dog meat in China just because I saw it on the menu at a restaurant! (my friends were angry when I told them though). Maybe it's cuz I'm a dog walker and they see it as a conflict of interest...

Roto13

I'm open minded! I ordered dog meat in China just because I saw it on the menu at a restaurant! (my friends were angry when I told them though). Maybe it's cuz I'm a dog walker and they see it as a conflict of interest...

I always said if I had a dog I'd name it Gaegogi.

When in Rome, something something.

I've eaten cow's udder. It was milky.

John Blade

I don't even care about shark's fin soup. It doesn't taste great anyways, and if it'll stop the hating, I'm fine with never having it again.

It usually devolves into China bashing, which is my biggest problem.

When my wife asked me if I had ever run across any crazy religious people, I said yes, but none I've had to argue with.

Edit: John_Blade, you're new around here...umm...there really is no looking at both sides of the situation when it comes to this forum and China...just fair warning is all!

I know. From what I am reading on the topic about China, it's a loosing war for people who try to explain the situation when the majority just bark like we're brainwash by the government. Better don't waste my air for that issue.

Question time, do anyone know a good place where they is free internet service (without those sign in stuff) where I can just pop in and use the internet WiFi for job hunting. Because of the strike, I can't go to the library and I try to avoid those coffee shop as they're too loud to do work there. I want something like a quiet area where you can do your work and don't have to worry about people passing by. This strike is giving me a headache.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I know. From what I am reading on the topic about China, it's a loosing war for people who try to explain the situation when the majority just bark like we're brainwash by the government. Better don't waste my air for that issue.

Question time, do anyone know a good place where they is free internet service (without those sign in stuff) where I can just pop in and use the internet WiFi for job hunting. Because of the strike, I can't go to the library and I try to avoid those coffee shop as they're too loud to do work there. I want something like a quiet area where you can do your work and don't have to worry about people passing by. This strike is giving me a headache.

Tons and tons of cafes have it available.

There are also community centres where you can job search that provide free internet. All you have to do is sign up and you can go in and browse the web for jobs and look through papers.

Top Bottom